Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

strange insurance quotes for 997s in uk

Hi guys i am awaiting my 997s, so i am in the process of trying to find the best insurance quote for me(36 year old male with clean licence and 12years no claims discount,living in a quiet area 30 miles outside London.)This is to be my first Porsche and have been rather suprised by the difficulty in getting insurance at a reasonable price.Many large insurance companies i have phoned have said thy dont insure cars over the value of Pounds50,000,while others have said they will insure me at a price, but the car must have a tracker fitted.I dont know if its because the 997s has a bigger engine than a gt3 but two companies i have phoned wanted Pounds1500 fully comrehensive insurance for a 997s yet they would insure me on a 996gt3 or turbo for Pounds1100 Can anyone explain this bullshit and for all you uk guys, who are you insured with?

Re: strange insurance quotes for 997s in uk

I don't think that's a lot for a comprehensive cover. In Switzerland I have to pay about the same. Including Parkschaden (which pays for damage caused when your car is parked somewhere) you pay even more. At least here you can have a change_over_plate. You put the plate on the car you drive (of course only one at a time) and you only pay for one car (of course the more expensive, max. of 3).

Would be interesting to compare the different countries.

Sorry robbo! That doesn't help you at all. Just good to see you are not alone.

My 997 is due in January and I haven't sorted the insurance yet, but having had similar problems with my old 996s I now deal through a broker called Peart Associates

http://www.peart.co.uk/

These guys managed to get me a far more reasonable quote when others said as they did to you either no quote over Pounds50k value or ridiculous premiums.

HOWEVER, I don't think that the quote you've had is too unreasonable. I live in Notting Hill and despite having a locked and patrolled garage will be pleased to get away with around Pounds2,000 a year despite being mid-30s and having a full no claims and a clean licence.

I can imagine I could end up parting with the best part of Pounds3000 for cover.

As for the 996 being cheaper I think that probably represents a reasonable premium for the desireability factor in terms of theft and the fact that on initial production runs parts availability in crash situations makes repair and incidental costs more expensive.

Robbo,
    My 997S is due in the next three weeks from Chiswick and I too have been calling around on the insurance trail!
    With my previous 996 and my Boxsters before that I was with Liverpool/Victoria. I used to be with Privilege but L/V beat them easily one year.
    I am in a similar position to you, I live in Herts. about 15 miles from London, the car is kept in an alarmed garage but I am 42 (that might help a bit) and advanced driver trained with the police (some companies give a bit for that), i have max NCD. You are right about the Pounds50k thing, 80% of companies don't want to know straight away.
    Privilege wanted Pounds950 with Pounds700 xs and insisted on Tracker.
    L/V wanted Pounds1055 with Pounds500 xs (their maximum) but don't want Tracker at all. Obviously Tracker is going to cost over Pounds300 to fit, then maintainance of course. It may be that I still get Tracker installed anyway but thats another debate)
    Both companies had problems finding the 997 on their systems (this was 2 weeks ago) but both quotes are guaranteed for 60 days.
    From what I remember L/V have a good policy aswell so I'll probably go with them.
    Try both, good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Andy

Further to the above; both companies said that when I had an actual registration for the car the quote may come down a bit, they should have the car on the system by then!
    Have you guys specc'd the phone? Don't know whether you saw my recent post but I'm trying to get round to requirement for swapping the sim card around all the time?? Limited options at the moment, looks like going for a cheap 'pay as you go' and diverting calls at the moment, not ideal when you need to make lots of calls!

Cheers for responses guys ,Ando thanks for your help will certainly try your suggestion tomorrow. I have ordered the phone and am basically gonna order a "pay as you go" sim too unless 02 will sought me out a second sim,i still have till december so will wait and see.Thanks again

Thanks for the pointers about insurance companies, I am on Pounds957 with privilege with a Protected no claims(Only Pounds100 more than my XK8 Cab with Churchill), but Liverpool Vic will not quote since they do not have the car on their system yet, still waiting for Peart to get back to me.

Will any of these companies give a NCD on more than one car?
    Zurich will but their initial, albeit indicative quote is silly money. Also, we have had a couple of non-fault accidents, all sorted, excess refunded by third parties but they tell me that that still counts against? Any more than two NON-FAULT claims in 5 years and they won't entertain a group 20 car?

I live in London and have been trying to get a garage in which to put the 997. However, when I phoned my insurance company (Egg) to ask them how much this would reduce my premium (currently estimated to be around Pounds2k) they said that it would reduce it by Pounds16!!! How ridiculous is that?

Have found Tesco's to be very competitive - was thinking along the 911 lines a couple of times os got a couple of quotes before deciding on going for the Boxster again. Cover seems good (had it before but never needed to use it (thank god)) although they do insist on Tracker - had the Monitor on my old Boxster but for a friends CLK AMG they insisted on the Horizon system. But thy were so much cheaper than anyone else that it made financial sense too despite the tracker.

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Cheers for responses guys ,Ando thanks for your help will certainly try your suggestion tomorrow. I have ordered the phone and am basically gonna order a "pay as you go" sim too unless 02 will sought me out a second sim,i still have till december so will wait and see.Thanks again

Robbo

I have a Vodafone dual sim, which gives me two sim cards on the same line although I've heard that they're not giving these out anymore. My problem is that actually when the 997 arrives I will need 3 as my X5 has the professional phone kit which needs a sim card, so will the 997 and I need a mobile. It becomes ridiculous. I don't understand why Porsche can't do a bluetooth kit like everyone else.

Quote:
    senator said:
    Quote:
    robbo said:

Robbo

I have a Vodafone dual sim, which gives me two sim cards on the same line although I've heard that they're not giving these out anymore. My problem is that actually when the 997 arrives I will need 3 as my X5 has the professional phone kit which needs a sim card, so will the 997 and I need a mobile. It becomes ridiculous. I don't understand why Porsche can't do a bluetooth kit like everyone else.

Pounds550 seems a shed load of money for the "telephone module". Why do you go for it?

Hi Dreamcar went for the phone as think its something people expect in aPounds70,000 car these days,i will also use it myself .I ordered Nav too(again something people now expect) so i think the phone ties in nicely with it on the central display screen.With regards to the sim cards it really is a pain that phone companies will not send second or even third sims(Senator ) out readily.
    Insurance companies that i have had best quotes from are Norwich Union direct,First Alternative and Privelege.

I am having navigation in the Boxster but as I have very limited phone use in the car I probably won't have the telephone module. Mildly annoying that various buttons on the PCM won't work, I suppose. I agree with you that nav is becoming more and more expected these days, possibly more so in the 997 than the Boxster, especially when Renault, Toyota etc offer it as standard in some Laguna's and Avensis.
    On insurance I will certainly be shopping around, Zurich don't seem to be into high group cars. Not a high demand in Bangalore

I have just had a day on insurance, but since I reckon to have saved Pounds500 it is well spent, beating Churchill by Pounds500, Tesco by over Pounds200, and Priviledge by Pounds100, the winner is Peart (the brokers which were recommended by Senator -Thanks ) Pounds932 for me (Everybody wants a tracker and not just the basic model either!).

Thanks for the info. I will use your list when the time comes. Zurich's initial quote, albeit indicative, was Pounds1,200 for a Boxster "s" value Pounds47k. 6000 miles/yr, garaged, myself and wife, max NCD, no fault claims, 2 non-fault. Protected NCD + legal cover. Low risk area. And they also cover my car, my wife's car, home and contents. Boxster would be additional car.

Hi guys just phoned Norwich Union Direct,and they made me happy Pounds1125 fully comp,but Pounds700 excess,but NO tracker required(just thatcham 1 alarm /immobilizer required)which i presume is standard on the 997s.Speaking on the phone to the lady and i said you sound distant and she said "yes we are based in India now "

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Thanks for the info. I will use your list when the time comes. Zurich's initial quote, albeit indicative, was Pounds1,200 for a Boxster "s" value Pounds47k. 6000 miles/yr, garaged, myself and wife, max NCD, no fault claims, 2 non-fault. Protected NCD + legal cover. Low risk area. And they also cover my car, my wife's car, home and contents. Boxster would be additional car.

Only 6000 miles a year!!!! Got to get the car out more than that when you get it!!!

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Only 6000 miles a year!!!! Got to get the car out more than that when you get it!!!

Hopefully Rich! But will not be a work car either for my wife or me, so no commmuting mileage. Turning up in a shipyard with such a toy would get some unwanted negative vibes - particularly when I am not a senior member of staff there. And then there is the rush hour grind into Southampton! Plan to do some touring in it, starting with Yorkshire in June. Some weekends away as well. Hopefully when a few of us "Rennteamers" get our cars we can arrange some social meets. And there is always the Owners Club. I will start with 6,000 miles can always adjust later.

anyone tried elephant.co.uk?
    i think on a car like this you are always going to be looking at a Pounds1000 to Pounds2500 quote!

For those that do not live in England, what is a tracker?

Like LoJack.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned porsche insurance, who I found to be good as they quoted Pounds1200 for both me and the wife ( and yes -just in case we at a party ! ) and I also have a few points on the licence from low speed camers before I got a snooper - - no alarm needed either

Quote:
    Raven said:
    I live in London and have been trying to get a garage in which to put the 997. However, when I phoned my insurance company (Egg) to ask them how much this would reduce my premium (currently estimated to be around Pounds2k) they said that it would reduce it by Pounds16!!! How ridiculous is that?

That is BONKERS!!

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Hi Dreamcar went for the phone as think its something people expect in aPounds70,000 car these days,i will also use it myself .I ordered Nav too(again something people now expect) so i think the phone ties in nicely with it on the central display screen.With regards to the sim cards it really is a pain that phone companies will not send second or even third sims(Senator ) out readily.
    Insurance companies that i have had best quotes from are Norwich Union direct,First Alternative and Privelege.

Absolutely right Robbo. People do do expect phone and nav in 911's. I sold my previous 996 cab in August to make way for the 997 and I had problems because it didn't have nav & phone, loads of people didn't even come to see it because of that despite it being an immaculate, low mileage and (otherwise) well spec'd car. In my previous experience with Boxsters people aren't really bothered and this is reflected in the price difference between those with and those without at Porsche dealers.

Guys

Try ATS Insurance 0870 024 2464 - they've quoted Pounds1200 for me - I live in Herts, car will be garaged, 33 years old, full no claims but speeding conviction.. so not too bad... will try Peart though as well.

Rgds
    Prashan

C2S Due March 2005.
    Seal Grey/Ocean Blue

Quote:
    Prashan said:
    Guys

Try ATS Insurance 0870 024 2464 - they've quoted Pounds1200 for me - I live in Herts, car will be garaged, 33 years old, full no claims but speeding conviction.. so not too bad... will try Peart though as well.

Rgds
    Prashan

C2S Due March 2005.
    Seal Grey/Ocean Blue

Not bad that Prashan, do they require Tracker?

ATS are quite incosistent when it comes to Trackers - BMW 330Ci COnv in 2002, yes, they wanted a Tracker. The same car but a SPORT model in 2003, they didn't. I recently got a quote for a 1.8 SLK Merc and they wanted a Tracker... so, I have to assume Yes for the 997... but in March 2005, one never knows...

Rgds
    Prashan

Ando
    - please explain the thats BONKERS reply ? As the information is factul and true !!

Quote:
    stone said:
    Ando
    - please explain the thats BONKERS reply ? As the information is factul and true !!

Im sure it is factual and true but I meant that it sounds crazy that the difference between having a garage and not in central London can only be Pounds16 pounds, one would have thought that the discount would have been significantly more if someone makes the effort to get their car off the street??

PS I tried your Porsche Insurance recommendation (underwritten by Norwich Union) and they were about Pounds700 more than my best quote so far, worth a try though.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM