Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Have you every seen a Ferrari...

THAT dirty? I bet not. 997 Carrera S...DRIVEN not SHOWN OFF.

Re: Have you every seen a Ferrari...

Easy to wash too. Can you confirm that the PCCBs do not shed brake material - making an easy job to clean rims (outside and inside)?

It certainly looks that way, the front wheel is the cleanest part of the car! I have to admit, my car may be seen that way from time to time since I wash it maybe once every 2 months except in the summer time, were I wash it a bit more, as long as its not dirty on the inside, its OK for me.

BTW RC, now that the -20mm suspensions are more than well settled in, how would you regard the groud clearance of the front lip? do you have any problems?

Quote:
    RC said:

I don't blame you. An ugly duckling never shows well.

Quote:

Isn't that a little bit of provocation?

That looks like a Photoshop job to me. The top and the greenhouse part are too clean.

Quote:
    Radar said:
    That looks like a Photoshop job to me. The top and the greenhouse part are too clean.

Actually I think it's no photoshop. See, if the car was parked outside and was covered with snow, when the snow melts the top of the car looks cleaner than ever, almost like if you had washed it.

as for body parts closed to the ground, so dirty that it stays that way.

ceramic dust

My PCCBs definitely help with the brake dust, and make it possible to keep the inside of the wheels clean.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I don't blame you. An ugly duckling never shows well.

I suppose you know the ugly duckling story...

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Easy to wash too. Can you confirm that the PCCBs do not shed brake material - making an easy job to clean rims (outside and inside)?

The CGT must have the first batch cause mine get a ton of brake dust on them - though less than steel. The Fcar (though not as dirty as RC's since it was just washed for the first time in a month) however produces zero dust.

Do the new PCCB's make a ton of noise at all? The 2nd generation are not supposed to be so loud.

Robert

Quote:
    rss996 said:
    Do the new PCCB's make a ton of noise at all? The 2nd generation are not supposed to be so loud.

Robert

Not a peep out of mine, and I'm assuming they are Gen 1 since they have brakes duest.

Quote:
    Gauss said:
    Quote:

Isn't that a little bit of provocation?

Nope, it's a prevarication.

Quote:
    rss996 said:

Robert

No noise at all, not even at temperatures below the freezing point. And no visible dust either.
    Only one thing: after driving through snow and streets which have been treated with salt (to melt the snow), I washed my car and observed a very strange and dangerous behaviour of the PCCB. There is almost no brake performance at all at the beginning, it seems that the salt on the brake discs formed some kind of sticky residue together with the warm water from washing, resulting in a very inappropiate and dangerous braking performance for a couple of braking attempts. If you're not prepared to that, you might have a very unpleasant surprise.

I have heard similar reports before, sometimes after washing the PCCB's need to be "dried" with use initially before they bite normally, but as long as you are aware of it it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

that's how my black 996 looks routinely.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I have heard similar reports before, sometimes after washing the PCCB's need to be "dried" with use initially before they bite normally, but as long as you are aware of it it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

But I've also had the same problem with cast-iron disks after a car wash, so I don't know if PCCB disks are any worse than metal disks .......

Some car washes have a sign up telling you to press the brake pedal before driving back onto the road, to "wipe" the disk surface.

hmmmm... I have never had that happen before on mine... maybe it depends on the way we wash them. I water the wheels down with the hose and then wash them by sponge with soap and rinse, but if you use a cash wash which mixes the soap in the jet stream and you direct it at the discs/wheels then the soap may get inside the discs or something

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

But I've also had the same problem with cast-iron disks after a car wash, so I don't know if PCCB disks are any worse than metal disks .......

Some car washes have a sign up telling you to press the brake pedal before driving back onto the road, to "wipe" the disk surface.

For once Fritz my have a point. After washing my 360, I experience diminished braking at least until the pedal has been used a couple of times.

Quote:
    fritz said:

This is not the same "problem" I have with my PCCB. Of course the brake performance is slightly diminuished after washing the car but with the PCCB and winter driving, it seems to be a different issue. I braked several times, even pretty strongly and it had practically no effect on enhancing brake performance. I really think that there is some residue buildup in combination with salt and the warm water incl. the shampoo. I try to pay a little bit more attention to the details of my experience next time I wash my car after driving through snow and salt "treated" streets.

Quote:
    nberry said:After washing my 360, I experience diminished braking at least until the pedal has been used a couple of times.

Yes, thats normal, braking is only slightly dimished and goes quickly in the first jabs at the brakes. But what some people are reporting with the PCCB's is more severely diminished braking that you don't expect to the point that it may even give you a scare when you need to brake, and taking longer to clear up. I have never noticed that with any steel rotors.

Rennteam Moderator? Did you get promoted? Congratulations.

I really like Rennteam as a fellow sporstcar enthusiast for its infos, its ambient and its members, and appreciate all the work thats behind it from those running it, so I'm certainly willing to help out in anything when ever need be

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I really like Rennteam as a fellow sporstcar enthusiast for its infos, its ambient and its members, and appreciate all the work thats behind it from those running it, so I'm certainly willing to help out in anything when ever need be

Excellent choice!!

Nick, did you forget to put the "sarcasm" graemlim at the end of the post there?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM