Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

HELP! Let's create a New Boxster ad campaign!

Following up on the idea I got from another post, I'd like to invite everyone to help me create an ad campaign for the new Boxster.
    Having seen Gladiators and strange looking ads with ballet dancers and what not, I think it's time we showed Porsche how to make intelligent, witty and selling ads for the new Boxster.

So please feel free to come up with
    *headlines
    *bodycopy
    *ideas
    *pictures/motifs
    *payoffs/slogans

Most important of all is this:
    What is the unique selling point(s) of the new Boxster?
    Why buy a Boxster and not a car from a competitor?

Let's be creative and have some fun!

Re: HELP! Let's create a New Boxster ad campaign!

Not too sure if it's been posted here beofre - but www.sniffpetrol.com have a good one this month....

(Oh, I don't play squash!)

Hehehehe...funny sh*t
    Here it is as inspiration:

Heres a quick test with that James Dean theme.
    Kinda fun to use, although I need a pic where you can actually SEE it's James Dean

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Following up on the idea I got from another post, I'd like to invite everyone to help me create an ad campaign for the new Boxster.
    Having seen Gladiators and strange looking ads with ballet dancers and what not, I think it's time we showed Porsche how to make intelligent, witty and selling ads for the new Boxster.

So please feel free to come up with
    *headlines
    *bodycopy
    *ideas
    *pictures/motifs
    *payoffs/slogans

Most important of all is this:
    What is the unique selling point(s) of the new Boxster?
    Why buy a Boxster and not a car from a competitor?

The selling point of the boxster is it is a car most drivers can have fun driving.. Whether your in traffic, at a road rally or doing track work the car is manageable for most drivers and delivers FUN, FUN, FUN.

Unfortunately, I believe the Boxster days are numbered. The new model introduced for Jan. is not selling and the reasons are well known to Porsche. They will have to make a decision as to saving it by bringing its performance level to the 997 or just dump it.

Personally I do not understand why Porsche cannot have a mid-engine 987 and rear engine 997 with similar performance. Allow the customer to choose which configuration they want. Eventually the market wouuld dictate which car is the most popular. Also, it would quiet the increasing criticism of the millimeter glacial styling approach presently being used by Porsche and seriously impacting its sport car sales.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Personally I do not understand why Porsche cannot have a mid-engine 987 and rear engine 997 with similar performance. Allow the customer to choose which configuration they want. Eventually the market wouuld dictate which car is the most popular.

Because smart companies don't want to sell one or the other of their products, they want to sell BOTH, and the way of doing it is covering different market ranges with each product so it appeals to a broader market population. So the Boxster appeals to a lower price/performance range and the 911 to a higher one thus selling more cars. And being the 911 the economic and historical foundation and multi-generational image of "PORSCHE" along with being a unique nitche that belongs exclusively for Porsche to exploit (unlike the Boxster) and being an incredibly versatile platform allowing them to target a wide market range from Turbos to Carreras, GT2s to a Cabs, a GT3s to AWDC4s, etc. and all in one platform, then this is why Porsche will never compromise the 911 for any other model. i.e. every model Porsche comes out with will compliment the 911 and be projected around it. If a model is similar in performance to the 911 then its going to have different power (boxster and CGT), if its very different in performace it can have same HP (like the Cayenne or future sedan). I know you may want to see the Boxster subtituting the 911 but I'm just explaining why its they way it is.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:

Nberry
    Dr Phil comes with a positive post
    And then Nberry comes in and says the Boxster days are numbered
    I noticed you for a long time and you are very negative
    Can you please let us have some fun!!!!!!!!!

Carlos, I agree with you but as I said in my post on the topic of the pictures in the new Boxster book, I think the current vision Porsche has for the 911 and the Boxster might compromise sales in both models. 911 owners will feel the poor-man's Porsche looks too similar to their car and the Boxster owners will sooner or later feel they are paying too much money for a car that carries the poor-man's Porsche tag. This is why I agree with nberry and feel unless strategy changes, the days for the Boxster are numbered.

Quote:
    dedam said:
    Quote:
    DrPhil said:

Nberry
    Dr Phil comes with a positive post
    And then Nberry comes in and says the Boxster days are numbered
    I noticed you for a long time and you are very negative
    Can you please let us have some fun!!!!!!!!!

I am negative on the 911 but not the Boxster.However I am also realistic. The Boxster faces serious marketing issues. What really drove this point home was listening to very young children 10, 12 and 14 imploring their father who was considering buying a Porsche NOT to buy a Boxster!Their reasons for not wanted one have been discussed above.

Can you imagine when were were young not liking any Porsche? This company has made a ton of money recently and now is going to experience result of their fixation for short term profits.

This started out as a simple request to help me create a fun and different ad campaign for the new Boxster. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I understand the arguments pro and contra the Boxster in the future, and it's an interesting debate - but PLEASE have that discussion elsewhere.

If you have input to HOW (and not WHY we should) make a campaign, please let me know, ok?
    Thanks!

[
    I am negative on the 911 but not the Boxster.However I am also realistic. The Boxster faces serious marketing issues. What really drove this point home was listening to very young children 10, 12 and 14 imploring their father who was considering buying a Porsche NOT to buy a Boxster!Their reasons for not wanted one have been discussed above.

Can you imagine when were were young not liking any Porsche? This company has made a ton of money recently and now is going to experience result of their fixation for short term profits.

You have a big point here
    You can see from my Rennteam members picture where I got the Porsche fever from
    I saw as a young kid Porsche 917 winning Le Mans and the movie Le Mans

Thats why al the young kids today want a Ferrari

Let's bounce tru the hoods y'all.

Now THAT's what I'm talkin bout yawl!
    Givit up fer da Two-dollar-crack-hi-ho-pimpin-Porsche!
    Word!

Lets see more of that..heheh

Perhaps the same pic with the white dude strolling thru South Central L.A. and the heading "U cant touch dis"...?

Heres some inspiration:
    http://www.theautobahn.com/modules.php?s...=view_album.php

I am going to make another one....Have something pretty cool in mind ....

Have you seen the 'Holy Schmoly' ad?

nope?

http://www.lad.lv/~martini/porsche/Videos/Boxster_550_commercial.wmv

Not bad
    Its getting there, but needs more edge IMHO.

Could still use some input here!!! :O))

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Could still use some input here!!! :O))

You created some MONSTERS, Doc.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Personally I do not understand why Porsche cannot have a mid-engine 987 and rear engine 997 with similar performance. Allow the customer to choose which configuration they want. Eventually the market wouuld dictate which car is the most popular.

Because smart companies don't want to sell one or the other of their products, they want to sell BOTH, and the way of doing it is covering different market ranges with each product so it appeals to a broader market population.

Ironically, Porsche Cayenne S sales dropped by nearly exactly the # of Cayenne V6s they sold after introduction!

Quote:
    Because smart companies don't want to sell one or the other of their products, they want to sell BOTH, and the way of doing it is covering different market ranges with each product so it appeals to a broader market population.

They should produce a limited amount of Carrera powered Boxsters. Such a small amount shouldn't hurt overall sales.

Quote:
    Eurospeed said:
    Quote:

They should produce a limited amount of Carrera powered Boxsters. Such a small amount shouldn't hurt overall sales.

Are you kidding? If they offered such a car in limited production there would be more names on the wait list than people buying the 997. Of course we would excluded the great drivers who would opt for a car with its engine hanging over the rear axle despite the fact they having better times and performance with a mid-engine car.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Are you kidding? If they offered such a car in limited production there would be more names on the wait list than people buying the 997. Of course we would excluded the great drivers who would opt for a car with its engine hanging over the rear axle despite the fact they having better times and performance with a mid-engine car.

Sorry Nick, but they did that already and the 911 won. Back in 1970, they had the 914/6 and the 911. Both powered by the same engine or close to it. That year they even entered a single 914/6 in Le Mans. And the finish order for the race was 917/914/911. A single 914 finished ahead of all the 911s. Even though the 914 handled better than the 911, the 911 won in the sales category.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Sorry Nick, but they did that already and the 911 won. Back in 1970, they had the 914/6 and the 911. Both powered by the same engine or close to it. That year they even entered a single 914/6 in Le Mans. And the finish order for the race was 917/914/911. A single 914 finished ahead of all the 911s. Even though the 914 handled better than the 911, the 911 won in the sales category.

If I am not mistaken, the Boxster had higher sales than the 911. That is despite the fact they crippled it in order to protect the 911.

Only recently have Boxster sales plummeted. Porsche, you and the rest of us know why.

"retail" 914/6's had a detuned 911T with less hp than a 911T so as not to compete with the three 911 models T,E,S).

For Nicks sake, I have to add that a 914, even with sagging rear springs, easily outhandles a Ferrari Dino 246. The Dino drove like a truck, had a very high center of gravity and enough ground clearance to easily jump concrete parking barriers.

The 914/6GT as raced had 180hp =/-. They had none of the really evil aerodynamic problems that 911's of that era, had better high speed stability and gas mileage. The factory stopped racing them because the marketing department want to stress 911 sales. Sadly the Boxster has
    no factory racing history.

If you look at a side view of a CGT you will notice that the side glass and windshield angle look very 914 ish.

Here are a couple of sketchy ideas.
    Let me know what you think, and gimme input for new ones or improvements for these. Thanks.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM