Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

noone1:
    Itsme:
    noone1:

BTW, on the autobahn, brake performance will not be what determines if you get rear ended when doing an emergency brake from 200 kph with a car behind you. 200 kph = 55 m/s. The reaction time for the car behind you will most likely be, at the low end, 1 second. It takes time not only to react to the lights, but also to move your foot from the accelerator to the the brakes. If it takes them even 1s to react, they'll have already traveled 55 m closer to you.

No. I am not able to decrease my speed to from 55m/s to 0 m/s in the first second of my braking.

Sorry, explained that wrong. I meant his overall braking distance will be 55m closer to you overall due to that 1s delay in reaction time.

If you're in the 911 TTS and RC is in the R8, and you brake at 200 kph, you will travel 127m from the moment you press the brakes. RC on the other hand will travel 195m from the moment you press the brakes, not 140m. He will still come to a stop in 140m from the moment he touches the brakes, but he will not brake the moment you do, thus unless you are 68m ahead of him (13m + 55m), you will get rear-ended.

That is why we (German) all learn in driving school: no distance less than half the speed in meter (going 200 km/h smallest distance 100m). Well, difficult to realize in reality

If your distance between you and the car in front of you is smaller and the police catches you you have to pay a fine (if the distance is really small you can loose your licenses). The police likes to measure this distance from Autobahn bridges, that is the reason why we have sometime those strange white markers on the street (measurement could happen without those markers). The punishment is much tougher than simple speeding. If you are involved in a crash you can get some trouble with your insurance

Weird...

IMG_0283.PNG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

My suspicion is that Audi updated their ABS software or whatever, no other explanation possible. Basically all cars in 2015 or early 2016 have worst braking numbers from 200 to 0 kph, while cars tested afterwards seem to have better values. Values with PZero road tires are always a couple of meters worse, so the R8 would still need a bit of a longer braking way from 200 to 0 kph vs the 991.2 Turbo S.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Well, the other test didn't say tires, I don't believe. Maybe the italian test was on crappy Pzero and this one is clearly on Cup 2.

Itsme:
    noone1:
    That is why we (German) all learn in driving school: no distance less than half the speed in meter (going 200 km/h smallest distance 100m). Well, difficult to realize in reality

If your distance between you and the car in front of you is smaller and the police catches you you have to pay a fine (if the distance is really small you can loose your licenses). The police likes to measure this distance from Autobahn bridges, that is the reason why we have sometime those strange white markers on the street (measurement could happen without those markers). The punishment is much tougher than simple speeding. If you are involved in a crash you can get some trouble with your insurance

Smiley I never came even close to rear ending someone on the Autobahn because I keep my distance (sometimes, this can be a mental challenge because some idiots think that if you're keeping your distance, you don't want to pass them, so they keep driving on the left lane for a very long time).

--

Why don't you flash them?

noone1:

Well, the other test didn't say tires, I don't believe. Maybe the italian test was on crappy Pzero and this one is clearly on Cup 2.

No, older tests were much worse, no matter if Cup 2 or PZero. I checked. Car manufacturers constantly update their software versions, unfortunately mostly on new cars. Old cars only get the updates if these updates are "relevant" for the car. Since Audi is using sometimes incremental updates for their softwares, it can go pretty fast, even without the customer and even the repair shop noticing. They connect the Audi tester to the car and voila, the update is uploaded.

--

noone1:

Why don't you flash them?

You can flash them once (maybe), flashing is considered coercion by German traffic laws and it could end very badly if that person has a witness in the car. So basically, if you are alone in the car and the other person is with a passenger, it is two people against one and you already lost in front of a judge. Driving in Germany is more complicated than you think, you need to be careful. Our traffic laws mostly protect the "weak" and as a sports car driver, you need to be aware that probably no judge will support you.

Did you know that while we don't have a general speed limit on the Autobahn, the law indicates a "recommended" speed of 130 kph for the Autobahn? If you pass that speed and an accident happens, even if you are not to blame, you will very likely get a part of the blame, resulting in your insurance payments to go up. Why? Because the law says that you operated at a higher risk at speeds above 130 kph.

Like I said...we have complicated laws and regulations and "itsme" is right, those distance measurements on the Autobahn shouldn't be taken lightly, a lot of people loose every year their driver's license because of these measurements. Half the speed is the minimum distance required, so when you travel at 200 kph, you need to keep 100(!) meters distance to the car in front of you. Good luck doing that. Those distance measurements usually happen on Autobahn overpasses and bridges, so they are quite predictable but there are lots of those on German Autobahns, so... The cameras are extremely small, sometimes barely visible. Careful!

--

Seems like a sort of Catch-22 situation. You aren't allowed to "coerce" them (flash your lights) to let them know you want to go faster, but how can they know you want to go faster and pass them if you are simply matching their speed from a safe distance back.

After reading RC`s last post regarding traffic rules, its hard not to admire Germans. Incredible country when it comes to rules that are applied to EVERYONE, no matter who you are. 

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

apias:

Seems like a sort of Catch-22 situation. You aren't allowed to "coerce" them (flash your lights) to let them know you want to go faster, but how can they know you want to go faster and pass them if you are simply matching their speed from a safe distance back.

You are supposed to move over from the "fast" lane if you are not actually overtaking another vehicle or can reasonably expect to imminently overtake another vehicle. It is actually referred to as the "overtaking lane". 

--

fritz

fritz:
    apias:

You are supposed to move over from the "fast" lane if you are not actually overtaking another vehicle or can reasonably expect to imminently overtake another vehicle. It is actually referred to as the "overtaking lane". 

Unfortunately, to most Americans it means "cruising lane".Smiley

fritz:
    apias:

Many years ago I was driving in interstate highway while the car in front of me did the same, I never pass cars from right side so i stayed there almost 10 minutes, when finally he changed lane ,I passed him with my head shaking,he came back bumper to bumper with me with showing gun in his hands for almost 40 minutes. couldnt find cop to stop and that 40 minutes was worst driving time I've ever had

fritz:
    apias:

Exactly, we have something called "Rechtsfahrgebot" on the Autobahn. Meaning: You are supposed to use the left lane only for passing other cars. On the other hand, passing other cars on the right is not permitted but many drivers, even Germans, don't seem to have a clue about this. Why? It is simple: The law allows passing cars on the right lane if there is a lot of traffic (traffic jam) on the left lane and speed is 60 kph or lower.. However, the speed difference is not supposed to be higher than 20 kph on the right lane. Many drivers however think that they can pass other cars on the right at 120-150 kph and this is not permitted and can lead to losing your driver's license, even if there was a traffic jam on the left lane. Some drivers are just too dumb to know/understand traffic laws. Smiley

Unfortunately, sometimes we have many cars driving on the left lane on the Autobahn at let's say 100-120 kph and some idiots are passing these cars on the right. This is not permitted but most car drivers don't have a clue about the laws. I get sometimes so pissed when someone passes me on the right because he/she also takes away my "emergency" escape route if the traffic in front of me suddenly comes to a stop (which can happen, even on the Autobahn). A friend of mine used to scare these drivers off by suddenly moving to the right when he saw them coming from the rear but this is very dangerous and I don't play such games on public roads.

Also, American drivers (tourists) in Germany often get in trouble when they pass other cars on the right. What is perfectly normal in the US, is a serious traffic offense in Germany. There was a case here in Bavaria where an unmarked police car stopped a US Driver in his rented 5 series BMW because he passed cars on the right on the Autobahn. The driver's car was confiscated(!) because apparently, he argued with the police officers about traffic laws. The law in Germany is clear: No passing on the right on the Autobahn, unless the traffic on the left (passing) lane is going 60 kph or slower.

--

No overtaking on the right lane in Spain either, I think its across all Europe. Left lane is only for overtaking, after you are done you need to move back to the right lane and free the left lane. However that doesn't stop plenty of idiots hogging the left lane. You can flash your lights at them though, none of that coercion nonsense here. 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

No overtaking on the right lane in Spain either, I think its across all Europe. Left lane is only for overtaking, after you are done you need to move back to the right lane and free the left lane. However that doesn't stop plenty of idiots hogging the left lane. You can flash your lights at them though, none of that coercion nonsense here. 

Tell me about it. Smiley I usually have a different method to make them understand that I can pass them: I let myself fall back and fully accelerate after that, so they see me "coming" pretty fast in their rear view mirror. Usually, this works but not always.

--

Interesting fun fact (not really R8 related but I was very surprised to read about that):

Did you know that there is a huge 0-300 kph performance difference between the RS6 Performance, RS7 Sportback Performance and S8 Plus, although all three cars use the same 605 hp engine?

Aerodynamics seems to be the key factor here, the RS6 Performance (estate) has the worst aerodynamics.

From 0-300 kph, the RS6 Performance needs 39.4 seconds but the RS7 Sportback Performance needs only 32.1 seconds, it is over 7 seconds faster. The S8 Plus needs 33.7 seconds.

For comparison: The R8 V10 Plus needs 28.8 seconds.

So for the Autobahn, the RS7 Sportback Performance and the S8 Plus are clearly the better choice. Pretty interesting, didn't know that before that aerodynamics can cause such a performance difference.

From 0-200 kph, all three (RS6, RS7 and S8) have basically the same performance.

--

Yes, aerodynamics surely play a major role for speeds over 200km/h. Do they also have the same gearboxes with identical gears and ratios?

Then again, I would happily sacrifice the 7 seconds performance penalty from 200 to 300 km/h for the additional luggage room in the RS6.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

200-300 is irrelevant everywhere in the world except Germany...

SciFrog:

I would argue it is irrelevant in Germany too Smiley

--

RC:

Interesting fun fact (not really R8 related but I was very surprised to read about that):

Did you know that there is a huge 0-300 kph performance difference between the RS6 Performance, RS7 Sportback Performance and S8 Plus, although all three cars use the same 605 hp engine?

Aerodynamics seems to be the key factor here, the RS6 Performance (estate) has the worst aerodynamics.

From 0-300 kph, the RS6 Performance needs 39.4 seconds but the RS7 Sportback Performance needs only 32.1 seconds, it is over 7 seconds faster. The S8 Plus needs 33.7 seconds.

For comparison: The R8 V10 Plus needs 28.8 seconds.

So for the Autobahn, the RS7 Sportback Performance and the S8 Plus are clearly the better choice. Pretty interesting, didn't know that before that aerodynamics can cause such a performance difference.

From 0-200 kph, all three (RS6, RS7 and S8) have basically the same performance.

This isn't necessarily indicative of what you're implying. They could be the same actually up to much high speeds than 200kph. They could only begin to differ significantly from 270-300. 100 kph is too low of a sampling resolution to make any conclusive claims about the aerodynamics. 

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

Not to certain people, but I know it's definitely irrelevant for Swiss! Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    SciFrog:

Not to certain people, but I know it's definitely irrelevant for Swiss! Smiley

Yes, from 0 to prison in 5 seconds Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I know but I found it to be quite interesting that aerodynamics are supposed to make such a difference. According to the source, the gear ratio is the same as well.

Seven seconds...I mean this is not something you can ignore. Seven.

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

I know but I found it to be quite interesting that aerodynamics are supposed to make such a difference. According to the source, the gear ratio is the same as well.

Seven seconds...I mean this is not something you can ignore. Seven.

I really do not know what is so mind blowing about this.  Air resistance increases exponentially (rather than proportionally) with speed.  So the differences between the cars have a larger effect when accelerating from 275kph - 300mph, than when accelerating from 75kph - 100mph.

In the extreme example, that is why the various versions of the Veyron / Chiron need hundreds more hp than the last to achieve significantly higher top speed.  Also check out 911 GT3 RS v. 911R.  The former pretty much hits a wall 15 mph or so before the other.

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

Tell me about it. Smiley I usually have a different method to make them understand that I can pass them: I let myself fall back and fully accelerate after that, so they see me "coming" pretty fast in their rear view mirror. Usually, this works but not always.

That's a weird approach. I first flash highbeams, than put left indicator on... if at this point still not moving over, they are clearly doing it on purpose to annoy you... so at this point it's more fun to pick an on/off ramp to pass everyone on the right Smiley

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Audi R8 V10 Plus video review by Chris Harris for Top Gear...

Video link: http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-sideways-audi-r8-v10-plus

wink 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Video link: http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-sideways-audi-r8-v10-plus

wink 

The star of the show is that engine, there is no substitute for natural aspiration... 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

wink 

The star of the show is that engine, there is no substitute for natural aspiration... 

He seems to like it very much, so what were his problems with the Huracan? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Carlos from Spain:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

wink 

The V10 engine is divine. However, this is only part of the package. The gearbox is fantastic as well (for the very first time, I shift manually only with a DCT all the time) and I love the razor sharp steering with very short steering way.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM