Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2019 Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix at Yas Marina

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2019 Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix at Yas Marina

I am still expecting an entertaining race - I assume HAM and BOT will stick to "to finish first, you need to finish first", more or less, simpy avoiding VER or the famous / infamous new scuderia dream team ...

I know F1 is not the most bullish topic on this forum, however, had a great time watching. HAM / Mercedes dominating, VER with slight difficulties in the beginning (LEC, and nearly VET, passing him). HAM brings some heart to F1 with VER and LEC bringing some new generation...and VET, well, as if someone from Askaban (Harry Potter)  has taken any joy from him...in this state, he should probably resign...

for VET it is a hard time. I have never seen VET as one of the best drivers as HAM or ALO. He was in the best car and was number 1 and won 4 times. He lacks self-reflection. 

On the other side, HAM has a great development - he is strong, handles pressure, doesn't make errors and is good for formula 1. He is a true rock star between formula 1 drivers.

VER is maybe the most talented followed by LEC. I like LEC a little bit more, his self-critics are good for his future development.

Mercedes is from another planet - they are nearly doing everything perfect - scarry how they handle all the races. On the other hand Ferrari - making so many errors: at the beginning VET/LEC, strategy, pit stops, setup, qualifying, ....

Ferrari could only win with a superior car, which will compensate all the team and driver errors. 

--

AM

I remember how much HAM used to be  criticized on this forum ( some years back ) . Now nearly  everyone praises him .

LEC is being now criticized quite a bit . In a few years time he will get praised by those who do criticize him now .

One has to realize that you can not expect a 20 year old to behave like a mature 35 year old . Normal they have tantrums etc...

Roger Federer used to through his rackets on the ground  and have anger bursts when he was young . Today all think is  such a gentleman . 

VET was best when he was a rookie . After that , he ended up good, but not top good . As said, he had the best car when he won . Just like Rosberg, Button, Villeneuve , Hill .....

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

it's the car anyway - that Bottas can carve thru the field from last position to almost 3rd (one more lap would have been needed) is ridiculous and has nothing to do with their driving skills - the Mercedes car is simply on another level.

Strong rumors that Mercedes will stop after 2020 . Or maybe only provide engines . 

--

it was always the car! Only team-intern you see which driver is better.

If Mercedes stops after 2020 this would help McLaren with an engine from Mercedes.

--

AM

I heard the opposite. Actually they develop heavily already for 2021 when the cap comes to have a advantage also for that start.....

BjoernB:

I heard the opposite. Actually they develop heavily already for 2021 when the cap comes to have a advantage also for that start.....

Was that before they decided to do drastic cuts in expenses ?  They announced that they are getting rid of 10'000 employees in order to pay for the energy transition . Not sure they can justify spending crazy amounts in an F1 team on the other side without it becoming counter productive . Maybe they will only provide the engines . 

--

I wonder if F1 helps anyone to sell more cars nowadays. In the 70s and 80s F1 had some value for some brands. I can think of  Lotus under Colin Chapman, early Renault turbos of Equipe Renault Elf, BMW turbo with Piquet, Ferrari with Lauda. They all promoted the image of the corresponding car brands.

Since the 90s I cannot see any rub off from F1 to road car manufacturers. Ferrari are thriving in terms of demand for their products even though their F1 record since the Schumacher era is embarrassing.  Also, in the case of McLaren the automotive business are selling a good number of their coveted road cars in spite of their total lack of success in F1. Do the numerous buyers of E class diesels around the world think of Hamilton's latest win before they order? Of course not.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

BjoernB:

it's the car anyway - that Bottas can carve thru the field from last position to almost 3rd (one more lap would have been needed) is ridiculous and has nothing to do with their driving skills - the Mercedes car is simply on another level.

I beg to differs.

Yes the Mercedes are fast, but skill wise Bottas is up there too, see no farther than qualifying results, he and Hamilton drives the same car but he does out qualify Hamilton quite a few times. Lesser driver won’t be able to do that.

--

I agree, Bottas is skilled but its driver number ...so he has to let Hamilton get by many sometimes.

A good example is Albon vs Verstappen. Basically the same car but Albon can't be fast.

Gnil:

I remember how much HAM used to be  criticized on this forum ( some years back ) . Now nearly  everyone praises him .

HAM was criticized more for his attitude than anything else. He has certainly matured since then. Smiley

Whoopsy:
    BjoernB:

I beg to differs.

Yes the Mercedes are fast, but skill wise Bottas is up there too, see no farther than qualifying results, he and Hamilton drives the same car but he does out qualify Hamilton quite a few times. Lesser driver won’t be able to do that.

I cannot believe that people seriously believe there are drivers out there in F1 who can carve thru a field of other drivers just because of their driving skills. even HAM would not win a flowerpot in anything but a Merc,Ferrari or RB.

BjoernB:
    Whoopsy:
    BjoernB:

I beg to differs.

I cannot believe that people seriously believe there are drivers out there in F1 who can carve thru a field of other drivers just because of their driving skills. even HAM would not win a flowerpot in anything but a Merc,Ferrari or RB.

Smiley Just take a look at Ricciardo and his seasons with RB vs Renault. I know F1 has always been about the cars and likely will always be, but it does not help to make it attractive for the viewers.

Independently of which driver is better than the other, at the end of the day, what you are actually seeing in F1 is 95% car and 5% driver.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

kiss

What I do not understand is that Merc is now for a hundred turbo years leading the pack...they have the same amount of fuel, etc...and still, BOT can start in the middle of nowhere, whereas VET was allegedly put down in power to just finish the race (Ferrari fearing to loose the old power unit at the last race)...and having a hard time overtaking ALB...I assume that management in Marranello or Turino will not be happy about the performance this year...

BjoernB:
    Whoopsy:
    BjoernB:

I beg to differs.

I am not denying the Mercedes car is not faster than most. I am just saying Bottas can drive too, not just a ride-alone, which most people think it's all car. 

Taking the car out of the equation, just comparing times between him and Hamilton in the same car, as in qualifying time, he is not that slow a driver. Imagine Stroll in the same Mercedes, do you think he would out qualify Hamilton even once? Not likely. 

Look at the 2007, 2008 season, Hamilton almost won the title in 2007 and won it in 2008, in a inferior McLaren over the superior Ferrari. In those 2 years, he beat the 2 time champ Alonso fair and square in the same car. So yes, Hamilton is that good that he could quite possible finish on the podium even in cars other than Mercedes Ferrari or Red Bull even this past year.

--

Love him or loathe him, Hamilton is driving at an unbelievable level this year. With the exception of the contact with Albon I don't believe he made any mistakes this season. I rate him higher than Schumi now, due to lack on track Shenanigans. 

That being said, the new crop of drivers coming up is crazy. They are all good and likable. Max, Lando, Albon, Charles, Ocon. I can't remember F1 having a stronger field. 

Ramin:

Love him or loathe him, Hamilton is driving at an unbelievable level this year. With the exception of the contact with Albon I don't believe he made any mistakes this season. I rate him higher than Schumi now, due to lack on track Shenanigans. 

That being said, the new crop of drivers coming up is crazy. They are all good and likable. Max, Lando, Albon, Charles, Ocon. I can't remember F1 having a stronger field. 

Agree.  Too bad the teams can't be more competitive across the field.  Seeing the video of Albon discussing the differences amongst the Red Bull and Toro Rosa cars illustrate the gap from the top tier teams to the those that never get beyond the first qualifying round.  

Gnil:
    BjoernB:

Was that before they decided to do drastic cuts in expenses ?  They announced that they are getting rid of 10'000 employees in order to pay for the energy transition . Not sure they can justify spending crazy amounts in an F1 team on the other side without it becoming counter productive . Maybe they will only provide the engines . 

Today’s news

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merc-quitting-f1-would-not-be-the-right-thing/

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM