Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Purchase advice please

After many years of waiting, the time is right to purchase a 911. I have been following this forum for a number of months now, trying to gather as much information on the current state of affairs with Porsche and their cars. Any now it is time to ask for some advice on a purchase decision.

First off a couple of comments, this is a great forum. Most opinions are thoughtful and interesting. RC, your insight into Porsche is very helpful and appreciated. Thank you for taking the time, energy and resources to make this forum a reality.

First some background, I live in Montreal (Canada), which means we have serious winters from December until the end of March. We get lots of snow, some say more than any other large city(3.5M+ people) on the planet. We also get nights that are -30C.

This would suggest that the 911 should be parked for the winter, but I would really prefer to drive a car all year round. Not on the worst of days, the SUV can handle that, but on the nice winter days, why not? Living in the country, there is always snow and ice on the roads until April. This is a fact of life here.

My personal preference in a 911 has always been the turbo. From the first one I saw in '76 until now, it has always been the car of desire. I have been riding superbikes for a long time (which have now been retired because of family/children) and the turbo always seemed like a great alternative, maybe not as quick as a bike, but close enough.

The current generation of turbo with 4 wheel drive would suggest that it would handle less than perfect road conditions as well. Pierre's story of his winter drives, would seem to re-enforce the opinion that the turbo can handle winter. Not to mention, Porsche's own marketing with turbos' being shown in the Canadian winter...

The car would be used as daily transportation and a weekend car for the mountain twisties (summer only). High speed (ticket collecting) highway travel is not interesting to me. What is most interesting is cornering and acceleration on mountain roads.

So my first question is: Can the current generation 911 turbo be a daily drive in a city with real winters? Is the car built to take the abuse of cold, ice, snow, and salt? Or am I deluding myself in thinking that a Porsche sports car can handle winter?

Second/third question is: I cannot decide whether it is best to wait for the new 997TT or order a 2005TT. Is the current generation turbo still available for order (non 'S') or have they stopped accepting orders. Is there any more clarity on when a new 997TT would be available in the market?

Forth question: There have been a few nightmare stories with regards to new 997's and system faults. There is no doubt that the current generation have bugs that are being fixed, only to make next years that much more reliable. Would this suggest that the new 997TT will also have similar issues, or will the new TT be built with most of the problems taken care of? In other words, is the next generation built from 996TT and 997 technology or is based upon new and yet to be proven electronic systems?

I want to buy and keep the car for at least 10 years. I am not the kind of person that wants to keep trading in a car for the latest and greatest. I want a high quality product that will go 200,000+km without major headaches. Spending time at the dealer in other words is not something that interests me and is very expensive (not in dollars, but in time).

If the TT cannot handle winter, then I will purchase a CS for the summer months. If the TT can handle winter, is it best to wait for the new one or order the proven current generation?

Thanks,

Re: Purchase advice please

I know at least a Canadian who drove an 11 in Ottawa as a daily driver. However, do expect the ravaging results of harsh winters - the car will see accelerated wear over time. During the Winter, a turbo will be underutilized (as far as power goes).

Not getting a great response to your questions, so I'll give you my comments from previous mountain living with an older Porsche at that time. With proper snow tires AWD cars do fine in snow up to a point. That issue is ground clearance, either wet snow that packs up underneath or berms from plowing, that you can't negociate with limited ground clearance. If that isn't a big problem in your area then a 996TT would be fun, otherwise you might consider a Cayenne TT. I don't know the Canadian market but there are some new and used 996TT buys in the US right now. With your CDN $ doing well right now it might make sense to import one. Can't help you on the 997 questions, haven't had any experience with one.

I just purchased a 997, so no experience YET in NY winters, which can be brutal at times. In the same breath, I do have a bit of experience with my 2001 C4 Cabriolet that handled just fine in the snow and ice and I used it as my daily ride. Further, this was without snow tires, but I will tell you that you must maintain enough tread on the tire to be safe (had one experience driving from NYC to NJ in a snowstorm that was anything but fun, but my own fault for not getting new tires). Also, note that this was a C4, so this would be a different ride.

I personally don't believe the commercials where they have some guy tearing around a moutain pass with tons of snow and ice or on some lake in Europe.

On the 997 the low ground clearance 3.8" (96.5mm) could be the largest problem, as previously stated.

Quote:
    TheOldMan said:
    After many years of waiting, the time is right to purchase a 911. I have been following this forum for a number of months now, trying to gather as much information on the current state of affairs with Porsche and their cars. Any now it is time to ask for some advice on a purchase decision.

First off a couple of comments, this is a great forum. Most opinions are thoughtful and interesting. RC, your insight into Porsche is very helpful and appreciated. Thank you for taking the time, energy and resources to make this forum a reality.

First some background, I live in Montreal (Canada), which means we have serious winters from December until the end of March. We get lots of snow, some say more than any other large city(3.5M+ people) on the planet. We also get nights that are -30C.

This would suggest that the 911 should be parked for the winter, but I would really prefer to drive a car all year round. Not on the worst of days, the SUV can handle that, but on the nice winter days, why not? Living in the country, there is always snow and ice on the roads until April. This is a fact of life here.

My personal preference in a 911 has always been the turbo. From the first one I saw in '76 until now, it has always been the car of desire. I have been riding superbikes for a long time (which have now been retired because of family/children) and the turbo always seemed like a great alternative, maybe not as quick as a bike, but close enough.

The current generation of turbo with 4 wheel drive would suggest that it would handle less than perfect road conditions as well. Pierre's story of his winter drives, would seem to re-enforce the opinion that the turbo can handle winter. Not to mention, Porsche's own marketing with turbos' being shown in the Canadian winter...

The car would be used as daily transportation and a weekend car for the mountain twisties (summer only). High speed (ticket collecting) highway travel is not interesting to me. What is most interesting is cornering and acceleration on mountain roads.

So my first question is: Can the current generation 911 turbo be a daily drive in a city with real winters? Is the car built to take the abuse of cold, ice, snow, and salt? Or am I deluding myself in thinking that a Porsche sports car can handle winter?

Second/third question is: I cannot decide whether it is best to wait for the new 997TT or order a 2005TT. Is the current generation turbo still available for order (non 'S') or have they stopped accepting orders. Is there any more clarity on when a new 997TT would be available in the market?

Forth question: There have been a few nightmare stories with regards to new 997's and system faults. There is no doubt that the current generation have bugs that are being fixed, only to make next years that much more reliable. Would this suggest that the new 997TT will also have similar issues, or will the new TT be built with most of the problems taken care of? In other words, is the next generation built from 996TT and 997 technology or is based upon new and yet to be proven electronic systems?

I want to buy and keep the car for at least 10 years. I am not the kind of person that wants to keep trading in a car for the latest and greatest. I want a high quality product that will go 200,000+km without major headaches. Spending time at the dealer in other words is not something that interests me and is very expensive (not in dollars, but in time).

If the TT cannot handle winter, then I will purchase a CS for the summer months. If the TT can handle winter, is it best to wait for the new one or order the proven current generation?

Thanks,

I can't comment on Canadian winters from London. However, having waited this long, I would strongly advise you to hang on for the 997 Turbo whether it has teething problems or not.. There have been a number of issues reported on this Forum and others with the 997, but I think one can get a skewed view, as this harldy represents a statistically significant sample of total 997s supplied. There is no other sports car that offers what any variant of a 911 does along with decades of superior reliability.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. After reflecting on the comments, my takeaway is that the ground clearance is going to be the biggest problem. Even if the roads are cleared, it is likely that driveways and secondary roadways could be a problem (snow banks, blocks of snow and ice). The likelihood of damage is pretty high, not to mention the effects of salt and sand. So I guess I will do what most 911 owners do and park it for the winter.

So the remaining question is do I buy a current TT or wait for the 997TT. I will check with my local dealer and see if I could arrange a bridge car (used 996TT) until the new model arrives. Maybe this is a good compromise.

Thanks again

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688925 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408890 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255611 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234862 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65451 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857715 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773662 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM