Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Here is Jeremy Clarkston review of the 997

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1311543,00.html

Re: Here is Jeremy Clarkston review of the 997

Here's the problem with car reviewers: 50% of Clarkson's review had absolutely nothing to do with the car itself. There was more fluff in that review than there is in my pillows. I've never said if I like the 997 or not so don't let my opinion of his opinion of the car be an indicator of why I don't like his review, but as a pure car review, this was horrible.

That being said, I'll open the floors to the usual Nick vs. the world debates about Porsche.

Actually, why don't I make it easier on everyone and just act out the debate now:

Nick: Porsche makes too many cars, they all look the same, they depreciate.

Everyone else: Ferraris are for poseurs.

Repeat until god knows when

Give it up.

Re: Here is Jeremy Clarkston review of the Fort GT

Nick, did you notice these comments about the Ford GT vs. the F360?

"But while this Ford can outpower a Ferrari in a straight line, you'd expect Italy's finest to win it all back in the turns. And you'd be wrong. The Ford is so reassuring on the limit and the Ferrari so twitchy, the GT is quicker here too. And it's got better brakes."

"The Ferrari has an infinitely more classy cabin than the spartan mess that passes for the Ford's interior; it has a more rewarding gearbox, an engine noise to die for and the most coveted badge of any car. To me, however, it's not enough. In all those areas where you'd expect a Ferrari to be inviolate, be it speed, looks or the entire on-road driving experience, this Ford outclasses it."

Here we go again : In the beginning Hitler's arse-engined sports cars were an ill-conceived idea..

The article doesn't say anything.
    This guy knows the art of telling absolutely NOTHING with many many words. I guess this requires talent too.
    He's probably paid per word, this is why he writes that much without telling anything. Maybe reporting about gardening would be more appropriate for this guy.

I also became tired of the initial drivel but in the end he praises the 997. Read the last 1/3 of the article.

Classic Jeremy....and Nick...he likes the car...or did that escape you?

"As a lesson in the exercise of engineering over flawed design it's a triumph. So, if you want to go very, very fast on one of those incredible Scottish roads, this would be right up there with the best of the Ferraris (for Nick those are the cars with the Engines by Maserati)...But unlike the usual exotica (here Nick I think he means Ferrari's), this car would also, just about, be comfortable enough for the drive to and from the Highlands as well

Go. It'd be worth it because I now reckon the best view of the world would be Scotland, seen through the windscreen of this remarkable (yes Nick he said remarkable....this is Jeremy "Ferrari is a downsized version of God" Clarkson) new car."

I think nberry and Clarkston are relatives...I watched a short movie made by Clarkston where he tries to kill 911. In the end he suceeds by burning it I think, enough said...

Clarkson is funny. And sometimes repetitive
    I like how his articles are 75% anything else but car reviews

But the 25% that's left was only praises for the Carrera S, which, considering his past, is quite an achievement ..

See, nick? Even Clarkson has embraced the nazi ass-engined car

well ,he praised a lot for the 997 ,and ,he placed it better than the ferrari that cost double..even when the real chalenger is a 911 turbo for modena ,and a gt2 for a 430..

As soon as you saw the words Clarkson, Berry and 997 in the same post you knew what was coming......

Please note, CLARKSON is a comedy writer who happens to like cars, he dislikes the 911 purely because of the position of the engine, often funny but what he says is to be taken with a large pinch of salt. He is a clown. Have you ever seen him with a crash helmet on??!! CLOWN

And he is getting one of the first Ford GT's in this Country, now he's deserted Ferrari.

Even so, he still likes the car.

Clarksons Top Gear is on this sunday and reviewing the 997 ,hopefully his co-host Richard Hammond drives the 997 as he loves porsches.Also the day after on monday evening Fifth Gear is also reviewing 997 and Tiff Nidell is driving i beleive.

Quote:
    Ando said:
    As soon as you saw the words ClHe is a clown. Have you ever seen him with a crash helmet on??!! CLOWN

In defense for Clarkson, there is a good reason for that, did you ever see a helmet big enough for his head?

Really, Clarkson is to cars what the national inquirer or hello magazine is to newspapers. He is a showman, don't take him seriously, even if he praises a Porsche model or whatever, its pure entertainment not didactic. Although some people sometimes fail to see the difference or just don't know better, kind of funny.

Quote:
    robbo said:Also the day after on monday evening Fifth Gear is also reviewing 997 and Tiff Nidell is driving i beleive.

Now there is a pro at the wheel who has something to say and talks about the stuff that we sportcar enthusiasts really want to know. Tiff is the man

I will be keeping an eye on it, I didn't know it was this coming week's show that they were also testing the 997 thats a very important review for the 997, it better do well

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Clarksons Top Gear is on this sunday and reviewing the 997 ,hopefully his co-host Richard Hammond drives the 997 as he loves porsches.Also the day after on monday evening Fifth Gear is also reviewing 997 and Tiff Nidell is driving i beleive.

Correct Robbo, Fifth gear is next Monday (25th) on Channel Five at 8.30pm (BST) and Tiff (the wheel waggler) is doing the test. Didn't know about Top Gear one though, I take it thats the first in the new series? Or have I missed one!

Quote:
    mapes said:
    I also became tired of the initial drivel but in the end he praises the 997. Read the last 1/3 of the article.

I know but I still don't like his writing style.
    And I wonder why british car journalists (and ONLY them) always make allusions regarding other nations and people.
    One british car journalist compared the Cayenne to a WWII german tank, ugly but very functional. Another one praised the german nazi past for the current car building skills and one speculated that Porsche probably has chosen the name "911" for their top model, so that American customers, who are of course too dumb to drive such a car, know what emergency number to call in the case of an accident.

Sorry guys, I don't like this style. Cars don't have anything to do with politics or nations.

Quote:
    RC said:
    ... Another one praised the german nazi past for the current car building skills and one speculated that Porsche probably has chosen the name "911" for their top model, so that American customers, who are of course too dumb to drive such a car, know what emergency number to call in the case of an accident. ...

How stupid can that british car journalist be? The 911 preceeded the American 911 emergency number by about 15 years.

RC,

I couldnt agree more, his comments that relate to the history of Germany not only not polight but are on the edge of insulting many many people...he shouldnt make the reference he did.

but then on another hand I remember nberry saying that he is mad about Porsche because its missrepresenting Germany and German people by making bad cars...as I said Jeremy and nberry have a lot in common...

Ahh the Poms (that be the British, or more accurately the English) have yet to really get over losing the Empire....

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    How stupid can that british car journalist be? The 911 preceeded the American 911 emergency number by about 15 years.

vtrader, I think it was meant as a joke...

Clarkson's humour needs an open mind
    He's a genius of entertainment, but he's not to be taken seriously when talking about cars.

Exactly ,Clarkson has that dry,sarcastic sense of humour that only fellow Englishmen seem to appreciate

you guys read to much the actual words and fail to see the humour. I think the guys is brilliant. How many car journalist fill pages and pages of facts without having an any meaningful opinion because they dont want to be seem critical in the eye of the OEMs. if you want facts read the marketing books.

P.S. then you guys must also really hate his Top Gear TV show...

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    P.S. then you guys must also really hate his Top Gear TV show...

Don't get me wrong, I don't miss a show, its very funny, but thats it, I don't take what he says seriously or give any credit to it, the guy is funny and I really get a kick form his humor but I view it as a sort of "car sit-com"

Quote:
    robbo said:

lucky you, is there anyway we can see those on the internet??? I would like to see them

Raz you missed the boat on this one. I honestly don't care what Jeremy wrote about the 997. I was only providing information.

However I find it interesting that every conceivable evil motive is attributed to me in posting the article.

My view is he likes the car performance but it offers nothing interesting by way of styling. But of course we knew that already.

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    lucky you, is there anyway we can see those on the internet??? I would like to see them

Andrew, you can download both Top Gear and Fifth Gear shows from the eMule or Bittorrent P2P programs.

I just watched Clarkson's short feature on "How to Kill a 911". Very funny stuff indeed.

So Nick you are from the Style over Substance school I see...

Quote:
    BMCG said:
    So Nick you are from the Style over Substance school I see...

One thing wrong with that statement is that it could be misconstrued to mean that Nick knows when soemething represents "style".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752839 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430501 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258481 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255409 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868091 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801669 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM