Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sport exhaust is it worth it?

Sportexhaust? Nobody really know how much better soundquality it will have, do you think it is worth it?
    Will it still have that nice resonance inlet sound?

Thanks
    dave

Re: Sport exhaust is it worth it?

I've ordered it, but am about to change my mind. My girlfriend (and mother for that matter) are totally against it, and I've run out of reasons to justify it. What's more, from what RC has said, the standard sound is pretty awesome, and if that's not enough, you can order it as an post-build option.

Quote:
    Raven said:
    I've ordered it, but am about to change my mind. My girlfriend (and mother for that matter) are totally against it, and I've run out of reasons to justify it. What's more, from what RC has said, the standard sound is pretty awesome, and if that's not enough, you can order it as an post-build option.

1. Are you sure you've ordered it? I can't get my dealer to add it to my order because it's not yet available.
    2. If you have a build coming up, you probably can't order it anyways (November build) so you might as well just retrofit it later, probably after you've gotten some feedback from others first on how good it sounds.
    3. Your girlfriend and mother are telling you what options you can and can't have?

Not in my book. Want to hear your wonderful engine note? Open the window, and you'll hear it loud and clear. To make it louder than that is to enact a little boy wet dream.

Today, I heard a loud exhaust down a quaint downtown area, around here. I turn around and see a little Mitsu Evo (brand new, still w/o plates) roaring at 15mph. If you ask me, it is pathetic.

Anyone have any experience with the sport exhaust system? Or the 996 verision's, I assume they're roughly the same. I can't imagine that it's as ostentatious as that EVO. But I reckon you should go for it because their's an on/off street so you can disable it if think it's too loud.

Adias - that is exactly what my girlfriend said! If I'm honest, I think I agree with you. The good thing about it is that it will save me a packet.

My mother and I hate loud exhausts on cars, and on those ridiculous Harley motorcycles too. Get off the hog and get some exercise, rather than riding around annoying people. Noise pollution. Why is it not illegal?

Without a doubt the 996 Sports Exhaust is a compelling option...from the gutteral burble at idle through to the howling scream at WOT....it compounds the addictiveness of the Flat 6's wail. Omit at your regret

My MOTHER? Who CARES what mom thinks???

MY MOTHER?? come on people...

Re: My MOTHER? Who CARES what mom thinks???

John SF, sorry, I was joking.

Speaking of guttural burbles, my car gives more than a burble at initial startup. It almost sounds like something is loose, but a close listen reveals it's all exhaust sound. I'm going to break the car in a bit more and see what happens before asking the dealer about it, but does anyone else get the same thing? After about 15 seconds it's gone.

ORDER the sport exhasut system!!!.

When driving my 997S, the sound is incredible, I like it especially when going into "indoor" places, like in the tunnels, big garages etc. And well... things change if you go for the sport exhaust system, in my opinion its another world, and for the 997S, will be similar to the ferrari 360 modena sound!!

My questions is: those people that already have the 997S, (like me), can pre-install the sport exhaust system from Porshe?????.

Since I had the sport exhaust system on my 996, I want to have it in the 997S. Do not go for the bose sound, and you'll more or less safe the price tag for the sport exhaust!.

Well looking forward, all you guys for the answer to my little question!. I think most of 997S owners would like to know the answer, when can we go to the porsche dealer and install the sport exhaust system????

Quote:
    booger said:
    John SF, sorry, I was joking.

Speaking of guttural burbles, my car gives more than a burble at initial startup. It almost sounds like something is loose, but a close listen reveals it's all exhaust sound. I'm going to break the car in a bit more and see what happens before asking the dealer about it, but does anyone else get the same thing? After about 15 seconds it's gone.

Don't worry about it. It's a characteristic of a cold motor. It worried me at first until I heard the salesman start up another one and it did the exact same thing until it was up to operating temperature.

Thanks MrBonus--sets my mind at ease.

Just what the neighbors and cops need: more engine sound

I don't know about you but one of my "circuits" (rural road, not alot of driveways and no traffic) is really quiet country side.

Pi**es me off that I have performance cars which are so frickin' loud. I'm just waiting for neighbors to get my patterns down and call the cops and have them ambush me next time I'm "racing."

I'd prefer the engine to be quiet on the outside. Matter of fact, just pipe digital engine sounds of our choice (ferarri, TT, Harley)
    thru the stereo into the cabin and keep it to a whisper outside.

Re: Just what the neighbors and cops need: more engine sound

Sports exhaust is a must. Assuming it is switch enabled like on the 996, you can always make it quiet when you need to.

I have PSE on my '04 Carrera and had it on my last Carrera. It is by far the best option I've had--on any car I've owned. This is how a Porsche is supposed to sound. For the 997S, it's unclear if it will have a dash switch like the 996. Not an issue in my mind--my PSE is just mufflers installed, and if you're concerned about it being too loud early in the morning in your neighborhood, under 3,000 RPMs it not loud at all...and over 4,000 it sings!

The number of "enthusiastic" pro votes, and the few sensible no votes just prove my point stated above.

MaxErnst is absolutely correct.

Quote:
    ADias said:

Today, I heard a loud exhaust down a quaint downtown area, around here. I turn around and see a little Mitsu Evo (brand new, still w/o plates) roaring at 15mph. If you ask me, it is pathetic.

Those Harleys who blast their exhaust pipes in small town central. THOSE guys should be run down and beaten. I mean seriously: I get homicidal fantasies when they go by.

Quote:
    trice said:
    Sports exhaust is a must. Assuming it is switch enabled like on the 996, you can always make it quiet when you need to.

When would I make it loud?

the switch is actually used as a method of passing noise law in some european countries.

however, some people follow this model:

low sound mode: early commute, so as not to wake up the housewives (and we know how they love to goto war over the smallest things
    mabye also on long highway commutes

high sound mode: sporty driving, etc.

the default is loud, at least that's how it's set up on the 996. the challenge is we don't know what the difference in sound will be on the 997 because the sports exhaust isn't available. but if you can, i urge you to drive a 996 with and one without the sports exhaust back to back, and you will hear the difference.

Booger I know what you mean about the rattle on start up, sounds like a loose bracket in the exhaust, but disappears after a few seconds. I do have a more persistant rattle from the handbrake but nothing I cannot live with for the feel of this car.

Come to think of it, I remember when I asked my dealer to start the engine of the 997S so I could hear the exhaust a few months ago, I remember hearing what sounded like a rattle too. It was most pronounced at low to medium rpm. At high rpm, the exhaust sound was so loud that I couldn't hear the rattle as much

when you can overlook the faults, thats when you're in love.

when you see the faults as dealbreakers, it was the wrong match in the first place.

se non lo montate fate la fine di dario il Cayennaro...compra la tt ! bestia!

let that Dario translate it 4 u ......

Couldn't agree more, MaxErnst.

In my view making your car sound louder than necessary (OK I suspect my 997S already does!) is like smoking in public.

You are assaulting and poluting other peoples' hearing, frankly, and giving them no choice in the matter.

I think it was Winston Churchill who said: "Carry a big stick, but talk softly". It is a dictum to live by and certainly to drive by! And the bigger the 'stick' the better!!!

Off topic mode "on"

Sergini...

No comment..sure my next car have minimum two turbos..

but i don't know if will be a 997TT or a Cay TT

Off topic mode "off"

Guys put the sport exhaust on your car..EVER!the sport exhaust is a MUST on a car..from a 911 to a Cayenne

Ciao
    Dario

Why do some folks need the sport exhaust ? If it doesn't improve HP, its only purpose is to make the car louder. That's just being inconsiderate.
    Why do you need it ? "Hey, look at me in my Porsche" ?
    I always thought the reason to drive a Porsche was to experience a great car, not to try to stroke my ego by "impressing" someone else.

i don't think most people get the sports exhaust to make themselves noticed. rather, people get it for the same reason they get a porsche. they like the experience of driving a porshe. the truth of the matter is that in addition to the feel, the sound also adds to the experience.

For me a quite Porsche is not a Porsche...is not for "hey look at me"..is for something in the heart..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753268 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430807 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258631 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255494 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79541 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868399 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801986 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM