Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Congrats with purchase of the new monster Christina  You know, I have always been a big fan of R8 and if you recall, I had told you to pull the trigger on the R8 V10 plus (old model) last year.

The new R8 V10 Plus is in my top 5 sports car list (GT3, GT4, F12 and Speciale are the others).

I especially thank Audi for this model because of it is N/A V10 engine. If I were to sell my 458 italia, I would go for the V10 plus instead of 488 GTB which I never like. 

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

pride355:

Congrats with purchase of the new monster Christina  You know, I have always been a big fan of R8 and if you recall, I had told you to pull the trigger on the R8 V10 plus (old model) last year.

The new R8 V10 Plus is in my top 5 sports car list (GT3, GT4, F12 and Speciale are the others).

I especially thank Audi for this model because of it is N/A V10 engine. If I were to sell my 458 italia, I would go for the V10 plus instead of 488 GTB which I never like. 

Thanks so much, Onur. Smiley

Maybe we can meet for a nice fun drive around the Alps after you move to Germany... Smiley

Yes, the engine and the virtual cockpit and gearbox are the highlight of this car.

Maybe I'm getting old but I kind of started to dislike turbo charged engines... Smiley I guess I'm still suffering of the Turbo S trauma... Smiley Smiley

I really know it sounds stupid to compare the R8 with the Huracan but I always dreamt of a Lamborghini and the R8 is the closest thing to it I could get.

Here is a very nice Russian (with English subtitles) review of both back to back, the new R8 V10 Plus and the Huracan. Interesting result...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzBil-ekj9g

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    pride355:

Thanks so much, Onur. Smiley

Maybe we can meet for a nice fun drive around the Alps after you move to Germany... Smiley

Yes, the engine and the virtual cockpit and gearbox are the highlight of this car.

Maybe I'm getting old but I kind of started to dislike turbo charged engines... Smiley I guess I'm still suffering of the Turbo S trauma... Smiley Smiley

I really know it sounds stupid to compare the R8 with the Huracan but I always dreamt of a Lamborghini and the R8 is the closest thing to it I could get.

Here is a very nice Russian (with English subtitles) review of both back to back, the new R8 V10 Plus and the Huracan. Interesting result...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzBil-ekj9g
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I'm looking forward.Smiley

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

Congrats. Awesome car.

hunterone:

Congrats. Awesome car.

Thanks. Smiley Smiley

--

Can you park this baby outside your works ?, Christian.

Love the rear on her kiss

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Can you park this baby outside your works ?, Christian.

Nope...the R8 is still an exotic, even if it is an Audi. Too much for my business I'm afraid.

Love the rear on her kiss

Her? Smiley Thanks, love that ass too. Smiley

--

A few fun facts about the new R8 V10 Plus (not sure if you knew...):

1. The V10 5.2 l engine is basically the same engine Audi uses for their R8 LMS race cars but with less power (up to 585 hp) and minor(!) mods to fulfill racing rules requirements. It is manufactured on the same engine manufacture line. The racing engine needs a full revision only after 20000 km, which is sensational in motorsports.

2. The very same Audi Space Frame used as a basis for the R8, is used on both cars, the R8 and the LMS racing version. Due to specific motorsports requirements (roll bar, etc.), the LMS space frame weights even 52 kg more than on the R8 road car.

3. The new virtual cockpit is 12,3'' big and has a 1440 x 540 display resolution. To make the graphics look stunning, the virtual cockpit uses a new Nvdia Tegra 30 processor. For example, the position of the needle of the rev counter is calculated at a rate of 60 times per second to make it look real and without any lag. Fun fact: The Tesla S uses the same Nvidia T30 processor.

4. Racing version R8 LMS has over 50% same parts as R8 V10 Plus road version, which is quite amazing.

Here are some schematics, didn't even know the car has a water cooled front axle (I wonder if the Huracan has the same because I've seen some Huracan videos with an AWD system overheating warning in the display...).

A155348_medium.jpg
    A155357_medium-2.jpg
    A155329_medium.jpg
    A155344_medium.jpg
    A155367_medium.jpg
    A155328_medium.jpg
    A155361_medium.jpg
    A155365_medium.jpg

--

How did you get away with buying a 2-seater? indecision

Congrats!

Jeeps, I have never seen RC so infused. He loves this beast.

Nice info, Christian.....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

JoeRockhead:

Congrats!

You won't believe me. Actually, I cannot believe it.

In short:

1. Wife and me consider getting a RS6 instead of the GT500 because a weekend toy doesn't make a lot of sense

2. Getting the "old" R8, as planned, wasn't possible because dealer refused to go down with the price and I refused to pay what he was asking (too much in my opinion), too much for a weekend toy and wife agreed.

3. Wife and me went to other Audi dealer to look at a RS6 Performance which was offered to me by a patient of mine who works there. Good offer but wife didn't like the idea of a station wagon.

4. Wife and me test-drive the RS6 and wife surprisingly likes the RS6. A lot!

5. Me and son want to test-drive a new R8 V10 Plus also available as a special offer but wife is opposed.

6. Me and son do test-drive and love the R8, wife gets curious, also wants to drive with me in the R8.

7. Wife and me do a test-drive in the new R8 V10 Plus and when we get back to dealership, wife says "take the R8, we can take the RS6 next year when my Macan lease expires...". 

Smiley Simple, isn't it? Smiley

--

throt:

Jeeps, I have never seen RC so infused. He loves this beast.

Nice info, Christian.....

I never imagined a car can be that emotional and perfect at the same time. 

This is a car Porsche should have made...I am so disappointed with them for not offering a Porsche version of this. Smiley

--

Congrats, Christian and thank you for the very useful review, as always.

I also never had taken an Audi into consideration. However, you have transmitted the „R8 virus" to me. As I am currently looking for a „fun car“ your valuable information has arrived pretty „in time“. 

Today I was able to make an initial fitting test and a test drive will be scheduled asap. 

In the so called „ibis white“ the R8 looks very good as well (pics attached) but I would combine the black wheels with this color. My first impression: as you already wrote, the car looks far better in the flesh than on the pics. The whole build quality is at a very high level.

But just as a litte remark:

The seats seems somewhat mounted too high, they should be somewhat lower.
    Nevertheless, nothing can be seen from the front hood. One has to estimate the dimensions when maneuvering.

Anyway: I’m already looking forward for a the test drive asap.

IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPGEnjoy your fascinating sportscar!

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

RC:
    JoeRockhead:

Congrats!

In short:

1. Wife and me consider getting a RS6 instead of the GT500 because a weekend toy doesn't make a lot of sense

2. Getting the "old" R8, as planned, wasn't possible because dealer refused to go down with the price and I refused to pay what he was asking (too much in my opinion), too much for a weekend toy and wife agreed.

3. Wife and me went to other Audi dealer to look at a RS6 Performance which was offered to me by a patient of mine who works there. Good offer but wife didn't like the idea of a station wagon.

5. Me and son want to test-drive a new R8 V10 Plus also available as a special offer but wife is opposed.

6. Me and son do test-drive and love the R8, wife gets curious, also wants to drive with me in the R8.

7. Wife and me do a test-drive in the new R8 V10 Plus and when we get back to dealership, wife says "take the R8, we can take the RS6 next year when my Macan lease expires...". 

As I've said before, welcome to the club.  There are many Audis that are delightful.  In the States, we only have the pleasure of the RS7 or S8, which for all purposes, is an RS model.

RC:

She could easily take award for Wife of the year  SmileySmileySmiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

RC:

In short:

Nice! And RS6 possible in the future as well? Smiley

Congrats Christian , good to see you going for what you really wanted. Nosey neighbors de damned kiss

enjoy RC,magnificient car. especially for those of us that cannot identify with driving a ferrari or lambo (no offence to owners are respective marques. i admire both, just cant identify with them)

as for the B&O, same problem i had with the sls....maybe Lars can chime in as well.

treble and mids were ok. the bass was absolutely awful. they simply did not find enough volume to fit decent bass drivers and woofers. i believe same goes for the R8. in the sls it was horrendous to the extent that i just didnt listen to music in it.

in my rapide its fantastic. more space for more voluminous woofer enclosures. the lens effect is kinda cool, i agree.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

RC:

Here are some schematics, didn't even know the car has a water cooled front axle (I wonder if the Huracan has the same because I've seen some Huracan videos with an AWD system overheating warning in the display...).

It occurs when you install wrong tire size (e.g. Trofeo R) or aftermarket wheels with different rolling diameters than stock.

Congrats on the V10 Plus Smiley

One more reason to go for RWD Huracan. I wonder if RC could convert his R8 to RWD??

Very cool Smiley Congratulations !!! Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Congrats RC - great looking car.

Also love your passion. Enjoy the moment!

--

Conny997:

Congrats, Christian and thank you for the very useful review, as always.

I also never had taken an Audi into consideration. However, you have transmitted the „R8 virus" to me. As I am currently looking for a „fun car“ your valuable information has arrived pretty „in time“. 

Today I was able to make an initial fitting test and a test drive will be scheduled asap. 

In the so called „ibis white“ the R8 looks very good as well (pics attached) but I would combine the black wheels with this color. My first impression: as you already wrote, the car looks far better in the flesh than on the pics. The whole build quality is at a very high level.

But just as a litte remark:

The seats seems somewhat mounted too high, they should be somewhat lower.
    Nevertheless, nothing can be seen from the front hood. One has to estimate the dimensions when maneuvering.

Anyway: I’m already looking forward for a the test drive asap.

Enjoy your fascinating sportscar!

You're too tall... Smiley I fit this car perfectly and I can see the front hood (a bit though only) but the seating position is perfect for me but I'm a little bit shorter than you.

You need to take a test-drive to see if the car "fits" you. Also, you should talk to the dealer if they can "adjust" the driver's seat in a way where it is lower but you can still see the front hood.

I am pretty sure this can be achieved since most Germans I know are usually taller (1.8-1.85m) than I am and I cannot imagine Audi has no tall customers. Smiley

You need also to adjust the steering wheel to your height, it can be adjusted pretty well (long way towards driver and up and down, so perfect for a good adjustment).

--

wantone:

One more reason to go for RWD Huracan. I wonder if RC could convert his R8 to RWD??

Why would I go for a RWD R8? Smiley

I love the R8 V10 Plus like it is and the chassis/tire/AWD/ESP setup is very good (wrote about it in my short review, did some pretty crazy stuff in a wet roundabout and the car is rocksolid, didn't even want to slide).

I checked what BiTurbo wrote, apparently this is true: Some car magazines seem to have received a Huracan test-car with the wrong front tire size (crazy, isn't it?) and some tuners also seem to use exotic tire combinations and the AWD system doesn't seem to take these changes lightly.

--

Milanno:
    RC:

She could easily take award for Wife of the year  SmileySmileySmiley

Indeed. Smiley She usually doesn't care much about my cars but she had a point when she said that a family car makes more sense than another weekend toy. Since her lease runs out next year though, we still have the possibility to get a RS6 or whatever. Either she gets the RS6 or she takes over my 991 GTS lease (she loves the GTS Cab), we find a solution. Most important thing is: I have now a Lamborghini in my stable...oh well...almost a Lamborghini. Smiley 

--

Thanks for your wishes, guys.

Here is a short video I made, nothing special, I try to make something nicer once I have the car permanently and find some time to drive it for a longer period of time.

For now, this has to suffice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atjS2AElbWU

As you can see, the car is pretty fast in the upper speed range and the 7th gear is not for fuel consumption but a real driving gear. Top speed of 330 kph (205 mph) is reached somewhere around 8500 rpm or so...I think.

According to my GPS, the speedo error at 330 kph is 8 kph (so it displays 338 kph instead of 330).

Did some 0-300 kph (actually 0-200 kph and then 200 to 300 kph because of traffic) testing and the results are amazing.

0-200 kph in 8.9 seconds (driver only though and fuel tank was only 1/3), 0-300 kph in 27.6 seconds. 0-100 kph time was not very accurate, don't know why...came up with results between 2.7 and 3.5 seconds, which cannot be right.

Car is in a very good shape though, this is for sure. A friend trying to follow in his Carrera GT wasn't successful and the difference was bigger than any of us anticipated (up to 300+ kph).

No matter how accurate these GPS numbers are, the R8 V10 Plus is fast and plays in a big boys league. Not in the 918, P1, LaFerrari or even 675LT league but still...very nice.

--

enjoy the car! next time you will be ready  for lambo/ferrari!!!!!

RC, magnificent car! Please keep it as it is, including the stripes and wheels, it looks perfect. kiss

Christian, late last year I looked long and hard at the R8V10 plus. It's a great car. I wanted the Spyder. But it hadn't been introduced in the US and the dealership could not tell me when. I moved on. Congratulations and many happy driving days.kiss

Did you turn in the GTS?

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762466 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435358 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257573 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872279 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807653 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM