Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review

The Turbo S is definitely fun to drive but I encountered some weird power cutdown when I had only little range left, so I guess there is some sort of energy management which cuts down on power once it "senses" that there could be a range issue. Unfortunately this happened without a warning while I was entering the Autobahn (I fully accelerated, expected full power like before but...), so pretty dangerous.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Never had a lack of power in the model 3. Different tech.  Enjoying the new track mode v2. The next model s will he resolving many current issues. I would not buy the current s or x. 

Took my Exclusive to switch tires back to summer earlier, grabbed the Taycan Turbo as a round around while they work on the 911. 

Biggest issue for me would be the steering wheel is block the sightline to the gauges, I need to till my head left and right to see everything showing. 

--

I had a Taycan 4S with "Performance Battery Plus" the other day. Useable capacity with this pack is 83kWh. I charged the car to 90% and the estimated range was close to 300km range. When driven carefully the car consumes 24 kWh/100km which will result in 10% more range. Compared with my Tesla P100D (which is not the latest version) consumption seems about 15% higher. But I'm with Whoopsy, two very different cars

Leawood911:

Never had a lack of power in the model 3. Different tech.  Enjoying the new track mode v2. The next model s will he resolving many current issues. I would not buy the current s or x. 

Christian probably meant a reduction in power after high power delivery. This happens to the Model 3 as well (I think): some weeks ago there was a Tesla 3 on the Autobahn that wanted to test high-speed acceleration. He accelerated quite nicely up to around 200kph I have to say but then seemed to hit a wall above 200kph. This observation seems to indicate a reduction in power (overheating etc.) at high acceleration/speed. But, of course, I can only tell as an observer from the outside.

schmoell:

I had a Taycan 4S with "Performance Battery Plus" the other day. Useable capacity with this pack is 83kWh. I charged the car to 90% and the estimated range was close to 300km range. When driven carefully the car consumes 24 kWh/100km which will result in 10% more range. Compared with my Tesla P100D (which is not the latest version) consumption seems about 15% higher. But I'm with Whoopsy, two very different cars

How did you like the 4s compared to the turbo s?

I liked it a lot. Obviously it does not have the "punch" of the P100D or the Turbo(S). But for me, this is not that important. For all typical usecases, like overtaking on a country road, it is sufficiently fast. Range could be better, even with the (mandatory) bigger battery

schmoell:

I liked it a lot. Obviously it does not have the "punch" of the P100D or the Turbo(S). But for me, this is not that important. For all typical usecases, like overtaking on a country road, it is sufficiently fast. Range could be better, even with the (mandatory) bigger battery

Smiley

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

Christian probably meant a reduction in power after high power delivery. This happens to the Model 3 as well (I think): some weeks ago there was a Tesla 3 on the Autobahn that wanted to test high-speed acceleration. He accelerated quite nicely up to around 200kph I have to say but then seemed to hit a wall above 200kph. This observation seems to indicate a reduction in power (overheating etc.) at high acceleration/speed. But, of course, I can only tell as an observer from the outside.

From my observations the model 3 pulls hard all the way to 165 mph. Very accurate speedometer as well.  I have not had any indication of loss of power other than when I ran the battery very very low. Under 5%.  At that point it reduced power a lot to get me to the next charger. It had nothing to do with overheating though.  The next gen S and X will be interesting to wait for. 

Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

From my observations the model 3 pulls hard all the way to 165 mph. Very accurate speedometer as well.  I have not had any indication of loss of power other than when I ran the battery very very low. Under 5%.  At that point it reduced power a lot to get me to the next charger. It had nothing to do with overheating though.  The next gen S and X will be interesting to wait for. 

I have to admit it was also a bit unfair (as I was driving in a turbo s)... Up to 125mph the Tesla was quite quick, it seemed, in the rear mirror Smiley Only above 125mph the gap was growing rapidly.

MKSGR:
    Leawood911:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I believe there is a German YouTuber in a model 3 performance chasing a GT3 on the autobahn. He seems to be doing okay. . I don’t have the link but should be easy to find. I have no hit any wall below the top speed. Not a typical use case but the new track mode v2 for my car looks promising. Even gives brake and tire temps. Also a battery and motor temps. 

Leawood911:

I believe there is a German YouTuber in a model 3 performance chasing a GT3 on the autobahn. He seems to be doing okay. . I don’t have the link but should be easy to find. I have no hit any wall below the top speed. Not a typical use case but the new track mode v2 for my car looks promising. Even gives brake and tire temps. Also a battery and motor temps. 

Chasing is idiotic and how do you know that the GT3 driver was driving with full throttle? 😉

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

Chasing is idiotic and how do you know that the GT3 driver was driving with full throttle? 😉

My goodness. I will find the link you can decide how he is driving.  My point was it was a video example of a Tesla on the autobahn going fast. Like millions of other legal drivers on the autobahn.  Geeez. What are we afraid of?  First it was that Tesla is just a one trick pony (even if up until that time that one trick seemed to be vital). Now it is that it can’t sustain mad speeds on the autobahn. Lol.  It also handles very very well btw. 
    Short story is that for actual normal driving and 99% of use case here in good old Kansas nothing can touch the performance and cost. 
    I will not point out that you go fast on the autobahn which I fully endorse and support.  

I already saw the video weeks ago... 😉

--

I figured you had. I have I would be arrested long before overheating the batteries and losing performance.  Having a 911 Turbo does not make much more sense and would result in being arrested much sooner - an interesting fact given that it is slower. 

I went for a test drive of the Tycan Turbo today .

Generally I was very impressed by it . For a mid sized sedan it is incredibly agile, fast , well build and with a stunning look . 

Showed it to my wife who instantly fell in love with it . She road as passenger and wanted to puke after 300 m indecision Not a nice think to do to her on our 19th marriage anniversary  

My two elder sons , nearly 16 and 18 , loved is as much . Not many cars did that effect to them .  One of my son sat behind me . He is 1.92cm and I am 1.87 cm . So my seat was pretty much back . He said he was confortable enough to drive for a few hours . Just had to have the legs at an outside angle . But the seats go way back in the boot , so the rest of the body was pretty confortable . 

Acceleration is like a rocket . I won't comment much about all that as it all has been said . It felt as fast as the Tesla X 100D I drove a few times  indecision  But quality of the inside, style  and general build if way above . 

I was very surprised how the car handles fro such a heavy car . But ... physics are stil there . In a roundabout I took a bit fast, suddenly the car had to correct as the weight + strong torque , pulled the car outside . The car feels not heavy but heavy at the same time  indecision It is all due to the weight being at floor level . It can mislead .  If one day batteries loose half their weight , this car will be a GT3 killer 

One thing was annoying , was tire noise on rough tarmac . When smooth it is so silent , but when on graveled tarmac , then the noise is too present . Don' t know if it is because of the wheel size , tire pressure ( very high ) , or lack of insulation around the wheel arches . 

Would I get it ?  Probably not , not yet at least .  I am not  ready to live without gear changes   . 

But I could see it becoming a car for my wife one day .......

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8890.jpg

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8894.jpg

IMG_8899.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Tire noise could simply be because the rest of the car is so silent, so the tire noise stands out.  Perhaps actual tire noise is no different than a Panamera.  Interesting comment.

Thanks for sharing, seems like a great car, best EV on the market but way overpriced though imo.

But more importantly, congrats on the 19 yr wedding anniversary! wink

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

love the spec, very cool looking car kiss

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Thanks for the writeup wink Looks very good on your driveway indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Gnil:

I

IMG_8899.jpg

The cows seem interested as well Smiley

Thanks for the write up. As mentioned all noises are amplified when no other noise is preset. I recommend loud music. Happy anniversary!!

I wish I were crazy enough to buy one of these. Crazy expensive in this crazy economy.  Love the white calipers...

I see it had the tungsten carbide brakes.. how did these feel? (Also the reg-gen braking)

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Thanks for the comments and anniversary  wished 

The price of this car is just under 200k CHF  or $ 200k   . So about the same  as a very well optioned Carrera 4S ,

We could argue that one gets as much car for the Tayan Turbo then for a 911 Carrera 4S . 

Which one is the most overpriced ?  

But strictly taken as a mid sized sedan , it is crazy expensive .  The sweet spot will be the Taycan 4S . 

Brakes did perfectly their job. I did not drive the car too hard , so I can't comment on fading etc.. But bite is good and precise  and stoping power was excellent . 

As to re-gen , you can turn it on or off, which is pretty cool . When on , it is much smoother then the one on  the Tesla . It '' brakes the car'' but only gently .  I liked it on .  On the Tesla it is like hitting the brakes . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Crazy expensive...perfect description. 👀

--

Eric, thanks for the review, and more importantly congratulations to you and the Mrs. on the anniversary. Hope you got to spend the day well in order to celebrate. All the best!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Eric, thanks for the review, and more importantly congratulations to you and the Mrs. on the anniversary. Hope you got to spend the day well in order to celebrate. All the best!

Oops...seems I overlooked this...congrats from me of course as well. Smiley

--

Congrats Eric and thanks for the pictures and your impressions. It it wasn't for the depreciation I'd already changed the Tesla for the Taycan, but I already burned my fingers. Will have a look again in autumn when the sport turismo is released (maybe).
    btw SWMBO and myself will have 20yr anniversary in 2 weeks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM