Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My 997 is at the dealers... question for UK owners...

My dealer called me this morning to say that my car has arrived at the PDI centre in Reading! I wasn't planning on taking delivery until March 1st (new plate and all that) but predictably, I now doubt I can wait that long.

Those of you in the UK, did you find that the Porsche dealer gave you a good part exchange? Mine is offering my about Pounds1k less than I would like, and I'm not clear as to whether they are taking any profit / whether there is much room for manoeuevre bearing in mind they could potentially receive their Pounds72k two months sooner....

Re: My 997 is at the dealers... question for UK owners...

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    My dealer called me this morning to say that my car has arrived at the PDI centre in Reading! I wasn't planning on taking delivery until March 1st (new plate and all that) but predictably, I now doubt I can wait that long.

Those of you in the UK, did you find that the Porsche dealer gave you a good part exchange? Mine is offering my about Pounds1k less than I would like, and I'm not clear as to whether they are taking any profit / whether there is much room for manoeuevre bearing in mind they could potentially receive their Pounds72k two months sooner....

Pounds1k off what you want doesn't seem too bad a spread, it will be even bigger if you wait till March.

My dealer offered me a ludicrously low trade in price for my current car (14 month old BMW 5 series). I was prepared for a lowish bid but thought that as they have several BMW dealerships in their group that it wouldn't be too bad. How wrong was I? Their bid was Pounds2k lower than a BMW dealer as a part ex agaist another BMW. I realise that their showrooms in the UK at least are expensive and that they don't sell as many cars as a BMW dealership so they need to generate more profit on every deal. It was still an eye opening introduction to the Porsche world though.

Well, I have since the post contacted a number of other dealers and have been given the same sort of price (mainly below what the OPC offered actually!)

I have left a message saying I want a bit more, so we'll see what happens. Trouble is, they know that I want the car - so I'll probably end up settling for the lower price.

ISUK - I'm part exing a 15 month old Audi TT so not too different from your situation. I guess the depreciation hit is greatest after such a time period.

Personally, I'd wait the 8 weeks and get the latest reg., just as you originally planned. The only thing I'd consider is top money for the part ex, but only as a consideration.
    Its always better to receive a performance car in the spring when the
    weathers better and there's less rain.

Quote:
    med said:
    Personally, I'd wait the 8 weeks and get the latest reg., just as you originally planned. The only thing I'd consider is top money for the part ex, but only as a consideration.

Med - I would have suggested exactly the same thing, but just knowing that the car is there is too much I'm afraid. I can't wait quite frankly. At least it is a 2005 car and I doubt the reg side of things will make that much of a difference.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    My dealer called me this morning to say that my car has arrived at the PDI centre in Reading! I wasn't planning on taking delivery until March 1st

Just wondering how that happened? You sure it is your car? If not, it's still a nice surprise if it is the exact car you ordered.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:
    My dealer called me this morning to say that my car has arrived at the PDI centre in Reading! I wasn't planning on taking delivery until March 1st

Just wondering how that happened? You sure it is your car? If not, it's still a nice surprise if it is the exact car you ordered.

Yeah, I was quite surprised last December when the dealer phoned me to say it had entered the production cycle. I guess it could be a cancelled order, but my spec is quite unusual eg Slate Grey, non-standard wheel etc.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    but my spec is quite unusual eg Slate Grey, non-standard wheel etc.

That slate grey is fantastic! Great choice. You're one lucky guy. Nice surprise. Now if you could just luck out with some March or April weather like you were planning on.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Quote:
    med said:

Med - I would have suggested exactly the same thing, but just knowing that the car is there is too much I'm afraid. I can't wait quite frankly. At least it is a 2005 car and I doubt the reg side of things will make that much of a difference.

I do know where your coming from, I drove a test car again today and we are all so lucky, this is one hell of a machine, the only thing is it was pouring with rain, hence my comment about spring. My car will arrive in February for March delivery and will probably be stored for 2-3 weeks, a somewhat lesser wait than if you hold on, but when you consider the time you will probably own the car a few weeks is nothing.

If you do decide to take the car, why take the Pounds1,000 drop in part ex, play hard ball with the dealer, its full part ex or hold on and sell your car privately. Why pay Pounds125 per week for a car earlier than expected?

Ed J - I'm facing the same dilemma as you. "My" car is actually in the OPC showroom just now. It was an extra allocation car but is a pretty good spec and almost what I would have ordered from scratch - only major thing missing is the lovely 19" Carrera S alloys. The dealer has said I can have the car on 1st March or take it any time before to suit me. I can't decide whether to wait or just go for it. I'll be sticking a private plate on it anyway and I can't see the 05 reg being worth a whole lot more in a few years time. I just have to get rid of the BMW somewhere for half decent money.

I was pretty well fleeced by Porsche East London - a well specified July 2001 Boxster S which they'd sold to me in the first place. They basically had no interest in the vehicle, and gave me some rubbish about how they'd need to spend Pounds3k on the vehicle to bring it back to minimum spec for resale via an approved dealer (new tyres, new brake discs, paint, RMS etc.). That was before they added their margin as well. When I queried the cost of the refurb they said that the new car division is charged the same by the service division as the customer, so it was no cheaper for them to fix the car up than it would be for me to do the same at an approved service centre.

Their advice to me was to try and sell it myself or talk to an independent dealer. They would probably just send the car to auction instead of reselling it. Their used car showroom was pretty full with all the new 911s/Boxsters just in, so I wasn't really surprised.

Pounds1k below your target price sounds great to me!

Remember you have 2000 miles of running in beofre you can really enjoy it to the full, so that might take up the time to the good weather, so you may want it now.
    As far as trade in prices my offer was so low that I was offered more to sell it to a small sports car dealer for cash and ended up selling it privately.
    You have very little leverage when the car is in demand.

what are you UK guys talking about 'good weather'

isnt that considered black magic? tabooed, banned, and outlawed right?

Good weather is when the rain temperature rises above 3 degrees celsius

My experience with what used to be called AFN Isleworth then Chiswick is that their part-exchange offers are abysmal. That is based on buying 10 Porsches in the UK, all except two from them.
    The worst experiences I had was when I was in the same position as you, a new car on the way and the easiest option was to trade. The best experience I had (in fact the only reasonable one) was when I sold them my 993 without a trade involved.
    Since the trade-in price equates directly to depreciation, the biggest single factor in car ownership costs, I would do the opposite to what some others are recommending and that is to wait until you have got a good price for your existing car (from wherever) and only then take delivery of the new car.
    Don't let the excitement of a new car cost you thousands (unless you are really rich!)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752943 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430624 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868218 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801757 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM