Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Phone Options

I know this has been discussed with regards to the 997, but I just want to go over it again since I am speccing my Boxster S.

What is available phone-wise? I have the hardback brochure, but dont think it is too clear. Do you need a second SIM or is there an option that allows you to slot your phone into a holder of some kind?

Re: Phone Options

Only option is to get a second sim (or take the sim out of your phone and put it in the telephone unit eachtime you get in the car). This is a real disappointment for a co. that is generally right up there with technologhy - and the use of the MOST digital bus means you can't integrate an aftermarket Bluetooth or hard wired phone kit into it and utilise the speakers etc.

I'm actually getting very tempted to not upgrade the stereo at all and get it all ripped out and a decent stereo/nav/amp/speakers/iPod link put in - but making it look right could be tricky as the surround is that strange silvery effect on the 'S'.

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Only option is to get a second sim (or take the sim out of your phone and put it in the telephone unit eachtime you get in the car). This is a real disappointment for a co. that is generally right up there with technologhy - and the use of the MOST digital bus means you can't integrate an aftermarket Bluetooth or hard wired phone kit into it and utilise the speakers etc.

I'm actually getting very tempted to not upgrade the stereo at all and get it all ripped out and a decent stereo/nav/amp/speakers/iPod link put in - but making it look right could be tricky as the surround is that strange silvery effect on the 'S'.

May the good Lord help you if you have any electrickery gremlins then

If you are going top keep the car for 2 years plus this definitely the best way forward

I don't think I would let ANYONE, other than my Porsche dealer touch, add or alter anything on my Boxster. Even the Tracker will be done by them. I am sure they are accountable to Porsche if they do anything not approved that might cause problems.

Yes it is dissapointing that a company like Porsche are not able to offer other solutions than the current "twin simcard" solution. That being said the solution works perfectly (not in the US sorry) and do really not see why you so many people want to critizise it.

Get a "twin" card from your operator and put it into the sim card holder. Simply just leave it until you sell the car and thats it. With the option you will be able to operate the phone with the stilk on your lefthand side of the steering wheel.

If/when I order a new car I would at any given time order this option, though without the passenger handset which I find ugly and just in the way for the passenger seat.

Just my 2 cents..Thomas

i would have expected bluetooth ..its practical ,along with the twin card.
    bmw and m-b have it.

Quote:
    tso said:Get a "twin" card from your operator

I think that is the issue, in the UK you cant seem to get a second SIM card - at least that is what people are saying.

How much is this option in the Boxster anyway? (without the handset thing)

Vodafone will do it - think that's the only one...

That's what I have heard. Does anyone know if this is still true?

Quote:
    johnny senna said:
    That's what I have heard. Does anyone know if this is still true?

I did enquire and yes, Vodafone do do a duplicate SIM card. Unfortunately although I am having PCM + nav my use of a cellphone is limited so the red pen went through the telephone module option when I realised how much I was spending! I will just have to get used to the buttons that do nothing. It can always be retrofitted, I believe.

Thanks dreamcar.

Quote:
    Martin Tyler said:
    Quote:
    tso said:Get a "twin" card from your operator

I think that is the issue, in the UK you cant seem to get a second SIM card - at least that is what people are saying.

How much is this option in the Boxster anyway? (without the handset thing)

PCM including DVD navigation is Pounds1815
    Telephone module for PCM is Pounds523
    Passive handset is Pounds142

Does the TV option from the Cayenne work in the Boxsters PCM?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:PCM including DVD navigation is Pounds1815
    Telephone module for PCM is Pounds523
    Passive handset is Pounds142

Thanks, so by that I assume you need PCM to get the phone stuff?

I think i'll just stick to not answering the phone in the car

Yes, telephone module is an add-on for PCM. but page 83 of the hardback brochure mentions the option of telephone preparation, where the integrated antenna, wiring loom and attachment console for a phone can be pre-installed. This is not in the price list I have from my dealer. It might be worth asking your dealer about it.

Quote:
    RichJ said:

until now ,it is not available neither in boxster nor in 911 ,and thats weird because they all use the same pcm.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

until now ,it is not available neither in boxster nor in 911 ,and thats weird because they all use the same pcm.

Err not quite sure why anyone would want TV in a sports car

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

Err not quite sure why anyone would want TV in a sports car

i agree ,even if it was available i wouldnt order it

Having already ordered PCM, because I wanted navigation, I have decided to add the telephone module to it - if only because I don't like buttons that do nothing and I suppose it is useful. All I now need to decide is whether to get a second SIM card or a pay as you go one. Probably the latter.

Go dreamcar!

Are there any options you haven't specced yet

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Go dreamcar!

Are there any options you haven't specced yet

My discipline isn't very good, is it? Well sport chrono because of that naff gargoyle, and I have to admit I wasn't tempted to spend Pounds5k on PCCB or Pounds1600 on adaptive seats which sound like can cause you to crash when your knee presses the memory buttons on the door. Painted rear section of centre console because that will help finance the telephone module. Don't fancy wood, can't afford carbon.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    and I have to admit I wasn't tempted to spend Pounds5k on PCCB or Pounds1600 on adaptive seats which sound like can cause you to crash when your knee presses the memory buttons on the door.

Not everyone likes Clarkson but I creased up when he was driving the 997 after having accidently hit the memory seat buttons - I assume you caught that..? Topgear's one of the few things on TV that actually make me laugh out loud

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:Not everyone likes Clarkson but I creased up when he was driving the 997 after having accidently hit the memory seat buttons - I assume you caught that..? Topgear's one of the few things on TV that actually make me laugh out loud

That bit was funny, but generally i find his humour gets tired after all the years of his wildly irrelevant analogies.

He went on an on about the looks-the-same stuff, and then later the confusion over new/old models (which you just know him and hammond probably understand inside out). On 5th gear Tiff made a quick joke about the looks at the start and then got on with it - much better.

I notice clarkson didnt comment that the 430 looks very similar to the 360

I wanted to tape Tiff last night but my Sony video recorder decided to retune all its programmes and dropped off the satellite channel (we can't get C5 on terrestrial). Still he is on again tonight at 7:30 so I will try again. The only problem with Tiff's test was that it wasn't long enough.

Quote:
    tso said:
    Yes it is dissapointing that a company like Porsche are not able to offer other solutions than the current "twin simcard" solution. That being said the solution works perfectly (not in the US sorry) and do really not see why you so many people want to critizise it.

Get a "twin" card from your operator and put it into the sim card holder. Simply just leave it until you sell the car and thats it. With the option you will be able to operate the phone with the stilk on your lefthand side of the steering wheel.

If/when I order a new car I would at any given time order this option, though without the passenger handset which I find ugly and just in the way for the passenger seat.

Just my 2 cents..Thomas

Don't bother with a second SIM card, not worth the hassle. Just had a conversation with Vodafone. The second SIM, known as a "MultiSIM" option costs an additional Pounds7 pe month whatever tariff you are on. And every time you want to use the second SIM you have to enter a code to do it. Much simpler just to have a pay as you go SIM and simply divert your calls from the main mobile number. Even Vodafone don't recommend the second SIM option!

Just as I thought the french were hard to deal with...Vodafone no thanks

Just got back from the dealers - well I was in the area so HAD to call in. They say they've succesfully had aftermarket bluetooth systems installed attached to the MOST headunits/PCM systems, phone mute and voice through the std speakers. They're going to talk to the guy who installs them for them to find out more for me, but may be a solution folks...?

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Just got back from the dealers - well I was in the area so HAD to call in. They say they've succesfully had aftermarket bluetooth systems installed attached to the MOST headunits/PCM systems, phone mute and voice through the std speakers. They're going to talk to the guy who installs them for them to find out more for me, but may be a solution folks...?

Not for me Rich! I've already spent far too much money on my toy. I will go with pay-as-u-go SIM for how much I will use a phone in the car.
    On the subject of Chapelgate, had my invite to the launch bash on 23rd so see you there. How do you mean "in the area" is that just Dorset? mind they don't charge you for wearing out that tin 'n tinsel revolving door.

Actually it was quite a realistic 'in the area', we'd been in Bournemouth for the day (can't beleive it's almost Nov and we've just about completed our Xmas shopping!).

Went in to hae a play with PCM, considering this as obviouslyhave some 'spare' change now have decided not to go for Cobalt. We'll see. But if I go for a phone set up I'd want Bluetooth for me, hey I work for one of the big phone manufacturers so ought to have the technology somewhere.

Got my invite for the 23rd too, hope to be there but I may have to go to Dublin that week - bummer.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778040 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442021 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262939 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261182 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85441 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5692 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880851 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816421 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM