Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do I have the honor to have the 1st 997S with a blown engine

How's that Trun, you've heard about Mobil 1 haven't you.

Mobil claims that the following is a myth.

"You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1."

Claimed fact "You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn(TM) in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn(TM) is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Chevrolet Corvette
    All Porsche vehicles
    Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
    Dodge Viper
    Ford Mustang Cobra R
    All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn(TM) can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor."

I had discussed this with my gear-head buddies over 20 years ago. We concluded then, and I still believe now, that the cars back then needed the break-in oil (500 - 2000 miles), but we should switch to Mobil 1 after the break-in. Manufacturing technologies have changed alot in the last 20 years. So, stop thinking in the past, because in 2005, "There Is No Substitute" (And that should include the engine).

jb

Re: Do I have the honor to have the 1st 997S with a blown engine

Quote:
    fritz said:
    I thought Ruf was claiming to be the first tuner to do a 997 with a blown engine.

Uugh! When you said blown, did you mean supercharged?

No, Evo already beat em 2 it - again.

Re: Do I have the honor to have the 1st 997S with a blown en

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that when Porsche installs a new engine it is a complete new engine. I don't think they just send a block, I think it is a complete ready to run engine. The dealer just removes one complete engine and installs another.

Phil

Correct. Very easy, plug-and-play installation.

then why 5 days 4 install - especially after waiting so long 4 a replacement motor and having 2 go thru that excrutiating break in all over again?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that when Porsche installs a new engine it is a complete new engine. I don't think they just send a block, I think it is a complete ready to run engine. The dealer just removes one complete engine and installs another.

Phil

then why 5 days 4 install - especially after waiting so long 4 a replacement motor and having 2 go thru that excrutiating break in all over again?

Could it be that some dealers are less experienced than others?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:

Phil

Could it be that some dealers are less experienced than others?

No. There is no excuse for a 5 day R&R replacement of a 911 motor other than service assigning it a low priority. Jiffy Lube could do it a hell of a lot faster than that!

I just started reading this post. So what is the current news jboyko ?

Today is day 13 with the 997 S out of service. I had tried to send an e-mail to Peter Schwarzenbauer with an address that I got over the internet, with no success. I tried several plays on the format, and hacking codes, but to no avail. PCNA Customer Commitment is a direct pathway to my State's Lemon Law. I don't want my money back, I just want what I had originally paid for.

If anyone knows Peter's e-mail, let me know.

Thanks,

jb

Just FedEx a letter
    You will get a reply

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    Today is day 13 with the 997 S out of service. I had tried to send an e-mail to Peter Schwarzenbauer with an address that I got over the internet, with no success. I tried several plays on the format, and hacking codes, but to no avail. PCNA Customer Commitment is a direct pathway to my State's Lemon Law. I don't want my money back, I just want what I had originally paid for.

If anyone knows Peter's e-mail, let me know.

Thanks,

jb

I have been monitoring this thread with great interest. Initially, there were those that thought your claim was bogus. Then they indict you for being unreasonable in asking for a new replacement car. Then you are questioned about being too demanding of Porsche response time.

I do not know for sure but I believe some of the responses came from Porsche employees or from people who are very biased in favor of Porsche. Look out for yourself. You are the victim not Porsche. They are good at selling you a bill of goods so strengthen your resolve and get what you want.

A blown and replaced engine will certainly impact resale value. If you believe otherwise, I have a bridge to sell you.

If I can't get an e-mail address, this is pretty much how the letter that I am sending out tomorrow is going to read.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Good morning Peter,

I am writing this e-mail in the hope that it will cross your computer, if my letter to you does not cross your desk.

The vehicle Vin# wp0ab29945sxxxxxx has been out of service with a defective Intermediate Shaft for 13 days. Whereas, it is not my intention to file for a Lemon Law Refund, as I would prefer to receive an exact new replacement vehicle.

I believe that a replacement of the vehicle is warranted, due to the fact that the vehicle is only 2 months old. The expectation that I had for one of the world's finest automobiles was engineering excellence. Furthermore, the notion of a replacement engine in a premier gentleman's sports car has diminished my confidence in Porsche, as a long term investment.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Sincerely,

jb

FedEx is the best option to get attention. Does this vehicle qualify as a lemon yet? If not, I'm not sure that this letter has enough bite. Why don't you use some of the "I was nearly killed" stuff that you mentioned in your earlier posts. Tell him that potential customers were shocked at how this could have happened, on a car board that thousands of P enthusiasts read and are awaiting the outcome on. He may sympathize and you could catch him on a good day. Good luck.

Today is the 16th day with the Porsche out of service. I called the dealer today, and the service writer told me that the new engine had arrived today. He told me that they are just starting to work on it today, and that the vehicle should be ready by next Tuesday. I reminded him that he still needs to look at the PSM, (PCM for you MJones) because the technician said that it lost power at some point, and he was unsure if it was working or not. So, I may get it back on Tuesday the 21st, or maybe they have to order another part from Germany.

They should just replace the car, before it becomes an official lemon.

jb

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    jboyko said:
    Hey Surf, I believe that Trundle996 and RC deemed that CKH's claim was bogus. What ever happened to Skip.

jb

I'm still waiting for ckh's VIN number but he didn't send me anything yet. If I don't find his VIN number in my mail in the next four days, I delete his posts. And the Admin proposed to delete the user if this proves to be a bogus post. This is no way how to "have fun", thousands of people read this stuff on the internet and it could have a serious impact on Porsche sales. I accept ANY real post regarding problems but bogus ones have to be deleted. No mercy.

Wow I didnt know you guys go that far, thats great. Say goodbye to BSers.

Today is the 20th consecutive day out of service, with a total of 22 days out, since I picked up the vehicle on September 25th. I am going to try one more e-mail attempt for some one at PCNA to get back to me today, before I send out the Certified Lemon Law paperwork.

jb

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    Today is the 20th consecutive day out of service, with a total of 22 days out, since I picked up the vehicle on September 25th. I am going to try one more e-mail attempt for some one at PCNA to get back to me today, before I send out the Certified Lemon Law paperwork.

jb

What a crappy new car experience. Isn't this exactly the reason we buy new - to avoid this crap? If you get the car back, I bet you never get the bad taste out of your mouth - I wouldn't. How can you trust either the car or PCNA not to leave you hanging? How can they be so dense so as to not realize this will probably negatively influence your decisions in the future?

I got my car back yesterday with a new engine, a loose gear box and, a front suspension squeel, when I pull out of a parking spot with the wheels turned all of the way to the right or, the left. The back end broke out this morning at 33 MPH when I was going around a turn. I guess the PSM isn't working correctly. Back to the dealer today.

Bummer.

jb

Yikes! Hope they are able to finally resolve the issues.

GG

120+ on Route 1

I went to the dealer to resolve some of the above issues with the Porsche. I rode as a passenger while their Master Mechanic did the driving. It seems that all of my issues are kind of resolved. Squeel - No big deal. PSM - I got it to work in a parking lot on Frelinghuysen, on my way back to work. Loose gear box - Yeah, it's loose but, that's the way it goes.

I must say that I was a little nervous with the mechanic doing 120+ MPH on Route 1 in a 50 MPH zone. After the Cop gave him a ticket for 83 MPH, I think that the mechanic may curtail his test rides with clients in the future.

Or, maybe I'm getting old.

jb

Now I'm nervous. Just ordered a 997S. April build. May delivery.Any suggestions?

Quote:
    Ryan in SD said:
    Wow I didnt know you guys go that far, thats great. Say goodbye to BSers.

We deleted the User's account because he didn't confirm the claims by providing his VIN number or more details.
    The internet is no kiddy playing zone (well, it might be but not here... ) and making false claims about a broken engine is not only unfair, it might be a case for the Porsche law department.

Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    Now I'm nervous. Just ordered a 997S. April build. May delivery.Any suggestions?

Why are you nervous? I got one of the first 200 cars back in July and didn't have any major problems with it. They just exchanged the clutch because there was a strange noise and nobody knew exactly where it was coming from but I have now almost 7000 km on my car, including winter driving, washing the car, driving it hard, etc. and no problems so far. My dealer also sold several 997 and no problems so far. So why would you have to worry? Don't worry, be happy.

Re: 120+ on Route 1

Quote:
    jboyko said:...PSM - I got it to work in a parking lot ...

I do not want to insult your intelligence as you surely know that PSM is not a total panacea. It will not save your butt if there's no traction.

Quote:
    Loose gear box - Yeah, it's loose but, that's the way it goes.

What do you mean by loose? Is it any different than when you just picked up your brand new car?

I couldn't figure out why the traction control lights never came on, when the rear would break out 18" going 30 - 40 MPH. I took the Porsche to an empty lot and, pushed it until the system started to physically work and the PSM light came on.

The gearbox now has more side to side play than I remembered it to have. Before I went to the service department, I went to the showroom to check out new 997s'. After getting in to two 997s', it was obvious that my gearbox is not what it was. I told this to the Porsche Master Mechanic, and he agreed, but that they were not going to do anything about it. Yep - Yep, good enough.

I never mentioned this before, but I can hear that my new engine has the same "hiccup" or hesitation that my old engine had, when driving steady in second gear at 2900 - 3000 rpms. I think that it could be electrical, the throttle, the engine about to blow, or maybe my foot is not as steady as it used to be.

jb

This may not apply to your situation jb, but just in case it does: The manual says that the gearbox will be a bit stiff during the first 2000 miles. After a 1000 miles so far, mine feels a little better IMHO. First gear was a little difficult when cold, but it's improving. As for the hiccup, does it happen when another driver is on the throttle? Just curious.

Can't thank you enough enough. It's my first Porsche after two 740i's and an M3.I was sold after the test drive and now I'm counting the days.
    The very best for a happy and healthy Holiday Season.

Jboyko:

1 - tranny lever loose - I would habe them fix it.

2 - hiccup - it could be a Variocam Plus issue.

In NJ a vehicle is considered a Lemon if it has been in the shop 20 cumulative days. On the 22nd day, I sent the required registered letter to Gerri Lumsden, at PCNA in Georgia. I then recieved a call from the dealer in the evening, telling me that the vehicle was ready. I picked up the vehicle and I have been driving it without any major problems. But, it has been 12 days since PCNA had received my Lemon paperwork, and no one from PCNA has responded in the required 10.

I really like this car (except for the Playstation throttle, and the sucky navigation) but, can I really trust this car not to be back in the shop again.

Is there anyone at Porsche that cares about customer service. It really seems that the corporate culture of PCNA is "wait and see", "run and hide", or any combination of the words. Maybe a follow up e-mail, letter, or a phone call from Porsche might make me think that they are standing by their product.

It really makes me sick, thinking that I may have to deal with the Porsche system, if I have another vehicle failure.

jb

Who did you get the car from, Catena? I am from Monmouth County...

Do I have the horor to have the 1st 997S with a blown engine

I got my car in Flemington, (really an 80's style VW dealer, what a mistake) but the car broke down 3 miles from Ray. Except for the lack of detail in their paper work, I was fairly happy with Ray's service as a whole. If I ever were to get another Porsche, I wouldn't go anywhere but Ray, unless there was clearly a better dealer out there.

Maybe the people at PCNA don't get it; it ain't about the stinking money, it's about the car, and the way you are treated by Porsche, while you own the car. Porsche has about 200 dealers in the US, to sell 30,000 vehicles. At about 150 vehicles per dealer, customer service should be a hell of a lot better.

jb

Re: Do I have the horor to have the 1st 997S with a blown en

I totally agree...I bought my 996 from Ray, but recently have been buying cars out of state...I bought my Cayenne from Lancaster, PA strictly because they had what I wanted in inventory, and bought my 997S from these guys at Don Rosen in Norristown, PA mainly because they were such a pleasure to deal with...no pressure, worked with me for 10 hours on colors etc...the only problem is now I have to get it serviced at Schneider Nelson down here, and they won't give me a loaner...how's the car running now?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752904 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430573 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255430 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5254 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868177 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801723 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM