Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos)

Just WOW.

I absolutely LOVE the active aero with all the different modes.  Downforce at 50 mph without running off the bump stops at 200.   WOW!

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Welcome in your New Year with the glorious sounds of a 4.0 Flat-Six Porsche Motorsport Engine in the championship winning Porsche 911 RSR at Sebring... Smiley

191F9C9F-DEB7-47B2-B036-F409A8E654F0.jpeg

“Say hello to 2020 with the trumpet of the gods.

In the first of a multi-part feature captured in collaboration with Porsche North America, we have in-car audio from the glorious Porsche 911 RSR to offer, taken from the tail of the championship-winning IMSA GT Le Mans machines during practice for the 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

Anticipating the arrival of the new 911 RSR with its side-mounted exhausts, we wanted to preserve the cry of the original 911 RSR, done by placing our recorder just above the screaming 4.0-liter flat-six engine's rear-facing exhaust fury. For this episode, you're riding with Nick Tandy, Patrick Pilet, and Fred Makowiecki in a race they'd go on to win!”

Link: https://marshallpruettpodcast.com/

...turn up the volume and enjoy the sound of Porsche Motorsport! Smiley

Wow!  Now that’s street and track presence.  

A Sunset (Boulevard) Porsche 911 Safari...

Matt Farah, ’87 3.2 Carrera, 2019, Porsche AG

Meet automotive journalist Matt Farah’s solution to urban travel...

(4 January 2020)

Not all city cars are born equal. Well, not according to world-renowned automotive journalist, Matt Farah. Shortly after moving out to the west coast of America from New York, Farah realised that the crumbling infrastructure in LA made his daily drive more like an expedition down a back-country trail than a traditional city commute. From the monstrous expansion joints on Interstate 405 to the cracked roads in downtown Venice Beach, only his Baja inspired pick-up truck was capable of smoothing out the various lumps and bumps. 

”Although we are blessed with places like the Angeles Forest and Malibu Canyons, two of the finest places on Earth to drive a sports car, the city itself is a nightmare,” Farah explains. “The infrastructure is crumbling, repairs are rarely thorough, the freeway expansion joints are a sports car owner’s worst nightmare, and for a city as ‘spread out’ as LA is, it’s awfully crowded all the time. It can be a real challenge in low, modern sports cars.” 

’87 3.2 Carrera, 2019, Porsche AG

Which is why his Raptor pick-up with its off-road suspension set-up and huge sidewalls was, as he puts it, a “gamechanger”. But of course, while Baja-inspired trucks ride well, they’re ultimately too unwieldly for tight city streets – even in car-friendly LA. So what was the solution? For Matt, the answer was easy: “I wanted something like the Raptor, but smaller, so the obvious answer was a rally car. Once I drove Leh Keen’s personal Safari 911, it was like a light bulb moment.” 

"For a city as ‘spread out’ as LA is, it’s awfully crowded all the time. It can be a real challenge in low, modern sports cars.”   —  Matt Farah

A two time Grand Am Rolex GT Champion and lifelong Porsche fanatic, Leh Keen has spent the last half a decade designing and building Safari 911 for people who want the ultimate go-anywhere vehicle. Matt, being a rather well-connected chap, got the opportunity to drive Leh’s first Safari build (that’s right, car No. 1) for his show on the /DRIVE network and although Matt admits the concept, “is totally different to what most people think you should be doing with a 911” he was sold. “I sent him a deposit check almost immediately afterwards.”

As part of what is known as ‘The Keen Project’, Leh is happy to either source a donor car for the customer (the base car must be a G-Body 911 from 1979 to 1989), or they find their own. Matt went with the latter option as he wanted to choose “the colour, the year and the interior.” 

For Matt, it was particularly important to have a 1987-1989 G-body with the G50 gearbox as “it has a more direct shift feel”, so he settled on an ’87 3.2 Carrera in striking Cassis Red; a rare and retro hue that he decided to preserve with an Xpel car wrap, rather than repaint – something the majority of buyers choose to do when moving to a rally spec. 

It was a decision Matt wasn’t sure about at first: “The colour was actually a bit of a controversy. I had originally planned to paint any car I found Dalmatian Blue, which is probably my favourite Porsche colour of all time. I was just looking for any clean coupe with a G50 gearbox and straight body. As luck would have it, the guy I bought the car from was not exactly Annie Leibovitz, and photographed the car at high noon, which makes Cassis Red look horrific; like Cyndi Lauper’s lip gloss. I was sort of down on the colour on Instagram and said I was going to paint it, which caused a bit of a ruckus with the purists. It was priced cheap and seemed to have nothing else wrong with it. When I got there to pick it up and saw that the colour was actually incredible, I decided immediately not to paint it. I frequently get ‘I told you so’ from the fans. Honestly, I’m gonna take some credit for the fact that Cassis Red is cool again.” 

After finding his unusually pristine donor car, it was shipped straight out to Keen in Atlanta for a new interior and the fitment of the Baja-inspired hardware. The parts list reads like a Tamiya brochure: bash bars, skid plates, rally light pods, shaved side door mirrors, tucked bumpers, Braid motorsport Fuchs wheels, Elephant Racing Safari suspension, a Quaife limited-slip differential and BF Goodrich K02 tyres – the same tyres, coincidentally, that are used on his pick-up truck. 

For the cabin, Matt opted for what he describes as an aggressive interior design: “Leh actually found the commercial grade LA city bus fabric and when I saw it, I was sold almost instantly. The car came with factory Burgundy full leather, and was in incredible condition, so we were able to retain the headliner, door uppers, dash upper, and base carpet. We were nervous if the bus fabric was going to work with the Burgundy leather, but it worked out. The hardest part was the matching leather MOMO Prototipo steering wheel; apparently it took the guy like 20 tries to make it work, and I had a temporary black steering wheel for like six months. But it’s basically the Pasha concept really turned up to crazy, and it’s also super functional because that fabric is designed to last 20 years in a bus; it’ll probably outlast the rest of the car”. 

After some engine work on its return, the car was ready for the road. The finished build couldn’t be further removed from what most drivers would consider to be a ‘city car’, but for Matt, it is perfect. “It is literally my daily driver. I recently loaded three bushels of firewood behind the rear seats. I mean – it’s not meant for attacking the canyons or going to the racetrack, it’s meant for going to the shops, driving to my office, running errands and then taking to the dirt for some fun. It really is the best parts of a Baja truck and the best parts of an air-cooled 911.” 

It seems city cars don’t have to boring. They just have to be fit for LA’s urban safari.

Matt Farah, ’87 3.2 Carrera, 2019, Porsche AG

Article Link: https://www.newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/sport-lifestyle/porsche-sunset-safari-matt-farah-87-3-2-carrera-19561.html

Matt Gets His Keen Project Safari 911! City First Drive!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTl4iK0AuVU

Smiley 

Hans Mezger: The creative spirit

Whether playing the piano, painting or constructing a racing engine – Hans Mezger's repertoire is wide-ranging, resulting in brilliant technical compositions.

(7 January 2020)

Hans Mezger, 911 Turbo, 1975, Porsche AG

“At Le Mans in 1969 we were a whole lot faster than the competition with the 917. If the transmission housing hadn't cracked, we would have won comfortably.” Hans Mezger on the first Le Mans outing of the still-fledgling 917.

Hans Mezger, Porsche AG

When a motorsport fan recalls a list of the outstanding designers of race cars and racing engines, not many names come up. However, one is always among them and for many fans and experts he is the top name: Hans Mezger, designer of the air-cooled six-cylinder boxer engine of the Porsche 911, overall designer of the 917 and its V12 with a 180 degree bank angle, and creator of the TAG Turbo Formula One engine. Hans Mezger and his portfolio of work have long since become legendary. But first things first. Hans Mezger was born on November 18, 1929 in Ottmarsheim, a small village near Ludwigsburg on the outskirts of Stuttgart. The youngest of five children, his parents ran a country inn.

Art and culture were very important to the Mezger household. “Almost everyone in our family had a talent for painting and played a musical instrument," says Mezger, looking back on his childhood and youth. "I found life exciting and attended elementary school. I was interested in becoming all kinds of things, from a musician to a physicist.”  Aeroplanes and flying also fascinated the young Hans from an early age, and he occasionally undertook a trip to Kirchheim/Teck with a group of gliding enthusiasts from his neighbourhood, where he would watch the bungee launches of the school’s glider, the SG-38, with fascination. “I really wanted to fly myself, but I was still too young then,” he remembers.

Peter Falk, Hans Mezger, Helmuth Bott, Rolf Stommelen, Huschke von Hanstein, Joe Buzzetta, Hans Herrmann, Vic Elford, Gerhard Mitter, Daytona, 1968, Porsche AG

Daytona 1968: Peter Falk, Hans Mezger, Helmuth Bott, Rolf Stommelen, Huschke von Hanstein, Joe Buzzetta, Hans Herrmann, Vic Elford and Gerhard Mitter.  

“Maybe it was the champagne, but we had a lively discussion about whether the Porsche engine or the McLaren chassis had won the first Grand Prix. We joked and found that the word ‘Engineer’ was after all derived from ‘Engine’.” Hans Mezger on the first victory of the McLaren TAG Turbo in Rio de Janeiro 1984. 

Hans Hönick, Hans Mezger, Eberhard Storz, Helmut Heim, Rolf Schrag, 1960, Porsche AG

Hans Mezger: (second from left) In 1960 with the first Porsche 753 Formula One engine and his colleagues Hans Hönick (above the engine), Eberhard Storz, Helmut Heim and Rolf Schrag. 

His graduation in 1956 was accompanied by a veritable flood of job offers. “There were 28," he says, "but Porsche was not one of them. But I wanted to join Porsche, because the Type 356 sports car inspired me. So I applied, was invited, and the company offered me a job in tractor development. But I envisioned working on sports and race cars. Fortunately, that worked out in the end, and I started in the calculation department at Porsche.”

First drive of the TAG Turbo in the McLaren chassis, 1982, Porsche AG

Hans Mezger (on the right by the car wearing a white shirt) when John Watson first drove the TAG Turbo in the McLaren chassis on June 29, 1982

Things then happened one after the other, so to speak. Hans Mezger gained his first experience with the four-camshaft engine, developed a formula for calculating cam profiles and became part of Porsche’s first Formula One project in 1960. He was involved in the development of the 1.5-litre eight-cylinder Type 753 as well as the corresponding chassis of the 804. “The company was still so small at that time, there was quite a lot of overlapping work and the staff working on the engines sometimes also worked on the chassis,” says the 89-year-old.

Hans Mezger, Peter Falk, Ferry Porsche, l-r, 1962, Porsche AG

Ferry Porsche (right) became a role model for Hans Mezger. Here he is depicted together with Peter Falk (middle) at the Solitude in 1962.

Then came the world-famous 'Mezger engine' for the 901 and 911 and, in 1965, the promotion to head of the racing development department created by Ferdinand Piëch. This department was the key to a new quality and dynamism in motorsport for Porsche. It was an exciting, wild time in the mid-1960s. "Sometimes we also worked around the clock," Mezger says. "For example, when the so-called Ollon-Villars-Spyder was created in just 24 days in 1965." With its construction of a tubular frame and fibreglass body, it became the blueprint for all the race cars that were built in the years to follow.

Porsche also relied on this design principle for the development of the 917 in 1968. With the 917, the first overall victory for Porsche at Le Mans was now finally possible, and once again Ferdinand Piëch relied on the skilfulness of Hans Mezger, who took over the overall construction of the vehicle and its 12-cylinder engine. In 1970 and 1971, the 917 dominated at Le Mans and the World Sportscar Championship; in 1972 and 1973, the 917/10 and 917/30 showed the way in the CanAm series thanks to turbocharging –  technology that Mezger and his team brought to series production in 1974 in the form of the 911 Turbo.

Niki Lauda, Hans Mezger, l-r, 1984, Porsche AG

Niki Lauda translated Hans Mezger’s TAG Turbo design into victory in the Formula One World Championship in 1984. McLaren and the Porsche engine won 12 out of 16 races at the time and Lauda became World Champion by just half a point ahead of his teammate Alain Prost.

Many other victorious developments followed: for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the World Sportscar Championship and the US Indy series. But perhaps the most outstanding project took off in 1981 when Ron Dennis and his McLaren racing team set out in search of a powerful turbo engine. In the end, Porsche was chosen and the decision was made to design and build a completely new engine, as well as to provide on-site support during the races. Again, Hans Mezger was the creative mastermind behind the 1.5-litre, V6 engine with an 80 degree bank angle, which would produce more than 1,000 PS later in the race. In 1984, Niki Lauda became world champion with this, and again in 1985, followed in 1986 by Alain Prost. The team also won the two Constructors’ World Championships in 1984 and 1985. “This was a tremendous success and, at the same time, the most important development contract for Porsche from an external company,” adds Mezger, who retired in 1993 and is still closely associated with Porsche today.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/history/porsche-911-hans-mezger-creative-spirit-18921.html

Smiley

A few interesting comments from Michael Mauer... Smiley

Michael Mauer, Head of Design at Porsche

8D5863EC-51F6-492B-A522-83298ADEBBF9.jpeg

Most Porsche love affairs start with an awesome drive. This one, with a pencil and a piece of paper. Ever since Michael Mauer was a young boy, he knew he wanted to draw cars. Well, Porsches really.

Which he eventually managed. And more. After his car design studies in Pforzheim, Mauer immediately secured a job at Mercedes. He contributed to several models – including the A-Class and SLK – became head of design at Smart and then moved to Saab in Sweden. Things could not get any better after he was hired as Porsche’s design director in 2004. Except they did. In 2016, Michael was promoted to lead the design activities of the entire VW group, alongside his task at Porsche.

The job would be too vast for one man. But not for Mauer. He’s as charming as the loveliest Smart, as dedicated as the weirdest Saab, as comforting as the biggest Mercedes, yet as focused as the wildest Porsche RS.

‘Being a car designer is the world’s nicest profession for car nuts like us. Working at Porsche is even better. But designing a 911 RS? That’s the ultimate level of excitement. It’s the one assignment my entire team fights for. I never have to ask them for proposals for an RS. The guys in the studio spontaneously do it. That’s one reason why we don’t employ special designers for RS models. It would be too demotivating for all others.’

Mauer proudly shows the current 991 GT3 RS in the Kesselhaus in Munich’s Motorworld. Once an industrial boiler room, it is now a concert hall and fancy gathering place. And an inspiration, apparently.

‘Everything is for a creative mind. I just love how such old buildings come back to life by combining new and vintage elements. It’s fascinating to decide what’s worth keeping and what needs to be rebuilt.’ Like with the design of a new 911, almost.

‘Porsche’s design philosophy is clearly based on the past, and our approach is more evolutionary compared to other carmakers. Our history is even more important for hard-core models like GT3 and GT3 RS. During the design process, we always park all previous RS models in the studio, although we absolutely want to avoid ending up with a sort of replica.

We already finished the design of the Porsche 992 – the successor to the current 991 – and just started on the 992 GT3 and GT3 RS. It’s a bit early to say, but we might stretch their look a little further than usual. While defining the base 911, we already have the sporty spin-offs in mind. If we change the proportions of the 911 – as has happened with the 991 – we immediately take into account that the Turbo will be even wider. Knowing that the GT3 and GT3 RS will probably use the side panels of the Turbo, we also leave enough space for added wings, front and back. Sometimes, we have a very exciting idea for a bumper, but judge it as too much for the base model. We then let it digest for a while, and after a few months consider it again for the Turbo or the RS.’

Because each RS is highly influenced by engineering, the design process is quite different compared to a “normal” Porsche, if such an animal exists in the first place.

‘Everybody in this industry loves to talk about “agile teams” and “agile development”. But the way our design team and Andreas Preuninger’s racing division collaborate for an RS really creates a special momentum. His squad doesn’t do anything according to official processes. They just test on the track, where the driver gives direct feedback to the engineer, who straight-away talks to the designer. Because these procedures differ totally from how a regular production car comes together, the designers are over the moon with excitement and utterly motivated to find the best result.’

What could be a clash of egos turns out to be an alliance with nothing but winners. ‘For the limited edition of the 997 4.0 RS with 500bhp, Porsche immediately understood it needed extra downforce. The bigger rear wing and the small front deflectors wouldn’t be a designer’s natural solution. But I like it a lot that such projects show a certain roughness around the edges, which wouldn’t be accepted on any other 911. And then it turns out they have an aesthetic value of their own.’

Today’s GT3 RS is asphalt grey with yellow calipers, Mauer’s absolute favourite combination.

‘It’s so tasteful, if only because the contrast with the black parts isn’t as outspoken. Looking at how the front spoiler moves into the fender on this latest RS, there’s a disconnection with a little offset because the fenders are wider. No designer would ever start like this. But it happened for reasons of efficiency, and it gives the car a nice touch of brutality. The extra opening above the front wheels for additional downforce would never be proposed by our studio from the beginning, either. However, by collaborating and searching for a solution which works well for design and engineering, we come much closer to the old axiom of “form follows function”.’

Mauer is a designer. He obviously prefers simplicity. ‘I’m very much into pure and reduced shapes. While we more or less managed to integrate the rear spoiler into the design on a GT3, that’s a no-go for an RS. These are totally driven by ultimate track performance. It’s nice that the rear wing on a GT3 is quite organic as a shape, but I love the race aesthetics of the wing on the 997 GT3 4.0 RS. It’s less stylish and more functional.’

And then there’s the 911 R, the apple of Mauer’s eye. ‘When I bought a GT3 for myself, I had a coffee with Andreas Preuninger from the special division and told him I dreamt of making a sort of “sleeper”, by removing all the spoilers and added aerodynamics from a GT3. The end result would seem to be a normal 911, while it’s anything but. It’s kind of cool when nobody sees how exceptional it is, apart from a few experts who can spot the different exhausts or whatever. Andreas had already been chewing on such a concept ... the idea had touched a sweet spot. Considering they were dreaming of reviving the R in one way or another, while our design department produces free proposals yearly – like a GT3 convertible and a spoiler-less GT3 – a common brainstorm eventually led to the R.’

Mauer is very happy with it. Yet, at the same time, he’s not. ‘Sadly, I couldn’t get hold of one, whereas it’s absolutely my kind of car. If you take away the stripes, 90 percent of onlookers will not recognise it. The R also has a manual gearbox, which I prefer on public roads. On a track, I’d rather have the PDK, though. I’m not a world champion-type driver, and the PDK just makes me feel better about the level of my skills.’

Since Mauer has the world’s best job, he’s parked a few Porsches in his private garage.

‘I bought a 997 GT3 because it was the first Porsche designed under my responsibility. When I joined the company, the base model, convertible and turbo versions of the 997 had been done, and we initiated the work on the GT3 and GT3 RS. To me, the division between GT3 and GT3 RS makes a lot of sense. The differentiation is quite big, which creates a nice offer for our customers. It’s clear what each of them stands for. I prefer the GT3 on public roads, but I clearly fancy the GT3 RS on the track. If we’re not talking about track performance, the 997 GT3 is my pick, if only because it’s smaller. Which obviously was our aim for the 992. Not saying it will actually be more compact, but it will certainly seem less big.’

Because no man of good taste can ever own enough 911s, Mauer also enjoys himself after working hours with a very special one.

‘I’m building a 964 convertible with an RS flavour, slightly commemorating the idea of the first Speedster. It’s a 911 that has never existed. It’s totally understated and a bit rough, just like an outlaw.’ It’ll be his Sunday morning partner.

‘I love old cars. They feel fast at reasonable speeds. I bought a 1984 G-model but quickly realised it was too old for me. The 964 offers the perfect compromise. It’s modern yet looks like the old one. It’s my favourite design.’

Mauer is as friendly as a boy scout, but his humour can be a little rough around the edges. It might well be his refined way of saying things, if the bare truth hurts too much. After all, he’s the world’s most important car designer, since he has so many brands under his responsibility.

‘I don’t feel like that at all, however, and my task differs considerably from what my predecessor, Walter de’ Silva, had to do. While he influenced each individual car of the entire group, my job is more strategic. Our CEO, Matthias Müller, leads this concern in another way and gives a lot of confidence to the management of each brand. I apply the same strategy for design. I just overlook it, search for synergies and coordinate everything. And I interfere – or help – if one brand doesn’t evolve in the right direction.

I also provide the design philosophy we established at Porsche, since it’s so highly valued by our management.

Every six weeks, all our brands propose their novelties at big design reviews. Although they might have to go back and change the design if I don’t like it, I still see my job mostly as assisting my colleagues, and supporting them against the finance or marketing departments. I also communicate constantly. In a creative business, it helps a lot if you talk to each other. So I organise days for the design chiefs, just to discuss whatever what in a relaxed atmosphere. I don’t believe so much in harsh competition. I prefer to inspire.’

...thanks and all due credit to Michael Mauer at Porsche! Smiley

Porsche TV Commercial for Super Bowl 2020: “The Heist”  1554541446878image.gif

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92sXWVxRr0g

Smiley

Fun ad. 

any one noticed kind of 992 in the background where the guy enters the RS? indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

New Porsche 992 GT3...  1554541446878image.gif

FAA5E2A5-D60E-432A-B5AF-11AE46FA1A74.jpeg

50BA102F-C8FB-4C63-AC53-7DEB22FF5C53.jpeg

6737C568-6535-4449-ADEE-2AB4C017D6DA.jpeg

D51119CB-65A1-4591-AC06-CE484C4C5881.jpeg

BB4E3DCC-3144-4026-B307-451718D3D699.jpeg

7AE0D2CA-8971-4FAC-8122-A27D4646A5CD.jpeg

BAFC33DE-C761-4108-B4DF-3181E0C478AC.jpeg

D0AA10DD-CCF1-4C59-94C8-E43F7B977173.jpeg

D198EA3A-1329-4893-89EC-7BCA4A2ED184.jpeg

946D6EE0-3093-47D6-9BF8-FCC0FD4FDAA4.jpeg

...coming soon! Smiley

Does anyone know the racing / stunt drivers who drove the cars in the streets, or were they Rennteamers?! ;)

Well spotted!

boytronic:

Does anyone know the racing / stunt drivers who drove the cars in the streets, or were they Rennteamers?! ;)

You didn't recognize the Rennteam moderators? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    boytronic:

You didn't recognize the Rennteam moderators? Smiley Smiley

Well, I’m certain I saw Whoopsy on the tractor ;)

Will Smith seems to like the Taycan...

https://youtu.be/HvS8CBfDl4s

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche TV Commercial for Super Bowl 2020: “The Heist”  1554541446878image.gif

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92sXWVxRr0g

Smiley

Porsche TV Commercial for Super Bowl 2020: “The Heist” — Behind The Scenes... 1554541446878image.gif

Video Link 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqbHadXLnk

Smiley

thanks!

“Incredibly modern”

The design of the Porsche 914 was so groundbreaking, yet was very much derived from the history of the brand – Michael Mauer explains.

01/27/2020

Michael Mauer, Head of Style Porsche, 2020, Porsche AG

The idea came from Porsche. Ferry Porsche wanted an entry-level Porsche that would give young drivers inexpensive access to the world of Porsche. This alone makes the 914 a typical Porsche. Because he was trying something new. Because the heart of the car, the engine, is mid-mounted. And because the form follows the function. The 914 is typically Porsche, even though it doesn’t look like it at first glance. But the first known design draft quotes a Porsche that could hardly be more typical and steeped in history – the 550 Spyder.

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche and his team were responsible for the design of the 914. The final design implemented for the series was developed by Heinrich Klie, one of his most important staff members. A man trusted by Ferry Porsche’s eldest son when he took over responsibility for design at his father’s company. Although the actual start of development dates back to August 1966, the Porsche AG Historical Archive contains older drafts, titled: “914, Model 1, August 1964, design: Klie”. He describes the development of the car throughout its lifetime as an iterative process in which the management largely gave the designers free rein. Changes were only discussed after the presentations of the 1:5 scale models. For Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, the way forward was clear: “The 914 was always a completely independent design which was also a formal success.”

Michael Mauer has been responsible for Porsche design since 2004, making him only the third Head of Design after Ferdinand Alexander Porsche. Here, he talks about the proximity of the first draft to the 550 Spyder role model, the design process then and now, and the development of the Porsche brand identity.

Time for history: Michael Mauer has immersed himself in the history of the 914. Surprisingly, there are still a lot of relics from the early days of this project that are also the source of great interest for this designer and Porsche fan.

Michael Mauer: The influence of the 550 Spyder is clear in the Model 1 dating back to 1964. I immediately wondered about the specifications, the basic orientation. For an entry-level Porsche, the 912 concept – a four-cylinder 911 – could have been developed further. So why did they go back to the mid-engined concept? The inspiration of the 550 is obvious. As a designer, I understand this. Because the car was also the smallest of the choices, the most agile. Minimalist, puristic. Using this as a starting point, as a beginning for development of a new model, as inspiration, is logical.

From the 550 concept to the 914. An evolution that resulted in a new, independent model in 1969?

For me, on closer inspection, this isn’t even so much a formal evolution. The models make it clear that the 914 actually had no real predecessor. The various drafts, some of which are very different, literally show the search for a concept around the theme of the 550. This was high-tech in its day, certainly a real racing car. The idea of building a small mid-engined car again came naturally. That’s how you orient yourself.

The first draft in 1964 was followed by the Model 2, which went in a completely different direction. It was actually a lot more elegant, a lot less sporty. This reminds me of many things, but not necessarily of the “small, sporty, puristic” theme. This – in my opinion – relatively strong difference shows that the search was open-ended at the time. With the five models from 1964 to 1967, the design process of the 914 shows exactly this search for a new series alongside the 911. The basic package was established, but the formal characteristics were still enormously different initially. In chronological order, we started with “something like the 550”, then the discussion obviously headed in a different direction.

“Brand identity comes about by following functionalities.” - Michael Mauer, Head of Style Porsche

From the successor to the 550 for the 1970s to a draft that actually looks quite different?

Quite different! This is already apparent in the second draft, which I find sensational. This one looks almost American-inspired. The fourth model isn’t really modern at all, and then we come to this one (note: the Model 5, Klie). The back in particular is very modern for that time and the point in the sequence. It looks clean, neat. That fits the bill. That’s why I’m surprised that the May 1966 draft (note: the Model 2) was also created by F. A. Porsche, because it doesn’t really fit with his design philosophy. If we look at the first model from 1964 and compare it with the development two years later, it doesn’t have the characteristics or appeal of the basic 550 concept at all. The result is comparable with the development from the 356 to the 911. That was an incredibly courageous step back then – the new model had that modern factor. The 914 Model 3 is just starting to get precisely that modern factor. Even if you look at these front lines, these clear surfaces. Good proportions. The July 1966 draft is quite different, and more suitable for the Model 2. Two competing drafts which were then discussed. At that time, in my opinion, they made absolutely the right decision and went for the much more modern design.

The first drafts are clearly different, then one builds on the other, and the others are created by two different designers at the same time.

Designers who ultimately end up working on the same project talk to one another. To compare it with what we’re doing today, this phase is similar to the development of the Panamera. At that time, we knew what we wanted, the concept was there, and we basically came up with two variants. One like this, the other like that. And as you can see from the 914 models, people work side by side. They inspire one another, they influence one another in their work. You end up looking across the room, and thinking yeah, I like that. And you incorporate it.

Admiration and distance: Mauer makes no secret of the fact that, from a designer’s point of view, the 914 is not one of his favourites. And yet he admires its purist approach.

The 914 of 1969 is a real mid-engined Porsche. Even though it looks very different to the 911. Are elements such as the Targa bar a way of formally demonstrating a common family bond?

A mid-engined sports car is indeed a typically Porsche thing. At the time of the Auto Union, the competition still began with a front-mounted engine, and Porsche developed the first mid-engined racing cars. The 356 “No.1” Roadster is a mid-engined car, too. This had to be changed in favour of mass production capability. Given this background, Ferry Porsche’s idea is understandable – okay, let’s make another of those robust entry-level models. The mid-engine is the right concept for things like that. The Targa was created as a solution for the safety issues and the new regulations from the US. Actually, a minimal roof is really all you can have with an open, reduced, minimalist concept familiar from the 550, or perhaps the Speedster as well. But if the new legislation no longer allowed this, the way forward was clear for the 914. We ourselves had already come up with a good solution for combining top-down driving and safety – the Targa bar. After all, the concept was to combine the idea of “top-down” and “safety”, and now we had to make it modern! The final design is characteristic of the styling philosophy under the direction of Ferdinand Alexander Porsche. This common ground almost automatically led to the creation of a brand identity. Although that certainly wasn’t the actual intention.

Does the concept set the course for the design?

That’s how I see Porsche to this very day. First, we ask ourselves – what would be the best concept? Entry-level, reduced, sporty. When it comes down to it, what do I really need if I’m going to have fun driving? A mid-engined car, obviously. And then transferring the formal characteristics is a logical next step. To create a car with particularly attractive proportions on account of the engine position. The 914 has typical mid-engine proportions, that has to be said. I don’t know whether there was anything comparable, especially not in those days.

A question about the schedule: the first model dates back to 1964, but the 914 wasn’t available on the market until 1969. Is that fast? What’s the situation today?

With the new 911, which we presented at the end of 2018, it took about four years from the very first sketch to market launch. In this case (note: the Type 992) this is a further development, not a completely new development. But the 914 was. It started in around 1964 and market launch was in 1969, so five years. That’s pretty impressive! Things went incredibly quickly, especially between 1967 and 1969. That’s really shifting some.

Details such as the front, especially the headlights, were the subject of long discussions. Twin headlights or single headlights, that was the question. The version with the pop-up twin headlights was formally the more coherent. Especially if we remember what things were like in those days. Such concepts in 1965, 1967 – crazy. From my point of view, the question of philosophy is an interesting one. The 911 had the single round headlights, but the cheaper car was supposed to have twin headlights? That wasn’t logical. But the drafts were already state-of-the-art.

“The final design is characteristic of the styling philosophy under the direction of Ferdinand Alexander Porsche.” -  Michael Mauer

After testing a series of design variants, the 914 turned up with lifted wings and striking indicators.

That fitted in with Porsche’s guiding edge philosophy. This describes the orientation available to the driver thanks to the wings in the outer area, where the car is straight. At Porsche, this theme comes from the 911.

If you’re on a mountain pass in a 911, it’s a real help. In lots of other sports cars, all you can see is the window, not where your car ends. These distinctive wings provide orientation when you’re sitting in the car. This is implemented in the 914, too. I don’t know whether the issue of brand identity, what we now call “movement over the bonnet”, was already playing a role at this point. Probably not. Conversely, a few years ago the Panamera wasn’t about forming a guiding edge, but about transferring the brand identity. In this case, the one that has established itself over the 911, on a vehicle designed for a completely different segment. As difficult as this is when the engine is at the front, it was clearly a stylistic element with the aim of transferring the brand identity.

Type 914, model 5, final design, 2020, Porsche AG

The shapes of the side line and rear were finalised more quickly than the front. There was a great deal of discussion on the arrangement of the headlights. But the concept of individual pop-up headlights with spotlights in the bumper ultimately prevailed.

The 914 has an astonishingly good cd value of 0.37. Even with the headlights popped up, and with no complex computer simulations. Does today’s technology limit human design influence?

Despite all the simulation and modern technologies, I believe our creativity isn’t limited. Just like things were in the 1960s. The lads in those days did of course have a basic understanding of things like what works well aerodynamically and what doesn’t. Today, we know that having indentations in front of the wheels and strong indentations at the back is the worst thing when it comes to the aerodynamics. If you look at the brutally straight layout of the 914, it’s the answer to the search for an extremely modern shape. In that case, it’s likely that the aerodynamics worked quite wonderfully from the aspiration to make a very modern car. Surely the result was no coincidence – there were enough people at the company who knew right from the outset exactly what works and what doesn’t. And without today’s simulation methods, too.

In the old days, engineers were designers as well. How many technicians does a designer have to be today?

You have to have a basic understanding. If you want to achieve certain things, you can’t do that without a basic knowledge of what you’re doing. Because without that, we wouldn’t be able to argue against the classic technicians if there was any doubt.

What are your own personal thoughts on the shape of the 914? 

I still find the car whimsical, but the picture changes as you look at it more closely. I haven’t really been intensively involved with the 914 to date. From what we’ve been saying over the past hour and the fact that I was aware when it came into being, I’ve come back to the point where I think the car was modern.

“The brutally straight layout of the 914 is the answer to the search for an extremely modern shape.” Michael Mauer

It’s impressive to see how the car stands out in its era. It wasn’t even on my radar before. The car has almost no layout, this middle bit is extremely consistent. To have the courage to design something like this, so big but without a swage line, without fashioning everything – that’s really fantastic. I think the tail is really good. The process up to that point is fascinating from today’s point of view, too. I must confess, I’m still a bit reluctant when it comes to this car, but for me the performance of the time outweighs everything. Coming up with something like that. And there’s the detailed solutions, too: the wide headlights are superb. Or the door handles, minimalistically integrated. Completely new for Porsche. I find it fascinating how F. A. and his team managed to bring in this modern, reduced style, in a similar way to the transition from the 356 to the 911. The more I work with the 914 – that’s exactly what I’m fighting for now. This reduced, puristic approach. Integrating things, not one line too many.

Typically Porsche: Michael Mauer remembers the 356 “No. 1” Roadster, which founded the Porsche brand with its mid-engine. The 914 took up this philosophy again.

Is there a future for the 914? Or does it at least provide inspiration?

We have this discussion all the time. It’s all about the entry-level Porsche. I think it’s very interesting, but opinions differ on the characteristics of a vehicle like that. Porsche is probably the only brand that could allow this in an unusual way. An entry-level Porsche not in terms of the price, but the sense of reduction. A car with almost no electrics, everything mechanical, puristic. I find the idea exciting. The other one is a car for a target group of people who drive Audi TT RSs or Golf R32s. A Porsche that stands out offering what would have to express exactly that, in formal terms – a very simple, unpretentious car. A modern 550 in the broadest sense. Limits in terms of dimensions are reached quickly, simply because of driving safety. This automatically requires cars to be a certain size. Sales might see things differently anyway. From this standpoint, a much cheaper entry-level Porsche would be the right thing to do – but that’s not my approach. Puristic, reduced, “back to our roots”. I think the time has come. That would be typically Porsche again.

Link: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/history/porsche-klassik-interview-michael-mauer-design-porsche-914-19743.html

Smiley

A modern and light 914 version with that failed 4-cyl. turbo engine from the Cayman/Boxster would be a great idea.

Let's say for a 50k base price as some sort of entry model, no need for PDK or BOSE or extensive leather or whatever. Just a simple driver's car with a (manually) removable top and (somewhat) low weight.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

A modern and light 914 version with that failed 4-cyl. turbo engine from the Cayman/Boxster would be a great idea.

Let's say for a 50k base price as some sort of entry model, no need for PDK or BOSE or extensive leather or whatever. Just a simple driver's car with a (manually) removable top and (somewhat) low weight.

"A modern and light 914 version" are the Cayman / Boxster models already Smiley - just saying - due to our safety and whatever regulations - I guess nowadays, a car around 1500 kg should be regarded as "light" …. but, I agree, no pdk (around 40 kg)  would alone contribute a lot to this concept … hmmm, quite a dilemma as I do like the pdk ….

d997h:
    RC:

"A modern and light 914 version" are the Cayman / Boxster models already Smiley - just saying - due to our safety and whatever regulations - I guess nowadays, a car around 1500 kg should be regarded as "light" …. but, I agree, no pdk (around 40 kg)  would alone contribute a lot to this concept … hmmm, quite a dilemma as I do like the pdk ….

I was referring to something in the 1200 kg range...very little dampening material, almost no comfort stuff. Not sure there is money in such a car for Porsche though but it would certainly be an interesting product.

--

There is no room for a modern 914.  Look at the Lotus, Alfa 4C and the Alpine.  All great drivers cars, but here all we hear is they need more power.  More power leads to bigger brakes, bigger wheels, heavier suspension.  That all costs more so suddenly you expect leather, then the option for deviated stitching, a nice stereo, auto wipers, etc.  That pretty much describes a Cayman or a Z4.  The purist version exists and is called Miata.  How many does Mazda sell?  How many could they sell at Porsche pricing levels?

waiting for PDK:

There is no room for a modern 914.  Look at the Lotus, Alfa 4C and the Alpine.  All great drivers cars, but here all we hear is they need more power.  More power leads to bigger brakes, bigger wheels, heavier suspension.  That all costs more so suddenly you expect leather, then the option for deviated stitching, a nice stereo, auto wipers, etc.  That pretty much describes a Cayman or a Z4.  The purist version exists and is called Miata.  How many does Mazda sell?  How many could they sell at Porsche pricing levels?

A Miata is not 50k and it has way too much comfort stuff. Smiley

Z4? The top version is heavier than my Huracan Performante. Smiley Actually I think that even the entry level model is heavier. Smiley

--

waiting for PDK:

That’s a very myopic view of the world.  Most Porsche Boxster/Cayman sales are in China these days and that represents a still growing market.  When the Boxster first was launched, Porsche touted its pricing as being affordable by the college graduate a few years out from matriculation.  The Boxster and Cayman have moved beyond that original pricing goal, so that creates an open market for a lower cost car.  This also means that Porsche can return the Boxster and Cayman to six cylinder motors and price them accordingly.  

CGX car nut:
    waiting for PDK:

That’s a very myopic view of the world.  Most Porsche Boxster/Cayman sales are in China these days and that represents a still growing market.  When the Boxster first was launched, Porsche touted its pricing as being affordable by the college graduate a few years out from matriculation.  The Boxster and Cayman have moved beyond that original pricing goal, so that creates an open market for a lower cost car.  This also means that Porsche can return the Boxster and Cayman to six cylinder motors and price them accordingly.  

I don't follow the myopic comment as I'm questioning the worldwide viability of a Porsche model under the 718.  Such a 914 successor would have less power and be lighter and cheaper.  Those three are incompatible, especially within the marketing framework which Porsche finds itself constrained.

China consuming the majority the 718 sales is a red herring.  In 2018, Porsche sold 24,750, of which 5,275 went to the US and 5,882 went to China.  [Sorry, I can't find 2019 data.]  China might be the biggest single market, but it is not the majority of sales.

Rennteam members catch up over coffee at Porsche 2020 Ice Race...  1554541446878image.gif   

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttch8LY0lWQ

Smiley

Cool. 

Dear Andreas Preuninger and Frank Walliser! Smiley

Please can you put me on the Rennteam member waiting list for the Porsche 992 Carrera 4.2 RSR...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

C4963C60-C2E3-4B01-9F7F-0D293E68C8D2.jpeg

Let us know when you can take a deposit!   CC728175-19EB-4A81-8294-9590C8A82363.gif

Many thanks! Smiley

It looks good, but it will need a much bigger wing indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

That's the Touring version... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Gnil:

That's the Touring version... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Nah, it's called the ED version, there will be a Viagra version still. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM