Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Carrera S to arrive within two weeks, questions... help

Hey, my fathers 997 carrera S is to arrive in less than two weeks. We have to decided to let the dealer only remove the shipping tape and whatever, and I will detail the car for my father. I wanted to know what i should expect on a brand new car from porsche. I have good experience detailing cars and do it on the side for some extra money, but I just want to know what to expect with this new car. Should I get that 3M adhesion remover? Should I even consider polish/glazing the car since the finish is so new and perfect, or just only wax?

If i need the 3M adhesion remover when should i use it in the detailing process and where should i expect it? Does the factory protection include a kind of "clear bra" in problem areas? Like i have seen in some other new'ish cars?

Thanks for the read! I am planning on using ONE GRAND omega glaze if needed and ONE GRAND Blitz wax... i am thinking about purchasing some P21s products for the porsche because of P21S probably being better for a german finish, anyway thanks for reading and help would be appreciated!

PS. After the detail, pictures will be provided

Re: 997 Carrera S to arrive within two weeks, questions... help

Also, I have purchased detailing products online from CarCareOnline.com but what are some other sites to look at?
    Also have you guys used that "honey comb" patterned synthetic chamois? I was wondering about purchasing that

Oh and what are some helpful procedures for a new porsche, i have heard that there is a way to properly "break in" yoour brakes, can anyone elaborate?

Re: 997 Carrera S to arrive within two weeks, questions... h

I'd just let the dealer handle it. There's nothing they'd do that won't appear after a few washes anyway even if you spend all the time doing it yourself. You can go to town later with your own detail.....have fun!

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    Hey, my fathers 997 carrera S is to arrive in less than two weeks. We have to decided to let the dealer only remove the shipping tape and whatever, and I will detail the car for my father. I wanted to know what i should expect on a brand new car from porsche. I have good experience detailing cars and do it on the side for some extra money, but I just want to know what to expect with this new car. Should I get that 3M adhesion remover? Should I even consider polish/glazing the car since the finish is so new and perfect, or just only wax?

If i need the 3M adhesion remover when should i use it in the detailing process and where should i expect it? Does the factory protection include a kind of "clear bra" in problem areas? Like i have seen in some other new'ish cars?

Thanks for the read! I am planning on using ONE GRAND omega glaze if needed and ONE GRAND Blitz wax... i am thinking about purchasing some P21s products for the porsche because of P21S probably being better for a german finish, anyway thanks for reading and help would be appreciated!

I agree--don't let them detail the car. You don't want some guy with a dirty rag & bucket of water anywhere near your car. I even put a "do not wash car" sign on the dash when I bring it in for servicing.

You'll need the 3M adhesive remover for the shadow lines from the protective film on various body panels and also the wheels. No need to polish or glaze. Wash the car, use the 3M to remove adhesive lines, rewash, and apply One Grand Blitz. You're set for a few months.

This is a subject where you'll get many opinions--like what's your favorite color, but here's my preferred detailing products:

I used Zymol on my Porsches for 15 years, but got tired of the difficult application/removal process and lack of durability (didn't seem to last more than a month or 2). I heard good things about One Grand Blitz wax, so I tried it and love it. Very easy application/removal and lasts a very long time:
    http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10201

To prep the car before waxing, I wash it with a sheepskin mit:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10222

Start from the top and work your way down and toward the rear, rinsing the mit frequently. I dry with a high quality chamois:
    http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=164

I wash the wheels with a wheel brush I got from Pep Boys.

Twice a year, I clay the surface with Clay Magic after washing, which removes the surface gunk that washing won't remove--it leaves the surface silky smooth:
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/awc-88256.html

I apply the wax with a foam pad--apply to entire car, then buff off with a microfiber towel.

To minimize brake dust sticking to the wheels, I apply RejeX twice a year. It also works great at minimizing windshield bug splats and exhaust tip discoloration:
    http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

The Griot's window cleaner wipes clean the windows better than anything I've used, and you don't get any overspray on your leather dash and door panels:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=H11192

Their lint free towels are great as well:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/search....x=19&search.y=5

If you want to touch up your wheels between washing, I use a California dash duster to dust off the brake dust:
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1011&cid=101

I use the California car duster on the painted surfaces between washing--works great. Also use a second dash duster on the interior--gets all the dust off the black interior.
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1014&cid=101

303 Protectant is great for the tires--keeps them black with a matte finish (I don't like shiny tires!) and lasts several washings:
    http://www.performanceproducts.com/Produ...;producttype=10

I use WD40 to get rid of the tape residue, followed by washing with dawn to get rid of any left over WD40 then Clay then Zaino.

Quote:
    poursha said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

I agree--don't let them detail the car. You don't want some guy with a dirty rag & bucket of water anywhere near your car. I even put a "do not wash car" sign on the dash when I bring it in for servicing.

You'll need the 3M adhesive remover for the shadow lines from the protective film on various body panels and also the wheels. No need to polish or glaze. Wash the car, use the 3M to remove adhesive lines, rewash, and apply One Grand Blitz. You're set for a few months.

This is a subject where you'll get many opinions--like what's your favorite color, but here's my preferred detailing products:

I used Zymol on my Porsches for 15 years, but got tired of the difficult application/removal process and lack of durability (didn't seem to last more than a month or 2). I heard good things about One Grand Blitz wax, so I tried it and love it. Very easy application/removal and lasts a very long time:
    http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10201

To prep the car before waxing, I wash it with a sheepskin mit:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10222

Start from the top and work your way down and toward the rear, rinsing the mit frequently. I dry with a high quality chamois:
    http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=164

I wash the wheels with a wheel brush I got from Pep Boys.

Twice a year, I clay the surface with Clay Magic after washing, which removes the surface gunk that washing won't remove--it leaves the surface silky smooth:
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/awc-88256.html

I apply the wax with a foam pad--apply to entire car, then buff off with a microfiber towel.

To minimize brake dust sticking to the wheels, I apply RejeX twice a year. It also works great at minimizing windshield bug splats and exhaust tip discoloration:
    http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

The Griot's window cleaner wipes clean the windows better than anything I've used, and you don't get any overspray on your leather dash and door panels:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=H11192

Their lint free towels are great as well:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/search....x=19&search.y=5

If you want to touch up your wheels between washing, I use a California dash duster to dust off the brake dust:
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1011&cid=101

I use the California car duster on the painted surfaces between washing--works great. Also use a second dash duster on the interior--gets all the dust off the black interior.
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1014&cid=101

303 Protectant is great for the tires--keeps them black with a matte finish (I don't like shiny tires!) and lasts several washings:
    http://www.performanceproducts.com/Produ...;producttype=10

thanks for your input! I appreciate it, i do like ONE GRAND Blitz wax, but i may purchase a P21S wax for the german finish, i dunno, oh and the car is SEAL GRAY and the dealer told my father today that the car has landed in Baltimore!!!

I cant wait for it, probably less than a week now!

Quote:
    poursha said:
    [

Yeah Me too. "do NOT wash" all over the place when mine goes in for service. Haven't you've seen them dunk that brush at the end of a broom stick in a bucket of dirty soapy water and just hack away at your paint, and your wheels and lower parts of fenders where dirt collects?

Plus they use soap, not caring about the wax they just stripped off.

Never let 'em wash your car!

OH, I would avoid that clay bar: use as last resort only. It can only be used a few times on the car before it cuts all the way thru the clear coat. Try using mineral spirits (not paint thinner)on cleaned paint to get final pollen, or tree crap, or road grime off.

I use wheel cleaner VERy infrequently, it strips wax like gasoline and the wheels are my least favorite thing to be waxing.

thanks for input! But i would really REALLY appreciate pointers on using that 3M adhesion remover stuff, it kinda scares me, where should i be using it what are somethings i should know before using it

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    thanks for input! But i would really REALLY appreciate pointers on using that 3M adhesion remover stuff, it kinda scares me, where should i be using it what are somethings i should know before using it

Try mineral spirits. They use this stuff to restore priceless works of art at majhor museums in the world. get the pure-est stuff if you feel better about it. It will not hurt paint. Don;t use stuff like acetone or laquer thinner. They are a different class of solvents alltogeather.

Lighter fluid or kerosene is also okay to use on Porsche/BMW paint.

Ok, i just placed an order with CarCareOnline.com

I ordered P21S Concours look wax and the P21S polish (for later) got some microfiber towls, waffle weave chamois, and some other stuff, i will post pictures after detailing

Max, are you kidding about the clay? Clay doesn't take any paint off. It glides above it and picks up those particles that can't be washed off. But it doesn't take the paint off.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    Max, are you kidding about the clay? Clay doesn't take any paint off. It glides above it and picks up those particles that can't be washed off. But it doesn't take the paint off.

Here is what carcareonline.com has to say about clay:

"Many people are touting overspray clay as the new way to "clean" your paint. This is somewhat like washing your face by peeling off the top layer of skin. You will uncover a layer of fresh clean skin, but this may not be the most comfortable nor beneficial experience for your face. Clays smooth the surface of paint by grinding off the microscopic high spots of your paint, much like sandpaper smoothes a piece of wood. They are the best way to remove paint overspray, tree sap build up and other impossible to remove surface contaminants. Realize that you are also removing some paint with the contaminants, so usage of a clay should be utilized only after all other more gentle methods of cleaning your paint have failed."

Since I have not used clay myself, I have no personal opinion on its effectiveness. I am simply repeating what carcareonline.com says about clay.

Phil

Then they don't know what they're talking about, clay will not take paint off.

997 Carrera S to arrive within two weeks, questions... h

Hey, I actually know something here. We probably have as part of Porsche's 20 + step anti-corrosion process, a pre-treatment, an e-coat, mid-prime coat, color-coat, and a clear-coat, for a total of about 6 - 8 mils. (.008") of paint. Whereas, the clear-coat is about 1 1/2 - 3 mils. or as they used to say 3 - 6 coats of clear paint. Most likely, the clear is a water based acrylic. This material will hold up very well against solvents, mild acids, mild base salts, while providing excellent protection of the color-coat (which is usually a satin low gloss finish) from the Sun's UV radiation. The oxidation of the upper surface of the clear-coat can take place (usually as a result of the slightly acidic dry dust, or rain corroding the top layer with the help of the Sun's UV's) if you don't clean the car regulary. This is when and only when you should use polish. The polish is usually slightly base PH in nature, and is really a form of sanding off the top surface to expose the un-oxidized paint surface. Never use a machine when polishing. The machine will push the oxidation into the clean paint, and the heat from the spinning wheel will create a stronger bond between the oxidation and the clean paint. Henseforth, the swirl marks appear. Wash & wax by hand, and use the lightest hand pressure that you can. To remove the road tar, bug or bird splat, (or the rubber around the corner panels, for you Porsche owners) use a prep-solvent, (petrol based neutral) and let the chemical do the work. Don't rub hard, reapply to a clean part of the rag, wash over, and wax away. I usually wash, dry, wax, wet down, dry, wax again, wet down again, and dry. Do this and watch your wife and or girlfriend get jealous. Maybe let her drive it a little.

jb

Texas addict- Clay bars are designed to "shave" off the microscopic "peaks" in the paints profile, so to an extent yes you are trimming so to speak some of the finish off. Like most pro detailers they say use the mildest product first.

So use a polish, if that doesnt get the paint the way you want, then go for a glaze but if that fails you should then opt. for the clay bar. Just dont un-necessarily clay bar you car, its not necessary and is risky...

I would have to say i believe that CarCareOnline.com is a very nice company, i called them the other day to place my order and they are very smart, and offer good advice, plus they only sell the best products in their opinion (they test many products to determine what they will sell)

Anyway, I cant wait for the 997S, should be here pretty soon!

I have been using clay bars on my Porsches for 15 years with great results. Properly used (plenty of lubricant, let the bar glide (don't press hard), constantly fold bar over to reveal fresh surface, throw out after 2 uses), and not over done (I clay twice a year), they are perfectly safe. If it falls on the floor--throw it out. The bar slides along the surface and picks up all the environmental gunk that builds up over time, that washing doesn't remove (road tar, brake dust, tree sap, etc.). Every high end detailer I've come across uses them--you just need to use properly.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:

Not kidding. I'm just reporting what I hear. There's a consensus among car buffs that the stuff is to be avoided. The stuff should be used as a last resort because you can't routinely clay the car without eventual trouble.

But then again Poursha (above) uses it routinely, so I really don't know what's going on with it. We'd need a team of scientists to study his paint.

Great response! Love it when someone knows what they're talking about.

D.

Max, what consensus? Every automotive forum I go to highly recommend using clay. But one thing is for sure, there is no consensus on wax.

ok, clay is fine IN THE RIGHT CONTEXT. You should use it as a last resort... first use the reg. wash, maybe polish if you need to then move up to glaze, then as a last resort use claybar... but you must use that stuff really carefully!

If you are trying to get some enviornment "gunk" sap, bugs etc etc, i would reccomend instead of first using the clay bar try using during the wash period a degreaser... I have heard the ONE GRAND degreaser is good, and i have used and use the P21S Citrus Degreasr, that stuff is great for taking out that "gunk"

anyway, you gotta recognize that a clay bar should really be used sparingly and only if your paint really needs it, but first exhaust the more mild routes ahead of a claybar, or you are un-necessarily wasting time/money on a claybar!

also, dont rely on the internet as you sole source for your information, ask the pro's!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760319 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434176 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259905 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257049 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80697 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871068 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806197 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM