Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

4trac:
    Whoopsy:

On a side note, I just realized my province, while producing 100% of it's power from hydro electric, and we are producing more than we needed, aren't actually powered 100% from our own clean electricity. It would seems our electric company EXPORTED most of our green electricity to states like California and IMPORT most of our electricity from coal plants in Wyoming, Nebraska, Montana etc. Smiley

In a business, wouldn't that just be classed as a good arbitrage deal? Since almost certainly CA paid more for BC green megawatts than the midwest sells their dirtier megawatts for...

+1 probably made a substantial profit on the switch Smiley

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:

The future of battery tech and issues like weight and charging looks bright. It is this which drives the chances of hydrogen. The market will rule as always. Not perfect of course which explains the gasoline detour we have suffered. 

Of course, it was only a century of misguided, market anomalies and stupid consumers.  

Or maybe the power of money behind big oil?  Follow the money. You sound as though this is not possible. Are you inferring that electricity to power cars is going backwards or that gasoline should continue the way it is?  I’m trying to understand your comment.  Sometimes people don’t do the most logical thing. 

Last I checked there are still plenty of gas fired power plants around. Big Oil still wins. They don't care if cars are powered by gasoline or electricity, either way people are still paying them.

With the decline of nuclear plants and the push back against coal fired ones, gas power plants are gaining importance.

On a side note, I just realized my province, while producing 100% of it's power from hydro electric, and we are producing more than we needed, aren't actually powered 100% from our own clean electricity. It would seems our electric company EXPORTED most of our green electricity to states like California and IMPORT most of our electricity from coal plants in Wyoming, Nebraska, Montana etc. Smiley

Around here it is about 83% coal and 15% nuclear 1% wind and solar and 1% natural gas.

Wind and solar are growing fast though, might hit 10% within the decade if you are optimistic

Shutdown nuclear power when you still have ton of coal energy is a very clever move angry

worse is producing clean and selling it to make a quick buck by importing the dirtiest. 

we are nuclear dependent in France(>70%) and they are working to replace it by renewable energy but at least the shutdown happens when the alternative source is producing indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

4trac:
    Whoopsy:

In a business, wouldn't that just be classed as a good arbitrage deal? Since almost certainly CA paid more for BC green megawatts than the midwest sells their dirtier megawatts for...

Well it is good business, the difference in rates is around $30 a megawatt.

--

the-missile:

Shutdown nuclear power when you still have ton of coal energy is a very clever move angry

worse is producing clean and selling it to make a quick buck by importing the dirtiest. 

we are nuclear dependent in France(>70%) and they are working to replace it by renewable energy but at least the shutdown happens when the alternative source is producing indecision

I said it before, it's always about the money. 

Caring for the environment is just a facade 

--

Whoopsy:
    the-missile:

--

+1. Yes to that 

Whoopsy:
    the-missile:

--

Smiley Not always but most of them time. Most CEOs and politicians are lying through their teeth but the sheep believe everything they read/see on TV.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

It’s actually about the children...

Elon Musk Hits Traffic Pylon With New Cybertruck After Dinner in Malibu

Elon Musk hits a pylon with his new Cybertruck while leaving a Malibu restaurant on December 7, 2019

Gif: TMZ

Billionaire tech icon Elon Musk turned a lot of heads in Malibu, California on Saturday night when he showed up to a swanky restaurant in his new Tesla Cybertruck. But Musk’s night on the town included at least one embarrassing hiccup. The founder of Tesla and SpaceX hit a traffic pylon with his shiny new vehicle that some Twitter usersjoked was roughly the height of a small child.

Musk was spotted at Nobu, one of the more expensive Japanese restaurants in L.A., where the new Cybertruck got a lot of attention on Saturday. According to celebrity news site TMZ the valets at Nobu decided to keep the truck front and center in the parking lot, where passersby stopped to get a peek at the new electric vehicle. At one point, Musk even came out of the restaurant with actor Edward Norton to show off his eye-catching vehicle.

The Cybertruck was first unveiled at an awkward ceremony on November 21 where windows were shattered during a demonstration of how “bulletproof” the truck was, but this weekend’s blunder was arguably more cringeworthy.

Illustration for article titled Elon Musk Hits Traffic Pylon With New Cybertruck After Dinner in Malibu

Screenshot: TMZ

The Cybertruck doesn’t appear to have basic safety features yet like side mirrors and window wipers, which presumably hampered Musk’s ability to drive without hitting things. The vehicle’s strange shape leaves some bizarre blindspots, to say the least. 

And as anyone can see and hear from the video, the Cybertruck makes a loud “thud” noise as Musk hits the pylon. It’s almost comical, but apparently it wasn’t loud enough to make Musk stop his vehicle. Either that or he didn’t care.

Musk’s vehicle was also spotted on the 405 freeway that same night around 11:00pm, according to YouTube user Roberto Cruzwho posted two videos of the dystopian-style truck.

Is it legal to drive around a prototype vehicle like the Cybertruck on public roads? That part remains unclear. 

As the car news website The Driven points out, the vehicle can be on California’s public roads if it has manufacturer’s plates and is being used for testing purposes. But a night out at Nobu isn’t exactly proper “test” conditions. Or maybe it is, as long as you’re wealthy.

At the end of the day it probably doesn’t matter whether Musk is breaking any laws while driving his experimental vehicle on California roads. Normal laws for all of us don’t apply to billionaires, as we saw with last week’s verdict in favor of Musk who called some poor fellow a “pedo guy” with absolutely no evidence.

Illustration for article titled Elon Musk Hits Traffic Pylon With New Cybertruck After Dinner in Malibu

If you see Musk’s Cybertruck out on the streets, enjoy. But maybe hide your kids. Not because Elon Musk is a “pedo guy,” which he obviously is. Musk just looks like he’s prone to mowing down anything under a couple of feet tall.

Is it legal to drive around a prototype vehicle like the Cybertruck on public roads? That part remains unclear. 

As the car news website The Driven points out, the vehicle can be on California’s public roads if it has manufacturer’s plates and is being used for testing purposes. But a night out at Nobu isn’t exactly proper “test” conditions. Or maybe it is, as long as you’re wealthy.

At the end of the day it probably doesn’t matter whether Musk is breaking any laws while driving his experimental vehicle on California roads. Normal laws for all of us don’t apply to billionaires, as we saw with last week’s verdict in favor of Musk who called some poor fellow a “pedo guy” with absolutely no evidence.

Whoever wrote this article is...an idiot. angry 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

CGX car nut:

It’s actually about the children...

Elon Musk Hits Traffic Pylon With New Cybertruck After Dinner in Malibu

Elon Musk hits a pylon with his new Cybertruck while leaving a Malibu restaurant on December 7, 2019

Gif: TMZ

Billionaire tech icon Elon Musk turned a lot of heads in Malibu, California on Saturday night when he showed up to a swanky restaurant in his new Tesla Cybertruck. But Musk’s night on the town included at least one embarrassing hiccup. The founder of Tesla and SpaceX hit a traffic pylon with his shiny new vehicle that some Twitter usersjoked was roughly the height of a small child.

Musk was spotted at Nobu, one of the more expensive Japanese restaurants in L.A., where the new Cybertruck got a lot of attention on Saturday. According to celebrity news site TMZ the valets at Nobu decided to keep the truck front and center in the parking lot, where passersby stopped to get a peek at the new electric vehicle. At one point, Musk even came out of the restaurant with actor Edward Norton to show off his eye-catching vehicle.

The Cybertruck was first unveiled at an awkward ceremony on November 21 where windows were shattered during a demonstration of how “bulletproof” the truck was, but this weekend’s blunder was arguably more cringeworthy.

The Cybertruck doesn’t appear to have basic safety features yet like side mirrors and window wipers, which presumably hampered Musk’s ability to drive without hitting things. The vehicle’s strange shape leaves some bizarre blindspots, to say the least. 

And as anyone can see and hear from the video, the Cybertruck makes a loud “thud” noise as Musk hits the pylon. It’s almost comical, but apparently it wasn’t loud enough to make Musk stop his vehicle. Either that or he didn’t care.

Musk’s vehicle was also spotted on the 405 freeway that same night around 11:00pm, according to YouTube user Roberto Cruzwho posted two videos of the dystopian-style truck.

If you see Musk’s Cybertruck out on the streets, enjoy. But maybe hide your kids. Not because Elon Musk is a “pedo guy,” which he obviously is. Musk just looks like he’s prone to mowing down anything under a couple of feet tall.

Is this a real fear of yours?  Interesting. I worry about things a bit more important. A car hitting a traffic pylon. Really?  I suppose it was also about the size of a suitcase nuke. Why not accuse him of causing a nuclear explosion?  I’m pretty certain we must ban all Tesla’s because only they can run into small objects and kill people or set off nukes by accident. 

Triggered a twofer by posting a Gizmodo article. Gizmodo is about as far left as possible and it still rankled a poster or two here.  

Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot crashes into police car heart

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50713716

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment. However, the firm does not recommend that drivers remove their hands from the wheel while using the Autopilot feature.

Well there you go, problem solved then, that will surely keep idiots using it as if it was a real autopilot and will never happen again now... maybe just add a warning sticker on the sun visor for good measure and then it will be 100% idiot proof...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment. However, the firm does not recommend that drivers remove their hands from the wheel while using the Autopilot feature.

Well there you go, problem solved then, that will surely keep idiots using it as if it was a real autopilot and will never happen again now... maybe just add a warning sticker on the sun visor for good measure and then it will be 100% idiot proof...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Except for everyone but Musk.  

Elon Musk broke one of Tesla's biggest Autopilot rules in a TV interview

Mark Matousek

Dec 10, 2018, 9:49 AM

Tesla tells owners they must keep their hands on the wheel at all times when using Autopilot, the automaker's semi-autonomous driver-assistance feature. But Tesla CEO Elon Musk took his hands off the wheel after activating Autopilot in a Model 3 sedan during a "60 Minutes" interviewthat aired on Sunday.

The Model 3 owner's manual describes Autopilot's ability to control a vehicle's speed and steering under some circumstances "a hands-on feature" and instructs owners to keep their hands on the wheel when using it.

"You must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times," the manual says.

Read more: I tried Tesla's new Autopilot feature that helps navigate during highway driving to see if it's helpful — here's the verdict

During the "60 Minutes" interview, Musk removed his hands from the steering wheel after activating Autopilot and did not appear to hold the wheel with either of his hands for the rest of the segment.

Musk also used Autopilot without his hands on the wheel during an interview with "CBS This Morning" that aired in April.

Tesla did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

Read more: Tesla's Autopilot used to give the company a huge advantage — but now it's becoming a problem

Tesla has received criticism for how it has promoted Autopilot, and fatal accidentsinvolving the feature have raised questionsabout whether drivers place too much trust in it and fail to pay attention to the road. Tesla says Autopilot is meant to be used with an attentive driver whose hands are on the wheel, but the most visible accidents involving Autopilot have involved reports of distracted drivers.

Tesla has pointed to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that indicate Autopilot reduces the likelihood of a vehicle being in an accident, but the NHTSA told Ars Technica in May that a study Tesla has cited did not necessarily prove that Autopilot reduced accident rates.

In October, Consumer Reports released its rankings of four semi-autonomous driver-assistance systems. Autopilot ranked second, behind Cadillac's Super Cruise, with the highest rating among the four for capability and performance and ease of use, but the lowest for keeping drivers engaged.

If you guys spent as much time trying out a Tesla model three as you spend clipping the articles you may actually learn more valuable information.  Sometimes I wish this was the early 1900’s so I could read about your fear of cars and love of horse shoes. 
    I’m pretty certain everyone here understands the limitations of auto steer and paying attention. I even pay attention when others are driving just in case.  I’m also certain that while Tesla’s can crash many other accidents due to inattention also took place. But this does suit your narrative and helps bolster your case. Good for you. 
    If you ever decide to expand your horizon a bit I recommend you spend a few days in a model3 so that you shed a bit of light on this safety feature. 
    I get that lack of understanding how auto steer works and scary stories about it helps you ignore the fact the other electric cars are barely up to using electricity rather than gas and are years behind in autonomous driving capability. 

Leawood911:

If you guys spent as much time trying out a Tesla model three as you spend clipping the articles you may actually learn more valuable information.  Sometimes I wish this was the early 1900’s so I could read about your fear of cars and love of horse shoes. 
    I’m pretty certain everyone here understands the limitations of auto steer and paying attention. I even pay attention when others are driving just in case.  I’m also certain that while Tesla’s can crash many other accidents due to inattention also took place. But this does suit your narrative and helps bolster your case. Good for you. 
    If you ever decide to expand your horizon a bit I recommend you spend a few days in a model3 so that you shed a bit of light on this safety feature. 
    I get that lack of understanding how auto steer works and scary stories about it helps you ignore the fact the other electric cars are barely up to using electricity rather than gas and are years behind in autonomous driving capability. 

I am actually happy that autonomous driving is coming. This means that less skilled drivers will finally not mess up traffic. SmileySmiley

--

Leawood911:

Are those manufacturers really behind in autonomous vehicle system development or are they not willing to treat their customers as crash test dummies for incomplete systems? 

RC:
    Leawood911:

I am actually happy that autonomous driving is coming. This means that less skilled drivers will finally not mess up traffic. SmileySmiley

Hmm, they shouldn't even have a license to begin with.

--

As you get older you will appreciate any "assistance" you can get!

964C2:

As you get older you will appreciate any "assistance" you can get!

Sure, time to get a chauffeur Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Leawood911:

Hmm, they shouldn't even have a license to begin with.

This means that at least 25% of the drivers out there shouldn't drive... Smiley Smiley Probably 50% in Florida... Smiley

--

A new offering from the local utility company. Electric rates based on time of day. Makes the case for the need to add BEVs charging overnight to make better use of excess capacity:

evergy rate plan.png

thanks Tony 

A little math. A gallon of 93 octane BP is around $3 here in good old Kansas. Around town my turbo does well to get 20 mpg. Let’s make it 25 on the highway at best behavior. 
    At $.05 per kWh I can get 60 kWh for that same $3. A model 3 is rated at 4.1 miles per kWh. That’s 246 miles for the same $3. (now 2.9 sec 0-60, so it kills the turbo) It also best the M3 around the track by a fair margin so this is not just a straight line trick. IMHO they are comparing to the wrong Tesla when it comes to driving fun. 
    My round trip to work each day if I come home for lunch is 10 miles. Just the gas to get gas (4 miles) costs more than total electricity for a week (50 miles). 
    I believe the Porsche gets a respectable 2.1 miles per kWh (49kwh/100 miles)  It has its place and is an awesome car  

the cost of ownership, insurance, repairs etc is just incredible for any electric    My observation only  

Gladstone:

A new offering from the local utility company. Electric rates based on time of day. Makes the case for the need to add BEVs charging overnight to make better use of excess capacity:

evergy rate plan.png

This is basically five(!) times cheaper than "night" electricity in Germany. Smiley

For this kind of money, many over here would switch to EVs but unfortunately, electricity is going to be more expensive here. Our government just initiated some increased energy tax legislations which will come in effect over the next couple of years.

--

RC:
    Gladstone:

evergy rate plan.png

This is basically five(!) times cheaper than "night" electricity in Germany. Smiley

For this kind of money, many over here would switch to EVs but unfortunately, electricity is going to be more expensive here. Our government just initiated some increased energy tax legislations which will come in effect over the next couple of years.

is this include all taxes and membership and all cost associated?

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Smiley

That’s irrelevant since Jim Cramer of Mad Money has become a Tesla disciple.  

Leawood911:

thanks Tony 

A little math. A gallon of 93 octane BP is around $3 here in good old Kansas. Around town my turbo does well to get 20 mpg. Let’s make it 25 on the highway at best behavior. 
    At $.05 per kWh I can get 60 kWh for that same $3. A model 3 is rated at 4.1 miles per kWh. That’s 246 miles for the same $3. (now 2.9 sec 0-60, so it kills the turbo) It also best the M3 around the track by a fair margin so this is not just a straight line trick. IMHO they are comparing to the wrong Tesla when it comes to driving fun. 
    My round trip to work each day if I come home for lunch is 10 miles. Just the gas to get gas (4 miles) costs more than total electricity for a week (50 miles). 
    I believe the Porsche gets a respectable 2.1 miles per kWh (49kwh/100 miles)  It has its place and is an awesome car  

the cost of ownership, insurance, repairs etc is just incredible for any electric    My observation only  

No one dispute the cheapness of running a EV.

Our electricity is on a 2 step pricing but the first step is so small that it's pointless to include, so our rate is CAD$0.12 a kw. Recharging my Audi from empty is ~CAD$11.

For the Panamera is like $1.50

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

thanks Tony 

Our electricity is on a 2 step pricing but the first step is so small that it's pointless to include, so our rate is CAD$0.12 a kw. Recharging my Audi from empty is ~CAD$11.

Don't forget that petrol retail prices include a series of taxes including a road use tax, which currently isn't being levied on BEVs.  Once the taxing authorities figure out how to apply those taxes, recharging a BEV will become more expensive.  

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

thanks Tony 

Don't forget that petrol retail prices include a series of taxes including a road use tax, which currently isn't being levied on BEVs.  Once the taxing authorities figure out how to apply those taxes, recharging a BEV will become more expensive.  

I suppose you will wait until then to get one. It is the fair thing to do. In the meantime...  do note the miles per kWh when comparing EVs will eventually matter to you.  The Taycan not so efficient...but that was not the goal. The goal was to build an electric Porsche which they did very very well. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM