Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: new 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

Rossi:

RC:

Besides that, the new Turbo S is not a slow car at all, it can actually keep up with the Huracan LP610-4 pretty well.

Yeah, it actually needs something like a GT4 to show the Turbo its limits. Smiley

The benchmark in performance and manliness Smiley

Hey RC, how is that girlieman GTS cab working out for you? Any plans getting a proper sports car soon?

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Rossi:

RC:

Besides that, the new Turbo S is not a slow car at all, it can actually keep up with the Huracan LP610-4 pretty well.

Yeah, it actually needs something like a GT4 to show the Turbo its limits. Smiley

The benchmark in performance and manliness Smiley

Hey RC, how is that girlieman GTS cab working out for you? Any plans getting a proper sports car soon?

Does your GT4 have plans to get a proper driver any time soon? Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

+1

I´m surprised with this result, would thought the Huracan to be faster. According to every  test I read on car mags the Huracan was always faster than TTS !

--

J.Seven

Now we need to see some clips of Huracan 610 vs 991.2 TTS. 

Hey Gustav, you listening??  LOL

J.Seven:

I´m surprised with this result, would thought the Huracan to be faster. According to every  test I read on car mags the Huracan was always faster than TTS !

From 0-200 kph, the Huracan LP610-4 was always around 0.2-0.4 seconds faster than the 991.2 Turbo S. Considering this minuscule difference, I don't think you will experience much of a performance difference between both cars in real life driving. Also, during acceleration comparison events, I would not shift manually. This is the sure path to defeat. Smiley Switch to sportiest driving mode, maybe even turn off ESP but use auto mode shifting. Nothing beats the computer. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Pulling a switch is not really shifting manually. Can we call it something else. I get this vision of a foot and a clutch working in harmony with a lever in your hand. So sad. 

another run of the 580 huracan v TTS. TTS wins again....just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yOsoEP9Gw

997 GT2RS v 610 Huracan....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDN_7i_slc

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

EnglishManInNY:

another run of the 580 huracan v TTS. TTS wins again....just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yOsoEP9Gw

997 GT2RS v 610 Huracan....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDN_7i_slc

I rather think it is the same run but filmed out of the Porsche.

The GT2 RS performance is a bit disappointing but confirms the performance of this car (very much the same as Huracan LP610).

--

Leawood911:

Pulling a switch is not really shifting manually. Can we call it something else. I get this vision of a foot and a clutch working in harmony with a lever in your hand. So sad. 

It is shifting manually, the driver controls which gear he wants instead of the computer. 

We can just rename the old way with a clutch "foot assisted manual shifting" Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

It is shifting manually, the driver controls which gear he wants instead of the computer. 

We can just rename the old way with a clutch "foot assisted manual shifting" Smiley

I guess I am referring to the manual my wife can't drive. How is that?  Interesting how the GT2 was essentially tied with the Lambo yet we can all agree that the GT2 was certainly manually shifted. To be as quick and row the gears is impressive. 

Why don't we just call the old way "pedal shifting"; manual is with the hand, pedal is with the foot. Pedants can use the phrase "pedal-manual shifting" or "manual-pedal shifting" as they prefer. (Although, since the pedal part is performed first, "pedal-manual shifting" is probably more correct, which is important if you are a pedant.)

So race car drivers in basically all major racing series are shifting automatically? indecision Interesting. 

--

Okay. How about this. The PDK is automatically engaging the clutch, automatically moving to the next year, automatically releasing the clutch but this is done by you manually choosing when all this happens. Like all the real race drivers.  The automatic setting is pretty much the same except that it takes the manual timing part and automates it as well. To top it off we are now also warning people to let the car shift on its own because it's timing is better than manual shifting else you might not be as fast as possible  

Versus -- manually engaging the clutch, manually moving the shift lever to the next gear, manually releasing the clutch all while modulating the throttle (you guessed it) manually. Imagine the fun of starting on a steep hill with traffic behind you. Good fun and real challenges. It is for people looking for interaction and a rewarding driving experience .

you know what is next don't you?  No more selecting drive, reverse or park.  The car will know its destination and make that selection for you based on how your are parked etc.  If you need to select reverse or drive in your car you will be driving an old fashioned manual car which is not as fast at setting the lever to drive as the latest GMNovaDrone  

Race drivers are not there to have fun or enjoy the interaction between man and machine. They are there to cut seconds. Perhaps this is why a turbo S was so boring to drive?  

Still think the GT2 kicked ass while manually shifting.  Rolling start helped though he has launch control but no 4 wheel drive. 

Leawood911:

Okay. How about this. The PDK is automatically engaging the clutch, automatically moving to the next year, automatically releasing the clutch but this is done by you manually choosing when all this happens. Like all the real race drivers.  The automatic setting is pretty much the same except that it takes the manual timing part and automates it as well. To top it off we are now also warning people to let the car shift on its own because it's timing is better than manual shifting else you might not be as fast as possible  

Versus -- manually engaging the clutch, manually moving the shift lever to the next gear, manually releasing the clutch all while modulating the throttle (you guessed it) manually. Imagine the fun of starting on a steep hill with traffic behind you. Good fun and real challenges. It is for people looking for interaction and a rewarding driving experience .

you know what is next don't you?  No more selecting drive, reverse or park.  The car will know its destination and make that selection for you based on how your are parked etc.  If you need to select reverse or drive in your car you will be driving an old fashioned manual car which is not as fast at setting the lever to drive as the latest GMNovaDrone  

Race drivers are not there to have fun or enjoy the interaction between man and machine. They are there to cut seconds. Perhaps this is why a turbo S was so boring to drive?  

Or to could just say "shifting manually" vs "shifting in manual mode"...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Or to could just say "shifting manually" vs "shifting in manual mode"...

The Turbo S was so boring to drive because the car was quiet and almost too perfect. This had nothing to do with PDK. I have PDK in my Carrera 4 GTS Cab and I absolutely love this car.

--

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

Did a GPS based 200-300 kph test on my 991.2 turbo s Cabriolet. The outcome was between 17s and 19s - i.e. 0-300 (just adding the official 0-200 times) should be between 27s and 29s (with the top closed, of course).

MKSGR:

Did a GPS based 200-300 kph test on my 991.2 turbo s Cabriolet. The outcome was between 17s and 19s - i.e. 0-300 (just adding the official 0-200 times) should be between 27s and 29s (with the top closed, of course).

Smiley You didn't post photos and a driving report, shame on you, Markus. Smiley Smiley

Congratulations btw... Smiley

Maybe you want to join us for a possible Rennteam meet around July/August? Me, Lars and others want to meet somewhere around the three country corner (Germany/Austria/Switzerland) and no worries, just for a harmless get together and fun ride, no challenge or whatever crazy stuff (like when we met in Karlsruhe). Could be fun!  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    MKSGR:

Smiley You didn't post photos and a driving report, shame on you, Markus. Smiley Smiley

Congratulations btw... Smiley

Maybe you want to join us for a possible Rennteam meet around July/August? Me, Lars and others want to meet somewhere around the three country corner (Germany/Austria/Switzerland) and no worries, just for a harmless get together and fun ride, no challenge or whatever crazy stuff (like when we met in Karlsruhe). Could be fun!  Smiley

Appologies for that Smiley I will write a short review, promised Smiley

This meeting you mention might be nice! If the timing works for me I am in Smiley

kiss Would be great if you find some time, maybe we can really have a nice meet with lots of cars (and photos) and of course a nice drive and some lunch together. Would be really amazing.

It should be pretty easy for German, Austrian and Swiss users to attend if we find a way to make it happen. Nothing fancy, just a meet on a weekend and having some harmless fun. Maybe Lars and I can find a proper route which also offers a great scenery and a good restaurant along it. blush

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Nice, easy way to agree on a date: www.doodle.com

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Nice, easy way to agree on a date: www.doodle.com

Doodle is your friend...how could I forget? Smiley Smiley

Thanks, will put it to work once we have a plan... Smiley

--

Sport Auto France: Vmax test on Autobahn (AM V8 vs AMG GT S vs 911 Turbo S):

1. Porsche 911 Turbo S

• GPS-topspeed: 334 km/h (claim: 330 km/h)
    • 0-100 km/h: 2,8 s
    • 0-200 km/h: 9,0 s
    • 0-300 km/h: 28,7 s

2. Mercedes-AMG GT S

• GPS-topspeed: 310 km/h (limited, claim: 310 km/h)
    • 0-100 km/h: 3,7 s
    • 0-200 km/h: 11,6 s

3. Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT8

• GPS-topspeed: 292 km/h (claim: 300? km/h)
    • No measured acc. data

Boyko23:

1. Porsche 911 Turbo S

2. Mercedes-AMG GT S

• No measured acc. data

The turbo S numbers are very reliable: I measured 200-300 in a 991.2 turbo S Cabriolet and even the Cabriolet (approx 5000km) does 0-300 in about 28-29s. The coupe should be at least as quick.

Boyko23:

1. Porsche 911 Turbo S

2. Mercedes-AMG GT S

• No measured acc. data

We need to be careful with these test figures since many car magazines are using non-standardized testing methods.

All I can say is that from 80-260 kph, my new R8 V10 Plus and the 991.2 Turbo S Coupe are basically head to head, we tried this on the Autobahn lately. None of us was able to gain an inch, we started at around 80 km/h because it was the Autobahn and it was too risky to stop. From 260 kph (speedo reading) on, the R8 moved VERY slowly away, at around 300 kph I was maybe a car length away. At 305 we had to stop because there was traffic ahead of us.

The latest Sport Auto test figure for the 991.2 Turbo S was 9.7 seconds, the best one was from Autozeitung or AutoBILD Sports Cars with 9.3 seconds I think but these magazines test different than Sport Auto.

991.2 Turbo S, R8 V10 Plus, Huracan, 570S, these cars have basically the same performance in real life. The next performance "class" starts with the 488, 650S and Aventador... 

--

RC:

991.2 Turbo S, R8 V10 Plus, Huracan, 570S, these cars have basically the same performance in real life. The next performance "class" starts with the 488, 650S and Aventador... 

Regarding the 488GTB: I would love to see real test results with real customer cars... You probably heard about the rev limiter topic...

MKSGR:
    RC:

Regarding the 488GTB: I would love to see real test results with real customer cars... You probably heard about the rev limiter topic...

CR has a 488 Spider now...so maybe we all should meet. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

CR has a 488 Spider now...so maybe we all should meet. Smiley Smiley

After the tests we could wait for him so that he can catch up again Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM