Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Conny997:
    Leawood911:

You can do that 24/7 including watering your yard. Grocery stores and gas stations are open 24/7 every day of the year!

I am even allowed to walk my dog anywhere without a leash.  She does not even have a dog license. Btw we only have license plates on the back of the car.   For some here this is enough to move to Kansas.  We even have quite a few people who don't believe in government and drive without license plates of any kind. Not a problem. 

Just one question: do you think  Kansas would be the place where to spend 10 or 14 days for vacation? My wife loves "special places" apart from the hotspots. Maybe it's an interesting place for her. Thanks in advanceSmiley

It depends on what you like to do.  There are lots fun things to do but not a lot of scenery (like mountains and beaches).  Perhaps Denver and the surrounding mountains would be a good way to first explore the middle of the country.

In Kansas City we do have several theme parks, water parks, tons of excellent outdoor malls, sports, museums, theatres and of course many lakes in the area.  My wife and I have no problem finding something fun to do every weekend.  On the other hand I would not want to be responsible for any recommendations because there may be expectations which are not met.  At any rate, if you decide to visit, let me know and stop over.

Smiley

Back to my favorite noise - the amazing sound of that R8  (did I mention there are NO noise restrictions for your car).

Conny997:

Just one question: do you think  Kansas would be the place where to spend 10 or 14 days for vacation? My wife loves "special places" apart from the hotspots. Maybe it's an interesting place for her. Thanks in advanceSmiley

That would probably be 9 to 13 days too long, unless your wife is particularly interested in wheat varieties.

Leawood911:
    Conny997:
    Leawood911:

You can do that 24/7 including watering your yard. Grocery stores and gas stations are open 24/7 every day of the year!

I am even allowed to walk my dog anywhere without a leash.  She does not even have a dog license. Btw we only have license plates on the back of the car.   For some here this is enough to move to Kansas.  We even have quite a few people who don't believe in government and drive without license plates of any kind. Not a problem. 

It depends on what you like to do.  There are lots fun things to do but not a lot of scenery (like mountains and beaches).  Perhaps Denver and the surrounding mountains would be a good way to first explore the middle of the country.

In Kansas City we do have several theme parks, water parks, tons of excellent outdoor malls, sports, museums, theatres and of course many lakes in the area.  My wife and I have no problem finding something fun to do every weekend.  On the other hand I would not want to be responsible for any recommendations because there may be expectations which are not met.  At any rate, if you decide to visit, let me know and stop over.

Smiley

Back to my favorite noise - the amazing sound of that R8  (did I mention there are NO noise restrictions for your car).

Thanks a lot. I think I've got your message.Smiley

Actually we already stayed in Denver 15 years ago but just 6 hours at the airport Smiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

apias:
    Conny997:

That would probably be 9 to 13 days too long, unless your wife is particularly interested in wheat varieties.

You don't know my wifeSmiley so far as I knowSmiley

Actualy she's interested in plants of all kind 

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    apias:
    Conny997:

You don't know my wifeSmiley so far as I knowSmiley

Actualy she's interested in plants of all kind 

If that is code then I highly recommend Denver. 

apias:
    Conny997:

Apias I actually agree. It is a great place to live or to visit family and friends but it is not oriented toward tourism. It is not that we don't have all the amenities but they are geared toward locals.  Hard to explain but it just not for tourists. I can't think of any currency exchange places in town or public transport, even many taxis. Everyone has a few cars. Taxis here just give drunks a drive home.  On the other hand some seasoned travelers enjoy cities that are not full of tourists. It is easier to blend in and people are very friendly toward foreigners they meet. 

Back to the R8. Have you mounted the new tires?  I read the section you added at the start of the thread!  Thanks!

The chart of all the settings and permutations is impressive. Imagine the variables for an F1 car. I can see the trend. 

RC:

Kansas is basically like a US version of Bavaria, so... yes 

I can't help it, I like very warm weather all year long and a nice beach as well maybe...

Kansas has way better steaks and bbq than Bavaria. No one in Kansas cares what car you drive, no one will come up and start speaking Russian to you or try to rob you in a parking garage. One Cuban restaurant there with some sand and a palm tree outside and even you might like it. Smiley

Leawood911:

You sound like an Kansas Ambassador Smiley

However - I remember you talking about this beautiful place since years. I even checked houses on Trulia and was amazed that you really can get huge lands, beautiful houses for an affordable price. The weather is probably a bit better than Germany (there is no worse place anywhere else), but still you are having real seasons. 

We should really have a deeper look on to it. Smiley

Did anyone mention you can get Google Fiber in Kansas City, that's like a huge bonus haha

Lars997:
    Leawood911:

However - I remember you talking about this beautiful place since years. I even checked houses on Trulia and was amazed that you really can get huge lands, beautiful houses for an affordable price. The weather is probably a bit better than Germany (there is no worse place anywhere else), but still you are having real seasons. 

I am sure there is a catch somewhere. If it was the perfect state why everybody wants to go to NYC/California/Florida?

fritz:

image1-2.jpg

Doesn't Audi show this info in the Driver's Manual?  

I'm just in the market to buy one but don't own a R8 yet. And there seems to be no way to get the manual online. 

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Yes all of the above. I'm certain there are webpages which can provide that info. I will try and link one. Anyone coming to visit is invited for BBQ at my house!  

Yeah, but can you wash your car on Sunday? that is the real question we are all interested in Smiley

Smiley Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Leawood911:

Back to the R8. Have you mounted the new tires?  I read the section you added at the start of the thread!  Thanks!

Not yet. Car goes back to dealer end of July for a complementary oil change and checkup and if the tires are available by then, they will be mounted. Not so sure anymore if I want them though, the wet performance impressed me so much...unbelievable. I am not exaggerating, this is the best car in the wet I ever drove, you can basically use all the power without any grip issues. Very good AWD setup and I guess the tires play an important role as well. That roundabout part I do at 65 kph in my GTS Cab, I can do at 75 kph in the R8 and I didn't even try to be faster because I was scared. Smiley

The chart of all the settings and permutations is impressive. Imagine the variables for an F1 car. I can see the trend. 

Yes, the setup options are quite impressive but Performance mode DRY is quite extreme, similar to Sport Plus but the AWD switches to a more RWD oriented setup, which makes the car difficult to control with that much power. Chris Harris would love it though... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

wantone:
    Lars997:
    Leawood911:

I am sure there is a catch somewhere. If it was the perfect state why everybody wants to go to NYC/California/Florida?

This is where the action is... Smiley 

I like Florida because of the weather, the people (kind of a mixture of South America, Europe and USA) and of course the (warm) ocean.

California isn't our thing but I can see the attraction, very beautiful place with many national parks not too far away. Also, there is Las Vegas and the big deserts, I love that.

NYC is an impressive place but again, not our thing. We like visiting it every five or ten years and the Statue of Liberty always puts me in a very emotional state but since 9/11, I cannot really "enjoy" NYC anymore and when I visited the 9/11 Memorial, it was one of the saddest days in my life and my kids even started crying when they saw this flower... (see photo). Not a happy place for us.

unspecified-20.jpeg

--

Conny997:
    fritz:

image1-2.jpg

Doesn't Audi show this info in the Driver's Manual?  

I'm just in the market to buy one but don't own a R8 yet. And there seems to be no way to get the manual online. 

Sorry, Conny, I should have made it clearer that I was addressing my question to RC. He already has his R8, and presumably a Driver's Manual too.  

I'd guessed that you are still researching the car, and therefore restricted to brochures and the internet for information.  Smiley

--

fritz

Upsa:

Start an Audi forum or at least a separate thing like AMG & Ferrari etc...this is primarily a Porsche deal

You are aware that this thread is in the "Other Sports Cars" section, are you? Smiley

I don't think it is necessary to open a new Audi forum just for one or two (maybe soon...Smiley) R8 here in the forum.

--

There are more Volvos than Audis on the forum and we don't even have an awesome Volvo section yes Just saying indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

There are more Volvos than Audis on the forum and we don't even have an awesome Volvo section yes Just saying indecision

Smiley

--

fritz:

Sorry, Conny, I should have made it clearer that I was addressing my question to RC. He already has his R8, and presumably a Driver's Manual too.  

I'd guessed that you are still researching the car, and therefore restricted to brochures and the internet for information.  Smiley

The different drive modes are not explained that accurate in the R8 manual, I found them in a R8 forum and the owner who posted them apparently got them from Audi at a special request.

I received my manual yesterday, dealer forgot to give it to me. Just yesterday I also learned that my car has the optional 83 l fuel tank (standard is 73 l) because the dealer provided the printout from the factory. I had an options printout from the sales department and the 83 l fuel tank (optional) was not included. Now I know why I could fill up over 62 liters when the remaining range was showing 140 km. Smiley

Today I plan to set up the Individual driving mode with the throttle response and gearbox shifting time of the Performance mode DRY but the rest of the setup from the Dynamic mode. Until now I wasn't able to do that because I didn't have a precise description of the setup parameters. Smiley

I will also install the new navigation data update downloaded from Audi's customer site, almost 16GB of data, I don't have a clue how long it will take to update my navigation system but all updates are cost free, which is very convenient and customer friendly.

--

RC:
    fritz:

The different drive modes are not explained that accurate in the R8 manual, I found them in a R8 forum and the owner who posted them apparently got them from Audi at a special request. 

Thanks for the response.  Smiley  Interesting that Audi has not included all the information in the manual which you'd expect to interest the more enthusiastic owner. 

I received my manual yesterday, dealer forgot to give it to me. Just yesterday I also learned that my car has the optional 83 l fuel tank (standard is 73 l) because the dealer provided the printout from the factory. I had an options printout from the sales department and the 83 l fuel tank (optional) was not included. Now I know why I could fill up over 62 liters when the remaining range was showing 140 km. Smiley

Lucky break for you, having the larger tank. Smiley

Today I plan to set up the Individual driving mode with the throttle response and gearbox shifting time of the Performance mode DRY but the rest of the setup from the Dynamic mode. Until now I wasn't able to do that because I didn't have a precise description of the setup parameters. Smiley

I will also install the new navigation data update downloaded from Audi's customer site, almost 16GB of data, I don't have a clue how long it will take to update my navigation system but all updates are cost free, which is very convenient and customer friendly.

Good to hear that the ripoff prices for navigation updates are (hopefully) a thing of the past. 

--

fritz

RC:

Here are the three 20'' wheel choices... (mine is in the middle but the real difference to the first one is more substantial than you can actually recognize in these pictures...the first ones are glossier... Smiley)

2016-06-09_16-52-05.jpg
    2016-06-09_16-51-23.jpg
    2016-06-09_16-49-23.jpg

--

wooooowwwwwww  that's ugleeeeeeeSmiley

Which one? 

--

Middle one for me is best..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Middle one for me is best..

This is the one I have... Smiley I was actually thinking about painting the rims in black but for the first time, I don't think that the black rims fit the Suzuka Grey color. Suzuka Grey has a very mild blueish tone in the color and the titanium grey of the rims go perfectly with Suzuka Grey. White would have been a different story, saw an Ibis White car with black rims and it looked gorgeous, same goes to a red car with black rims.

I cannot say I love the color choice for my car but for me and my social environment, it was the clever choice.

--

I would leave it, Christian. Stripe removal was the correct decision too. Your R8 looks just right imo.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

I would leave it, Christian. Stripe removal was the correct decision too. Your R8 looks just right imo.

x2. Looks great like this, I like the color combo & and wheels for this car very much Smiley the stripes was all that needed to go.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

throt:

Yes and no. For my social environment, it looks right (I will post a summary of my neighborhood "block party" at the end of this post) but I am not in love with the look, especially the color. It looks acceptable though and I care more about the driving experience, which is fantastic.

Speaking of my social environment: Last weekend, we had a neighborhood block party. Usually, I try to avoid such parties because I do not care about closer social bonds with most people there and I also don't drink alcohol and there is a lot of alcohol there. Smiley

Well, I joined because my wife asked me to. Now guess what the first topic was? Right. My new R8. They saw it only once maybe parked in front of my garage and the whole neighborhood knew. We are talking dozens of people here, not just a few persons. Surprisingly, the tone was pretty positive, many drive themselves Audis and they love the R8. Then, the whole discussion shifted towards that McLaren I was talking about and while the general tone was positive, I realized that some were making ironic comments about the owner and how much money he spent on the McLaren.

Now here is an interesting fact: The owner of that McLaren meets the people in the neighborhood pretty often, he is a guy who loves social contacts (or to show off... Smiley) and there is an ice cream parlor where everybody meets in the evening, kind of a meeting point for the whole neighborhood. Smiley This McLaren owner told people that his car has increased in value since he bought it and now he is selling it with a 50k EUR profit and this is actually the first car he made money with and didn't loose money, like with his former Porsches. He also told the neighbors that his car is a special edition out of 50 cars and very valuable. Also, he told them that he paid over 350k EUR for the car.

His McLaren is an ordinary 12C Spider, no special edition, nothing. Also, these cars are real bargains now, you can get them with low mileage for under 200k, even under 190k EUR. I don't have a clue why he told people what he told them but my guess is: He wanted to make them believe that this car costs him nothing and he even made money with it. Smiley

Now here comes the biggest surprise: Apparently, they believed everything he said (he is a doctor, so why would a doctor lie? Smiley). Smiley

While talking about cars, I also noticed that our neighbors knew everything going on around our house, the repairs, the gardener, the water delivery service and so on. As if our house is under constant surveillance.

My wife joked again that we don't have to worry about burglars or criminals because our house is under constant surveillance. Smiley Smiley

Anyway, my wife was right to make me go to that block party, I learned a lot. First, people want attention and do not like it, when you avoid them. Second, it was interesting to learn what they think about you and yes, most of them were drunk and were quite open with their opinion. Smiley I also learned that they care a lot about the cars and the money and everything related to it but if you don't provoke them and they feel OK, no problem. That yellow color of that McLaren certainly played a huge role in provoking people, two of them even said "why did it have to be yellow, did he want to attract that much attention?". Smiley

Overall, I think that people in my neighborhood are OK and while they are indeed envious, they are willing to "accept" you if you don't draw to much attention to you. Showing off definitely doesn't pay off over here. Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    throt:

x2. Looks great like this, I like the color combo & and wheels for this car very much Smiley the stripes was all that needed to go.

Thanks, Carlos. The stripes started to annoy me, they just looked wrong on the car.

--

RC:
    throt:

Yes and no. For my social environment, it looks right (I will post a summary of my neighborhood "block party" at the end of this post) but I am not in love with the look, especially the color. It looks acceptable though and I care more about the driving experience, which is fantastic.

Speaking of my social environment: Last weekend, we had a neighborhood block party. Usually, I try to avoid such parties because I do not care about closer social bonds with most people there and I also don't drink alcohol and there is a lot of alcohol there. Smiley

Well, I joined because my wife asked me to. Now guess what the first topic was? Right. My new R8. They saw it only once maybe parked in front of my garage and the whole neighborhood knew. We are talking dozens of people here, not just a few persons. Surprisingly, the tone was pretty positive, many drive themselves Audis and they love the R8. Then, the whole discussion shifted towards that McLaren I was talking about and while the general tone was positive, I realized that some were making ironic comments about the owner and how much money he spent on the McLaren.

Now here is an interesting fact: The owner of that McLaren meets the people in the neighborhood pretty often, he is a guy who loves social contacts (or to show off... Smiley) and there is an ice cream parlor where everybody meets in the evening, kind of a meeting point for the whole neighborhood. Smiley This McLaren owner told people that his car has increased in value since he bought it and now he is selling it with a 50k EUR profit and this is actually the first car he made money with and didn't loose money, like with his former Porsches. He also told the neighbors that his car is a special edition out of 50 cars and very valuable. Also, he told them that he paid over 350k EUR for the car.

His McLaren is an ordinary 12C Spider, no special edition, nothing. Also, these cars are real bargains now, you can get them with low mileage for under 200k, even under 190k EUR. I don't have a clue why he told people what he told them but my guess is: He wanted to make them believe that this car costs him nothing and he even made money with it. Smiley

Now here comes the biggest surprise: Apparently, they believed everything he said (he is a doctor, so why would a doctor lie? Smiley). Smiley

While talking about cars, I also noticed that our neighbors knew everything going on around our house, the repairs, the gardener, the water delivery service and so on. As if our house is under constant surveillance.

My wife joked again that we don't have to worry about burglars or criminals because our house is under constant surveillance. Smiley Smiley

Anyway, my wife was right to make me go to that block party, I learned a lot. First, people want attention and do not like it, when you avoid them. Second, it was interesting to learn what they think about you and yes, most of them were drunk and were quite open with their opinion. Smiley I also learned that they care a lot about the cars and the money and everything related to it but if you don't provoke them and they feel OK, no problem. That yellow color of that McLaren certainly played a huge role in provoking people, two of them even said "why did it have to be yellow, did he want to attract that much attention?". Smiley

Overall, I think that people in my neighborhood are OK and while they are indeed envious, they are willing to "accept" you if you don't draw to much attention to you. Showing off definitely doesn't pay off over here. Smiley

You sound very much like me. I do not socialise that much at all, in fact, my daughter, for example, says I need to get out more and I do agree with her to a degree. I just think at our age we do get very picky with whom we consider proper friends.

When I first took delivery of my GT3 the general feedback with clients was okay, its parked for all to see. They know thats not a flaunting thing because they know me very well. 60% of them wouldn't say anything but a few would ask ""how old is it"", presuming it wasn't a new off the lot purchase. This surprised them when I replied its a brand new car. You could see them then working it out in their head as to the cost of it. Does this do my business any good?, I would say it maybe has a negative hit rate of around 20% when meeting clients for work contracts, or this could be just me getting paranoid. I can wear that loss though, if my presumptions are correct.

I also do not understand this envious jealousy BS stuff. Before I started out on my own with my little business there was a neighbour who got all the nice cars,, M BMW's, Porsche's etc etc and as soon as he took delivery I would run over to him and congratulate him, stating the normal stuff like she is a beauty. However, when my 991GT3 turned he just did not say a word to me about it which really surprised me, so go figure.

I agree, if you flaunt it, then you will promote the chances of less friends. It does appear that there are a few that hate others having financial success...

Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763611 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436025 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260824 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257791 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82565 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

873778 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808369 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM