Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: new 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

Would you really think that the public's perception of an R8 driver is very much different  to the owner of  a high powered Mustang ? I may be wrong but in Mainhattan the people you usually see in an R8 you would not really want to have as neighbors...

d997h:

Would you really think that the public's perception of an R8 driver is very much different  to the owner of  a high powered Mustang ? I may be wrong but in Mainhattan the people you usually see in an R8 you would not really want to have as neighbors...

The problem was never perception of Mustang drivers in Germany (the perception seems actually pretty positive), my problem was always with the owners per se, not many with an university degree, if you get my drift. Not that I really care but they cared, once I outed myself (and even added I had a Porsche as well), I was in trouble. Smiley Tried to connect to various US car communities here and the only guys I got along with were actually the mechanics and professional drivers because we were talking at the same level and had the same interests. The owners? Oh boy... Smiley

The perception of Audi R8 drivers is the same as Porsche drivers in Bavaria, not much different. We have two R8 in our neighborhood, one is a cardiologist and the other one is an entrepreneur or investment guy, not sure what he does but he has a big company. They both pick up their kids at school in these cars, this is how I know about them.

The perception of Lamborghini drivers would be different: From time to time, there is a driver in an Aventador picking up his daughter at school and I have heard quite idiotic comments about this, mostly from parents though. The owner has some sort of consultant agency for big companies, he is a lawyer. 

I guess Frankfurt is different with perceptions. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

The perception of Audi R8 drivers is the same as Porsche drivers in Bavaria, not much different. We have two R8 in our neighborhood, one is a cardiologist and the other one is an entrepreneur or investment guy, not sure what he does but he has a big company. They both pick up their kid at school in these cars, this is how I know about them.

EFA - surely this is the biggest problem with the R8 = no back seats Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

TB993tt:
    RC:

The perception of Audi R8 drivers is the same as Porsche drivers in Bavaria, not much different. We have two R8 in our neighborhood, one is a cardiologist and the other one is an entrepreneur or investment guy, not sure what he does but he has a big company. They both pick up their kid at school in these cars, this is how I know about them.

EFA - surely this is the biggest problem with the R8 = no back seats Smiley

Smiley You know me well. Smiley

This is supposed to be a weekend toy, so no real problem. However, after driving that RS6 Performance at the same dealer, it got me thinking. What if I would get the RS6 instead? My wife hates station wagons (wouldn't be a real problem though) but other than that? I'm still thinking about that RS6 but I don't think it makes sense. For the city, I have the GTS and the Mini JCW, for longer drives, we can always take the Macan Turbo or the Jeep (this car may go sooner than I thought, a friend wants to take over the lease...), so the RS6 doesn't really fit in. The R8 however is a different story, this would be my first non-exotic exotic Smiley, something which actually makes this choice quite interesting for me. Smiley Also the price tag of course but first, I'd need to get rid of my GT500 but I'm working on it.

So if I end up with a RS6 Performance instead of the R8, you know that I finally and officially got old. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Yes, you said never ever a station wagon smiley Personally I find the RS6 far more exciting than any SUV. It probably is more fun to drive, due to the lower center of gravity, and has equal or more space inside. It looks gorgeous too, I checked out an RS6 Performance version at the dealer when we got the S3 kiss Whack in the ABT chip (730hp / 920Nm) and you will overtake almost everything on the autobahn.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Yes, you said never ever a station wagon smiley 

I was theorizing...and I am getting older. Smiley

Personally I find the RS6 far more exciting than any SUV. It probably is more fun to drive, due to the lower center of gravity, and has equal or more space inside. It looks gorgeous too, I checked out an RS6 Performance version at the dealer when we got the S3 kiss Whack in the ABT chip (730hp / 920Nm) and you will overtake almost everything on the autobahn.

I like SUVs more but you are right, from a driving point of view, it would probably be more fun.

The RS6 Performance seems to be pretty color sensitive. I liked the red one a lot but a grey (Daytona...I think) one looked boring. Same goes to black (Mystic Black metallic), they are a bit too shiny (these colors) and a "plain" color seems to look better on the car. Actually, in mystic black metallic, it looked almost like a hoarse. Smiley

The ABT tuning for the RS6 Performance is around 10k EUR over here (incl. install and TÜV), it gives the car 705 hp (100 hp more...) and you can choose a Vmax of 300 or 320 kph (same cost). If you add the ABT sport exhaust, it costs around 13k EUR. With an Akrapovic exhaust, add another 3k or so.

The 735 hp tuning requires a bit more hardware, cost is over 20k EUR in Germany.

As you can see, I did my homework on RS6 tuning (I was curious... Smiley) and yes, it is a very interesting car but since my wife really doesn't like it and I'm not a big station wagon fan either... Smiley Smiley

Let's see what kind of deal the Audi dealer offers, we are still far away from any breakthrough on any car. Smiley

Smiley

--

RC I think the word you were looking for, re. the black wagon, is "hearse" ie. funeral vehicle.  You do occasionally miss your English words.... about once every 5 years....wink  (Unlike most of us who struggle to write one correct sentence in a European language! ) 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

RC I think the word you were looking for, re. the black wagon, is "hearse" ie. funeral vehicle.  You do occasionally miss your English words.... about once every 5 years....wink  (Unlike most of us who struggle to write one correct sentence in a European language! ) 

Oops... Smiley...I thought I wrote hearse??? Smiley Sorry about that. 

Every 5 years? I doubt it, you're too kind but I feel very good now, thanks. Smiley Smiley

--

RS7 Performance then. Nice car. But you dont like sedans. Go for the R8 and dont look back.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Picked up the S3 this evening (what a pocket rocket, vrooom!) and the RS6 Performance was now sold. Grey metallic with white interior. Gorgeous! For CHF 170k indecision

--

Cannot come to terms with dealer, he is asking too much (for both), so... yes

I could of course go to a different dealer outside my town, they have much better offers but this was the whole point, buying locally. Of course I could buy a car in a different city and have it serviced locally but from experience, dealers don't do well with customers who bought somewhere else and I just don't want all that hassle.

Now I kind of lost interest for now... Good for me that I have other stuff to do right now.

--

intouch1:

RS7 Performance then. Nice car. But you dont like sedans. Go for the R8 and dont look back.

RS7? Never ever. No more sedans for me. Only the RS6 Performance would be interesting but the dealers have crazy (different) prices for these cars over here, there is a "gap" of around 20-30k EUR depending on dealerships for basically the same car. Unbelievable! Smiley

--

You could pick up a used RS6 and achieve more performance with ABT. This combination is growing on me, I spotted a few RS6 in Gstaad this weekend, the car has so much presence. But for now there is no need for a ship indecision

--

bluelines:

You could pick up a used RS6 and achieve more performance with ABT. This combination is growing on me, I spotted a few RS6 in Gstaad this weekend, the car has so much presence. But for now there is no need for a ship indecision

I was looking at a used RS6 Performance, there are tons of cars in Germany. However, even comparable cars (low mileage, Dynamic Plus package (very important!!!), similar options, have a price difference of up to 30k(!) EUR and more, which is quite weird. My dealer is on the higher side of the spectrum and he doesn't want to go down. He sold two(!) RS6 Performance in two weeks, so apparently there is a market for this car.

I test-drove the one he wants to sell me and it is an excellent product. The exhaust sound could be a bit louder though but this isn't a problem (there are aftermarket solutions...or just keeping the flaps open). It still sounds lightyears better than my former 991 Turbo S.

The performance improvements with the ABT tuning (705 hp) are not really substantial (merely one second from 0-200 kph and slightly over three seconds from 0-300 kph), the stock car with Dynamic Plus package already does 305 kph (ABT would raise it to 320 kph).

Wonderful car, very nice inside but my wife still hates it ("I will never drive this..." Smiley). Not really a problem (with the wife not driving it, she would drive in it though Smiley) but the dealer asks too much for this car and I really don't want to drive 500 km to get a decent price. Smiley

Also, I still like the R8 V10 Plus more... Smiley

We will see but for now, I'm done negotiating because I have better things to do than to exchange emails and arguments with a local Audi dealer. Smiley I've been there already four times, enough is enough.

--

Patience is a critical component in negotiating.Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

If this was a 991 TTS thread, you'd be burning down the house about 3s difference for 0-300...

TotallySmiley

noone1:

If this was a 991 TTS thread, you'd be burning down the house about 3s difference for 0-300...

I was referring to a family car (RS6 Performance), not a sports car. Smiley Even in my Jeep GC SRT, I rarely encounter a car to be faster on the Autobahn, so the few seconds only matter when I am playing with my "crew" and I guess I wouldn't stand a chance in a Jeep...or even in a RS6 Performance. Smiley

--

nberry:

Patience is a critical component in negotiating.Smiley

I'm afraid they won't go down further. Too many customers, they don't care. Germans hate to invest in stocks, so they put their money into real estate and...cars. Smiley

--

Daily vs Dyno queen indecision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h42dIYRrpCs

Got to love the good old supra! Thats some engine. TTS left it for dead in the beginning.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pwiTELYNw

No idea how the 580 is so slow considering more power, from a roll, and less weight.

Porsche hp = more! indecision

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

Imagine if it had been a white turbo.

simply the best car kiss

noone1:

No idea how the 580 is so slow considering more power, from a roll, and less weight.

The Huracan driver shifted manually...dumb thing to do. Smiley I bet the Turbo S driver was keeping it in auto mode.

Besides that, the new Turbo S is not a slow car at all, it can actually keep up with the Huracan LP610-4 pretty well.

--

RC:

Besides that, the new Turbo S is not a slow car at all, it can actually keep up with the Huracan LP610-4 pretty well.

Yeah, it actually needs something like a GT4 to show the Turbo its limits. Smiley
    --

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

RC:

Yeah, it actually needs something like a GT4 to show the Turbo its limits. Smiley
    --

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Only bluelines' GT4 can do that and only when the Turbo S is stationary. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:

RC:

--

Only bluelines' GT4 can do that and only when the Turbo S is stationary. Smiley Smiley

Well, in free fall they are pretty even. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763887 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436210 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260910 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257867 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82581 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876608 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808570 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM