Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

My understanding was the RC was now over 50 and loving it.  50 is the new 30.  I'm 52 and feel better than when I was 20.  Since I have been driving Porsches since 15 I never feel old getting out of a sports car.  No midlife crisis for me.

Enjoy RC, in your young age!

PS it helps to have a 34 year old wife...

RC:
    Super Darius:

Congrats RC,i lost this discussion.

i like the R8 more than the old one...but..but...remember you are a Porsche guy.

indecision

I still am, Dario. The GTS stays. Wonderful car. Smiley

The R8 just pushed all the right buttons in my emotional department, one reason I leased it for four years instead of three. Also in the hope that maybe in four years, Porsche will come up with their own R8 competitor. Smiley

The 991.2 Turbo S is a very fast car (probably not really any bit slower than the R8 in real life) but since Porsche hasn't changed anything in the emotional part (exhaust/engine sound), even "ruined" a bit the very direct steering feel of the 991.1 version Smiley and the interior was still looking the same, there was no point in getting the 991.2 Turbo S.

991.2 GT3 or GT3 RS? I get to the track so seldom (maybe once or twice a year), a car like the R8 makes much more sense, considering the guys I am usually having fun with (Carrera GT, 918, Aventador, 458, F12, etc.). Also, the R8 feels like a glove, which is very important for a fun car. I'm not a big fan of mid engined cars but the R8 fits me perfectly, believe it or not. It kind of "supports" my driving style very well. Similar to the 991 Turbo S I had but never really enjoyed because other than on the track and some twisty country roads, the Turbo S was boring like hell.

Watching you switch around cars trying to find that perfect one leads me to believe you will end up with a Ferrari. Based on all your preferences, the mid-engine Ferrari will hit your sweet spot.Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

RC:

No R for me...manual...remember? Also no rear seats, so why bother? I still have the GTS Cab and surprisingly (i have the car over a year now), I do not get tired of it. Smiley In my opinion the best cab on the market (if you exclude the various Spider/Spyder versions of certain super sports cars) and a very good daily driver in C4 flavor.

Sorry but while not quite in the same price category, the California is the best 4 seater open top luxury sport car...

RC,

What do the lack of rear seats in the 911R matter if you are now willing to own an R8?  I get why the car doesn't suit you for other reasons.

The TT I rented during my European tour in October had the virtual cockpit.  It indeed is wonderful, especially for that kind of trip where navigation was used frequently.

vantagesc:

What do the lack of rear seats in the 911R matter if you are now willing to own an R8?

Sssch! Don't tell him there are no rear seats in the R8 Smiley Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

He has covered this guys. Him and his wife made the decision. 

Just let the oll boy enjoy his ride..indecision ...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

RC:
    The problem is: If I let them remove them before I take final delivery of the car, it costs me nothing.

After reading the above, I figured it was unlikely that the stripes would make it to the final delivery  Smiley

Leawood911:

My understanding was the RC was now over 50 and loving it.  50 is the new 30.  I'm 52 and feel better than when I was 20.  Since I have been driving Porsches since 15 I never feel old getting out of a sports car.  No midlife crisis for me.

Enjoy RC, in your young age!

PS it helps to have a 34 year old wife...

Smiley

Not sure I could handle a 34 year old wife though... Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

bluelines:
    vantagesc:

What do the lack of rear seats in the 911R matter if you are now willing to own an R8?

Sssch! Don't tell him there are no rear seats in the R8 Smiley Smiley

Smiley Just realized it... Smiley

Believe it or not, this still bothers me because the kids (and wife) already started to call dibs on who gets to drive with me once I have the car for good. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

nberry:
    RC:
    Super Darius:

Congrats RC,i lost this discussion.

i like the R8 more than the old one...but..but...remember you are a Porsche guy.

indecision

I still am, Dario. The GTS stays. Wonderful car. Smiley

The R8 just pushed all the right buttons in my emotional department, one reason I leased it for four years instead of three. Also in the hope that maybe in four years, Porsche will come up with their own R8 competitor. Smiley

The 991.2 Turbo S is a very fast car (probably not really any bit slower than the R8 in real life) but since Porsche hasn't changed anything in the emotional part (exhaust/engine sound), even "ruined" a bit the very direct steering feel of the 991.1 version Smiley and the interior was still looking the same, there was no point in getting the 991.2 Turbo S.

991.2 GT3 or GT3 RS? I get to the track so seldom (maybe once or twice a year), a car like the R8 makes much more sense, considering the guys I am usually having fun with (Carrera GT, 918, Aventador, 458, F12, etc.). Also, the R8 feels like a glove, which is very important for a fun car. I'm not a big fan of mid engined cars but the R8 fits me perfectly, believe it or not. It kind of "supports" my driving style very well. Similar to the 991 Turbo S I had but never really enjoyed because other than on the track and some twisty country roads, the Turbo S was boring like hell.

Watching you switch around cars trying to find that perfect one leads me to believe you will end up with a Ferrari. Based on all your preferences, the mid-engine Ferrari will hit your sweet spot.Smiley

Good observation, I really loved the 458 Speciale but the new 488 GTB doesn't attract me a bit. Not even a tiny bit. Also, I really liked the F12 and maybe the tdf would have been perfect for me as well.

There is however a huge discrepancy between what I dream of and what I can afford (or put my hands on), so... Smiley

Ferrari isn't really "my" brand though, it is difficult to explain. I feel more attracted to Lamborghini.

I am so happy now I didn't go for the 911 R, another 911 with the same interior wouldn't have made any sense. Sooner or later, I would have had to choose between one of them and I really love my GTS Cab...also because it is the only Cab I have.

So far, the GTS cabriolet is the first car I still want to keep after a year and I have the feeling that the R8 won't be different. 

--

SciFrog:
    RC:

No R for me...manual...remember? Also no rear seats, so why bother? I still have the GTS Cab and surprisingly (i have the car over a year now), I do not get tired of it. Smiley In my opinion the best cab on the market (if you exclude the various Spider/Spyder versions of certain super sports cars) and a very good daily driver in C4 flavor.

Sorry but while not quite in the same price category, the California is the best 4 seater open top luxury sport car...

I agree, the California is a very nice 4 seater cab but I'm not so much into "luxury" sports cars and the California is a bit too much Maserati to me, if you get my point. If I could afford to have ten or more cars in my garage, the California could be one of them but with my limited resources, the California is out of the question.

Also, I truly love the GTS cabriolet, this car always gives me the chills when I drive it and my wife loves it too. Just yesterday, we had a bit of sunshine, my son mentioned how amazingly good this car looks and sounds, so... Smiley

--

Thinking of replacing my 09 California with something else and the only thing that makes sense is a 2014 California 30 if CarPlay was available...

Great choice RC...Enjoy. I am on the list at my Porsche Dealer for the 991.2 GT3. Will be doing a PTS and perhaps a factory delivery. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

bobr:

Great choice RC...Enjoy. I am on the list at my Porsche Dealer for the 991.2 GT3. Will be doing a PTS and perhaps a factory delivery. 

Thanks... Smiley

The 991.2 GT3 and PTS sound great Smiley, was thinking about that as well (GT3 or GT3 RS) but since I already have a 911 (GTS Cab), another 911 didn't really make sense. I have to admit that I got a bit bored of the 911 interior. Smiley

--

In the latest Top Gear UK episode, there is apparently a R8 V10 Plus review...

Also the car was a bit faster than the Huracan on "their" Dunsfold track and the 6th fastest car they tested...ever.

I will try to watch this episode tonight... 

Edit: I just watched it in my office (subtitles were my friend, so I didn't have to turn up the volume) and I liked it. Worth watching. Interesting: On the Dunsfold track, the R8 V10 Plus wasn't just faster than the Huracan but also faster than the 12C and the Aventador. Welcome to the supercar world, Audi. Smiley

--

Sounds great. Just now I'm deep in the negotiations with an Audi-Dealer about an Audi R8 V10 Plus. Next week will be the date for final decision after a scheduled test drive.

Don't know, if the super test is already known. Here's the link just in German, but with a lot of pics. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/supertest/audi-r8-v10-plus-nordschleife-hockenheim-9995517.html

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

If you plan to keep it for long time (ie. you have no problem with higher depreciation), R8 is damn amazing choice kiss

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:

If you plan to keep it for long time (ie. you have no problem with higher depreciation), R8 is damn amazing choice kiss

The current R8 generation could be the last one with a V10 n/a engine, so it could actually keep it's value at some point.

Depreciation? Dealers over here sell cars at huge discounts, even new, so there isn't much money to loose on the R8. Smiley

I guess the R8 is a bit too flashy for many German buyers and this may also have something to do with the price category of the R8. People are willing to pay 200k+ for a Porsche but for an Audi? Smiley I know, I know...the quality is superb but you get my point.

--

We will see what will market say in few years. Although, I agree R8 V10 should keep its value pretty well. Audi changed its image pretty drasticaly for past 10 years. They are producing awesome cars from really small ones all the way to huge sedans like S8 Plus and supercars like R8 so brand value should increase even more in future.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Conny997:

Sounds great. Just now I'm deep in the negotiations with an Audi-Dealer about an Audi R8 V10 Plus. Next week will be the date for final decision after a scheduled test drive.

Do not buy it before the test-drive and please use the steering wheel adjustment to adjust to your height. Otherwise, it won't feel comfortable. There is a review on YouTube (Ausfahrt.tv) and the driver is 1.85, his camera man is 1.94 and both claim to fit perfectly behind the steering wheel, so give it a serious try if you don't feel comfortable from the start.

Don't know, if the super test is already known. Here's the link just in German, but with a lot of pics. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/supertest/audi-r8-v10-plus-nordschleife-hockenheim-9995517.html

This Supertest does not really reflect the capabilities, the car was a bit underpowered (early model?) and it didn't have the Magnetic Ride chassis, which is rumored to be faster on the track because the sportiest setting is no compromise like the standard sport chassis.

In general, the R8 V10 Plus has basically the same performance as the Lamborghini Huracan. Actually, they both even sound the same (I thought there is a difference...). 

Careful: Do not get the R8 V10 Plus with semi-slicks (Audi offers the Pilot Sport Cup 2), they aren't really faster (only if you track race the car you have an advantage after a couple of rounds). The standard PZero is actually a pretty good tire for this car, even in rain.

Good luck with your negotiations... Smiley

--

Milanno:

We will see what will market say in few years. Although, I agree R8 V10 should keep its value pretty well. Audi changed its image pretty drasticaly for past 10 years. They are producing awesome cars from really small ones all the way to huge sedans like S8 Plus and supercars like R8 so brand value should increase even more in future.

Exactly. I leased the car because I can decide after four years if I want a new one or keep this one.

However, you can find R8 V10 Plus, fully loaded (MSRP 210k+ EUR) and basically new, maybe with 500-3000 km only, for under 165k EUR. Or completely new cars around 170-175k EUR or so...depends on the color and options.

So the first heavy "new car" depreciation is actually already gone, no worries here. Smiley

The car is excellent and I still cannot believe I never considered it, just as a used car and first generation model only. I guess I'm too deep into the Porsche stuff...so I was blind. Smiley

--

RC:
    The car is excellent and I still cannot believe I never considered it, just as a used car and first generation model only. I guess I'm too deep into the Porsche stuff...so I was blind. Smiley

I felt the same way when I drove a first generation V10 Convertible with Manual gated shifter - much better than I expected...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:

Good luck with your negotiations... Smiley

Thanks a lot.
    I'll do my very best Smiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Actually, standard Sport chassis on R8 V10 Plus is sportier and faster then Magnetic Ride. Also, Magnetic Ride adds 5kg more. Standard Bucket seats are around 10kg overall lighter then electric sport seats. 

According to my NSU source Magnetic Ride car is around 2s slower on the Ring then the one with standard (only on R8 V10 Plus and specially tuned for it) Sport suspension. But, Magnetic Ride is the best compromise for daily usage. 

Milanno:

Currently I have no plan how long I should keep this car. But that doesn't matter in no way since I've got a very flexible and pricewise interesting financial offer from my dealer. But as said before I'm working on it and maybe I can get a little upgrade...Smiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

It's on. When Conny is done we will all compare the deals and then try to beat it at the local Audi dealer. Porsche will get a letter from Audi demanding they give RC a backseat in a free GT3 and the R8 will begin to show a profit again. 

I wonder what the US Audi dealer have available???  I totally understand the apeal since the neighbor keeps driving by. More like a low altitude fly by. It is impressive even compared to all the other neighborhood supercars. (Not that it's a supercar but I saw the new Aston four door by my office last week.  Things are going well in Leawood. )

I don't have much faith in R8 residuals right now. RC just got one like $30K under sticker and the car has barely even been out.

As I said, they went too safe with the design and thus it's not unique enough anymore. Price jumped a lot too over the years. I remember getting $15K offers over sticker for my original R8 V8 when it came out because it was new, hot, and nothing like it looks-wise. Now that it still looks pretty similar, the new/wow factor is gone and I expect quite heavy depreciation.

Same thing happened with the Huracan. They played it safe and the car dropped over $50K in the first year. There was a 1000 mile 2016 Huracan at the dealer for $239K asking, and most of these have like $260K MSRP at the very least. $30K off for driving off the lot more or less and I honestly believe it's because the design is more evolution than revolution.

On the bright side, the R8 is only $200K-ish so it has less room to fall, but it's definitely not the $160K bargain the original V10 was.

I will be interested in this car once it's in the $150K or lower. Maybe another 12-18 months.

KresoF1:

Actually, standard Sport chassis on R8 V10 Plus is sportier and faster then Magnetic Ride. Also, Magnetic Ride adds 5kg more. Standard Bucket seats are around 10kg overall lighter then electric sport seats. 

According to my NSU source Magnetic Ride car is around 2s slower on the Ring then the one with standard (only on R8 V10 Plus and specially tuned for it) Sport suspension. But, Magnetic Ride is the best compromise for daily usage. 

Only if you are using performance mode DRY and do everything manually.

If you use the Dynamic mode, Magnetic Ride gives you a huge advantage because the whole system (chassis, AWD, gearbox, steering and engine) is interconnected, providing the best performance possible.

I doubt that many drivers will use performance mode on public roads or even on the track because it isn't easy to control. This is basically like Sport Plus (Porsche) but even less ESP control. Not recommended for unexperienced drivers. Tried it on a huge (deserted) parking lot and I was drifting over all four wheels... Smiley

For daily usage (and comfort driving), magnetic ride is a must.

--

noone1:

I don't have much faith in R8 residuals right now. RC just got one like $30K under sticker and the car has barely even been out.

Actually, more like 40+k EUR under sticker. Smiley

As I said, they went too safe with the design and thus it's not unique enough anymore. Price jumped a lot too over the years. I remember getting $15K offers over sticker for my original R8 V8 when it came out because it was new, hot, and nothing like it looks-wise. Now that it still looks pretty similar, the new/wow factor is gone and I expect quite heavy depreciation.

For Germany, the wow factor is still a bit too high, one reason why Germans seem to prefer the 911 Turbo S or something like the BMW M6 instead. 

Same thing happened with the Huracan. They played it safe and the car dropped over $50K in the first year. There was a 1000 mile 2016 Huracan at the dealer for $239K asking, and most of these have like $260K MSRP at the very least. $30K off for driving off the lot more or less and I honestly believe it's because the design is more evolution than revolution.

People who can afford a Huracan outside Germany (where the Huracan is very closely priced to the R8 for example but much more expensive in other markets), also usually can afford the Aventador. Another problem is that Lamborghini kind of lost a bit of their mythos since Audi took over and why not say it, many of these cars are just not that great for unexperienced and/or comfort loving drivers. Ferrari seems to attract more buyers in that particular domain and of course there is McLaren now...

On the bright side, the R8 is only $200K-ish so it has less room to fall, but it's definitely not the $160K bargain the original V10 was.

I will be interested in this car once it's in the $150K or lower. Maybe another 12-18 months.

Like I said before, I do not think the R8 V10 Plus can depreciate much much  further after the initial drop of 40k, just the usual depreciation. However, I leased the car in the hope that after four years, I will either be cured of my Audi R8 fever or I'll go for the next one (if still V10 n/a, which I highly doubt), buy this one (if last V10 n/a) or get a Porsche with similar super sports car emotions (which is still highly doubtful).

--

Leawood911:

It's on. When Conny is done we will all compare the deals and then try to beat it at the local Audi dealer. Porsche will get a letter from Audi demanding they give RC a backseat in a free GT3 and the R8 will begin to show a profit again. 

I wonder what the US Audi dealer have available???  I totally understand the apeal since the neighbor keeps driving by. More like a low altitude fly by. It is impressive even compared to all the other neighborhood supercars. (Not that it's a supercar but I saw the new Aston four door by my office last week.  Things are going well in Leawood. )

Actually, me and Conny are buddies and we already compared the deals privately. Smiley

Let's be real here: The only reason I went for the R8 V10 Plus is the deal and the fact that it is actually a Lamborghini Huracan in an Audi dress. I know Lamborghini fans hate to hear that but they even basically sound the same. Performance is basically identical. Also, the R8 is less "in your face" than the Huracan, which is a huge plus for me here in Germany.

More advantages: R8 specialized dealerships and maintenance/repair shops basically every 20-30 km or so here in Bavaria, no problems with spare parts (usually takes 24-48h at max) and in a worse case scenario, even a Lamborghini dealership could help. Also, I can park this car everywhere without having to be worried to come back and find it scratched all over. Car insurance is also quite affordable (if you can get it insured, my insurance for example refuses to insure the R8 for drivers under 30 years or age...), I pay 1400 EUR per year...FULL coverage. For a Huracan, this would be substantially more expensive (more like double or more).

Btw: I had never any press contact or whatever to Audi, the new R8 V10 Plus was a pretty spontaneous decision and I was actually looking into the "old" version as an "affordable" used car for some weekend fun (next to the GT500 or to replace it).
    The V10 engine is just so incredible, this engine alone is worth getting this car (or even the old model).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759792 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433862 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259773 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256927 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805820 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM