Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

noone1:
    Lukas:

Great new review of R8 v10 just posted by Motor Trend. RC you will love this one! kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTbVygKrP4

Really bad lap time. though I have no idea what the standard tires on. Definitely needs more aggressive tires on a track if you want to compete with everyone else. The Huracan for example was on Trofeo Rs.

I watched the video now...Pirelli PZero road tires (and hot temperatures)...not a good choice. The Huracan was on semi-slicks. I liked the review though because that guy driving the car most of the time spoke out of my heart. It would have helped however with the credibility of that video (and the that track driver) if they would have mentioned the tire thing in the beginning...road tires on the R8 and semi-slicks on the Huracan. The understeer was caused by the PZero loosing grip fast. This is not a track tire. On normal roads, you won't notice understeer because the PZero isn't "challenged". 

Actually, the track driver seems to like the car at first but then he notices how the tires start loosing grip.

Yes, they mentioned the road tire at the end but a bit too late, when the viewer already formed his (maybe negative) opinion about the R8. I also don't understand the comment regarding the optional semi-slicks: The Audi R8 is not your typical track car, so why should Audi deliver all the cars with semi-slicks, especially for road driving? Doesn't make sense. Even the 911 Turbo S comes with road tires but track tires are optional, same as for the R8.

Other than that, good review. Smiley 

Btw: I read some of the comments, funny...many people don't even seem to know the difference between a road tire and a semi-slick. Oh boy...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

BTW, the company making the virtual cockpit UI for Audi:

http://www.rightware.com/

Kimi:

can you personalize mine please Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

DaveGordon:

4000rpm redline 

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Not sure about this test... The rather good lap time of the GTR Nismo raises my suspicion... I don't know another test where the Nissan GTR has achieved any reasonable result... It sucks all the time Smiley

Kimi:

Very interesting, thanks for the link. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Gnil:
    Kimi:

Not affiliated with them :)

MKSGR:

Not sure about this test... The rather good lap time of the GTR Nismo make raises my suspicion... I don't know another test where the Nissan GTR has achieved any reasonable result...

I am pretty sure that the Nissan GTR Nismo used semi-slicks or maybe even slicks, I don't have a clue.

The GTR Nismo is not even as fast as a Huracan, so you make a valid point. 

The GTR Nismo uses the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT, which sounds like a Dunlop but actually isn't. This is a very specific tire produced specifically for this car by Sumitomo Rubber Industries (Sumitomo owns Dunlop in a joint venture with Goodyear, which Goodyear kind of said good-bye to again, I think). Why I know that? Because twice (as far as I know of...probably more cases), the tread of the tire basically went of fthe tire at very high speeds. Some suspect a false (too low) recommended tire pressure for the high weight of the GTR, others a rubber material issue. Nobody knows exactly.

Btw: In a AMS review, the Nissan GTS Nismo (600 hp) did 0-100 kph in 3.4 seconds and 0-200 kph in 11.5 seconds. For comparison: In the latest Sport Auto (they use the same test methods and equipment as "mother" AMS), the Audi R8 V10 Plus did 0-100 kph in I think 3.0 seconds and 0-200 kph in 9.7 seconds if I'm not mistaken. 

Also, after four consecutive launch control starts, the Nissan gearbox entered emergency mode. Smiley

Sorry but you get what you pay for...

--

Gnil:
    Kimi:

This would be a nice product idea but unfortunately everything needs to be safety certified and whatnot for liability reasons, so... Smiley One reason self-downloadable style faces will probably never happen but I am still hoping for some sort of additional style faces from Audi, so you can switch to different (certified and pre-defined) styles. If Audi hasn't thought of that, it is about time. 

--

Apple missed HUGE opportunity to offer automotive manufacturers services in terms of software engineering and design of virtual cockpits, entertainment systems and overall UI/UX design along with integration with Apple products. That could be great chance to offer new type of iOS apps for cars, so you could have stuff that RC mentioned - full compatibility and various ways of customization.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Well, that may well be what Project Titan is all about, rather than an "Apple Car".

Here is additional render that was part of discussion in Chiron topic. Since I want to avoid off-topic, I am posting related render here in proper thread smiley

--

I don't think the track test matters much. Its a great street car, sounds glorious, is not boring to see, drive or hear and for 99 percent of the time that is all that matters. The new R8 looks sleeker than the last one and it is a legit 200mph supercar at a cost of ownership less than its Huracan cousin which will draw a crowd just buying gas.

I had a chance to drive the new R8 V10plus for an hour in the mountain twisties.....  lets never mind the driving feel.  MY whole body was shaken by the glorious epic sound the whole time I was driving, and that really never minded me how it turns or how it drives.... this is one EPIC car up there with F12 in terms of its sound.  for some reason I like R8's sound much more than F12 as its more settle and not overly pronounced in higher pitch....  

as for the driving, its a much much better improvement than old generation with old bad garbage Rtronic....  the transmission is much updated and just as  fast as any supercars now these days.  The steering felt slightly heavy with its 4wheel drive, but very tactical, and stable. understeers abit when the entree speed is a bit too fast, but it corrects itself quickly.  very interesting driving behaviour, and in a sense its an easier car to drive fast.    and certainly much much better rigid body than old R8.    Each super car now these days or each brand try to give its own driving character than other brands, so I think Audi is on the right track developing its own driving feel.  

I must say in the good of two worlds of Turbo and NA; try to own both car at the same time:

super series: 991TTS and  R8V10plus

Ultimate series: 675LT and F12TDF

huangester:

Saw a beautiful silver 675 LT yesterday (in heavy inner-city traffic :-)). Wonderful to look at, but quite noisy even in this situation. The key question to me really is if one prefers a flashy or modest looking car. For example, in a turbo s you are well dressed, have nearly the same performance - always making a "understated" impact on your social environment still. Would I give this up for the slightly better performance of a 675 LT (like 1s up to 200kph, 4s up to 300kph, slightly better lap time like maybe 1s on HHR (max))? Personally, I answered this question yesterday with a no. The 675 LT is a spectacle like an Aventador is one. One has to like this kind of presence... I prefer looking at it. Same with the Ferrari's... Nice - but no longer needed after trying several of them Smiley 

All these exotic cars are lovely to own - in theory. In real life I prefer to just look at them Smiley

You don't really need them, these car are investments like stocks...

wantone:

Not so sure - when I saw the LT yesterday I immediately felt that this car will be far less desirable in 5 years. The car is fascinating now as it is one of the best engineering products of our time. But today there are so many great cars. What will be still relevant in 20 years is unknown... The market for high performance cars has been flooded by many OEMs over the last years. It would be a major mistake to assume that these cars will all be sought after in several years. The past was different. Much smaller number of high-performance cars produced...

MKSGR:
    wantone:

Not so sure - when I saw the LT yesterday I immediately felt that this car will be far less desirable in 5 years. The car is fascinating now as it is one of the best engineering products of our time. But today there are so many great cars. What will be still relevant in 20 years is unknown... The market for high performance cars has been flooded by many OEMs over the last years. It would be a major mistake to assume that these cars will all be sought after in several years. The past was different. Much smaller number of high-performance cars produced...

BTW, you have a similar effect with watches: in former times Patek had a very strong auction market. Then Patek started to produce more and more and more. Today, value retention of the watches that sold after the 90s is very moderate - compared to those really rare models of the time before the 90s.

To me this is the same problem as with the market for high-performance cars. In addition, cars are far less attractive to collect than watches as they decay quickly if not handled/driven appropriately, high maintenance cost etc.

huangester:

I had a chance to drive the new R8 V10plus for an hour in the mountain twisties.....  lets never mind the driving feel.  MY whole body was shaken by the glorious epic sound the whole time I was driving, and that really never minded me how it turns or how it drives.... this is one EPIC car up there with F12 in terms of its sound.  for some reason I like R8's sound much more than F12 as its more settle and not overly pronounced in higher pitch....  

as for the driving, its a much much better improvement than old generation with old bad garbage Rtronic....  the transmission is much updated and just as  fast as any supercars now these days.  The steering felt slightly heavy with its 4wheel drive, but very tactical, and stable. understeers abit when the entree speed is a bit too fast, but it corrects itself quickly.  very interesting driving behaviour, and in a sense its an easier car to drive fast.    and certainly much much better rigid body than old R8.    Each super car now these days or each brand try to give its own driving character than other brands, so I think Audi is on the right track developing its own driving feel.  

I must say in the good of two worlds of Turbo and NA; try to own both car at the same time:

This is very kind of you to say but I agree completely. Smiley Glad you had fun driving the R8 but I have to admit that if I had the chance to get an "ultimate series" supercar, I would get the 675LT and not the F12 tdf. The reason is simple (and I really love the F12): The F12 tdf is a fun car, like my former GT500 but not really suitable for road driving OR track driving. Have you seen Chris Harris' Top Gear UK video? Only 1/3 throttle and he was already going sideways. Fun car to have for a closed track but for road driving or casual track racing, the tdf wouldn't be my primary choice. The 675LT does a much better job and performance is amazing as well.

--

Conny997:
    Lukas:

Great new review of R8 v10 just posted by Motor Trend. RC you will love this onekiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTbVygKrP4

Me too!! SmileySmiley
    In this vid the virtual cockpit seems to have the new 2017 layout so far as I can see. Nice.Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-20 um 19.20.13.png

Talked to my dealer yesterday about the new design.

My dealer applied the latest MMI software update and I have now the new graphics and functions as well. Smiley

Also got the latest chassis/engine/gearbox software... Smiley

Also interesting: German/European MY 2017 cars (all US cars are already MY 2017) start production in June and if I would order a car now, delivery would be in November. Demand certainly picked up for the R8. 

--

bluelines:
    DaveGordon:

4000rpm redline 

Smiley

Smiley Smiley..

Gnil does not need to lift through the curves.Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

--

Milanno:

highly unfair competition for the audi in terms of esthetics:::))))

Believe it or not but I like the Audi better... angry

The 458 is a different story of course...

--

pmarkow:

highly unfair competition for the audi in terms of esthetics:::))))

I agree, yellow one would be much better for that comparison Smiley

--

Super sports cars always look best in flashy colors...dammit. yes

--

I agree RC, but there is something special about black color on new R8. Cars looks so mean and aggressive!

Additional photo showing R8 and AMG GT Smiley MB looks really narrow when compared to R8 Smiley

Milanno:

I agree RC, but there is something special about black color on new R8. Cars looks so mean and aggressive!

I'm not really convinced on black. The design get better support by lighter colors or red.

See Forbes review
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmccormick/2016/06/06/is-2017-audi-r8-the-worlds-first-thinking-mans-supercar/#7a5bdd138885

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

RC:

Believe it or not but I like the Audi better... angry

The 458 is a different story of course...

hmmm...the front end of the 488 beats the 458 front mustache design. i do find the 488 very well designed but the car leaves me cold after all. don't know why though.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760023 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434016 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256984 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870906 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806008 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM