Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT Thread Closed

Gnil:

I see lot's of new RS6 around here , much more then the older RS6 .  This car seems to be the new ' must have ' monster in this part of the world .  It does look good, I must admit .

You are looking at two very different cars . Do you need a new family car ( the the RS6 will probably give more pleasure then the Panamera, Macan, even Cayenne Turbo )  or do you need/want a week end toy ? 

I don't actually need any of them to be honest but I want them both. Smiley Smiley

I test-drove the RS6 Performance...it is so much fun to drive and it sounds so good. I was afraid it would feel like the Panamera Turbo S I had but maybe Porsche should take lessons with Audi how to build a fun family beast. Smiley

The R8 is a real joy, I am so surprised. I loved how it drove last year but I wasn't really paying too much attention because the test-drive was next to a Huracan and this was actually the car I paid more attention to. 

Now that I had the R8 up and close for almost half an hour or so, I really fell in love with the car. Also had one in front of me on our way to Italy and every time he accelerated, we heard it inside our Macan Turbo and it was pretty loud. Amazing sound!

So yes, I want both but... Smiley

P.S.: Did I mention that the dealer would be OK with ABT tuning to 705 hp for the RS6 Performance (605 hp)? It costs almost 10k EUR but my Audi dealer would still honor the warranty (through ABT...it is a bit complicated but basically, the dealer allows the tuning and ABT takes over the warranty from Audi, everything 100% official and legal). Top speed 320 kph (the regular RS6 Performance I would get has the Dynamic Plus package with a Vmax of 305 kph).

Also maybe worth considering: According to my Audi dealer, the current R8 V10 Plus will be the last n/a R8 from Audi. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

KresoF1:

First response... Take both.

Little bit of thinking... Get R8.

Further thinking... Both.

I know...tough decision. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Do I need any of these cars? Well, the R8 would replace the GT500 as a weekend fun car. The RS6 would replace the Jeep as a family car. So both cars make somehow sense but I do not really need them. I like both though but like I said, the R8 would be my favorite since this is the closest I will get to a Lamborghini for the next couple of years. The RS6 however is a very nice family commuter and I would really enjoy it. Maybe I should take both(dealer would make an even better price for both)? Smiley Nahh...I'm not that crazy (and wealthy).

My initial thought was that two of the cars you dumped fastest was your panamera and your E63. I know the E63 was partly because of traction but if I remember right you said that you felt this was an old mans cars, despite of the power etc. The Panamera I seem to remember you has similar comments about and you mentioned no more power sedans. So you need to ask yourself why this sedan would be the one ?? I also do not see the RS6 replace your Jeep, unless if the RS6 is a station wagon which you have also mentioned several times is a no go.

When it comes to the R8 replacing the Mustang, it makes a lot more sense, though I would have imagined you in a GT3 now that rear seats apparently isn't an issue. All that being said you need to ask yourself if the R8 can replace the Mustang on the parameters you really want it to.

RC:

Today, I had to take a look at the AMG GT...again...to make sure I really don't (or maybe do) like this car.

No, I just can't get used to it and I wouldn't be happy with it, so I scratched this off my (imaginary) buying list. The offer from the dealer was quite OK, basically a new car (800 km) for acceptable money but I just couldn't do it. This car is not me.

Now I'm back to Audi...and this time, it is the RS6 Performance or the new(!) R8 V10 Plus. My Audi dealer made me an offer I cannot refuse (for both!), so now I'm not sure what I should do.

I always wanted a Lamborghini and the new R8 V10 Plus is basically a Huracan in Audi disguise.

I cannot talk precise numbers here, the Audi dealer is a customer (I didn't know that until last week) and he offered me two of his testcars (right now they barely have 500 km...) at a very special price (lease, financing, buying, whatever I want) because he wants me as a new customer and he is a high volume dealer. Just as a hint: The R8 had a MSRP of 210k EUR, now it is 170k EUR... Smiley Car was registered...this month, it is brand-new. Same goes to the Audi RS6 Performance, MSRP 147k EUR, "my" price would be 120k EUR. Registered...this month.

Now I don't know what to do: The R8 V10 Plus is a treat, I sat in this car this morning (drove it last year...) and that virtual cockpit is really nice, incl. the whole interior quality. Only thing I'm not a fan of: That huge rear wing but I could live with it. The RS6 Performance is a very nice family car, very spacious, very good interior quality as well but of course no sports car.

I still have the C4 GTS Cab, so the R8 doesn't really seem to make sense but my stomach points towards the R8, only my brain says RS6.

Just wanted to let you suffer with me...it will be either the R8 or the RS6, haven't decided yet though. Wife loves the R8 but says it doesn't make sense, she hates the RS6 but wouldn't mind if I take it because it has four seats. Son wants the R8, daughter wants the RS6, so... 

Do I need any of these cars? Well, the R8 would replace the GT500 as a weekend fun car. The RS6 would replace the Jeep as a family car. So both cars make somehow sense but I do not really need them. I like both though but like I said, the R8 would be my favorite since this is the closest I will get to a Lamborghini for the next couple of years. The RS6 however is a very nice family commuter and I would really enjoy it. Maybe I should take both(dealer would make an even better price for both)? Smiley Nahh...I'm not that crazy (and wealthy).

--

If you ask me: I would not buy either - unless you wanted to sell the 991, in which I would get the R8 :-)

Gnil:

I see lot's of new RS6 around here , much more then the older RS6 .  This car seems to be the new ' must have ' monster in this part of the world .  It does look good, I must admit .

You are looking at two very different cars . Do you need a new family car ( the the RS6 will probably give more pleasure then the Panamera, Macan, even Cayenne Turbo )  or do you need/want a week end toy ? 

If one needs a A6 I would recommend the large diesel (for Germany). The RS6 is nothing special, a waste of money and will be replaced in about 18 months...

Are you kidding me? You dream about getting an exotic daily and when given a chance at a great one (R8) you debate it will some lame wagon/sedan?

Countdown to RC getting another car that's boring as hell :)

RC:
    Gnil:

I don't actually need any of them to be honest but I want them both. Smiley Smiley

I test-drove the RS6 Performance...it is so much fun to drive and it sounds so good. I was afraid it would feel like the Panamera Turbo S I had but maybe Porsche should take lessons with Audi how to build a fun family beast. Smiley

The R8 is a real joy, I am so surprised. I loved how it drove last year but I wasn't really paying too much attention because the test-drive was next to a Huracan and this was actually the car I paid more attention to. 

Now that I had the R8 up and close for almost half an hour or so, I really fell in love with the car. Also had one in front of me on our way to Italy and every time he accelerated, we heard it inside our Macan Turbo and it was pretty loud. Amazing sound!

So yes, I want both but... Smiley

P.S.: Did I mention that the dealer would be OK with ABT tuning to 705 hp for the RS6 Performance (605 hp)? It costs almost 10k EUR but my Audi dealer would still honor the warranty (through ABT...it is a bit complicated but basically, the dealer allows the tuning and ABT takes over the warranty from Audi, everything 100% official and legal). Top speed 320 kph (the regular RS6 Performance I would get has the Dynamic Plus package with a Vmax of 305 kph).

Also maybe worth considering: According to my Audi dealer, the current R8 V10 Plus will be the last n/a R8 from Audi. 

--

Christian, the panamera turbo s is the much better car compared to the RS6...

I am with MKSGR in all points.

R8: The 911GTS is so good that the R8 is only very small improvement after two weeks of ownership. Maybe if the Apple stocks are 150.

RS6: when will you use this nice car? Traveling with your kids but without your wife? Going to the office when it is raining? No later than the premiere of the next Cayenne this car will be worse than boring for you.

Itsme:

I am with MKSGR in all points.

R8: The 911GTS is so good that the R8 is only very small improvement after two weeks of ownership. Maybe if the Apple stocks are 150.

Smiley Smiley I'm afraid the R8 V10 Plus is a huge improvement over the 911 GTS, believe it or not. It sounds better, it is way faster and the interior is so modern, I just love that virtual cockpit (my wife will hate it though once she realizes she cannot look at the navigation or music playing...as a co-passenger). The 911 GTS is my daily driver and a cabriolet, the R8 would be my "super sports car". Keep in mind that this car is basically a Huracan.

Here is a very nice comparison (sorry, in Russian but with English subtitles). I do not agree with the claim of that track driver that the Huracan has braking issues, I rather think the Huracan had different tires which may not have been perfect for the surface temperature. Still...both cars performed exactly the same (straight line to 250 kph), so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzBil-ekj9g

RS6: when will you use this nice car? Traveling with your kids but without your wife? Going to the office when it is raining? No later than the premiere of the next Cayenne this car will be worse than boring for you.

This would replace the Jeep as a family car. We need a family car and the Macan Turbo really isn't my thing (I realized that again during our last Italy trip recently). I don't think I will get the next Cayenne, I already know most of the specs, I saw the interior and some exterior sketches, it becomes a bit too much of an Audi to me, as weird as this may sound. Every weekend, I am on the road with the family (we usually go to lake Ammer, Starnberg or to Munich, sometimes a bit farer away), so a RS6 would make more sense than a R8 but the R8 is of course more fun and the closest thing I will ever get to a Lamborghini. For now.

My wife will not drive the RS6 but she will drive in it, so maybe this was a little bit misunderstanding. Also, I know her, she said the same about the Jeep (driving it...) and she drove it a couple of times, so...

--

noone1:

Are you kidding me? You dream about getting an exotic daily and when given a chance at a great one (R8) you debate it will some lame wagon/sedan?

There is a lot of truth in what you say. I couldn't drive a Huracan in my neighborhood but the Audi R8 is a different story. Especially since the one I chose is very inoffensive looking (color), not flashy at all.

The RS6 Performance is not boring at all, which was surprising for me as well (I thought this would be another Panamera Turbo S...). It sounds better than the Panamera, it feels better and it looks better (interior is amazing).

--

Forgot to say: I could also wait for the next GT3 RS or GT3 but I'm kind of bored with the 991 angry because I already have the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab. Don't get me wrong, these will be excellent cars but I just want something completely different because the GTS Cab will stay anyway. The 991 GT2 RS would be a different story but this car will be out of my price range (I think...) and it would still be a...991. 

The major reason however is the offer I got from my Audi dealer, much better than expected, especially compared to the Porsche offers I got over the past years, which were already pretty good, so this was quite surprising.

As a hint: The R8 V10 Plus (MSRP 210k EUR) with 610 hp costs me much less than my 991 C4 GTS Cab if I choose to lease it and basically the same if I choose to buy it. Car has been registered to dealership beginning of May, it will have around 500 km or so when I pick it up in July.

This is basically a friggin Huracan, how could I not consider this offer? Smiley Yes, the Huracan looks much better but I care about the driving experience and sound, the look is something I cannot see when I drive the car. Also, I prefer the more stealth look because of various reasons (you guys know why...). Then, there is the 2 year warranty plus another 3 years on top for free. Five years warranty!

--

(I am a big R8 fan from the beginning. Still thinking about buying one, but right now I spend more time in the plane and on the bicycle than in our cars)

Of course it is a great car. But no real Lamborghini. It’s the gentleman’s Lamborghini. And you love your 911 too. How many opportunities do you have when the R8 is that much better than your 911? Virtual cockpit: One of my friends doesn’t like the virtual cockpit for night driving. Too much action on the screen in the lower part of his field of view (didn’t use a virtual cockpit at night until now)

RS6: nice family car if your wife joins the ride. But is it the right car for a SUV lover?

I would sell the 911 and the Shelby , use the Jeep as a DD and family car, buy the R8 as a toy and replace the Jeep with the next Cayenne. But it not my money, my family and I am very happy not my neighbourhood with this strange problems

Itsme:

(I am a big R8 fan from the beginning. Still thinking about buying one, but right now I spend more time in the plane and on the bicycle than in our cars)

Of course it is a great car. But no real Lamborghini. It’s the gentleman’s Lamborghini. And you love your 911 too. How many opportunities do you have when the R8 is that much better than your 911? Virtual cockpit: One of my friends doesn’t like the virtual cockpit for night driving. Too much action on the screen in the lower part of his field of view (didn’t use a virtual cockpit at night until now)

The new R8 is basically a Lamborghini Huracan in Audi body. I don't know if this is true but I heard of 70% same parts (Porsche source, another source said only 50%). Smiley Both cars have the same performance and almost the same sound (the Huracan seems to scream a tiny bit more but the sound is very similar). I am actually very happy that the R8 looks less flashy but I'm not a big fan of that rear wing (I wish it could be removed but it can't).

RS6: nice family car if your wife joins the ride. But is it the right car for a SUV lover?

I always liked how the RS6 is looking and yes, I'm not a fan of station wagons, I always preferred SUVs. However, right now, I don't really see any SUV with the performance (or sound) of the RS6 Performance (605 hp). The fact that I can add ABT's 705 hp tuning to it without loosing the warranty or having issues with the lease (if I decide to lease...) is also pretty interesting.

I would sell the 911 and the Shelby , use the Jeep as a DD and family car, buy the R8 as a toy and replace the Jeep with the next Cayenne. But it not my money, my family and I am very happy not my neighbourhood with this strange problems

The 911 is a lease and I love it, I won't give it back. My wife actually wants to buy it when the lease ends or I buy it, we're not sure yet. We both love this car, it is just "us", it is difficult to explain. It fits me or my wife perfectly. Also, the 911 is my daily driver (besides the Mini JCW I use from time to time).

The Jeep is a lease as well and the lease ends soon. I liked this SUV a lot but I only used it for longer family trips. 

The next gen Cayenne is not exactly what I expected (maybe my expectations were too high?). It is very luxurious  and very likely very fast but the whole car reminds me of Audi and as weird as this may sound, yes...this is an issue for me. Of course Porsche will change and tweak many things and I haven't seen the final product yet but... Smiley

The Shelby has to go anyway for various reasons, I will explain them later on and they all have to do with a brain decision. The car itself is fantastic, I will explain in a couple of months why it had to go.

--

RC:
    noone1:

There is a lot of truth in what you say. I couldn't drive a Huracan in my neighborhood but the Audi R8 is a different story. Especially since the one I chose is very inoffensive looking (color), not flashy at all.

The RS6 Performance is not boring at all, which was surprising for me as well (I thought this would be another Panamera Turbo S...). It sounds better than the Panamera, it feels better and it looks better (interior is amazing).

Doesn't matter how it drives. It's boring to own. You'll never feel anything other than indifferent about having it.

Boring to own? Hmm...I tried to figure out what you mean but... yes I really like the RS6, actually always liked it but never go to own one because I preferred SUVs. From a performance point of view, the RS6 Performance is amazing (0-100 kph in 3.7 seconds, 0-200 kph in 12.1 seconds, top speed 305 kph). No SUV can beat that. However, the RS6 offers a certain emotional plus vs. SUVs because it feels sportier and the engine sounds amazing. I also like the sporty interior of the RS6.

The Panamera Turbo S I owned felt different...heavier (although both weight almost the same)...more luxurious (the RS6 feels/looks sportier) and it sounded much worse. Won't even mention the luggage and passenger room, the Panamera just sucked in that domain, even if the rear seats were pretty comfortable.

Anyway: I do not try to convince myself. Tomorrow I'm going to be at the dealer with my wife and we will see how this turns out. indecision

--

I'm telling you, you'll never once look at it and think, "Man, this is a cool car."

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

KresoF1:

Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

noone1:

I'm telling you, you'll never once look at it and think, "Man, this is a cool car."

A cool car would be a Huracan or an Aventador but... Smiley Smiley

--

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Smiley Trust me, I would love to take both but impossible. Already did the calculations. This would require getting rid of the 991 GTS and I really don't want that, especially since me and the wife love this car. No way. Smiley The 991 GTS stays!

Right now, my stomach says R8 (once in a lifetime offer...well...for now) but my brain says RS6. Let's see what my wife has to say tomorrow after we take a look at the cars. Smiley

--

It's not a once in a lifetime offer though. In 6-12 months there will be hundreds of R8s with that price.

So you are in the market for a sporty sedan... do you ever consider the Ferrari FF? In the price range between the two Audis there are good opportunities.

If the decission is between R8 and RS6 i'd go for the station wagon. The two seater lacks of any personality to me, like the white brand of the average supercar, not my cup of tea.

RC:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Smiley Trust me, I would love to take both but impossible. Already did the calculations. This would require getting rid of the 991 GTS and I really don't want that, especially since me and the wife love this car. No way. Smiley The 991 GTS stays!

Right now, my stomach says R8 (once in a lifetime offer...well...for now) but my brain says RS6. Let's see what my wife has to say tomorrow after we take a look at the cars. Smiley

Always go with the stomach, and you know I practice what I preach Smiley. Even the numbers are on the stomach's side this time.

With a "limited" budget the GTS, the R8 and the GT don't make sense.

I would ditch the Jeep and the GT and get the RS6 (if like you said it is WAY better than the Panamera) AND the R8...

Of course the FF is a marvelous choice but it doesn't fit your needs, it's either too small or too big...

OK, the decision has been made, took my wife today to the dealer.

She was deeply surprised, in a positive sense, by the RS6 and she actually confessed that she liked it (she thought this is like one of her friends' BMW 3 series station wagon but everything was just different and sportier).

At that time, she was completely opposed to the idea of me getting a R8. The RS6 suddenly made sense.

Drove the RS6 again and loved it. Powerful, nice sounding and very sporty drive feel, way better than the Panamera Turbo S I had, which was again a huge surprise (Kudos to Audi).

Now we switched to the R8 and my wife wasn't too impressed...at first. I took the first drive with my son and when I turned on the engine, my wife got the shivers. indecision 

I drove away with my son in the R8 and my wife claimed that she heard us driving even inside the building. 

Then, it was her turn to drive with me in the R8 and the deal was sealed: She wants me to have the R8. Unbelievable.

The sound of this car is just amazing, people were turning heads wherever we were driving by.

Then...it happened what should happen...the police stopped me. Munich police is well known for stopping people with loud cars and confiscating them (no kidding), so they can be examined by a special tech guy who then establishes if the car is street legal or not.

In my case and the R8, this wasn't necessary. Why? I didn't have the car papers with me (dealer forgot to give them to me...), so they called the dealer and talked to the sales person. When they heard that this is a test car from the dealership, they didn't bother me anymore regarding the sound. However, even I have to confess that I don't have a clue how the heck Audi did get a street legal certification for this exhaust system. It is just insane!
    Drove back to the dealership, after spending 15 minutes on the side of a road next to a police car and I expected my wife to be mad at me (she is not a very patient person) but on the contrary, she loved the R8 even more. yes

The car has been reserved for me, the papers will be signed soon but I cannot pick it up before end of June because I have way too much work and one of my employees is going on vacation. 

I would like to add a few things I noticed about the new Audi R8 V10 Plus, a more thorough review will be posted once I have the car for a week or two:

1. Exhaust/engine sound is just insane and out of this world. Seriously. Very close to the Lamborghini Huracan, actually at the same loudness with a slightly deeper tone but also screaming when you push it hard. The sound is pure aural sex, much better than the 911 GTS sound and louder than my GT500, which says a lot about it.

2. The gearbox is amazing, I used the paddles to shift and the shifting reaction is basically instantaneously. While on the 911 GTS, there is always a very very short moment until it shifts, the shifting in the R8 actually goes hand in hand with your fingers moving the paddles. There is absolutely no delay, upshift or downshift. Wonderful!

3. The steering is very direct, a tiny bit lighter than on my 911 GTS but also a bit more direct. Very surprising since I was always pretty sure that there aren't many cars out there with the fantastic steering feel of the 911.

4. The interior quality is just top notch, this is another (different and higher) level than my 911 GTS. The virtual cockpit is amazing as well and a lot of fun.

Overall, I was driving with the windows open all the time because I couldn't get enough of this sound.

I really suggest to test-drive the new R8 V10 Plus, you really don't know what you are missing.

The car I got myself has Pirelli Pzero tires and they are very good, similar to the ones on my 911 GTS. I always liked the  Pzero because it always provides a similar drive and steering feel, no matter on what car you have them.

The 911 GTS Cab is staying by the way... Smiley This R8 replaces my GT500 (farewell to it...).

Here are a few (not so good) iPhone photos, more to come once I pick it up end of June.

Btw: It looks much better live than on photos.

Car has all the necessary goodies like sport exhaust (yes, this is an option!), Bang & Olufsen Hifi system, laser light and whatnot. MSRP is 208k EUR. Ouch. 

14650421729211.jpg
    14650421730022.jpg
    14650421730143.jpg
    14650421730224.jpg
    14650421730255.jpg
    14650421730406.jpg
    14650421730447.jpg

--

Finally RC gets a cool car. Congrats. Are the stripes just wrapped?

noone1:
    Finally RC gets a cool car. Congrats. Are the stripes just wrapped?

Dealer added the stripes for fun because he thought this improves the somewhat boring exterior color. Also, the car has a clear film protection for the front (against stone chips, etc.). This can all be easily removed but I think I will leave it that way for now. If I don't like it, I can easily remove it.

The sound of this thing...oh boy...I would have even taken even an A6 with this kind of sound.
    Dealer was also amazing, superb service and friendliness. Also got 5 years warranty (2+3).

Car is basically new, only 1700 km. First 1000 km have been done by the managing director of the dealership who is an older guy who doesn't drive fast. He was in Austria and Italy with this car two weeks ago. 

--

Awesome choice RC. My neighbor has one and the sound when he goes by is the best thing since a Blue Angels fly by. You will love this car. I want one so bad. 

Enjoy!!!

Stripes and no black wheels, and somewhat exotic, what have you done to the old RC? angrysmiley

Congrats, as indicated before I think you are doing the right choice. Plus you are getting two almost new cars with latest tech, which you always have enjoyed more. Your Audi dealer must be happy. But this is yet another sign the Porsche prices are just getting out of hand except for the Macan (for how long?).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690709 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409914 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256105 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774865 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM