Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Dead PDK gear box, what should I do ?

You would think they would design it so that they could be replaced without having to change the whole unit, or at the very least make the sensor itself available to the client instead of forcing them to buy the whole unit for a ridiculous price. Guess they don't care about those things...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

It's more a case of these things not being identified during bench or development testing. Manufacturers have to cram test regimes into a relative short time cycle and to try and emulate a long life of usage they run the units continuously for thousands of hours. This will not replicate long term ownership patterns perfectly but is the best they can hope to do. Real world usage can throw up problems that simply never happened in the development test phase. These early units were designed to be sealed for life and presumably the engineers felt that putting the sensors inside the gearbox casing would keep them out of the harsh environment of rain, snow, salt etc found on road surfaces that cause sensitive items like sensors trouble. They must have realised there were issues at some point after the introduction of this box with their subsequent decision to move the senors outside the gearbox on later versions.

As I said earlier if this becomes an ongoing issue someone in the aftermarket will spot an opportunity to step in to provide a repair solution. With Porsche offering up to 15 year warranty now I'd suggest anyone looking to take out such a policy read the small print very thoroughly to ensure the PDK gearbox is covered and to what extent. It can only make financial sense for them to do so if they offer an exchange service for a unit that has been refurbished by ZF as their dealers will already have the cost of dropping the box out the car so fitting an exchange unit at that point is far more cost effective for them than having the dealer strip the existing to carry out the repair. ZF will be much more efficient at this and be able to fully warrant the repaired unit before it goes back out to the Porsche network. These are relatively expensive cars when new and the running costs do not diminish with age so you have to pay to continue to play as it were with an older model.

If I were Gnil I'd write to the head of Porsche Switzerland and plead the case for a goodwill contribution from Porsche towards thecost of the labour involved in this task andcite the service history of the car within the dealership network and all of his Porsche owning/buying history. From what I can gather Porsche AG are usually helpful in this regard but you need to find the right person in you local distributor to make it happen.

Gnil:

It looks like sensors in general are a weak point . Are they just badly done ? Or is it that it is difficult to make them reliable and long lasting ? 

The problem I had with my new GT3 RS this summer ( engine went into limp mode , took Porsche 3 weeks to find where the problem came from )  also had to do with faulty sensors . 

Electronics, they will fail with time.

Mechanical parts not so much, with proper maintenance these will last a lifetime.

--

I guess even Boeing is learning about sensors these days....angry

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Sensors have two major issues: Hardware quality and software programming. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I know it's a bit to help OP, but they do open PDKs now, and the gear position sensor can be replaced with new one. Mechanic who knows what he is doing can do it in one day, with coffee breaks

And here is the replacement sensor: 
    http://t-design9.com/PDK_distance_position_sensor_7DT45_7DT70_7DT75_porsche.html

porsche_fan:

I know it's a bit to help OP, but they do open PDKs now, and the gear position sensor can be replaced with new one. Mechanic who knows what he is doing can do it in one day, with coffee breaks

And here is the replacement sensor: 
    http://t-design9.com/PDK_distance_position_sensor_7DT45_7DT70_7DT75_porsche.html

Too late for me indeed, but excellent that someone has brought this easy fix out Smiley  It was crazy to have to buy a new gearbox ( Porsche quote around 19k ) for a simple sensor replacement Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

nd here is the replacement sensor: 

Too late for me indeed, but excellent that someone has brought this easy fix out Smiley  

+1 Smiley 

It is an easy fix now, but I know it was a very long and interesting project to develop a full replacement for original sensors unit. Because, yes, it is crazy to buy a new gearbox instead of simple one part replacement. But that's a Porsche business model :( If you go to a dealer - the only solution they offer is full gearbox replacement!!! They will project an image, that PDK is a total mystery, and can't be opened. Yet a good indi shop can drop, open, replace sensor  and put everything back in 4 to 8 hours.

I was so pissed off when I had my problem, knowing it was just a cheap sensor to replace and that Porsche only offered me to buy a new box. Was totally crazy !!!  Specially that it will happen to many boxes. It was a design mistake to put the sensors into the box. 

Hope this will now push Porsche to offer a repair. 

--

Gnil:

I was so pissed off when I had my problem, knowing it was just a cheap sensor to replace and that Porsche only offered me to buy a new box. Was totally crazy !!!  Specially that it will happen to many boxes. It was a design mistake to put the sensors into the box. 

Hope this will now push Porsche to offer a repair. 

--

For what it’s worth I had a similar experience with the Front Axle Lift on my 997.2 GT3. Porsche said the system was a complete replacement at a cost of at least £17,000! Refused to pay that and took the system out from under the car myself to repair it…….Turned out to be this…..

98EF92A0-604E-43DB-B385-FEDCA0EAEAAE.jpeg

Cost £4 for exact replacement from RS components !!

According to Porsche the belt is not a replaceable part….. My response was “Why go to the trouble of putting an inspection hatch on the system then?”

They need to do something.  This is absurd. A mockery of the clients and an embarrassment for Porsches approach of  sustainability and it's engineering reputation.  They need to do something .

Hope you have sent a complained  to Porsche's headquarter. 

How lucky you are that you have some mechanical skills kiss

--

Gnil:

A mockery of the clients and an embarrassment for Porsches approach of  sustainability and it's engineering reputation. 

+1 it's ridiculous

As long as we’re talking about ripping off customers let’s discuss ADM…

Gnil:

They need to do something.  This is absurd. A mockery of the clients and an embarrassment for Porsches approach of  sustainability and it's engineering reputation.  They need to do something .

Porsche couldn’t give a toss about 997 owners…. Only interested in shifting new models. As a company they aren’t any different to Mercedes or BMW these days.

I had to suffer the insult of being told that it is a highly technical system that requires extensive diagnostics to isolate the fault… Reality is its just three pressure switches, three solenoid valves and a 12v DC motor driving a compressor. I built my own tester from a Raspberry PI (Put it in a Garmin watch box Smiley) and coded some Python so I could operate the system whilst I had it out of the car… 

3E2DB629-5452-48FB-8821-81F4B54EA635.jpeg

kiss

cdixon:

I had to suffer the insult of being told that it is a highly technical system that requires extensive diagnostics to isolate the fault… Reality is its just three pressure switches, three solenoid valves and a 12v DC motor driving a compressor. I built my own tester from a Raspberry PI (Put it in a Garmin watch box Smiley) and coded some Python so I could operate the system whilst I had it out of the car… 

next level to achieve! Smiley Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Nice fix kiss

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

cdixon:

Porsche couldn’t give a toss about 997 owners…. Only interested in shifting new models. As a company they aren’t any different to Mercedes or BMW these days.

I got the same answer when I wrote a complaint to Porsche Switzerland. Got told : '' Your 997 is an old car '' , there is nothing we can do. 

Love your post about how you got your car fixed SmileySmiley

--

cdixon:
    Gnil:

So cool! 

Are there any good independent shops in your area?

cdixon:
    Gnil:

Absolutely love and admire your approach mate!
    To be fair, that is probably a "highly technical system" to any salesperson and most mechanics...

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Thanks guys..

I do not want to hijack this thread but if anyone else has a 997.2 GT3(RS or 4.0) and it develops Axle Lift issues, then ping me as I did a lot of reverse engineering of this system and many of the common faults on it can often be fixed.

I wrote a document with detailed schematics and pneumatic / electrical operational diagrams I can share.

Cheers Smiley

Might be cool to write it up on an e.g. Wordpress page. I helped a lot of people out with one of mine once as it showed up in Google search results.

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774917 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440423 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262098 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260335 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84851 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879452 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814311 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM