Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SLR Tiff Needell VIDEO Finally!

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/predownload/460/1/free-racing-videos/mercedes-slr.html

its 56mbs, but pretty damn cool, and what a noise inside the car!

Re: SLR Tiff Needell VIDEO Finally!

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/predownload/460/1/free-racing-videos/mercedes-slr.html

that supercharer whine is pretty lame, and look at that nasty body roll of the porker. i guess tiff didn't really like the missing feel of the steering that is typical luxo barge MB either eh.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

that supercharer whine is pretty lame, and look at that nasty body roll of the porker. i guess tiff didn't really like the missing feel of the steering that is typical luxo barge MB either eh.

I guess he didn't, witnessed by the huge grin on his face of disappointment....

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

You didn't hear him make several comments about how lame the feedback and steering was? Or about the weight? Better listen again. At 1800 kg, it's pretty impossible for it not to have those negative qualities of an automatic trannied luxo/barge. And for the record, Tiff always has a huge grin on his face no matter what he's driving.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

You didn't hear him make several comments about how lame the feedback and steering was? Or about the weight? Better listen again. At 1800 kg, it's pretty impossible for it not to have those negative qualities of an automatic trannied luxo/barge. And for the record, Tiff always has a huge grin on his face no matter what he's driving.

What a surprise! An MB not a tracktool. How naive does one have to be?

Repeat after me: All Mercedes Benz cars are biased towards the comfort side in terms of quipment and transmission and engine configuration.

They will NEVER be Porsche's in the same way as Porsche's will NEVER be Mercedes. Simple?

As for the SLR, it is designed to be a comfortable grand tourer, if you throw the SL65 at me, then I'll say yes, good car, cheaper, but isn't it the same as GT2 vs CGT? I'm sure CGT buyers thought GT2 was a viable alternative to the CGT, was it? then you'll say yeah but CGT buyers already have a 911 elsewhere in there garage, well the same can be said of SLR owners and SL's/CL's. Then you'll say yeah but the GT2 and CGT can both handle and do the Ring in under 8 minutes. Thats all well and fine, but to MB owners that doesn't matter, because for them MB has been about comfort, and no car will handle like the CGT and give the same comfort as an S600. There has to be compromises, for Porsche, the design brief from day one is about ultimate feel and laptimes, while for MercedesBenz it is not. there criteria is to make the most comfortable car possible at no expense. AMG's philosophy is to reduce some comfort for "sportiness", as in the sporty "feeling" and not ultimate track superiority. Understand?

The SLR may not be as comfortable as the SL65, because it was designed by McLaren to be a purists car, but since MB conducted heavy research into what their customers wanted, they wanted all the luxury as well. So what you get is satnav/AC/cruise control whatnot and basic conventional suspension. You also get THE most safest car in the world thanks to two nosecones and a handbuilt and supremely powerful AMG engine et al. It may not be a good handler, but its no SL65 as in VERY heavy car that cant handle at all. Its superior to the SL65 in every way apart from ride comfort. Looks is subjective. So you see an amalgamation of two completely different companies produces a car that is half this and half that. The SLR takes the best bits from MB and mixes it with the worst bits of McLaren, as in not enough sound insulation, hard ride. That is, if you look at it from MB's perspective. Which the car should be looked at because its their bucks and their say. you want the SLR to handle like a CGT and have a manual transmission>? You'll never get it.
    You want it to handle so you can respect it as a sportscar, well at 1768kgs its only as good as its weight.

If I came into the Porsche forums and started saying because Porsche's don't have distronic and massaging seats there inferior cars, would my comments be legitimate in keeping with the design brief of a Porsche ? NO
    Just as in the same way your comments are about it being a lame handler and luxo barge auto trannied, cheating engined odd looking thing. For the record, the CGT looks like an MR2 toyota, latest model IMO. When the car is not designed to be something from day one, why punish it for not being able to do something it was never destined to do? You'll say but the SLR was MB's effort at making a sportscar, IT WASN'T, the CLK-GTR 7.3 V12 was, go drive that if you wnat a sportscar. The SLR was destined to be comfortable GT, capable of going seriously fast when needed, a big SL but slightly lighter. You'll think, who teh hell wants to buy such a thing? Answer, MB owners who can afford to. Or possibly even people put off by the CGT's tricky clutch. Who knows?

The point is, and I apologise for the long post, is you are being illogical and inappropriate in suggesting its not a good car on the track. This is an AMG/Mercedes forum for fans of the brand. I umnderstand you're not one of those, and I welcome positive criticism, but negative criticism going against the principles of a brand as a whole is highly questionable, to put it lightly. I realise rennteam is a "sports car" site, but as long as the AMG forum remains, fans of the brand will post in it. (It would be hilarious if the AMG forum closes for good, soon after this post). IMO, rennteam is very Porsche biased, you get a lot of Porsche supremacists, thats fine, thats why you have Nick Berry to point stuff like this out (OT sorry).

hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

regards,

Bilal

Repeat after me: All Mercedes Benz cars are biased towards the comfort side in terms of quipment and transmission and engine configuration.

They will NEVER be Porsche's in the same way as Porsche's will NEVER be Mercedes. Simple?

As for the SLR, it is designed to be a comfortable grand tourer, if you throw the SL65 at me, then I'll say yes, good car, cheaper, but isn't it the same as GT2 vs CGT? I'm sure CGT buyers thought GT2 was a viable alternative to the CGT, was it? then you'll say yeah but CGT buyers already have a 911 elsewhere in there garage, well the same can be said of SLR owners and SL's/CL's. Then you'll say yeah but the GT2 and CGT can both handle and do the Ring in under 8 minutes. Thats all well and fine, but to MB owners that doesn't matter, because for them MB has been about comfort, and no car will handle like the CGT and give the same comfort as an S600. There has to be compromises, for Porsche, the design brief from day one is about ultimate feel and laptimes, while for MercedesBenz it is not. there criteria is to make the most comfortable car possible at no expense. AMG's philosophy is to reduce some comfort for "sportiness", as in the sporty "feeling" and not ultimate track superiority. Understand?

The SLR may not be as comfortable as the SL65, because it was designed by McLaren to be a purists car, but since MB conducted heavy research into what their customers wanted, they wanted all the luxury as well. So what you get is satnav/AC/cruise control whatnot and basic conventional suspension. You also get THE most safest car in the world thanks to two nosecones and a handbuilt and supremely powerful AMG engine et al. It may not be a good handler, but its no SL65 as in VERY heavy car that cant handle at all. Its superior to the SL65 in every way apart from ride comfort. Looks is subjective. So you see an amalgamation of two completely different companies produces a car that is half this and half that. The SLR takes the best bits from MB and mixes it with the worst bits of McLaren, as in not enough sound insulation, hard ride. That is, if you look at it from MB's perspective. Which the car should be looked at because its their bucks and their say. you want the SLR to handle like a CGT and have a manual transmission>? You'll never get it.
    You want it to handle so you can respect it as a sportscar, well at 1768kgs its only as good as its weight.

If I came into the Porsche forums and started saying because Porsche's don't have distronic and massaging seats there inferior cars, would my comments be legitimate in keeping with the design brief of a Porsche ? NO
    Just as in the same way your comments are about it being a lame handler and luxo barge auto trannied, cheating engined odd looking thing. For the record, the CGT looks like an MR2 toyota, latest model IMO. When the car is not designed to be something from day one, why punish it for not being able to do something it was never destined to do? You'll say but the SLR was MB's effort at making a sportscar, IT WASN'T, the CLK-GTR 7.3 V12 was, go drive that if you wnat a sportscar. The SLR was destined to be comfortable GT, capable of going seriously fast when needed, a big SL but slightly lighter. You'll think, who teh hell wants to buy such a thing? Answer, MB owners who can afford to. Or possibly even people put off by the CGT's tricky clutch. Who knows?

The point is, and I apologise for the long post, is you are being illogical and inappropriate in suggesting its not a good car on the track. This is an AMG/Mercedes forum for fans of the brand. I umnderstand you're not one of those, and I welcome positive criticism, but negative criticism going against the principles of a brand as a whole is highly questionable, to put it lightly. I realise rennteam is a "sports car" site, but as long as the AMG forum remains, fans of the brand will post in it. (It would be hilarious if the AMG forum closes for good, soon after this post). IMO, rennteam is very Porsche biased, you get a lot of Porsche supremacists, thats fine, thats why you have Nick Berry to point stuff like this out (OT sorry).

regards,

Bilal

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

regards,

Bilal

wow, that's a lot of words to simply agree with my comments re: tiff's comments in the video you provided. not sure why you went to all the trouble to agree. it's not like i needed you to confirm that what i'd actually seen and heard from tiff happened.

fwiw, automobile magazine this month (in it's comparison of the Murci, SLR, CGT, and Ford GT) was shocked at what a lousy GT the SLR was:

"The SLR is most surprising. Expecting the plushest, easiest-going road machine, we find instead a nervous Nellie that develops a severe tic when faced with anything less than glassy smooth pavement. As Lorio mentions, cruising down a two-lane at a casual 80 mph is 'a white-knuckle experience. The SLR's need for steering correction is constant. Each tiny movement of the wheel threatens to send the car into a ditch or over the yellow line. Yikes.' The SLR positively hates lumpy roads, and the wheel twitches and fights your hands. The handling at four-tenths is so nervous-making that it is easiest to skip the Touchshift manu-matic lever and either use the wheel mounted shift buttons or just dial up automatic and concentrate on staying in the lane.

Gillies is the only one among us who has had track experience with the SLR and points out that everything 'seems to be geared toward warp speed, where it is very good. Brakes and steering really liven up at ten-tenths, and it sounds like a low-flying warbird. But at four-tenths, there is no tactile delight. The brakes can be annoying.'

Sherman agrees: 'Mercedes-Benz set the Wayback machine wrong. It should have gone to the '60s, not the '50s. This whole car is an uncomfortable mix of sporrt and luxury. The ride is punishing, the drive unsatisfying. A superpowerful engine mated to a track-tuned chassis with French stiching to take your mind off the flinty ride, heavy steering, and awkward control responses.'

'It's easy to find the Mercedes in this car but hard to find the McLaren', adds Lorio"

Wow, what DOES this (huge) crap box do well??????? According to Automobile, it's a LOUSY GT and according to Tiff it's a lousy sports car.

ps. they picked the Porsche and you'll love this: "The quality of the Carrera GT's ride is astonishing, despite it's monster wheels and tires, which do follow road grooves enough to notice. But it takes a real cow path to unnerve this car. Steering is alive in your hands, and lateral acceleration blows the others into the weeds."

wow, who'd have thought that porsche would out "GT" MB while kicking it's arse on the track? the SLR is as worthless as it is ugly.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

regards,

Bilal

wow, that's a lot of words to simply agree with my comments re: tiff's comments in the video you provided. not sure why you went to all the trouble to agree. it's not like i needed you to confirm that what i'd actually seen and heard from tiff happened.

fwiw, automobile magazine this month (in it's comparison of the Murci, SLR, CGT, and Ford GT) was shocked at what a lousy GT the SLR was:

"The SLR is most surprising. Expecting the plushest, easiest-going road machine, we find instead a nervous Nellie that develops a severe tic when faced with anything less than glassy smooth pavement. As Lorio mentions, cruising down a two-lane at a casual 80 mph is 'a white-knuckle experience. The SLR's need for steering correction is constant. Each tiny movement of the wheel threatens to send the car into a ditch or over the yellow line. Yikes.' The SLR positively hates lumpy roads, and the wheel twitches and fights your hands. The handling at four-tenths is so nervous-making that it is easiest to skip the Touchshift manu-matic lever and either use the wheel mounted shift buttons or just dial up automatic and concentrate on staying in the lane.

Gillies is the only one among us who has had track experience with the SLR and points out that everything 'seems to be geared toward warp speed, where it is very good. Brakes and steering really liven up at ten-tenths, and it sounds like a low-flying warbird. But at four-tenths, there is no tactile delight. The brakes can be annoying.'

Sherman agrees: 'Mercedes-Benz set the Wayback machine wrong. It should have gone to the '60s, not the '50s. This whole car is an uncomfortable mix of sporrt and luxury. The ride is punishing, the drive unsatisfying. A superpowerful engine mated to a track-tuned chassis with French stiching to take your mind off the flinty ride, heavy steering, and awkward control responses.'

'It's easy to find the Mercedes in this car but hard to find the McLaren', adds Lorio"

Wow, what DOES this (huge) crap box do well??????? According to Automobile, it's a LOUSY GT and according to Tiff it's a lousy sports car.

ps. they picked the Porsche and you'll love this: "The quality of the Carrera GT's ride is astonishing, despite it's monster wheels and tires, which do follow road grooves enough to notice. But it takes a real cow path to unnerve this car. Steering is alive in your hands, and lateral acceleration blows the others into the weeds."

wow, who'd have thought that porsche would out "GT" MB while kicking it's arse on the track? the SLR is as worthless as it is ugly.

That review you posted basically contradicts EVERY review of the SLR and CGT. The nervousness is due to the ultra-hard suspension and 2.7 turn steering. The reviewer is clearly biased to the CGT. How come Mr. Clarkson picked the SLR over the CGT? I'm sure the SLR was giving Clarkson a car which as described by you is practically undriveable.

What a credible review!
    And Its not like I'm saying its a perfect car but what that magazine has done is taken the irks and amplified them by the CGT's redline.

When one review contraditcs every other review of a particular you have to question its credibility. But lets not argue about which magazine is better otherwise we'd be nothing but a pair of magazine racers.

The SLR like I said is an amalgamation of two comepletely different companies, it was basically a complete mix and match, mixing the best bits of MB and worst bits of McLaren.

Ever driven a W124 500E?

And so the debate goes on....

That review you posted basically contradicts EVERY review of the SLR and CGT. The nervousness is due to the ultra-hard suspension and 2.7 turn steering. The reviewer is clearly biased to the CGT. How come Mr. Clarkson picked the SLR over the CGT? I'm sure the SLR was giving Clarkson a car which as described by you is practically undriveable.

What a credible review!
    And Its not like I'm saying its a perfect car but what that magazine has done is taken the irks and amplified them by the CGT's redline.

When one review contraditcs every other review of a particular you have to question its credibility. But lets not argue about which magazine is better otherwise we'd be nothing but a pair of magazine racers.

The SLR like I said is an amalgamation of two comepletely different companies, it was basically a complete mix and match, mixing the best bits of MB and worst bits of McLaren.

Ever driven a W124 500E?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

What a credible review!

Ever driven a W124 500E?

There were three reviewers in that article and they were unanimous in how badly the SLR sucked and how great the CGT was. As for Clarkson, that guy is a clown. The CGT made mince meat out of him. And you are right that MB and McLaren mated to produce a mutt which reflects very poorly on both.

Nope, I've never driven a W124 500E. Why?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

What a credible review!

Ever driven a W124 500E?

There were three reviewers in that article and they were unanimous in how badly the SLR sucked and how great the CGT was. As for Clarkson, that guy is a clown. The CGT made mince meat out of him. And you are right that MB and McLaren mated to produce a mutt which reflects very poorly on both.

Nope, I've never driven a W124 500E. Why?

ive yet to drive a nercedes mclaren SLR, but from what i've heard , the car has a jekyl and hyde personality. on one hand it is a great GT, on the other hand, it is supposed to be an uncompromising sports car...

in the end, in my mind at least, it can't compare to the more focused models produced by F and P, i'm sure it appeals to some people

ive yet to drive a nercedes mclaren SLR, but from what i've heard , the car has a jekyl and hyde personality. on one hand it is a great GT, on the other hand, it is supposed to be an uncompromising sports car...

in the end, in my mind at least, it can't compare to the more focused models produced by F and P, i'm sure it appeals to some people

Quote:
    Moogle said:

It very well could be. The reason I'm skeptical though is any old grandfather (the typical SLR buyer) can test the GTness of a car (ie: it's simple and 100% of the driving population is capable of doing it). However, there are few who can test the 'performance' of a car like Tiff.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

It very well could be. The reason I'm skeptical though is any old grandfather (the typical SLR buyer) can test the GTness of a car (ie: it's simple and 100% of the driving population is capable of doing it). However, there are few who can test the 'performance' of a car like Tiff.

Quote:
    ben, lj said However, there are few who can test the 'performance' of a car like Tiff.

You're forgetting the track-obsessed CGT buying public

The only reason I ask, is the 500E was made by Porsche and Mercedes, maybe then you could comment on that car with regards to two completely different companies collaborating to make a car.....

Quote:
    ben, lj said However, there are few who can test the 'performance' of a car like Tiff.

The only reason I ask, is the 500E was made by Porsche and Mercedes, maybe then you could comment on that car with regards to two completely different companies collaborating to make a car.....

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    Quote:

I think I know what 500 you're talking about. Wasn't it fast as hell? Other than that, I don't know much about it.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    Quote:

I think I know what 500 you're talking about. Wasn't it fast as hell? Other than that, I don't know much about it.

it was bulletproof, fast as hell, handled great, one of the great collaborations in automotive history.

which is more than i can say about the MacMerc

it was bulletproof, fast as hell, handled great, one of the great collaborations in automotive history.

which is more than i can say about the MacMerc

So couldn't the failure of the SLR be attributed to Mclaren's inadequacy at working with MB?

Alss employing coulthard and chris goodwin as test drivers?

So couldn't the failure of the SLR be attributed to Mclaren's inadequacy at working with MB?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I dunno. McLaren's last supercar before this one is still THE measuring stick like 15 years later!

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I dunno. McLaren's last supercar before this one is still THE measuring stick like 15 years later!

We all know there will ever be another car like that one

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM