Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

I actually like your choice best Smiley but for me, this wouldn't have been a good idea. I have to avoid flashy colors due to that incident with my McLaren neighbor. Can't make the same mistake. Smiley

My other neighbor got himself a SLS but he decided not to bring the car home anymore after his direct neighbor complained to his wife about the noise the car makes. His 997 Targa with sport exhaust doesn't seem to bother anyone and this car is loud as hell. Maybe because it is "just" an old Porsche? Smiley

Welcome to my world...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Christian,

This is ridiculous regarding a neighbour complaining about the noise that comes from the SLS. Cant you sport car lovers just ignore them, thats what would happen around my area. Yes, its different if you revving it up early in the morning when folk are in bed. Jeeps, these people really do need to get a grip. I have nothing but positive comments about my GT3, even its roar when they hear me coming and going. Also have 3 guys that want a drive with me this summer, so no  complaints here kiss...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Christian,

This is ridiculous regarding a neighbour complaining about the noise that comes from the SLS. Cant you sport car lovers just ignore them, thats what would happen around my area. Yes, its different if you revving it up early in the morning when folk are in bed. Jeeps, these people really do need to get a grip. I have nothing but positive comments about my GT3, even its roar when they hear me coming and going. Also have 3 guys that want a drive with me this summer, so no  complaints here kiss...

Of course this is ridiculous but we are a mixed neighborhood, middle class with upper middle class and even more and this can't go well... 

That neighbor told the complaint to the wife of my neighbor, very clever. Actually, she said only that the car woke up her kids in the morning and as a mother to another, you get the point. Smiley

The neighbors are not complaining directly and loudly, with the exception of the McLaren at night but taking a hint is part of our culture here, so we cannot ignore it.

Maybe it has something to do with other stuff, I don't know because I never had a complain regarding my cars and my GTS isn't exactly quiet and I won't even start with my Jeep SRT which let's the walls of my house treble when I start the engine. Smiley My direct neighbor from across the street actually rented me the garage for my GT500 and now R8, so no issues with the neighbors...yet. It worries me however what happens with the others because I don't get it. Even that McLaren isn't really loud and that one noise when the car starts cannot be really that annoying.

This probably happens when on one side of the road, you have a VW Golf or a Mini Cooper and on the other side a super sportscar. Smiley

My wife urged me to always put the exhaust (R8) in quiet mode and I do but I'm not so sure it is the exhaust sound which is the problem here.

Maybe it is just the gossip here...some neighbors always come over to me when I'm in front of the house and start a conversation like this "have you heard about..." Smiley  The problem is: I couldn't care less about others in my neighborhood, I just want to be let alone. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Everyone should mind their own business and stop bragging about noise, type of cars etc. etc. But wait, wait, wait, we are talking about strict German society here 

German society is strict (damn they are known in whole world for that), they dont like people who are getting out of regular order, out of some social standards, out of system that is almost perfect. If you are in part of city where there are bunch of houses/apartments you must take EXTRA care about your neighbors because you are not special one by no means - you are regular guy who needs to keep neighborhood nice place to live, sleep, walk...

On other hand, if you want freedom I assume you can buy some big ass property, out of urban part of city and do whatever you like - rev cars, drift them on your property, scream like crazy and all other silly stuff that makes life so exciting smiley

So yeah, RC I understand your points, but on other side I imagine German society just like you are describing it. Strict with no exceptions. Thats why I think Turkish/Arab people have huge problems to integrate in society, because Germans are strict & hard working nation.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

RC:
    throt:

Christian,

Of course this is ridiculous but we are a mixed neighborhood, middle class with upper middle class and even more and this can't go well... 

That neighbor told the complaint to the wife of my neighbor, very clever. Actually, she said only that the car woke up her kids in the morning and as a mother to another, you get the point. Smiley

The neighbors are not complaining directly and loudly, with the exception of the McLaren at night but taking a hint is part of our culture here, so we cannot ignore it.

Maybe it has something to do with other stuff, I don't know because I never had a complain regarding my cars and my GTS isn't exactly quiet and I won't even start with my Jeep SRT which let's the walls of my house treble when I start the engine. Smiley My direct neighbor from across the street actually rented me the garage for my GT500 and now R8, so no issues with the neighbors...yet. It worries me however what happens with the others because I don't get it. Even that McLaren isn't really loud and that one noise when the car starts cannot be really that annoying.

This probably happens when on one side of the road, you have a VW Golf or a Mini Cooper and on the other side a super sportscar. Smiley

My wife urged me to always put the exhaust (R8) in quiet mode and I do but I'm not so sure it is the exhaust sound which is the problem here.

Maybe it is just the gossip here...some neighbors always come over to me when I'm in front of the house and start a conversation like this "have you heard about..." Smiley  The problem is: I couldn't care less about others in my neighborhood, I just want to be let alone. Smiley

i still don't understand why you don't just ignore those neighbor buggers.

pmarkow:

I ignore them as much as I can but if they come over, you cannot send them away or tell them to their faces "p.ss off". Smiley

I don't know where and how you live but my neighborhood is mainly houses (no condo buildings) and like I said middle class, upper middle class and maybe two or three a bit above that upper middle class. A (socially) mixed neighborhood with your usual Audi A4/A6, BMW 1/3 series, Mercedes C class, Toyotas, Mini Cooper, etc. and everything out of the ordinary kind of attracts attention.

--

Milanno:

Everyone should mind their own business and stop bragging about noise, type of cars etc. etc. But wait, wait, wait, we are talking about strict German society here 

German society is strict (damn they are known in whole world for that), they dont like people who are getting out of regular order, out of some social standards, out of system that is almost perfect. If you are in part of city where there are bunch of houses/apartments you must take EXTRA care about your neighbors because you are not special one by no means - you are regular guy who needs to keep neighborhood nice place to live, sleep, walk...

On other hand, if you want freedom I assume you can buy some big ass property, out of urban part of city and do whatever you like - rev cars, drift them on your property, scream like crazy and all other silly stuff that makes life so exciting smiley

So yeah, RC I understand your points, but on other side I imagine German society just like you are describing it. Strict with no exceptions. Thats why I think Turkish/Arab people have huge problems to integrate in society, because Germans are strict & hard working nation.

Strict with no exceptions? Only if you are wealthy. Germans love to make exceptions for the "less fortunate". Smiley The general population however has the impression that it is the other way around, the wealthy get what they want and the "poor" get nothing. Sound familiar? I guess Germany isn't that much different than many other EU countries. Smiley

--

RC:
    pmarkow:

I ignore them as much as I can but if they come over, you cannot send them away or tell them to their faces "p.ss off". Smiley

I don't know where and how you live but my neighborhood is mainly houses (no condo buildings) and like I said middle class, upper middle class and maybe two or three a bit above that upper middle class. A (socially) mixed neighborhood with your usual Audi A4/A6, BMW 1/3 series, Mercedes C class, Toyotas, Mini Cooper, etc. and everything out of the ordinary kind of attracts attention.

i have no experience with that kind of neighborhood. in vienna we live in a rather upper class patrician building where cars do not attract any attention. in our other properties we do not spend enough time to get into those kind of issues.  except maybe in italy where the parmesan cheese got more expensive for us since they saw my previous ferrari:::))) interestingly they could not care less about the gt3rs here. but still, i would just send the complainers away with some friendly words. after all, what can they do other than talk behind your back? sue you for driving flashy cars?:::)))

The neighbors didn't sue that guy for his McLaren, they sent a formal complaint to the mayor's office after the police told them that the car is street legal (and yes, the police was there and checked the car and this is actually what upset me most...sending the police after your own neighbor for what? enlightened). The mayor's response was quite clear, if the car is technically OK, there is nothing he can do and the neighbors need to find a way to live together. Not very helpful for either side though. broken heart

I am glad I didn't get in the middle of this and I don't plan to. Here in the forum, I may sometimes be a bit aggressive or arrogant but in real life, I am an actually nice guy (so I've been told... ) and try to avoid conflicts of any kind the best way I can. Probably the reason I never had real issues with the neighbors but the talking and all that stuff really upsets me.

That "mixed" neighborhood is probably the real issue here but everyone tries to hides his wealth. Before Google, I didn't even know that two of my neighbors had swimming pools... Smiley Smiley

--

Sad mentality! In our previous apartment I used to park my 997 (sure it is not a super car or anything that fancy for your guys ;) next to my neighbour's 20 year old all scratched Nissan Micra. Not  once did I receive a negative comment or look and my exhaust was screaming like hell. 

The only place where I am careful is when arriving or leaving work I always turn off the 991 GTS AWE  Xpipe valves.

@ RC, no matter what you do or drive people will talk so you rather enjoy your passion as much as you can and forget about them. At the end of the day you are spending your hard earned money,

DocMo:

Sad mentality! In our previous apartment I used to park my 997 (sure it is not a super car or anything that fancy for your guys ;) next to my neighbour's 20 year old all scratched Nissan Micra. Not  once did I receive a negative comment or look and my exhaust was screaming like hell. 

The only place where I am careful is when arriving or leaving work I always turn off the 991 GTS AWE  Xpipe valves.

@ RC, no matter what you do or drive people will talk so you rather enjoy your passion as much as you can and forget about them. At the end of the day you are spending your hard earned money,

True but I cannot choose your neighbors and I don't want to p.ss them off. Smiley

I guess I should consider myself lucky that they never had me in their focus. Smiley

--

RC maybe this is too rude to mention, but have you considered moving on some other part of city, or even to take house in suburban area? If you are that uncomfortable living with your angry neighbors, moving could be very refreshing!

--

RC:
    DocMo:

True but I cannot choose your neighbors and I don't want to p.ss them off. Smiley

I guess I should consider myself lucky that they never had me in their focus. Smiley

and if you p.ss them off what happens? i bet nothing. the first time it is hard, the second time you won't care anymore...

Milanno:

RC maybe this is too rude to mention, but have you considered moving on some other part of city, or even to take house in suburban area? If you are that uncomfortable living with your angry neighbors, moving could be very refreshing!

If you pay, I move. Smiley

Our house is huge, same goes to the garden but the house is over 40 years old. We invested a lot into the interior over the last couple of years, new kitchen, new bath rooms, new bedroom, new rooms for the kids, garage, etc. etc. etc., so moving would be insane. A similar house with similar garden and the whole stuff we renewed in a "better" part of the city would cost us at least a couple of million of Euros. Not worth it. What for? I ignore the neighbors as much as I can and the neighborhood is not a really bad one but your typical German upper middle class houses neighborhood with strong catholic and traditional ties. I live there for over 30 years now and it is very safe and quiet. 

--

pmarkow:
    RC:
    DocMo:

and if you p.ss them off what happens? i bet nothing. the first time it is hard, the second time you won't care anymore...

Psychology is not your main field, isn't it?

I could give you tons of examples how neighbors could make your life miserable but I don't want to go into details.

In Germany, when you have a certain level of wealth, you better be careful who you piss off. If you are really rich, you can avoid these people but otherwise, you better be careful. Especially when you live outside a big city in a traditional region where everyone knows everyone. Smiley

Do you know that most firemen in my town are basically my neighbors? Small towns do not have a big fire department but a small one with volunteers. Also, two police officers live in my neighborhood.

It is easy to say you don't care when you don't understand how these neighborhoods work. Smiley

--

RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:
    DocMo:

Psychology is not your main field, isn't it?

i am more into....abstract stuff:::))))

I could give you tons of examples how neighbors could make your life miserable but I don't want to go into details.

In Germany, when you have a certain level of wealth, you better be careful who you piss off. If you are really rich, you can avoid these people but otherwise, you better be careful. Especially when you live outside a big city in a traditional region where everyone knows everyone. Smiley

Do you know that most firemen in my town are basically my neighbors? Small towns do not have a big fire department but a small one with volunteers. Also, two police officers live in my neighborhood.

It is easy to say you don't care when you don't understand how these neighborhoods work. Smiley

i don't think they would let your house burn down because you drive a flashy car. but anyway, useless discussion, you have to feel well about your surroundings. i just couldn't accept those constraints.

RC:

In Germany, when you have a certain level of wealth, you better be careful who you piss off. If you are really rich, you can avoid these people but otherwise, you better be careful.

Please elaborate this Smiley

--

pmarkow:

i don't think they would let your house burn down because you drive a flashy car. but anyway, useless discussion, you have to feel well about your surroundings. i just couldn't accept those constraints.

I agree, sometimes I hate it to just "be careful" what the neighbors could think but I got used to it and the limitations aren't as big as it may sound. I just have to be aware that my neighbors always keep an eye on me and judge me. Smiley This can have advantages as well: When my father was still living in the apartment next to my house (actually connected to my house but completely separate), the neighbors across the street called me at work to tell me that my father was outside his door only in underpants. I know this sounds funny but he already had Alzheimer's at that time (he is 92) but he never did crazy stuff before, he just forgot things. I was so happy that the neighbors called me, they even went up to him to convince him to go back inside his apartment. 

Same goes to criminals: Once, the neighbors noticed a guy walking up and down the street, looking at my house very carefully and taking photos. They called the police, the police stopped that guy but apparently he was a real estate agent looking for a big house for a client. He showed the photos and they really only showed the house from far away, not details, not doors or garden photos, so everything was OK. I kind of have my personal watchdogs. Smiley

Such a neighborhood can be annoying but it has a few perks as well. Smiley

--

Thats a shame about neighboors like that, but I understand why you would not want to piss them off, its not only about you, you are worried about your family, especially the kids, and the repercusions to them if you do, may even afffect them at school with the other kids that may be sons of your neighboors?

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:

Well RC, some of us would like to have so caring neighbors. It is very helpful knowing that you can leave for long vacation and people around you will notice police if something is suspicious Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

Thats a shame about neighboors like that, but I understand why you would not want to piss them off, its not only about you, you are worried about your family, especially the kids, and the repercusions to them if you do, may even afffect them at school with the other kids that may be sons of your neighboors?

Smiley Yes, the kids were a major concern but this doesn't really matter anymore since the school is not in the vicinity and the kids have grown up and changed their friends. My daughter is basically only occupied with studying (which is a good thing Smiley) and my son plays his favorite video games with a former buddy who moved to Venezuela (his father works there as a diplomat). (Higher) School is vey demanding nowadays in Germany, not much time for friends I'm afraid. 

--

Milanno:
    RC:

Well RC, some of us would like to have so caring neighbors. It is very helpful knowing that you can leave for long vacation and people around you will notice police if something is suspicious Smiley

Well...this is what my mother says when I always complain about the neighbors. Smiley

I have a very sophisticated alarm system with direct connection to the police and tons of cameras all over which I can even access from outside Germany, so no worries about the house. Also the house is never empty, even when we are on vacation and we have a security company checking for it a couple of times as well, so I don't really need the neighbors to do that. Smiley It is a very safe environment though, this is true. Why all that high tech security? Well...I just love this stuff (gadgets and all...) and some of it (cameras and some outdoor sensors), I installed myself. 

--

RC:
    Milanno:
    RC:

Well...this is what my mother says when I always complain about the neighbors. Smiley

I have a very sophisticated alarm system with direct connection to the police and tons of cameras all over which I can even access from outside Germany, so no worries about the house. Also the house is never empty, even when we are on vacation and we have a security company checking for it a couple of times as well, so I don't really need the neighbors to do that. Smiley It is a very safe environment though, this is true. Why all that high tech security? Well...I just love this stuff (gadgets and all...) and some of it (cameras and some outdoor sensors), I installed myself. 

All those precautions and gadgets to keep thieves away, none of them as good a deterrent as a slightly underfed big dog whose teeth are wire brushed regularly Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

dreamcar:
    RC:
    Milanno:
    RC:

All those precautions and gadgets to keep thieves away, none of them as good a deterrent as a slightly underfed big dog whose teeth are wire brushed regularly Smiley

true, until the dog turns against you

pmarkow:
    dreamcar:
    RC:
    Milanno:
    RC:

true, until the dog turns against you

Game of Thrones

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

dreamcar:
    RC:
    Milanno:
    RC:

It is pretty easy to get rid of a dog...trust me, I'm a pharmacist. Smiley Smiley

The gadgets are my toys, my wife always complains but I know that she is actually happy that she can go out in the garden and call for help if there is an intruder (I won't go into details but the stuff I installed or had installed is pretty nice). Of course there is no 100% safety but the alarm also goes off when there is a water breach or a fire, so this is not about criminals only. The police is only five minutes away from my place, another advantage but unfortunately if the police comes and it was a false alarm, it costs me 180(!) EUR each time. It happened twice over the past five years or so (my son pushed a panic alarm button once and the other time, it was an electrical malfunction because of a weak backup battery) and when you lie in the garden, listening to music...wife...dreaming of sandy beaches and suddenly two police officers with a drawn gun appear in front of you...not pretty. Smiley We also have a security service who checks on the house from time to time but the alarm always goes to the police.

Maintenance is pretty easy, there isn't much to do because it is mostly a wired system. Also, even if someone wants to break in, we have P6B glass allover, so you need dozens(!) of axe(!) blows to actually make a hole into these windows and at the first blow, the glas breakage sensor will react, so... Smiley

This kind of safety isn't really needed in our neighborhood (or in most parts of Germany for that matter) but like I said, I love gadgets and we had to renovate parts of the house anyway when we moved in and my parents moved out, so... yes My mother said I have paranoia Smiley because of these changes but she lives in the house next to mine and has a similar security (I didn't stop at the main house Smiley) and I don't have the feeling that she doesn't appreciate it. Every time she is alone in the house and/or goes to bed, she activates the alarm. Yeah, paranoia my ass. Smiley

Lately, burglaries have increased a lot in Bavaria but our neighborhood was never an issue. Also, there are clear warning "signs" on the house (alarm flash lights and sirens...the one you can actually see Smiley) and burglars usually go for soft targets. Another thing is that we don't have anything worth steeling and professional burglars usually don't try to break in into such a protected house, unless it is worth it. We are more afraid of non-professional burglars who just want to see if there is something valuable. These are the most dangerous ones because when they panic... Smiley

--

Back to topic, the R8

Today I heard that there is a new Pirelli PZero out for the Audi R8, a new generation (R02 instead of the current R01).

Apparently Pirelli improved this tire substantially, it is the same new development as the new Pirelli PZero N1 for the new 991.2 Turbo S. This tire has almost semi-slick capabilities in the dry and impressed a lot of people. No compromise in the wet capabilities department though, not as bad as a real semi-slick.

Now I am trying to get this tire for my R8 but apparently it isn't available yet...so I ordered it.

Good news indeed.

--

Getting the new Pirelli PZero R02 within the next two weeks, wasn't easy since this is a brand-new tire.

Yes, I got confirmation that this is the same "new" PZero Porsche uses for the facelifted 991.2 Turbo S. This tire got rave reviews from many different reviewers because it offers an amazing improved dry performance. 

Also interesting: The virtual cockpit MMI can display fixed and mobile speed traps in Europe...with a little mod. indecision angry

--

Sorry RC if I am not following whole story. Why are you replacing tires on your brand new car?

--

Milanno:

Sorry RC if I am not following whole story. Why are you replacing tires on your brand new car?

I would have replaced them anyway...the car is not brand new but has 1800 km on it. I do not know who drove with these tires and I am not doing Vmax as long as I do not have new tires on the car. This is a precaution, call it paranoia. 

The car will also get a thorough technical check-up (I will be there as well...) before I finally register it to my name (right now I am driving with Munich plates).

The new PZero R02 has a strongly improved compound mixture and partially new tread pattern, this is the same tire (with a few mods) used for the facelifted Turbo S. Pirelli developed an updated PZero to improve dry performance, which is now vey close to semi-slicks (no kidding!) without the compromise on wet pavement.

The R02 is the Audi version of this tire and with some luck, I will have this tire in two weeks or so.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763362 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435863 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260774 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257751 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81232 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808232 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM