Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

congrats RC!!!!

Again, thanks guys.
    I know, I know...an Audi? Please do me the favor and drive one, you'll understand why. It surprised me as well!

Btw: I noticed that the laser headlights, the Magnetic Ride (adaptive chassis) and the sport exhaust are missing from the USA Audi R8 configurator. Strange...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Congrats RC !! Another surprise from your side. I have not drive the R8 since the very first V10 and while I always liked the design, it looks like the new interior is really nice.

Enjoy the car and looking forward to many more pictures and reports wink

Congrats RC, I wish you very happy miles with it

--

J.Seven

Wonderful choice.

I'm happy also that you got rid of the Ford for a variety of reasons.

Congrats, certainly a great car! kiss

A little hiccup in the whole story, I can pick up the car only mid of July for various reasons which are related to that special test-car deal. Not really a huge problem since I get to drive the car from time to time but they will put another 500 km on it...not really a problem but I was really happy to take it home this week. Well, the saved money is worth it, I got another 5k EUR off the price, so I shouldn't complain. angry Apparently their next R8 test-car is delayed in production.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

JimFlat6:

Wonderful choice.

I'm happy also that you got rid of the Ford for a variety of reasons.

I am only happy because I was afraid something would break and it would cost me a lot of money. Real fun car for little money though but manual wasn't really for me.

--

Awesome choice. Congratulations!

RC:
    noone1:
    Finally RC gets a cool car. Congrats. Are the stripes just wrapped?

Dealer added the stripes for fun because he thought this improves the somewhat boring exterior color.

Congrats! 

A white car with go-fast decals. Who would have thought Smiley 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:

Again, thanks guys.
    I know, I know...an Audi? Please do me the favor and drive one, you'll understand why. It surprised me as well!

Btw: I noticed that the laser headlights, the Magnetic Ride (adaptive chassis) and the sport exhaust are missing from the USA Audi R8 configurator. Strange...

The laser lights aren't legal in the US, and the FDA (which has jurisdiction because they are lasers) doesn't seem to be in a hurry to approve them, the last I read about this.

congrats RC on a very fine car.

welcome to the 'white' club indecision

however, in all honesty i think the black stripes are totally out of place on an audi r8......and from the opinion I have about you i also do not think they suit your 'character'....on an american muscle car yes, but not on the audi.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

bluelines:
    RC:
    noone1:
    Finally RC gets a cool car. Congrats. Are the stripes just wrapped?

Dealer added the stripes for fun because he thought this improves the somewhat boring exterior color.

Congrats! 

A white car with go-fast decals. Who would have thought Smiley 

Smiley No blue lines though... Smiley Smiley

To be honest: I think I'm going to remove them.They look OK on the front and roof but not so OK on the rear I'm afraid. They kind of destroy the look of the rear...I think. Smiley

14650421730255.jpg

--

apias:
    RC:

Again, thanks guys.

The laser lights aren't legal in the US, and the FDA (which has jurisdiction because they are lasers) doesn't seem to be in a hurry to approve them, the last I read about this.

This is very unfortunate. I had the chance to drive the car at night and the light is...how to put it...out of this world. Seriously! Completely new dimension of light and night visibility quality.

--

intouch1:

congrats RC on a very fine car.

welcome to the 'white' club indecision

however, in all honesty i think the black stripes are totally out of place on an audi r8......and from the opinion I have about you i also do not think they suit your 'character'....on an american muscle car yes, but not on the audi.

I'm afraid you're right with the stripes. They look better in real life than on the photos though but I don't like them in the rear of the car, that enormous carbon rear wing already takes a lot of attention and creates enough "disturbance" in the design, the stripes are just too much I think.

The car is not white but Suzuka grey, it is a "dirty" Smiley white which has slight nuances of grey in it if you look closely. It could be called matte white as well, difficult to describe it but for me, it is perfect because it is not a flashy color.

It was my only chance to get an "exotic" in Germany and now I can say it, the dealer is not only an Audi dealer but also a Lamborghini dealer. Smiley He also has a white Huracan I looked at but this car is just too much for my neighborhood and why should I lie, it is also a bit too much for my pockets. Although that Lamborghini costs basically the same (I think it is 2k EUR more expensive only), I couldn't afford it. Audi offers a much better deal, the dealer told me that for example on a lease, the Huracan would be basically DOUBLE the cost of the R8, although both having the same MSRP. Unbelievable. Smiley Smiley

--

i too think that audi is the german lamborghini. and between the 2 i would go for audi as well. you get the exotic character in a german package and it comes with a much higher social acceptance factor.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

i too think that audi is the german lamborghini. and between the 2 i would go for audi as well. you get the exotic character in a german package and it comes with a much higher social acceptance factor.

Smiley Also, it is cheaper (buy, maintenance, repairs, insurance), you have authorized Audi dealers almost in every little town in Germany, also many in Europe and ordinary people still don't view the R8 as a super sports car (I think).

Talking of insurance: It is half the insurance cost of a 991 GT3 RS in Germany. Smiley

The sound...this is just pure aural sex, it is unbelievable, I really suggest listening to it if you get the chance, absolutely amazing! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Forgot to mention an interesting fact, especially for GT3 RS owners, regarding my new R8 V10 Plus: The car reaches maximum power (610 hp) at exactly 8250 rpm, same as GT3 RS. Now imagine revving a V10 engine that high, the red line starts at 8850 rpm as far as I heard. Not bad for an Audi. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Well done for having maybe the last great NA engine!

Also I think you should ditch the stripes. Suzuka Grey is a lovely and rather sophisticated colour and the stripes just don't go with it

sevoman:

Also I think you should ditch the stripes. Suzuka Grey is a lovely and rather sophisticated colour and the stripes just don't go with it

Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    ance: It is half the insurance cost of a 991 GT3 RS in Germany. Smiley

The sound...this is just pure aural sex, it is unbelievable, I really suggest listening to it if you get the chance, absolutely amazing! Smiley

I really can understand you about the sound, it´s 50% of driving pleasure or even more Smiley. Just to fire that engine inside the garage everyday will make, not your day, but your LIFE better Smiley. You can have fun and pleasure driving the thing at 40kph and listen to sound, no need to go 300Kph Smiley You will rev it while driving with no special reason other than hear it.

Wise decison on the stripes Smiley, I would ditch the rear spoiler too, although I know it´s there for a reason. If you were in the sattes it wouldn´t make a difference but in Germany and for the kind of drive you have, well !!!! 

--

J.Seven

Congrats RC. A lease or a buy this time?

wantone:

Congrats RC. A lease or a buy this time?

Lease but for four years (a bit more expensive than three years but I want to avoid switching the cars earlier)...buying isn't worth it (seriously!). If I like the car, I can still buy it after the lease ends if I want to. Smiley  Why didn't I buy it? Lease offer is a tiny bit cheaper (couple of hundreds of EUR only though) because dealer gets a bonus for lease contracts but the main reason is the fact that my wife wants to buy the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab when my lease ends in two years, so no need to spend that much money on cars right now.

Interesting (same dealer): A Lamborghini Huracan for basically the same MSRP (2k more) would be DOUBLE the monthly lease rate at the same initial payment. Ouch. So my guess is that Audi kind of "sponsors" R8 sales and leases.

Wife is so fond of the RS6 Performance, she may actually get one next year when her Macan Turbo lease runs out. Smiley

Also interesting: We test-drove the new RS Q3, this thing is a little devil. Most impressive small SUV I ever drove, much better deal than the Macan Turbo in my opinion and costs 30k EUR less. Smiley 

--

J.Seven:
    I really can understand you about the sound, it´s 50% of driving pleasure or even more Smiley. Just to fire that engine inside the garage everyday will make, not your day, but your LIFE better Smiley. You can have fun and pleasure driving the thing at 40kph and listen to sound, no need to go 300Kph Smiley You will rev it while driving with no special reason other than hear it.

I had fun driving this car at 50-60 kph in the city...amazing sound. Smiley 

Wise decison on the stripes Smiley, I would ditch the rear spoiler too, although I know it´s there for a reason. If you were in the sattes it wouldn´t make a difference but in Germany and for the kind of drive you have, well !!!! 

The fixed rear wing is a mystery to me (the Huracan doesn't have one) but a friend said it kind of adds a little bit of pepper to a somewhat salt-less exterior, so maybe he is right. I like the design but it is a bit to (clinical) clean, which is especially obvious with lighter and neutral colors. I cannot remove it, it is part of the certification of the car (already asked if it can be switched for the automatic wing of the V10 non-Plus model) but the car has 610 hp and does 0-200 kph in under 10 seconds, so I guess that little wing is kind of acceptable. Smiley

The new R8 V10 Plus seems to do 0-300 kph in slightly over 28 seconds, around half a second faster than the Huracan. Of course it cannot compete with the new Ferrari 488 GTB (4 seconds faster) but the sound kind of compensates for the lack of performance in the upper speed range.

I also love the interior, it looks so 21st century and the virtual cockpit is amazing. More when I do my first longer drive... Smiley

--

unfortunately a lot of the above also reflects where porsche is heading....they are losing more and more of us to the competition.

there is not a single porsche at the moment where i feel it is a must have. having the gt2 in my garage neglects my need for another one. they have not upped the game enough recently. yes, they are great cars performance wise but maybe too focused on certain categories rather than addressing real emotion. except for the R that reflects what the 911 is about. but imo not with a manual gearbox.

--

I overlooked this discussion. Congrats, RC on the R8. It sounds the correct car for you and yours at this time. Looks awesome and I really love the R8 and RS's interiors too Smiley..

Enjoy...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

intouch1:

unfortunately a lot of the above also reflects where porsche is heading....they are losing more and more of us to the competition.

Very true. The R8 decision was a very emotional one and although I have access to basically all current Porsche models, the R8 has really awaken that "must have" feeling in me. I wish Porsche would offer such a car...I really don't understand why the R8 comes from Audi. Smiley Smiley

there is not a single porsche at the moment where i feel it is a must have. having the gt2 in my garage neglects my need for another one. they have not upped the game enough recently. yes, they are great cars performance wise but maybe too focused on certain categories rather than addressing real emotion. except for the R that reflects what the 911 is about. but imo not with a manual gearbox.

I was very interested in the 991 R...for a couple of days and then I realized that manual just isn't for me. Also, I already have the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab and the 991 R would have basically meant the same (exterior/interior) car with different tech. Still tempting but not enough to keep my "want have" feeling alive long enough. Same goes to the 991 GT3 RS. Wonderful car but I kind of wanted something more exotic and I always loved the idea of owning a Lamborghini. Ferrari never really tickled my senses, with the exception of the F12 and 458 Speciale maybe.

The Porsche 918 would have been a dream car of course but I really cannot afford one. Maybe Porsche should have given me one for free...I don't want to know how many customers they had because of Rennteam over the past decade or so. Smiley Smiley Smiley

The R8 is a dream come true...a Lamborghini Huracan...something I could never afford right now. I know that this may sound weird for some of you, especially those who own one Smiley but the R8 is the next best thing for me and I will try to enjoy every single day in this car. Smiley

--

Congrats Christian, it's a very cool car Smiley

I'm glad you didn't go for the old red Audi R8. The first one looks dated in my eyes. 

BTW, I'd sell then Macan and the jeep for an RS6. 

amazon:

Congrats Christian, it's a very cool car Smiley

I'm glad you didn't go for the old red Audi R8. The first one looks dated in my eyes. 

BTW, I'd sell then Macan and the jeep for an RS6. 

Thanks.

Macan and Jeep are leases and they run out next year.

Wife surprisingly likes the RS6 but there will be a new one in 2018, so it remains to be seen... Smiley The RS6 is a bit too big for her to drive around the city.

Btw: That red "old" R8 looked very nice but dealer (luckily Smiley) didn't want to go down further with the price. Now I got myself a super sportscar without actually wanting it (at first), so I guess I shouldn't complain. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774449 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440113 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261956 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260234 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84789 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879212 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813986 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM