Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

Regarding the rear window, I think the glass roof option greatly improves both the interior atmosphere and the exterior appearance.  I will try to get a better pic tomorrow of the glass roof.

And Boytronic, I am almost 6' and had no issue with headroom.  But legroom is moderately tight, and getting in and out will take practice.  Boots are large sole shoes are definitely not advised..

Wonderbar:

Not sure, but I think I remember several RT members calling the Taycan a baby Panamera.  No matter CGX, you have the correct image in mind.  A slightly longer 992 with more aggressive styling.  

Regarding the constant Tesla/Taycan debate, which I never ascribed to, the two cars are unmistakably  different in appearance.  One is an attractive sedan (IMHO) and the other is a truly modern and powerful looking sportscar.

I pointedly asked several Porsche representatives if the Taycan were designed as a Tesla beater. The consistent, and I believe honest, answer was no.  The Taycan was designed as a Porsche first and foremost, and as a modern extension of Porsche models, engineering, race heritage and "soul".  One high level marketing representative went out of his. way to credit Tesla for creating a revolutionary breakthrough in electric mobility, and that the Taycan would not have been at the Show today but for the innovative and clear success of Tesla.

One has stated numerous times that Tesla, as a company, is an innovator.  The issue that one has relating with Tesla is with Musk and his desire for complete dominance over the company.  He is doing more harm than good; however, that is the way he has operated for decades, even before PayPal.  He has made strategic decisions that have put the company down technological deadends and the reason one believes the company is grossly overvalued.  

Contrary to the musing of media, there will never be a Tesla-killing product.  Instead, newer entrants into the EV space will nibble away at the fringes of Tesla's current market dominance.  One has already written about Musk and how he destroyed the company's ability to earn abnormal rents through its pricing strategy.  A vehicle is not a consumer electronics device and its price should not be reduced; normal depreciation already hampers the value of the vehicle especially when combined with an underlining loan that so many households require to fund a purchase.  More sophisticated manufacturers price that price decrease from the experience or learning curve in its initial pricing models.  

Finally, one found humor in a post about the new Volkswagen ID.3, where a poster was complaining that his Chrysler Pacifica minivan only had one OTA update over the past sixteen months while his Tesla had about twenty updates over the same timeframe.  He had problems ascertaining that this isn't a benefit since Tesla is rolling less-developed product into the marketplace.  

Wonderbar:

Regarding the rear window, I think the glass roof option greatly improves both the interior atmosphere and the exterior appearance.  I will try to get a better pic tomorrow of the glass roof.

And Boytronic, I am almost 6' and had no issue with headroom.  But legroom is moderately tight, and getting in and out will take practice.  Boots are large sole shoes are definitely not advised..

Many thanks for your time and help Wonderbar! I definitely need to see and try it in person but I greatly appreciate your effort...  :)

A separate question - in the Jalopnik article I saw the battery pack is removable, perhaps for warranty / problems. If the Warranty guarantees only 70% battery power (minimum) after 8 years, is it fair to say the maximum driving range could reduce by up to 30% over the first 8 years of ownership? In some EV cars you lease the battery, but in Taycan’s case replacing the battery to get full driving range after X years could be prohibitively expensive. Just thinking about long term ownership. 

Sorry, I have left the show and headed back to the USA. Maybe someone else can answer your question, probably now on the Taycan thread👍

boytronic:
    Wonderbar:

Many thanks for your time and help Wonderbar! I definitely need to see and try it in person but I greatly appreciate your effort...  :)

A separate question - in the Jalopnik article I saw the battery pack is removable, perhaps for warranty / problems. If the Warranty guarantees only 70% battery power (minimum) after 8 years, is it fair to say the maximum driving range could reduce by up to 30% over the first 8 years of ownership? In some EV cars you lease the battery, but in Taycan’s case replacing the battery to get full driving range after X years could be prohibitively expensive. Just thinking about long term ownership. 

Honestly, all EV cars' batteries are removable. They all are mounted from the bottom so it's basically like dropping the engine.

The other part of the story is that DO NOT BUY a EV car. Lease it. There is no point getting stuck with old technology. EV cars are not like fridges where they stay the same for decades, literally they are like cell phones. So Never think long term on EV cars. Yes there are softwares updates but the car is still full of hardware, and those hardwares are the stuff you don't want to be stuck with.

Elon knows this in the first place so for the longest time Teslas are cash buy or finances. Now they have the lease option  but the the other owners are stuck with the car.

--

Whoopsy:
    boytronic:
    Wonderbar:

Honestly, all EV cars' batteries are removable. They all are mounted from the bottom so it's basically like dropping the engine.

The other part of the story is that DO NOT BUY a EV car. Lease it. There is no point getting stuck with old technology. EV cars are not like fridges where they stay the same for decades, literally they are like cell phones. So Never think long term on EV cars. Yes there are softwares updates but the car is still full of hardware, and those hardwares are the stuff you don't want to be stuck with.

Elon knows this in the first place so for the longest time Teslas are cash buy or finances. Now they have the lease option  but the the other owners are stuck with the car.

According to @AukeHoekstra VW claims that the production costs of batteries are about 180€ /kWh . Resale price will be considerably higher of course.  In addition to that, replacing the battery in the future will likely require a new battery mgmt unit and other electronics plus all the work needed. I'm with Nick, if you want an EV and care about the cash, lease it, because the car will be old tech in 3 years.  As an example, my P100D lost at least 60k€ in 10 month. On another note leasing rates at Porsche approach 5%, which is no fun either.   

schmoell:
    Whoopsy:
    boytronic:
    Wonderbar:

According to @AukeHoekstra VW claims that the production costs of batteries are about 180€ /kWh . Resale price will be considerably higher of course.  In addition to that, replacing the battery in the future will likely require a new battery mgmt unit and other electronics plus all the work needed. I'm with Nick, if you want an EV and care about the cash, lease it, because the car will be old tech in 3 years.  As an example, my P100D lost at least 60k€ in 10 month. On another note leasing rates at Porsche approach 5%, which is no fun either.   

Forgot where I read or found it, but there is a report saying VAG battery cost is approaching USD$100 per kWh.

--

Whoopsy:
    boytronic:
    Wonderbar:

👍👍👍😎

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

My understanding is, that  $100/kWh is what VW thinks they can achieve when mass-producing batteries and that this figure does not include packaging 

I mustn’t have missed it and always thought it was a 4 seater but there is a ‘4+1’ option. Not great but it works for short distances. 

Is there a way to upload photos form the local iPhone library?

neunelf:

Is there a way to upload photos form the local iPhone library?

You can easily upload photos from your iPhone library... Smiley

You can even use your iPhone smileys if you like them better.

Only problem (sometimes): Photos uploaded from an iPhone/iPad get "turned" by 90°, don't have a clue why but this seem to be a common error.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Only problem (sometimes): Photos uploaded from an iPhone/iPad get "turned" by 90°, don't have a clue why but this seem to be a common error.

All photos taken in portrait mode will tilt 90 degrees on here. Photos taken in landscape will show up like they were intended.

General rule of thumb is that landscape in 99% of cases is the preferred choice when taking car photos. When I see pictures taken in portrait mode it is an eye sore, just as bad as those people who insist to film in portrait mode Smiley

On the topic of repeatability I'm a bit curious why Porsche state the following : "The specified power is available for at least 10 seconds and the specific overboost with standard launch control last for at least 2.5 seconds" following by "the maximum power required to achieve the specified acceleration values can be repeatably produced, but usually not consecutively"

Taycan Turbo S is specified at 625hp and with overboost 761hp. To me this indicates that they limit the power output if the drivetrain is abused over the specified threshold of overboost? So repeatability is only possible within the limits of overboost?

Anyone who have more insight into this?

Maybe it means you should not keep pushing the overboost button almost continuously (“consecutively”)?

lukestern:
    RC:

All photos taken in portrait mode will tilt 90 degrees on here. Photos taken in landscape will show up like they were intended.

General rule of thumb is that landscape in 99% of cases is the preferred choice when taking car photos. When I see pictures taken in portrait mode it is an eye sore, just as bad as those people who insist to film in portrait mode Smiley

x2 same!

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Doh, I used the icon above. Anyway here’s the back bench with the optional 4+1 package. Maybe I’m the only one who didn’t get it but I thought there was only a 4 seater version.

Bonus shots of the lights which I think look much sharper then anything Porsche ever released.

FDB16783-BA2E-4127-803A-B423F940BF9B.jpegACA9C7E1-4906-4A37-9BEF-ADA2659A5534.jpeg
    2FA3E6AE-9C1B-4F23-A246-189CF04495E5.jpegal 

Yes, the red Taycan with black wheels looks amazing. Thanks. kiss

--

The black or satin Mission-E wheels would def. be my choice. Looks great with the big calipers. I would avoid the white Mission-E wheels though. Think they look a bit OTT with that white outer lip.

Wonderbar:

Maybe it means you should not keep pushing the overboost button almost continuously (“consecutively”)?

That sounds logic to some extent, but I thought that the overboost was independent of pushing the button or not Smiley

At least the Taycan Turbo, doesn't come with the mode switch (sport chrono) as standard and hence there is no button to push for the overboost.

I however just found it strange that Porsche talk so much about the repeatability in their marketing and then they come up with those disclaimers and limitations that are contradicting those marketing claims to some extent.

Are you sure the Taycan Turbo without sport chrono does not have overbook button?

RED colour looks amazing!  very colour sensitive car shape

I’m usually not a fan of red limousines but felt that the Taycan looked stunning. To my eyes the Panamera looks dated inside and out next to the new model. 

The Porsche Taycan will be Hennessey’s first ever tuned EV

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/porsche-taycan-will-be-hennesseys-first-ever-tuned-ev

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I do love the watches thread....

Porsche's expertise in tuning the braking system shows. 

Blending regen braking with physical braking is not easy, literally this is all from the 918 and spent the last  5 years perfecting.

Taycan can do well over 250kw capture, Tesla, any one of them, can do maybe 50kw max on throttle lifts. The moment one touches the brakes on a Tesla it's the physical brakes. 

--

I am not sure if I am allowed in this forum to link to an other forum but this is intresting. The Taycanforum hase made a link to all Taycan reviews up to now. Reading this I am very happy, can't to recieve my Taycan Turbo (should be in Q1 2020)

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/2020-porsche-taycan-reviews-compilation.590/

JR-550:

I am not sure if I am allowed in this forum to link to an other forum but this is intresting. The Taycanforum hase made a link to all Taycan reviews up to now. Reading this I am very happy, can't to recieve my Taycan Turbo (should be in Q1 2020)

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/2020-porsche-taycan-reviews-compilation.590/

Thank you for sharing Smiley

Taycan = another top Porsche

"....can't wait to receive my Taycan Turbo" , I presume. Your omission shows how excited you are SmileySmiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762210 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435224 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260451 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257510 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80925 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM