Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

Carlos from Spain:

This is just my humble opinion but if you buy an RS and take the rear wing off just like that, you shouldn't be driving an RS, you bought the wrong car... not that I'm a fan of such rear wings aesthetically, much much preffer the looks of the 911R, but its there for a purpose, not for looks, and part of that purpose is why you would buy such a car in the first place. Again just my opinion though.

Not just your opinion, also mine.   Smiley

If the rear spoiler is deemed by its developers to be necessary to optimise the car's stability at high speed, the factory (and Type Approval or car inspection agencies) could not condone the car being driven even on speed-limited public roads without the spoiler fitted for "product liability" reasons. There would, after all, be no way of guaranteeing that the car might not nevertheless at some time be driven at high speeds  -  possibly by someone who might not even know that the car no longer complied with its Type Approval specs. 

--

fritz

Basically I agree, however you could spin it like this: the car you want to buy does not exist... So you make your own...

SciFrog:

Basically I agree, however you could spin it like this: the car you want to buy does not exist... So you make your own...

That course of action is naturally still open to you. To do that, however, you then have to procure your own "homologation" for that unique vehicle to use it on the street, which involves significant effort and expense. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

This is just my humble opinion but if you buy an RS and take the rear wing off just like that, you shouldn't be driving an RS, you bought the wrong car... not that I'm a fan of such rear wings aesthetically, much much preffer the looks of the 911R, but its there for a purpose, not for looks, and part of that purpose is why you would buy such a car in the first place. Again just my opinion though.

If the rear spoiler is deemed by its developers to be necessary to optimise the car's stability at high speed, the factory (and Type Approval or car inspection agencies) could not condone the car being driven even on speed-limited public roads without the spoiler fitted for "product liability" reasons. There would, after all, be no way of guaranteeing that the car might not nevertheless at some time be driven at high speeds  -  possibly by someone who might not even know that the car no longer complied with its Type Approval specs. 

I could not agree more.Smiley 

For years I did not like the wing but more recently found that it distinguishes the car from all other 911's. I have grown to like the wing so much so that I will get a 991.2GT3RS if Porsche builds it.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

For years I did not like the wing but more recently found that it distinguishes the car from all other 911's. I have grown to like the wing so much so that I will get a 991.2GT3RS if Porsche builds it.

but you just sold your GT3... why will the RS suits your driving needs now?  Smiley

anyway, just get in line with the next RS then.  The current .2RS is way over produced.  It is basically everywhere.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:
    nberry:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

but you just sold your GT3... why will the RS suits your driving needs now?  Smiley

anyway, just get in line with the next RS then.  The current .2RS is way over produced.  It is basically everywhere.Smiley

--

Tim

That was also my first thought.  Smiley

The second was:  "Nick, the wing should be there for a good technical reason, not just because it "distinguishes the car"". The 911 GT3 RS is not just a ricer, after all. 
    The wind tunnel test results published by "sport auto" magazine testify that the 911 GTx models, thanks to their pronounced front bumper lips and rear wings, do benefit from considerable aerodynamic downforce at speed. 
    Those who think they could do without the wings because they will not drive at high speeds really could also do without a GTx model, as they would most certainly not benefit from those models' stiffer spring/damper combinations.

--

fritz

olli:

...agreed, Gnil, but I thought this picture was taken during a track day event.

Spirited driving on track will make the absence of the rear wing very obvious in terms of its effect on the handling of the car.

Agreed, I would not take it off for track use. I did not see the car on the track, as she was in a different group the next day. The only thing I know is that she drove on track and had no problems . But now I don't know how fast she was going or not. I will try to find info .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

13414372_497252777140188_41999600_n.jpg 

PTS Grigio Telesto

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I finally finished the LEGO GT3 RS....Click on the link below to see the time lapse video. 

https://vimeo.com/171760667

Targa Tim:
    nberry:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Fair question which I believed I answered in a prior post. 

I have regrets selling my GT3. Despite limited usability on public roads, the car did provide a 'sense of occasion' when driving it. The sound, the feel and the few moments when I could exercise the car were something very special which I now miss. While at my dealer a couple of months ago I saw a new RS being delivered. it's the first time I saw one in the flesh and I was impressed by its styling and its road presence. I decided to buy the .2 iteration should they build one.

in the meantime I fulfilled one on my bucket list items by ordering Targa which recent was built and waiting to be put on a ship. I expect to get it in August and it should hold me over until I can order RS.Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

I was curious about that too Nick and what had changed since you sold the GT3, I understand your reasoning now. Looking forward to your impressions on the Targa, and hopefully on an RS down the line kiss

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Couldn't agree more. I would call it even moronic to remove the wing for various (technical and safety) reasons we have discussed here. This doesn't change the fact that I would love to see a 911 R without limitation, many many customers would love such a car. Especially now with the turbo charged Carrera models and all... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

nberry:
    Targa Tim:
    nberry:
    fritz:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Tim

Fair question which I believed I answered in a prior post. 

I have regrets selling my GT3. Despite limited usability on public roads, the car did provide a 'sense of occasion' when driving it. The sound, the feel and the few moments when I could exercise the car were something very special which I now miss. While at my dealer a couple of months ago I saw a new RS being delivered. it's the first time I saw one in the flesh and I was impressed by its styling and its road presence. I decided to buy the .2 iteration should they build one.

in the meantime I fulfilled one on my bucket list items by ordering Targa which recent was built and waiting to be put on a ship. I expect to get it in August and it should hold me over until I can order RS.Smiley

Why don't you get a GT4 instead of the GT3/RS? It is cheaper, not so insanely powerful and more old school "sense of occasion".

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

i have now been driving for four days on the notoriously badly surfaced and winding roads of umbria and lazio in central italy with the GT3RS and the car is....EPIC. it feels stable under any road condition, no matter how bad the surface is the car is planted and makes you feel the road and its imperfections very well without being overly harsh. everything was already said about the gearbox and i have nothing to add except to revoke my initial comparison with the F458's gearbox. it turns out that the downshifts are just as emotional as in the ferrari (both cars in their most aggressive setting), the upshifts are maybe a bit smoother in the RS than in the 458 (obviously a programming choice). at this point i cannot imagine a more exciting car for driving hilly and twisty roads (maybe the 458 speciale). the RS is all about connection car-driver-road (the F458 - albeit at least as fast - is way behind in this) and i feel porsche did an admirable job with the car. i feel that the GT3RS 991 will be an all-time high of porsche GT achievements. OMG, what will the GT2RS be like????
    peter

Great to hear you are enjoying it and has met your expectations, grats Peter.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Great to hear you are enjoying it and has met your expectations, grats Peter.

tanks carlos, the gt3rs has far exceeded my expectations.

pride355:
    Gnil:

I was on the Paul Ricard track at Le Castellet this week . ( South of France )

Here are a few pics of the event .

There was this yellow RS, driven by a women who does not like big wings . I did not meet her on track as we were in different groups, but she seemed fine without the wing....

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

--

I love the ducktail style new wing. It is much better than the original, IMO. Kudos to the owner. Smiley

Totally agree, looks fantastic ! hey if an owner wanted the R for it's looks but can't get one this is not a bad option Smiley

pmarkow:

i have now been driving for four days on the notoriously badly surfaced and winding roads of umbria and lazio in central italy with the GT3RS and the car is....EPIC. it feels stable under any road condition, no matter how bad the surface is the car is planted and makes you feel the road and its imperfections very well without being overly harsh. everything was already said about the gearbox and i have nothing to add except to revoke my initial comparison with the F458's gearbox. it turns out that the downshifts are just as emotional as in the ferrari (both cars in their most aggressive setting), the upshifts are maybe a bit smoother in the RS than in the 458 (obviously a programming choice). at this point i cannot imagine a more exciting car for driving hilly and twisty roads (maybe the 458 speciale). the RS is all about connection car-driver-road (the F458 - albeit at least as fast - is way behind in this) and i feel porsche did an admirable job with the car. i feel that the GT3RS 991 will be an all-time high of porsche GT achievements. OMG, what will the GT2RS be like????
    peter

Trust me, the GT3RS is way ahead of the Speciale. Not even close. I am not missing my Speciale that's for sure.

--

Today is a great day in Sweden: Midsummer Eve!

Slowly starting with some Nürburgring water

1466770883446image.jpeg

Glad Midsommar! 🇸🇪

--

+1 kissindecision

Well... indecision (I guess this kind of off-topic is no problem here, right? angry).

Schwedinnen-zu-Mittsommer.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Its a great day here in Spain too! Smiley 

Today I moved now to the summer house in the country side near the coast for the summer... and following with tradition, there is nothing better than a relaxing summer "siesta"!!!... 

20160624_161622s.jpg

--

Carlos from Spain:

Today I moved now to the summer house in the country side near the coast for the summer... and following with tradition, there is nothing better than a relaxing summer "siesta"!!!... 

20160624_161622s.jpg

Do you have another hammock? I'll come to visit you.  Smiley

--

fritz

Carlos from Spain:

20160624_161622s.jpg

--

quite good in lazio as well:::))))IMG_2282.jpg

This evening I am leaving the RS and the twisties, for the boat and the non speed limited and open lake ! 

IMG_9300.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

--

ha ha ha... awesome pictures! Smileykeep the happy summer feet shots coming! 

--

More feet :-)

1466787204054image.jpeg

Kobalt:

Today is a great day in Sweden: Midsummer Eve!

It is a great day in Switzerland too, thanks to IKEA Smiley

Your photo inspired me to swing by the food shop in IKEA and pick up a lifesaving set of culinary specialities from Sweden. Skål på dig! Smiley

_DSC5393.jpg
    _DSC5389.jpg
    _DSC5386.jpg

--

Gnil:

This evening I am leaving the RS and the twisties, for the boat and the non speed limited and open lake ! 

IMG_9300.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

Ah,yes.  Just do it!   Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690199 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409566 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235131 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65618 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774500 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM