Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Wow, That's a lot of RSs.

ALDO:

not, if you are not guilty.

A friend of mine has 12C and on a parking place in front of a warehouse a woman in Ford Focus or Fiesta (I don´t know) hit him. McLaren calculated the repair cost around 50.000 €. He has some carbon parts. 

How long did it take to repair the car? Just curious.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Don´t know exactly but a few weeks. This was not a problem, he got a car from McLaren. 

A small damage on any carbon part must be replaced. No smart repair. On the other hand their carbon parts are looking pretty cool not like carbon Porsche is using. Porsche is using for a very tiny pattern, I like the pattern from McLaren more.

--

AM

ALDO:

Don´t know exactly but a few weeks. This was not a problem, he got a car from McLaren. 

A small damage on any carbon part must be replaced. No smart repair. On the other hand their carbon parts are looking pretty cool not like carbon Porsche is using. Porsche is using for a very tiny pattern, I like the pattern from McLaren more.

Not sure about it but It seems to me with a McLaren you can send the car to the factory and they can make it brand new if you pay the expensive repairs. Therefore these cars will last forever (or at least until the factory stops producing parts).

wantone:
    ALDO:

Not sure about it but It seems to me with a McLaren you can send the car to the factory and they can make it brand new if you pay the expensive repairs. Therefore these cars will last forever (or at least until the factory stops producing parts).

Sorry, I don´t understand? You mean smart repair is possible? Or you mean with the exchange of broken parts? 

--

AM

Replacing of broken parts.

Track-only McLaren 570S Sprint to Debut at Goodwood 2016

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/GTspirit/~3/zjH2lAMarFk/

The choice of building track-only cars based on the 570 seems like a weird one to me.. Surely someone who can afford such a toy could easily stretch to an even-more-extreme-675LT? The 570 is marketed as a street/every-day-usable car..

Actually a street legal 570 "RS" would be right up my street, but I have no interest in something non-road-legal.. 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

They have a 650s Sprint as well. I'm sure they're pretty similar in performance aside from power.

DaveGordon:

...I have no interest in something non-road-legal.. 

Just put a tow hook on the GT3 and buy a trailer Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Damn. Now whydiddnithinkathat?

--

Picked it up from the dealer yesterday.

Instant CEL, and while sitting in the parking lot right after getting done telling them how I'm sick of how many problems it has had and thinking of selling.

Uhh, no.. Hope you dumped it straight back on them..?

--

Nope, it went off after a couple restarts. I live live 6 hours away from the dealer and had no way of getting home or any place to stay. I told them I'd drive it around the neighborhood a for 20-30 minutes to ensure it's cleared and was maybe just a fluke since a misfire isn't the end of the world. I had to get home somehow. I tried driving it in all sorts of ways, all different revs, played with every mode and button. Did everything to try and make it happen.

It didn't come back on... until I was 100 miles away, doing nothing out of the ordinary.

These cars suck. They can't even get them sorted because they can't even replicate the issues easily. Took 100 miles to get it to happen again. I don't blame them for returning unsorted cars because I have no doubt in my mind the car is fine when they finish with it. They've actually had the car fixed for over a month. I was just out of town and couldn't pick it up. They move the cars all the time and moved it that morning even without any issues. I'm sure they were confident the car was fine.

Guess I gold the Midas touch...

My warranty had just ended which is why it was in their so hastily last month. I told them to make note of the issue and there is no way I'm paying for work to fix this if it doesn't go away on it's own. The CEL wasn't even the reason it was there in the first place. They were fixing something completely different. Car didn't misfire at all before I brought it in.

noone1:

Instant CEL, and while sitting in the parking lot right after getting done telling them how I'm sick of how many problems it has had and thinking of selling.

Sorry to hear that, this must be really really frustrating.

Have you contacted McLaren in the UK directly? 

Now you may understand one of the reasons I got rid of my GT500...next (capable) repair shop is 200 km away. So I had to drive 400 km just to have the oil exchanged and two minor issues (fuel tank ventilation and a minimal coolant loss) fixed. This is unacceptable.

No more car for me without a maintenance/repair shop in my next vicinity and without a proper parts availability system (it took my Mustang guy almost four months to get me a new clutch bell housing because mine has been damaged by the exploding clutch and my bell housing was a very special one to "accommodate" the ducts for the gearbox cooling system since my car had the optional track package). I don't know how long it takes McLaren to get you spare parts but I asked my Audi dealer and he said ANY part, incl. engine, gearbox, drivetrain, whatever is available within 24(!) hours. Same with Porsche over here in Germany, it takes maximum 48 hours to get the parts to the dealership and basically everything is available instantly.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

noone1:

Soort to hear that.

i think you should sell it and get the R8 you always wanted. 

koko:
    noone1:

Soort to hear that.

i think you should sell it and get the R8 you always wanted

He did? Smiley

--

Had the original R8. Wanted the new one to be sweet, but looks to similar for me to buy it. I only will buy a car if it looks significantly different inside and outside.

I'm not overly excited about any current cars except a Ford GT, but I probably won't be selected. Im tempted to just go buy a used S-Class and enjoy a quiet, relaxing ride.

Have you tried the California T? Or how about a 2014 FF for around $200k?

Not cool enough :)

Mid-engine exotic is the only car I'll spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on. For everything else I think it's a waste and I'd rather just have a comfy, much cheaper Mercedes.

I tested a 458 while I was at the dealer. A 2011, so it had the older and louder exhaust. Was way too loud for my taste and seemed dumb that the car just got instantly loud, like flicking a switch, the second you hit 3K rpm or something like that. Sounded great under heavy throttle, but the gargle noise when lifting or downshifting also sounded fake and ugly. Acceleration was ok, but felt way slower than the 12C. Not enough torque. Sounded quick without feeling quick. Interior felt more spacious but seating position paled in comparison to the McLaren which made it feel a bit distant.

$200K is really my limit on a car purchase. I don't see much benefit moving beyond that. I'll probably wait and see what's new on the horizon or what drops in price as they become used. No new cars in the price range really move me to buy them new.

For a new rear mid engine car $200k is very limiting... New R8 or used FF or stick with the macca...

I mean new as in new-ish model. One year old, used is fine to. $200K seems to buy just about everything other than an Aventador and 488. Everything else can be found used around $200K.

458, 12C, 650S, 570S, R8, Huracan, NSX, etc...

I just don't see much performance difference anymore in terms of what you get for $200K. I think McLaren may have spoiled me with just how high of performance they are.

Then Trade in for the 570.

Can't even sell or trade it at this point because it's misfiring. Who would take a car with CEL and throwing codes? I emailed their CEO just now.

Not touching another first year McLaren again, especially if I'm not near the dealer. The car is just bad.

Your dealer will have to take in and might even give you a good deal in the other one. I know someone who had a similar issue with a 612

Have a talk with them. You got nothing to lose.

koko:

Your dealer will have to take in and might even give you a good deal in the other one. I know someone who had a similar issue with a 612

Have a talk with them. You got nothing to lose.

+1.  Might be the only way to monetize your car fairly, and M is still small and personal enough to care about keeping owners onside.

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

DaveGordon:

The choice of building track-only cars based on the 570 seems like a weird one to me.. Surely someone who can afford such a toy could easily stretch to an even-more-extreme-675LT? The 570 is marketed as a street/every-day-usable car..

Actually a street legal 570 "RS" would be right up my street, but I have no interest in something non-road-legal.. 

I told the same to McLaren both marketing and local dealer. If they want to make volume, they just have to release a road legal 570 sprint, and not in a limited versus please as the 675 LT so that we have a chance to get one.

noone1:

Had the original R8. Wanted the new one to be sweet, but looks to similar for me to buy it. I only will buy a car if it looks significantly different inside and outside.

The new R8 is very different inside and quite different outside, you should see both cars back to back. The driving experience is completely different, I drove both old and new and the new one really feels different. The steering is completely different now (very direct, very short steering way vs. old one), the gearbox is highly improved (very very fast) and even the sound is better and louder now, believe it or not. If you didn't have the V10, forget about your past R8 experience. The V10 put a new life into the R8.

I'm not overly excited about any current cars except a Ford GT, but I probably won't be selected. Im tempted to just go buy a used S-Class and enjoy a quiet, relaxing ride.

Smiley

--

570 in depth review by the SaabKyle dude.

Nice video from McL featuring a gentleman in Japan who daily drives his P1...

http://youtu.be/fZRA0LhXWXg

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM