Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

My R8 has a leaking oil cooler, which needs to be replaced under warranty. Not very urgent (leak very small) but it will be done within the next two weeks.

Getting the new RS5 to drive while the R8 is in the workshop (they need the car 2-3 days, so it is going to stay there for a full week), so curious how good (or bad) the new RS5 is.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Well, it's an RS5, so it will be a boring coupe just like a million other boring heavy coupes in the world.

noone1:

Well, it's an RS5, so it will be a boring coupe just like a million other boring heavy coupes in the world.

I like a lot how it looks but I've driven it before (for half an hour) and I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe if I drive it longer... Smiley It has the wrong engine and the wrong chassis setup. Just imagine this thing with a 705 hp ABT V8 Biturbo (similar to current RS6 special edition model) and a proper chassis setup...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

So funny...watched a few YouTube videos and found myself in a video (when I still had the Munich license plates and did an event in spring/summer 2016). 

51DB32DD-B5A8-4908-A419-F4603FB43466.jpeg

--

The RS is in front indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

The RS is in front indecision

I was actually in the process of passing him... indecision (the video continues for a few seconds) but it was a long straight, so no big deal.

Another surprise: Got my car back from the first inspection (small one, incl. oil change). 1000 EUR, I paid 800 for the Mini JCW.  Asked my mechanic about cost for Huracan first inspection, basically more than double. no My workshop is the same as the Lamborghini workshop, they are together.

Unfortunately my car needs a new oil cooler, the current one is leaking a little bit (probably the reason the car eats one liter of oil every 4000 km) and mechanic doesn't want to take any chances. So glad I got a five year warranty.

--

Nice and inexpensive feature I got installed...even visible during daylight.

A315AF75-106F-4039-B66C-042FDEF271D3.png

--

I also wanted to have these new wheels (Audi Sport, they come with semi-slicks, not sure which one though, Cup 2s or some new certification tires) installed but they are still not available (TÜV clearance missing). Will probably get them once available, I really like how they look.

audi-r8-performance-parts-rad-0094848-1200x800.jpg

--

Nice wheels kiss

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Preview of the car that will replace the R8? https://www.motor1.com/news/235722/audi-vision-gran-turismo-teased/

These are video game cars. They dont actually make them.

Nice wheelsSmiley

noone1:

These are video game cars. They dont actually make them.

Perhaps you should notify Bugatti that they did it wrong when they built a Bugatti Vision Gran Turismo, introducing the design language of the Bugatti Chiron: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1113642_american-collector-snaps-up-bugatti-vision-gt-concept

just priced up a very basic RWS Coupe with the only notable option the 19" forged wheels, a grand total of £2200 of options.

UK broker's price for the car after discount is £102k. Tempting! Waiting for demo drive.

sfo:

just priced up a very basic RWS Coupe with the only notable option the 19" forged wheels, a grand total of £2200 of options.

UK broker's price for the car after discount is £102k. Tempting! Waiting for demo drive.

Before you choose one, look at slightly used V10 Plus and how much they cost and drive one as well.

Unless of course you want a new one... 

Good thing about the R8 V10 (non-Plus) version: You can easily tune it to 610 hp with a software update only (engine, gearbox are identical to the Plus version, so no reliability issues). As far as I know, even the gear ratio has been taken over from the Plus version, so...

If you need the extra power...the RWS feels powerful as it is.

Car also has the chassis setup from the R8 V10 Plus with standard chassis, unfortunately no dynamic steering but many (not me) don't like it anyway.

--

I like the idea of a new car, and especially a non quattro R8 ..

Dynamic steering and adaptive dampers not available.

I am trying to track down a demo .. not easy!

sfo:

If you can't get a RWS demo, get a V10 Plus demo (the V10 non-Plus version has a different chassis and feels less precise/sporty close to the limit). The engine alone will make you shiver... Smiley

Drive in Dynamic mode or Performance mode DRY only (if needed, you can re-activate ESP in Performance mode DRY once you activated the mode).

--

Special lease offer in Germany...999 EUR (without VAT though) for 36 months, 10k km per year.

2018-03-13_13-47-07.jpg

--

Is that no money down? In the USA if you buy the car new you will instantly loose the entire $$ value of that 36 months lease...

SciFrog:

Is that no money down? In the USA if you buy the car new you will instantly loose the entire $$ value of that 36 months lease...

No money down, right.

--

RC:
    sfo:

If you can't get a RWS demo, get a V10 Plus demo (the V10 non-Plus version has a different chassis and feels less precise/sporty close to the limit). The engine alone will make you shiver... Smiley

Drive in Dynamic mode or Performance mode DRY only (if needed, you can re-activate ESP in Performance mode DRY once you activated the mode).

the engine for me is the MAIN attraction, I experienced the V10 on Lamborgihin Esperienza in Bologna and a R8 Spyder quattro last year

the test drive is about how the R8 RWS feels .. I found the Huracan RWD more fun, engaging and alert than the Huracan 4WD last year.

do you think the R8 RWS will be similar to, if not the same as, Huracan RWD?

Basically same car (LP580-2) but with 40 hp less.  You can easily add 70 hp though through a simple software update (ABT or others). Since the car has apparently the gear ratio of the V10 Plus (regular V10 has a different one), no issues. Reliability? Well, same engine and gearbox is installed in the non-Plus version, incl. the RWS as well, so no problem.

Would I do it? Probably not. The software update messes with the traction and the ESP system. Car has plenty of power for road usage.

--

I don't like messing with OEM spec and fittings. 540PS is more than plenty. We have much lower speeds in the UK,

limited edition on sale with very low lease deal enlightened something is wrong in this world

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

limited edition on sale with very low lease deal enlightened something is wrong in this world

There is nothing wrong, people don't want this car. Smiley

Lately, I get the feeling that the R8 sells bad in Germany because people care about brand images much more than in the past. Talked to a couple of my friends, people I know and unlike before, they want to put their money only into brands like Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren and so on... Even Lamborghini seems to be now more popular than getting a 200k Audi, as sad as this is.

The reputation of the R8 over here is pretty good in sportscar circles but...and here comes the thing "it is an Audi...". Smiley I am well "accepted" with the sportscar driving crowd over here but they can't stop making jokes about "why an Audi..." and stuff like that, not that I really care, especially since the Audi kicks some ass pretty often. Smiley

My kids and their friends absolutely love the R8 but adults seem to have a different relationship to the car. Smiley Which is good in another way...envy seems to be quite low, lower than for my Porsche GTS cab for example. Smiley

For me, the R8 is a dream come true because I basically drive a Lamborghini for the cost of an...Audi. I know how this sounds but since the R8 is my weekend fun car, I cannot afford putting thousands of EUR per month into such a toy. Maintenance cost is at an exceptionally low level for such a car, same goes to insurance cost. I couldn't be happier. The lease cost is ridiculous for such a car and I actually plan to continue the lease or buy the car after the lease if I'm not switching to the facelift or a V10 Plus Spyder (not sure about it since my wife always gets a cab for herself, so there isn't really a need for another open top car).

Interesting: There is a very popular German tuner on YouTube (actually, he became popular through YouTube), his name is JP (JP Performance). This guy just got himself a R8 V10 Plus and while he is always doing some projects around the car (new exhaust, new chassis, new intake, now probably supercharging it, new clutch, bla bla bla), he always says that the car is perfect as it is and you cannot make the R8 better with tuning. This comes from a tuner who actually wants to sell stuff. He loves the car, also has an Aventador (which says something about the fun driving the R8) and other cars. Loved it when he installed an aftermarket exhaust (which he got from a company to test), drove around with it and actually said that it doesn't sound good, the OEM sound is better. Smiley What I love about this guy (probably also the reason why he is so popular): He seems to be very honest and passionate about his job.

Long story short: If someone doesn't want to pay big bucks (incl. maintenance/repair cost) for a super sportscar, the R8 is really a great deal and extremely fun to drive. You just need to be thick skinned if you run with a bunch of expensive cars enthusiasts because make no mistake, they are going to mock you, even if it is for fun only and sometimes you hear unintentional sudden comments like "I cannot believe how good this car sounds...". Smiley

--

sfo:

I don't like messing with OEM spec and fittings. 540PS is more than plenty. We have much lower speeds in the UK,

Wise decision but I was just saying...it is easy to add 70 hp because the hardware is ready for it. Not that you really need it. Had a V10 Spyder a couple of times for a weekend and drove the RWS for over an hour and I be damned if I really felt a difference to my V10 Plus. Only in the upper speed and rev range, there is a noticeable difference but up to 180-200 kph? Not much.

--

the RWS edition would be a blast on track. I don't know where it stands on weight saving but should be better.

I understand your explanation on the R8 and the ''image'' everybody has from it as an ''Audi''.

no hype = no demand = current situation = very interesting price for buyer. I don't see any issue with that.

I am more into track and GT from Porsche but I completely see this R8 as a fun car for the road.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

the RWS edition would be a blast on track. I don't know where it stands on weight saving but should be better.

I understand your explanation on the R8 and the ''image'' everybody has from it as an ''Audi''.

no hype = no demand = current situation = very interesting price for buyer. I don't see any issue with that.

I am more into track and GT from Porsche but I completely see this R8 as a fun car for the road.

The R8 is an amazing track car (no surprise here, the R8 and the R8 LMS share 51% of parts, no road Porsche, incl. GT models, share that many parts with their racing counterparts, engine is actually 99% same in the race car, only slightly downtuned because of regulations and with a different injection system) but it needs the proper tires and a proper chassis setup.

The car can be tricky at the limit, car is also very very sensitive to tire pressure (one reason I drive with the comfort pressure up to 270 kph because it provides the best setup for the track and/or curvy roads).

Audi tried to make a compromise (chassis) and it didn't really pay off in my opinion.

There is a chassis upgrade available from Audi Performance parts, which makes the car really fast on the track (I got some numbers, apparently up to breathtaking 10 seconds faster on the Nordschleife) but it makes no sense getting it because it is expensive (7000 EUR incl. install), it deactivates Magnetic Ride and since I'm not often on the track, it doesn't make much sense.

Will probably go for the new wheel set though, which also includes Michelin Cup 2 (which are not really as good in the dry as the usual Cup 2, this is the Audi version which has been improved for wet pavement). Not sure yet though since I kind of like the current wheels as well and the PZero PZ4 has some big advantages in the wet, best wet tire I've driven for a very long time (in Audi flavor...it carries an Audi rating).

Long story short: For someone who wants to pay little money for a great car and couldn't care less about brand image, the R8 is perfect. Smiley

--

RC:
    the-missile:

The R8 is an amazing track car (no surprise here, the R8 and the R8 LMS share 51% of parts, no road Porsche, incl. GT models, share that many parts with their racing counterparts, engine is actually 99% same in the race car, only slightly downtuned because of regulations and with a different injection system) but it needs the proper tires and a proper chassis setup.

The car can be tricky at the limit, car is also very very sensitive to tire pressure (one reason I drive with the comfort pressure up to 270 kph because it provides the best setup for the track and/or curvy roads).

Audi tried to make a compromise (chassis) and it didn't really pay off in my opinion.

There is a chassis upgrade available from Audi Performance parts, which makes the car really fast on the track (I got some numbers, apparently up to breathtaking 10 seconds faster on the Nordschleife) but it makes no sense getting it because it is expensive (7000 EUR incl. install), it deactivates Magnetic Ride and since I'm not often on the track, it doesn't make much sense.

Will probably go for the new wheel set though, which also includes Michelin Cup 2 (which are not really as good in the dry as the usual Cup 2, this is the Audi version which has been improved for wet pavement). Not sure yet though since I kind of like the current wheels as well and the PZero PZ4 has some big advantages in the wet, best wet tire I've driven for a very long time (in Audi flavor...it carries an Audi rating).

Long story short: For someone who wants to pay little money for a great car and couldn't care less about brand image, the R8 is perfect. Smiley

--

Long story short: For someone who wants to pay little money for a great car and could care about brand image, the GT3 is perfect. Smiley

fixed it for you. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

I understand the passion for the GT3 but this is something I wouldn't agree with. Otherwise I would have one. Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM