Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AMV8 Ring Laptime

On BBC's Top Gear tonight, there was a small feature on the hot new cars for 2005, and Jeremy Clarkson chose the AM V8 as the hottest. He then went on to say that it had recently lapped the ring in less than 8 mins. No mention of whether that was the base model or whether it was on street tyres.

Re: AMV8 Ring Laptime

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Jeremy's mouth, he says a lot of things

I heard it from a friend that it did a better lap time than the 996GT3.

This is a rumor (a 7:51 lap time) likely spread by AM for publicity, there is no way a heavier, equally powered, softer setup'd, GT-car like the AMV8 is going to lap the ring any were near a GT3. If it reaches an 8:15 lap its already a good achievement for such a GT. And I'm not putting down the AMV8, its just that its not a car thats made for that purpose, its has its other strong points, just like a 996TT is not a bad car just because it can't lap the ring faster than a GT3 with less power.

I find it hard to believe that the AMV8 is faster than a GT3, but you're too biased against it when you said it's a GT. It is NOT a GT. The DB9 is. The AMV8 is a pure sports car like a 911.

Quote:
    shin said:
    I find it hard to believe that the AMV8 is faster than a GT3, but you're too biased against it when you said it's a GT. It is NOT a GT. The DB9 is. The AMV8 is a pure sports car like a 911.

The 911 is a GT. The GT3 (GT2) are the only pure sports car variants of the 911. That the AMV8 could beat a 911 is not hard to believe, that it could take a GT3 (or GT2) is.

But if the 911 is a Grand Tourer, that would make a 355, a 360 and a Gallardo (all 911's direct competitors) a GT, too, and only a Challenge Stradale, like a GT3, is a 'pure' sports car? I thought they're called 'lightweight' supercars.
    I thought GTs are Ferrari 456 and 612, Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes SL, Aston Martin DB9, and the supposedly fourth model from Porsche.
    Is it just me or do I have a point?

I think you're right shin, your methodology is what the car makers have in mind when they layed out their model plans.

But some enthusiasts have started to regard cars some traditional sports cars as GT's because of the incremental weight gained over the various model cycles.

Ah, I see. Thanks Danny for clearing it up.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    This is a rumor (a 7:51 lap time) likely spread by AM for publicity, there is no way a heavier, equally powered, softer setup'd, GT-car like the AMV8 is going to lap the ring any were near a GT3. If it reaches an 8:15 lap its already a good achievement for such a GT. And I'm not putting down the AMV8, its just that its not a car thats made for that purpose, its has its other strong points, just like a 996TT is not a bad car just because it can't lap the ring faster than a GT3 with less power.

I Think so

P.S: Hi Carlos

Quote:
    danny828 said:But some enthusiasts have started to regard cars some traditional sports cars as GT's because of the incremental weight gained over the various model cycles.

IMHO, the size gain is a problem too. Even if the weight is the same (like 993 to 996), the increased size tends to make a car less nimble also

Quote:
    shin said:

You need to understand the way things work on this board. Any fast time around Holy Grail Ring can only be done by a Porsche. The rest of the cars are merely wannabee's who some how fudged their numbers to achieve the excellent result. Also, any car reviewer who finds another car better than Porsche does not know what he/she is talking about and must be immediately dismissed as being biased against Porsche.

Follow the above rules and you will do well on this board. Or you can be a crusader for balance and truth like me.

Quote:
    shin said:
    But if the 911 is a Grand Tourer, that would make a 355, a 360 and a Gallardo (all 911's direct competitors) a GT, too, and only a Challenge Stradale, like a GT3, is a 'pure' sports car? I thought they're called 'lightweight' supercars.
    I thought GTs are Ferrari 456 and 612, Bentley Continental GT, Mercedes SL, Aston Martin DB9, and the supposedly fourth model from Porsche.
    Is it just me or do I have a point?

No, the 355 and 360 are not sell outs to the GT mass produced buyer like all 996s (and 7s) save for the GT2 and GT3 (though the Gallardo is similarly as numb as the 996 turbo with which it competes). As far as a Stradale like comparison, the GT3 RS is more similar in purpose to the Stradale than is the base GT3. The 911 isn't JUST a GT car but a mix of sports car and GT which is not "pure sports car" IMO. It is more sports car than GT. But, some of those other cars you mention that tip the scales nearer 4k lbs are more GT than sports car.

Carlos, I just found out that the AMV8 weighs 1500kg, that's 40 more kgs more than the 997S. The AMV8 has 50-50 weight distribution; has a longer wheelbase than the 997S, and in overall length is shorter than the 997S; its also lower and wider than the 997S. It is rumored to produce 380, 400 or 410 hp, and 540NM of Torque, as opposed to 400NM of Torque by 997S. Looking at these figures, what makes you so sure that the lap time figures are bogus or fudged up? And lets talks about price, the base AMV8 will be 60K Sterling as opposed to 65K for the base 997S. If I was Porsche, I wouldn't waste time worrying, I would do something to rasie the hp in 997S to 400.

Quote:
    Artik said:
    I Think so

P.S: Hi Carlos

Hey, hola Artik! great to see you here, welcome aboard!

Quote:
    997C2S said:
    Carlos, I just found out that the AMV8 weighs 1500kg, that's 40 more kgs more than the 997S. The AMV8 has 50-50 weight distribution; has a longer wheelbase than the 997S, and in overall length is shorter than the 997S; its also lower and wider than the 997S. It is rumored to produce 380, 400 or 410 hp, and 540NM of Torque, as opposed to 400NM of Torque by 997S. Looking at these figures, what makes you so sure that the lap time figures are bogus or fudged up? And lets talks about price, the base AMV8 will be 60K Sterling as opposed to 65K for the base 997S. If I was Porsche, I wouldn't waste time worrying, I would do something to rasie the hp in 997S to 400.

I see your points, but the 1500kg is a pre-production figure and you know what that means relative to the actui!al weight when it gets produced. Longer wheelbase does not mean better, look at a sedan for example vs an Elise or a Radical. The 50-50 weight distribution is not a good thing in a sportcar, sportcars and racecars have a rear weight bias because that gives better handling character around the bends, better traction and better balance in braking, sedans and more user friendly cars have the 50-50 setup.

The 996TT with its 420HP and Porsche sportier setup did "only" a 7:56, and the rumor claims a 7:51 from the AMV8? ... not even with r-compound tires. Let me put it another way, the mid engined, AWD sporty Lambo Gallardo with 500HP did a 7:50, and so its 570HP bigger brother. The "baby" Aston will do great if it can beat the AM Vanquish's time of 8:17. I'm not going to get into the pricetag because I don't want to compare which is the better car since thats not the intention of my post becuase thats silly, it depends on what you want from a car.

I personally like the AMV8, not to mention that its one of the best if not the best looking sportcar in the scene right now , but my intention is to discard this silly rumor like when people though the 500HP E90-M5 sedan would lap the ring under 8min as publish in pre-production by BMW and the found out that its far from that when Sport Auto took it to the ring. The AMV8 is not meant to be a ring performer, its meant to be a beautiful confortable sportcar smaller more agile Aston Martin with plenty of exclusivety and class. More in line with a Maseratti Coupe than an equally powered 911 version, much less a GT3.

Isn't the AM V8 supposed to be Astons sports car? I thought that was the plan with the DB9 to be the GT car in the line up.

The Vanquish is a very heavy cruiser and its 8.17 ring time was good considering its weight and design.

Its probable that a newer design small Aston, with less weight, 997ish dimensions and 400 hp or more, will lap the 'ring in less time than a older fat Vanquish or DB9.

Aston's obviously getting into the hunt for high end 911 customers with the AM V8. Porsche die hards liking that
    idea is another matter. If the AM V8 delivers performance more than just country club looks, I am sure they will get 911 owners to cross cross shop it, especially if its priced only 10K more than a base 997S.

I am really interested to know better on this topic; a lot of the options I ordered on my 997S is still not available and thus thinking to cancel it and go for the AMV8 if wait is what I have to do and then in 2008 I will get the 997TT. The way I see, I would place the 997 at the bottom then the 997S, then the AMV8 and then the 997GT3 and then the 997TT. I really hope Porsche will not rush into introducing 997TT, I wouldn't want it to get beaten by the AMV8-R.

Comparing Aston models with Porsche models is another swamp of apples and oranges.

A GT3 is very different from a "normal" 911. Turbos are their own universe of speed and handling biased more for comfort than raw sportiness. Maybe the new 997TT will have some GT3 like edgier handling and dynamics. The 997 and 997S are so close to each other in performance,who could really appreciate an S in daily road use over a non S in North America?

As for comparing the Aston V8 to any 997,a Aston will never have that unique Porsche suspension, traction and braking feel.And a Porsche will never match Astons velvet covered brutality, sense of occasion and uniqueness.The Aston is really more like a rich, upper class thug and the Porsche is the line carving workman that secretely dreams of world domination.

I'd rather now buy a fast,good handling Aston than to get another new 911 again. I miss too much Porsches previous design bits of floor hinged foot pedals(now only on the CGT),real gauges instead of a tacky plastic cluster and the fuel filler flap on the drivers side.I wont find those on a new Aston, but I would lament not having them if I buy a new 997.

Porsches seem more synthetic and homogenized with every new and improved model. Knowing that a 997 costs only a few thousand Euros more to make than a Boxster doesn't help either.

Porsches and Astons have more handling and speed than anyone can use on the street in North America so get what floats your boat.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    shin said:

You need to understand the way things work on this board. Any fast time around Holy Grail Ring can only be done by a Porsche. The rest of the cars are merely wannabee's who some how fudged their numbers to achieve the excellent result. Also, any car reviewer who finds another car better than Porsche does not know what he/she is talking about and must be immediately dismissed as being biased against Porsche.

Follow the above rules and you will do well on this board. Or you can be a crusader for balance and truth like me.

Any rational person would be able to see that a GT3 is a good car to start compare the AMV8 to (in order to guess the plausibility of reported lap times) since they have comparable power outputs. Then you realize that it's highly unlikely that the suspension tuning of the AM would be as race oriented as a GT3 suspension and the weight would be another disadvantage. It's not "Porsche centric" to make such observations. Obviously it would be biased if we don't give AM the benefit of the doubt. Heck, a 997 Carrera S wasn't expected to be as fast as it is on the ring so maybe AM was able to take a less race honed car and get some unexpected numbers, it's just unlikely.

We could make the same argument that the AMV8 shouldn't be close to the Ferrari challenge stradale since it's NOT a race car.

Ah, yes, you have a point there. Thanks!

JimFlat6, you're probably the most sensible person on this thread. Cheers

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Isn't the AM V8 supposed to be Astons sports car? I thought that was the plan with the DB9 to be the GT car in the line up.

The Vanquish is a very heavy cruiser and its 8.17 ring time was good considering its weight and design.

Its probable that a newer design small Aston, with less weight, 997ish dimensions and 400 hp or more, will lap the 'ring in less time than a older fat Vanquish or DB9.

Aston's obviously getting into the hunt for high end 911 customers with the AM V8. Porsche die hards liking that
    idea is another matter. If the AM V8 delivers performance more than just country club looks, I am sure they will get 911 owners to cross cross shop it, especially if its priced only 10K more than a base 997S.

That is their target market, 911 owners. According to the CEO, (interviewed when the baby AM was introduced) AM will differentiate themselves from the 911 in two important areas. First, the AM V8 gorgeous styling (as opposed to the form/function approach to Porsche) and second more importantly EXCLUSIVITY(he referenced the mass production of Porsche) . Performance alone, in his view ,would not be the determining factor in motivating a buyer to buy one over the other.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    That is their target market, 911 owners. According to the CEO, (interviewed when the baby AM was introduced) AM will differentiate themselves from the 911 in two important areas. First, the AM V8 gorgeous styling (as opposed to the form/function approach to Porsche) and second more importantly EXCLUSIVITY(he referenced the mass production of Porsche) . Performance alone, in his view ,would not be the determining factor in motivating a buyer to buy one over the other.

As far as exclusivity is concerned: how can a car be exclusive if its engine has been developed and assembled at Ford in Cologne?

I like the AM design. These cars are really beautiful. However, I would not buy one simply as these cars are full of Ford parts and know-how .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

As far as exclusivity is concerned: how can a car be exclusive if its engine has been developed and assembled at Ford in Cologne?

I like the AM design. These cars are really beautiful. However, I would not buy one simply as these cars are full of Ford parts and know-how .

Yeah, not everyone can mass produce motors with chronic RMS failures for 9 model years and counting like Porsche. Maybe Ford could also consult with the designers of the Cayenne motor and see if they could get some of the hesitation Porsche has so daftly designed into it. Outside of the GT2, GT3, TT and CGT motors, Porsche "know how" when it comes to motors hasn't been so impressive since 1997.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

MKSGR,
    Are you saying that you wouldn't consider any of the following cars because they're owned by other mass producers? To give you a few: Aston Martin has Ford influence in it then Ferrari has Fiat in it, Lamborghini has AUDI in it, Bugatti has VW in it, and so on.

This doesn't constitute their exclusivity, IMO.

If it turns out that Aston V8's are made in someone's basment in Dearborn Michigan or by escaped nuns in Cologne coffee shop that would be fine with me.

The Aston V8 is a modified Jaguar item, the V12's are pretty much two modded Mondeo V6's wedded together end to end. Unlike the M96 996 motor,I havent heard of any dodgy engine problems(rms,coolant jacketsshattering,balance shafts self destructing)from current Aston owners at all. As the Porsche M97 997 motor is a newer item, one can hope they fixed the M96's design problems, but they aren't bragging about it.

Like Porsche, Aston buys the parts and completes their own motors. The internals and design are specified to a very high standard. Porsches M96 blocks were made by a Thyssen subsidirary in Spain, I don't know the current who or where of the M97 blocks and internals. Porsche's body stampings are made by BMW, I don't know who makes Astons' alloy and carbon fiber body parts. Neither Porsche or Aston really do much these days but order parts from vendors and assemble them.

If you just have to have a super car made by a company that makes all of its own pieces, wait untill the mid engine Lexus V-10 coupe is launched in 2006. It reportedly
    has a target price of 100K USD and is turning in some very fast 'ring lap times during testing.

Didn't want to reiterate, the AMV8 is only 40kgs more than the 997S; and latest rumours say that it will end up having 396hp & 560NM of torque.
    BTW, it won't be any more exclusive than the 997S, because they will be priced almost same as the 997S if not less.

Quote:
    997C2S said:
    Didn't want to reiterate, the AMV8 is only 40kgs more than the 997S; and latest rumours say that it will end up having 396hp & 560NM of torque.
    BTW, it won't be any more exclusive than the 997S, because they will be priced almost same as the 997S if not less.

exclusitivity is probably more a product of volume vs. price.

The AMV8 is an "all new" car from the corporate folks who brought you the fabulous all new Ford GT - now undergoing it's third recall since debuting a few months ago. Those who think the AMV8 will be a 911 - like daily driver " everyday sports/GT " vs it's older siblings ( same price range and target buyer as 911 vs Ferrari for the DB9 and Vanquish )) may be in for a surprise when something breaks and parts are not avail overnight from Georgia like a 911.Just something to consider and something I'm not sure the Ford people thought out completely for the US market at least with limited service/dealers . Suspect many will be bought but dumped in the first 2 years by the usual , same early adaptors . Without heritage and loyal buyer group and with so many higher performance cars in sedans,GTs, sports cars in that 80-120K USD price range now and piling on tempting a non-loyal buyer , what will maintain it after it's no longer fresh?

Very funny! You seem to imply that recently Porsche has had no recalls and that all parts are available. Is that why 996 and now 997 customers with defective motors have to wait 2-3 weeks to receive not a new replacement engine, but a reconditioned used one?

Since when did Aston have no "heritage"?Fewer dealers,yes,
    but they arent trying to slam product out the door to hapless buyers either like Porsche did to save the company
    in 1998,or pimping rebadged VW trucks with Japanese gearboxes and 60's Lucas like electrical problems.

The left handed attack on Aston via guilt by association from their Ford parentage and the GT is rather specious.It is also ironic that Ford GT's are selling for $100K over sticker as Porsche CGT's languish like over priced 1976 914s on dealers lots.

If you want to buy a Porsche CGT, nows the time!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM