Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Whoopsy:

Literally like 100% tax on electricity. 

So the Ionity premium is around 160% of their cost? Actually not too bad.

IONITY has some sort of deal with Porsche, for a small yearly fee (under 200 EUR), you can charge your Porsche EV for 8 or 9 EUR (I cannot remember) a full charge. Not bad. Especially since they offer those 800V chargers. Unfortunately the next one is 60-100 km away from my location.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-crash/tesla-and-u-s-regulators-strongly-criticized-over-role-of-autopilot-in-crash-idUS...

Finally someone official have spoken up about it.

But serious, Tesla allow up to 3 minutes of hands off the wheel under Autopilot? That's a lifetime, heck even European standards's 15 seconds is too long a time to be driving without control. That limit should be 5 seconds or less. 

And why is Tesla purposely ignore recommendations from 2017 when 5 others didn't?

--

Specially when it is so easy to avoid even just 5 seconds of distraction from the road by the driver by just using a driver facing camera tracking the drivers eyes like other manufacturers are doing, the Model3 already has that camera but it is not being used.

My smartphones already have been doing that for years using the selfie camera to track if you are looking at the screen to avoid shutting the screen off after the timeout if it detects you are still looking at the screen, it is called SmartStay, same is used for the driver not looking at the road or closing their eyes.

But that robs from the illusion that they want to promote of it being an close to full self driving Autopilot system instead of a Level 2 driver assistance system that it is so they avoid it.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Interesting because Norway has been the front runner of EV adoption in Europe.

"Tesla sales collapse in Norway, Audi e-tron takes the lead"

https://www.wheelsjoint.com/tesla-sales-collapse-in-norway-audi-e-tron-takes-the-lead/

--

Carlos from Spain:

https://www.wheelsjoint.com/tesla-sales-collapse-in-norway-audi-e-tron-takes-the-lead/

--

Not surprising given Tesla’s service history in Norway.  Less than two years ago, stories were everywhere about Tesla’s failures to address the Norwegian service issues. 

CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Not surprising given Tesla’s service history in Norway.  Less than two years ago, stories were everywhere about Tesla’s failures to address the Norwegian service issues. 

Tesla has lowered the prices in Europe, which was a wise thing to do but now they need to improve service as well. 

Also, I'm not sure how this online ordering thing is going to work for most of the people here in Germany. I doubt it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Tesla has lowered the prices in Europe, which was a wise thing to do but now they need to improve service as well. 

Also, I'm not sure how this online ordering thing is going to work for most of the people here in Germany. I doubt it.

Well, your fellow citizens will have to adapt as Volkswagen has announced a similar system for the ID.3 in its home market.  Lowering prices is the very same approach taken by General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler in the 1980s when the Big 3 faced competition from the Japanese brands.  Everyone is aware how that worked out.  Automobiles, even at the lower end of the price spectrum, still reflect an element of a Veblen Good and reducing pricing, overall, isn't always the best strategy based on price elasticity, actually inelasticity.  

Just a polite “heads up” for any Rennteam members that are long Tesla equity...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

“GM Licensing Its New Battery Tech Could Put Tesla Out of Business”

(8 March 2020)

GM has unveiled its new battery system, Ultium. By licensing it to other automakers, GM’s latest innovation could knock Tesla from contention as the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer. | Image: Steve Fecht/General Motors via AP 

GM’s new battery technology is hoping to end range anxiety.

This is arguably one of the most competitive threats to Tesla.

Elon Musk’s biggest problem would be the battery tech being adopted on a mass scale by other auto makers.

The long-range version of Tesla’s (NASDAQ:TSLA) best-selling Model 3 boasts 322 miles on a full charge. The mass-market car accelerates from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds, though a performance version can do the same distance in 3.2 seconds.

If that’s impressive, GM (NYSE:GM) wants you to know that you haven’t seen anything yet.

Earlier this month, the Detroit automaker revealed its new Ultium batteries. The new batteries will have a range of “up to 400 miles or more” and boast an acceleration speed of 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds.

GM’s Ultium batteries better and cheaper than Tesla’s

In addition to the increased range, GM is also promising to make its battery tech cheaper than Tesla’s. GM has committed to continuously embark on lowering the cost of the batteries to below $100/kWh.

Source: Twitter

Achieving the target would make GM’s battery tech over 50% cheaper than Tesla’s. According to Cairn Energy Research Advisors, Tesla’s battery cost per kilowatt-hour is currently $158.27.

That by itself is a signal to Tesla that there is serious competition on the road ahead. GM has indicated that the new battery tech will be used across multiple product categories from its cheapest vehicles to its luxury brands as well as its trucks.

What Elon Musk should be losing sleep over

GM’s biggest threat to Tesla is its plan to license the superior battery technology to other automakers.

In the press release GM noted:

By vertically integrating the manufacture of battery cells, the company can reach beyond its own fleet and license technology to others.

This means the technology lead that Tesla has enjoyed over the years is now over. It means Tesla will have more competitors than it has ever had to contend with in virtually every auto categories.

Source: Twitter

In 2019 Tesla sold 367,500 cars. Globally, the total number of new cars sold was estimated to be 77.5 million in 2019. Tesla’s sales amount to about 0.5% of global car sales. The EV maker is a tiny player, so if GM’s battery innovation reaches critical mass, Tesla will have huge competition on its hands. The EV maker already faces stiff competition even with the inferior battery models of its rivals.

Getting crushed in Europe’s star EV market

Take the case of Tesla’s most important market in Europe, Norway. Though Tesla’s numbers will only become clear at the end of the first quarter, currently in the first two months of 2020, Tesla is trailing in vehicle registrations.

In February, Norway’s best-selling EV was the Audi e-tron, which sold 1,131 units. The Audi e-tron starts at $74,800 in the U.S. and boasts a 204-mile range.

The comparable SUV from Tesla’ s stable, the Model X, has better specs but only managed 20 sales in February.

Audi outsold Tesla in Norway in February | Source: Seeking Alpha

The Long Range Plus version of the Model X comes with a 351-mile range and starts at $79,690 in the U.S. after incentives.

This demonstrates that if traditional car makers with established brands, deep pockets, market knowledge and distribution infrastructure get armed with superior battery technology, Tesla could be easily upended in the EV space.

Link: https://www.ccn.com/gm-licensing-new-battery-tech-could-put-tesla-out-of-business/

6FD198D6-DE90-4F32-B8C6-D14563F7B498.jpeg

...pre-market on 9 March 3020 TSLA around -12% looks rather significant during a potentially difficult Q1...

Smiley 

Maybe watch GM stock today. Lol. 
    btw my DRIP hit 600 today.  Gee, what was the price the other day? 200 

All are going down

Daimler -13%

BMW -10%

Volkswagen -9%

Tesla -14%

Renault -14%

Ford -9%

--

AM

ALDO:

All are going down

Daimler -13%

BMW -10%

Volkswagen -9%

Tesla -14%

Renault -14%

Ford -9%

Just the beginning... Smiley

If someone has money "free" for at least a year or two, prepare to buy into the weak market but not yet. 

This is a huge chance to make some serious money but people should be very careful. 

--

I am wondering if the real estate bubble will burst in the next 6-12 month here in Germany (Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, ...)

--

AM

ALDO:

I am wondering if the real estate bubble will burst in the next 6-12 month here in Germany (Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, ...)

Very interesting question. 

Right now, I think it will not burst, on the contrary, because more cheap money will be available and people still have their jobs. In 6-12 months...well...it could happen. I'm no expert though, so please do not take my opinion as a fact. I have not much experience with real estate and even the stock markets have surprised me a couple of times, so...

The real problem could start with companies going bankrupt and/or firing people. Then, I would expect lower real estate prices because demand will drop. On the other hand, real estate is something nobody can really take away from you, so...I don't know. This isn't a war situation. 

I still think however that your guess could be right, especially when looking at the economic/financial crisis from 2008/2009. For some, this could be a huge opportunity but for others...disaster. Just make sure you have diversified your wealth and no, I do not think that gold is the right answer to this but I may be wrong.

--

real estate went up because the banks put so much free money available. stock exchange markets were inflated. now this is going to correct a bit, real estate will probably maintain and suffer a bit but long term will remain. People can't afford ownership at the moment, it is just too high everywhere. if they dilute the money value too much then real estate will have no choice than going down because no buyers but then the scenario will not be pretty. baguette at 10 Euros angry

gold is going to boom till they fix the mess then will go down again.

get the cash ready but at different places, any bank can collapse at the moment, they are all super weak. once it will be the time, the rodeo will be fantastic again indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

get the cash ready but at different places, any bank can collapse at the moment, they are all super weak. once it will be the time, the rodeo will be fantastic again indecision

Sounds reasonable. Smiley

--

I do not see the apocalypse you guys are predicting . In a few month the crisis will be contained . By the end of the year , the real impact on economy will be less then it seems . People are not going to stop all activities . People are not going to stop consuming . Factories will reopen . So what, instead of 3%  world growth we will end up at 1% . 

Isn't China  slowly starting again ? So , 2 or 3 month less activity . Not a shut down of everything for month . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Agree

Gnil:

I do not see the apocalypse you guys are predicting . In a few month the crisis will be contained . By the end of the year , the real impact on economy will be less then it seems . People are not going to stop all activities . People are not going to stop consuming . Factories will reopen . So what, instead of 3%  world growth we will end up at 1% . 

Isn't China  slowly starting again ? So , 2 or 3 month less activity . Not a shut down of everything for month . 

Italy is shutdown. France is still questioning, Germany will not take long to follow so even if China starts and the others are stopped for a month after each other - result is same Smiley

next funny one is US.

time will tell but I don't see it pretty.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

People in Italy are still working and consuming , even if at an much lesser level . If it is like China , it will be '' slowed down '' for 3 month . That is 1/4 of the year at a lesser consuming level . Not a total shutdown . 

--

But just take Stuttgart as a spot. Here are maybe 80% working directly or indirectly in the automotive industry. Stuttgart will get in deep trouble when Daimler AG gets in trouble.

A friend of mine has 58 people working for Stuttgart Messe (fair). He is prepared to reduce his company to half. All his planned faires where canceled. He could not survive easily. That means probably 58 families get in trouble. 

If Daimler starts to cancel orders to suppliers - then a good night in and around Stuttgart.

--

AM

Agree it will impact small business in the service industry a lot . It has over here already . But that will not last too long . People will not quarantine for month . Now strict mesures are taken . They have to .  If it  works then all will slowly get better again by end of spring . If it doesn't , then it is the '' all contaminated scenario '' which will be hard on the weak  but pass fast . And then life has to go on again . Humans adapt quickly . 

--

Gnil:

Agree it will impact small business in the service industry a lot . It has over here already . But that will not last too long . People will not quarantine for month . Now strict mesures are taken . They have to .  If it  works then all will slowly get better again by end of spring . If it doesn't , then it is the '' all contaminated scenario '' which will be hard on the weak  but pass fast . And then life has to go on again . Humans adapt quickly . 

Looks like Switzerland has decided to take the second option . 

Quanrantines are shortened to 10 days  and only the very close persons in contact with the sick people will be quaranteed  to 5 days . 

Doing more then this requires disproportionate efforts and mesures , according to our authorities . 

If we would continue the '' old '' way, a far too big part of the population would be soon to have to be put on quarantine . They do not want to paradise the system .  Also , patient must not got to hospitals but stay at home , only the very weak ones . 

Infected persons with mild symptoms must not ask to be checked . Only stay at home and go back to work one day after the last symptoms have gone . 

--

Gnil:

The fact we are still here means humans have an undefeated record of beating these problems. Doubt this THE one that gets us.  12 months from now no one will remember this and there will be some new disaster.  

Just installed a new software update. Track pack v2. Includes g- force meters, more video capability, setting for balance (front to rear power bias up to 100% in each direction). Fully adjustable traction control, tire temp, brake temp, motor temp and battery temp. Extra cooling and fully adjustable regen. All free. plus other updates to Bluetooth, maps,  voice control etc. Nice. You may not like needing to use the screen for the glovebox but you can use a voice command as well  even to turn on and off the seat heaters.  Best voice command in a car I 

optional new set of wheels for track use with pilot sports, new brake pads, racing brake fluid for $5k if you want it. The wheels are half an inch wider.  
    they caution the damage while in track mode may not be covered by warranty and I bet they have logs to prove it. Good news is if you don’t use it they won’t accuse you of something you did not do. Lol. 
    doubt I will use it - ever. But it is a host of exciting new features just for free. Can’t beat that. 

I heard Elon is making his programmers write a program to change the rubber composition on the fly, so sticky when on track and low rolling resistance when on road, and the Autopilot will use GPS locations to determine when to switch. 

Also, he has been teaching the Autopilot to master track driving, soon on track days you don't have to physically drive anymore, the car will track itself, you could sit back and have a beer while watching the car do the tracking. 

Another rumour is that he is close to having a break through on metallurgy, the metal wheel itself will respond to remote OTA command to expand or contract, from 17" all the way to 22" depending on which software package the customer bought.

--

RC:
    ALDO:

Very interesting question. 

Right now, I think it will not burst, on the contrary, because more cheap money will be available and people still have their jobs. In 6-12 months...well...it could happen. I'm no expert though, so please do not take my opinion as a fact. I have not much experience with real estate and even the stock markets have surprised me a couple of times, so...

I agree 100%. The money does not go away. It needs investment opportunities. If the stock market gets less interesting because of higher volatility and higher risk aversion "safe" harbors are needed. The renewed pressure on interest rates will support this demand further.

Private demand for private homes in less attractive locations, however, could get slower as people will get more cautious (job losses etc.).

But then, if the prices would go down the implied return of buying and renting out would rise - to levels probably too high for the current interest rate environment. This assumes that you could use the piece of real estate to rent it out to people, of course. 

Gnil:

You are 100% right. Many people are in fear and this leads to overreaction. This behavioral pattern has always been at the core of economic theories on the crisis Smiley It seems easy to confirm the theory these days...

ALDO:

But just take Stuttgart as a spot. Here are maybe 80% working directly or indirectly in the automotive industry. Stuttgart will get in deep trouble when Daimler AG gets in trouble.

A friend of mine has 58 people working for Stuttgart Messe (fair). He is prepared to reduce his company to half. All his planned faires where canceled. He could not survive easily. That means probably 58 families get in trouble. 

If Daimler starts to cancel orders to suppliers - then a good night in and around Stuttgart.

They had the same problems (if not worse) in 2008/2009 though. These things happen from time to time, unfortunately.

Whoopsy:

I heard Elon is making his programmers write a program to change the rubber composition on the fly, so sticky when on track and low rolling resistance when on road, and the Autopilot will use GPS locations to determine when to switch. 

Also, he has been teaching the Autopilot to master track driving, soon on track days you don't have to physically drive anymore, the car will track itself, you could sit back and have a beer while watching the car do the tracking. 

Another rumour is that he is close to having a break through on metallurgy, the metal wheel itself will respond to remote OTA command to expand or contract, from 17" all the way to 22" depending on which software package the customer bought.

You can be more creative than this. Even the real inventions and innovations are quite a bit more amazing. Think colonize Mars and travel the galaxy.  
    You will note I added some criticism by way of warranty warning. It is a nice little free present to wake up to without having to buy the next model.  We can mock but deep down we know this is better than other makes can offer. I know - massive thrust forward has never been a big seller for cars either. Lol.  But they have gone the extra mile to make up for your complaint that they can not corner. And made it fit even three year old cars. The Battery day investors meeting is coming up in a few days. Watch the stock. 

Gnil:

Apocalypse? Nope. Just a serious economic crisis. Switzerland is not a member of the EU but you guys are still economically connected to us, if you want to or not. 

Take Italy as an example: The country is basically shut down. The whole economic and financial situation in Italy wasn't all peachy even before the corona virus hit. Now things are getting worse. Italy is the third largest economy in the EU, do your math. 

Never ever compare a democratic country and especially the EU, with China. The Chinese can basically do with their financial system what they want and they can do it very fast. Completely different situation. This is actually China's strength after that vicious outbreak end of last year and early this year. 

Italy alone could drag the rest of the EU into a serious crisis and if you think in a few months, everything will be over...well...I would like to cite a Christian Drosten, a virologist someone here loves to use as a source: In autumn, things are going to get worse, much worse. He is referring to the infection rates and hospital occupancies.

I do not like to paint dire pictures and people should stay optimistic but right now is not the time to ignore possible outcomes and hope for the best. We need to be prepared for bad things and if they don't happen...well...hooray...the better.  No, no bunker needed. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752775 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258452 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255387 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868034 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801631 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM