Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Full acceleration? Speed limit are 40mph and half the drivers are woman. My Macan probably sounds better...

I would not own a sportscar if I drove below 40mph most of the time... That is boring even with some loud noise. For that use better get a comfortable sedan Smiley 

Then, I'd get asleep. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Full acceleration? Speed limit are 40mph and half the drivers are woman. My Macan probably sounds better...

I would not own a sportscar if I drove below 40mph most of the time... That is boring even with some loud noise. For that use better get a comfortable sedan Smiley 

Then, I'd get asleep. Smiley Smiley

Well, get a comfortable, self-driving, electric van with a bed installed in the back (very retro) and no problem.

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. LOL

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

If I had the R8 I would be arrested daily. While I love the sound I also like the shove of the old mezger turbo. At almost ten years old now it seems to be getting quicker and quicker. Maybe I am getting slower. Lol. While I might want more sound I am certain its stealthy nature saves me constantly and I can travel quickly and silently from a to b. With signals of course. My car is hitting 85 k and I am thinking about a short post about the various repairs I have performed over the years while owning the old beast. Like refitting all the coolant connections, water pump, brakes, stuck throttle body, axels. Little stuff like that. Any interest in such a short thread?  

PS. My wife now has a YouTube cooking channel if anyone is interested. Last menu was chicken schnitzel and parsley new potatoes.  Kaku's Kitchen. She needs subscribers  I will not mention it again  lol  

Cheers

fully agree....and as mentioned many times is that since 997 model (actually even 996) the turbo has been too perfect.

but at that time, the competition was not that good (or even better) so it was not considered boring.

now that there are many cars providing the same level of performance or even better, while providing more in the looks and emotions department the turbo has become somewhat bland.

imo it is still the best overall package out there but its become too clinical.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Leawood, I would love to read a thread on the maintenance of the tt!
    --

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Me too Smiley
    Had a 997 Turbo 2007 at this time as well.
    I really loved it. Meteor grey and full leather package in red with grey stichting.

steel towers.jpg

stichting door.jpg

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Leawood911:

My car is hitting 85 k and I am thinking about a short post about the various repairs I have performed over the years while owning the old beast. Like refitting all the coolant connections, water pump, brakes, stuck throttle body, axels. Little stuff like that. Any interest in such a short thread?  

Cheers

Yes Smiley

--

J.Seven

Leawood911:

If I had the R8 I would be arrested daily. While I love the sound I also like the shove of the old mezger turbo. At almost ten years old now it seems to be getting quicker and quicker. Maybe I am getting slower. Lol. While I might want more sound I am certain its stealthy nature saves me constantly and I can travel quickly and silently from a to b. With signals of course. My car is hitting 85 k and I am thinking about a short post about the various repairs I have performed over the years while owning the old beast. Like refitting all the coolant connections, water pump, brakes, stuck throttle body, axels. Little stuff like that. Any interest in such a short thread?  

PS. My wife now has a YouTube cooking channel if anyone is interested. Last menu was chicken schnitzel and parsley new potatoes.  Kaku's Kitchen. She needs subscribers  I will not mention it again  lol  

Cheers

Well, I am struggling...believe me. Always too fast in this thing... Smiley

--

Well...apparently thugs love the new R8 as well... Stolen from a German rental company with false IDs.

13559069_1559013511067510_7056650280470481849_o-2.jpg

--

Not that bad...luggage room R8. Two larger cabin trolleys fit in the back of the seats and another one in the front trunk.

IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG

--

I drove the R8 Plus again today , for one and a half hour on public roads .  Monday I had already  driven it for 5 laps around the Nurburgring F1 circuit .

On track it was very quickly clear that it was no replacement for my RS .

On public road , the R8 is much more adapted . The car does not compare to my RS, as the RS is much more '' raw'' and not intended for the same purpose .

I suppose the R8 compares to the Turbo S ( kind of ) , the AMG GT s ,  maybe McLaren 650 S , Aston Martin .....

I found the engine in the R8 to be very impressive on public road , as it pulls hard instantly ( in my RS I have to get above 4500 rpm )  On track I like a high reving /screaming engine much more .

I liked how balanced the car, giving a sense of security + making it very easy to drive fast .

It is very comfortable in ' comfort' mode . The finish is superb and the Bang and Olafson system is way better then any Bose in Porsche .

The minus : The car lacks '' drama'' to me . The steering in confort mode is too detached ( on Dynamic mode it is good ) . The plastic paddles are a joke . 

The price of that car, with all the carbon bits ends up at exactly what I paid for my RS ..... You get a  lot for the price .

The dealer told me he has one client who sold his Huracan and get the new R8 Plus . Reason : The Huracan was too uncomfortable to drive on a daily basis . The R8 is more comfortable and more suited for a regular usage of the car .

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

1472815454848FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

It is a great car once you it depreciates a bit more. Around $140-150K, I think it would be a great buy. $200K is pushing it.

Gnil,, 

So your write up suggest the R8 is more suited to ""older folk"". indecision... You know, comfy , daily driver etc etc .

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Gnil,, 

So your write up suggest the R8 is more suited to ""older folk"". indecision... You know, comfy , daily driver etc etc .

Exactly ........ like people above 50 for example Smiley

--

Gnil:
    throt:

Gnil,, 

CHRISTIAN!!, did you hear that Smiley.

You and me too though, Gnil. Smiley..However , we are still GT boys Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Gnil:
    throt:

Gnil,, 

Not me, I have just over a month left Smiley But you are deep in it Smiley  Smiley

--

Hahaha, you are correct. December 15 and I am 51. Volvoitis is going to kick in surprise...indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Volvoitis! 

Sounds like I have to wait at least 10 years before I get an R8 indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

Volvoitis! 

Sounds like I have to wait at least 10 years before I get an R8 indecision

Hahaha. Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Gnil:
    throt:

Gnil,, 

I got several thumbs up driving my R8 on some mountain roads/passes...from motorcycle riders. So I am not worried about age. LOL

Yes, the 991 GT3RS feels more "raw" but not even Vettel could have followed me in a GT3RS on the roads I was driving the R8. In Dynamic mode, the AWD/ESP setup is so amazingly neutral that no RWD car stands a chance on the roads I was driving. Roads were partially damaged or with changing surface quality, sometimes even a bit wet from last night's thunderstorm. My friend in the 458 Spider couldn't follow most of the time and unlike me, he is a professional driver (yes, 50% of the driving performance was thanks to the amazing neutral setup of the R8 in Dynamic mode). The GT3RS may have had an advantage in braking later here due to the lower weight but my tires were still perfectly OK (look at tire temperatures after a fast run, outside temp was around 26-30 deg C), only oil and geacrbox temps were pretty high. Brake system showed no signs of fading or a weaker pedal feel.

I also don't get the "I prefer to rev at higher rev figures" claim because I drive only in manual mode (only exception is Autobahn when there is a lot of traffic) and I usually shift at around 8200-8300 rpm. I would be surprised if someone would shift the GT3RS at higher revs because it would be ineffective.

Other than this, I agree with everything Gnil said.

1472831157361image.jpeg

--

3.4 bars at the front !!!!  What is the ' normal' pressure ?

In my RS, with the Cup2,  when I go over 2.0 at the front , I start to loose grip . At the back, 2.2 

I should of been more clear :  I like  the sound of the screening flat 6 at higher revs much better then the one in the V10 . Just a matter of personal taste . But my engine gives me more goosebumps in the higher revs then the V10 .

In the lower revs , it is the opposite 

And I have also been very confortable with the neutral setting in dynamic mode . Maybe too comfortable ? Smiley

--

Your screen layout looked nicer laugh

Yeah the inside of the Huracan is very small, mine being a Spyder is smaller still. But thank god I am not a big guy indecision

R8 is quite a bit more roomier that's for sure.

--

When I left for the fun drive, the car had 2.8 bar front and 2.4 rear. In "comfort" mode (not over 270 kph), the R8 needs 2.7 front and 2.3 rear but the temp was a bit higher than 20 deg C in the garage.

Street tires PZero, this is why they loose traction after a few fast rounds, they get too hot/tire pressure gets too high.

I was happy having them (PZero) though, my buddy with his Trofeo R was sliding more than actually driving. LOL Excellent track tires but for changing surface qualities and even some mist/slighlty wet parts, no fun. Some motorcycle riders were really amazing (or crazy?) that day, they passed my friend, kept staying behind me and after a while it was a bit too much pressure for me to look behind all the time, so I let them pass. A few kilometers later they stopped at a restaurant in a small village and showed me thumbs up. I would never drive that way on a motorcycle...

Will post some photos when I get home, enjoyed the R8 a lot.

Speaking of "Comfort" mode: Since my wife was driving the 911 GTS Cab to Italy, we were driving back to back and pretty slow (120-170 kph at max). I decided to use Comfort mode and auto D mode to see how much fuel the R8 consumes when driven in a more normal way. I managed a fuel consumption of 13 l / 100 km, not bad for such a car. I did not try to use less throttle, just in auto D mode. Quite OK.

I understand that you like a screaming flat six more but it seems I'm more into screaming V10 and a nice V8 thunder. My GTS screams nicely at higher revs but I love how the V10 sounds when I press the throttle around 50-70% at around 4000-5000 rpm, that loud V10 sound is pure aural sex for me.

Yes, the neutral setup in Dynamic mode gives the driver a lot of confidence, very good setup and trust me, you want this setup on public roads. I get it that this may not be challenging enough for the track but then, try Performance mode Dry...or you could turn ESP off completely (longer press on ESP button). You'll love the oversteer but this isn't something you'd enjoy on a public road. 

For a decent track performance, the R8 would need good semi-slicks though but I am not convinced with the available Cup 2. The Trofeo R, optionally available for the Huracan, is not officially certified for the R8.

From what I heard, there was a bit of a discussion in the VW Group how and where to position the new R8 marketing-wise and apparently there was a strong disagreement between the initial marketing preposition and what VW Group had in mind. One reason why Audi doesn't seem to try too hard to market the R8 as a track car, that Audi experience thingie seems to have been initiated with a purpose they didn't finish and now Audi is stuck with so many "young" and almost new R8 they need to sell/get rid of.

--

Oh boy, screaming V10.

RC is gunning for a CGT now SmileySmileySmiley

--

Whoopsy:

Oh boy, screaming V10.

RC is gunning for a CGT now SmileySmileySmiley

--

No way but I would gladly accept your 918.  ;-)

--

RC is wise (older) guy smiley 

You need to have some serious skills, no wife, no kids and no debts to push CG to the maximum limits angry

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:

RC is wise (older) guy smiley 

You need to have some serious skills, no wife, no kids and no debts to push CG to the maximum limits angry

CR has a CGT and I have no issues driving the CGT, it is only a bit more challenging than my previous GT500 when ESP was off. Not a car (CGT) I would like as a weekend toy, one reason I got rid of the GT500 and would never get myself a CGT (not that I could afford one right now). When it gets too challenging and exhausting, the fun isn't there anymore. With wife, kids and (my) age, I prefer a less risky ride, like the 918. More forgiving...and thus more fun.

--

OK, I didn't tell you guys because I didn't know if the videos came out OK but I was using, for the first time, a dashcam (one of those dashcams used by Russians for accident proof/etc.). Sorry for that Austrian road toll sticker (Vignette)...I completely forgot that I have the dashcam there and when I remembered, it was too late to remove it and stick it somewhere else (the sticker "self-destroys" when trying to remove it again).

I will post a few videos, nothing special, just so you get a perspective of the roads we were driving on.

This is the "thumbs up" motorcycle rider I let passing me, a few kilometers later...

motorradfahrer.jpg

--

RC, I completely understand your thoughts on CGT and I agree completely kiss 

If you have plans to buy new cam, I advise you to buy GoPro and special gimbal that absorbs all vibrations so you can get silky smooth shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSz6T-G_1Aw

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764131 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436399 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260989 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257917 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82617 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808797 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM