Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AMG Says Next-Gen Sports Cars Will Be Less Noisy

Sometime soon, whether you slip into your new Mercedes-AMG or spot one cruising past, it may sound a bit different – at least from the outside. Thanks to new European regulations, exhaust notes are getting quieter, and not even AMG’s burly performance cars, nor its competitors, can avoid them. And that involves AMG cars outside Europe, too

In an interview with Motoring, Bastian Bogenschutz, Mercedes-AMG’s head of product planning for compact cars, told the publication all markets are affected by Europe’s legislative changes. It’s too expensive to design specific exhausts for each individual market. That includes the U.S., which means AMG’s other means of auditory delivery will have to suffice. The regulations are also getting more stringent about every two years, which further complicates the problem.

Two of the first vehicles these new regulations are quieting is the 2020 Mercedes-AMG A 45 S and 2020 Mercedes-AMG CLA 45 S, which also happen to pack what Mercedes calls the world’s most powerful four-cylinder engine. European regulators don’t want you to hear it. However, thanks to technology, and the dissatisfaction of some, AMG is countering the new regulations by enhancing the in-cabin exhaust note. The company added the AMG pure performance sound, which takes the real exhaust sound and moves it inside.

In-car audio systems mimicking exhaust and engine noises aren’t new, as are other creative ways to enhance the driving experience. And it’s not an ideal solution either, but it’s better than nothing. While European regulations will quiet future AMG vehicles, the robust aftermarket scene should provide plenty of solutions to rectify the quietness. Sound is a visceral part of the driving experience, and nothing beats a series of loud pops, burbles, and wails from the a stellar exhaust system. But times are changing, which means there are new regulations automakers have to follow.

Re: AMG Says Next-Gen Sports Cars Will Be Less Noisy

Well... Smiley It was to be expected.

Right now, everyone cares about the environment, emissions and noise levels. Five years ago, apparently nobody really cared. Smiley Well, not really but you get my point. The media has brainwashed people in Europe, people feel the necessity of driving quieter cars, having a quieter life and there is even a unicorn somewhere at the horizon. Smiley Smiley

Bottom line is: Game over for sound fetishists and if you think that "old(er" cars will get a free pass, you're wrong. Even as we speak, German police can fine any car which is too loud, even if it is street legal. Sounds weird? Crazy? Well, welcome to Europe (but I guess the same started in California and other US states as well a short while ago).

Suddenly, everyone wants quiet cars. And unicorns.

Conspiracy theorists could suggest now that it is all VW Group's doing: They force governments to implement stricter noise emissions levels, so they can sell their EVs at some point. If all cars sound the same, combustion engine or electric, there is no need to stick to combustion engines, right?! Smiley 

No, I do not believe in conspiracy theories but I believe in mass hysteria about noise levels coming from cars and motorcycles. Unless you live on the Champs-Elysees or at Times Square. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Conspiracy theorists could suggest now that it is all VW Group's doing: They force governments to implement stricter noise emissions levels, so they can sell their EVs at some point. If all cars sound the same, combustion engine or electric, there is no need to stick to combustion engines, right?! Smiley 

No, I do not believe in conspiracy theories but I believe in mass hysteria about noise levels coming from cars and motorcycles. Unless you live on the Champs-Elysees or at Times Square. Smiley

quiet cars in city centers make sense...especially in the middle of Champs-Elysees where you can't talk...let alone breathe Smiley

the conspiracy sounds very BS to me as EV is more for ''clean'' than noise and VW is certainly not a leader in this branch as they are already many other players in the game. I would say German are worried about EV as they will have to change their business model...and I see them on the fighting against side rather than embrassing it. German industry without ICE cars is nothing Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

What are they doing about motorcycles in Europe? They have the loudest and most obnoxious exhaust sound.

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

nberry:

What are they doing about motorcycles in Europe? They have the loudest and most obnoxious exhaust sound.

Indeed, especially lame scooters with aftermarket exhausts and Harley type bikes... 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

In the U.S., about 90% of the Harleys that leave the dealers have aftermarket exhausts on them, that is to say almost straight pipe loud.  The factory exhaust complies with the rules.

While there are laws against noise, they are virtually never enforced.  Given the V-twin design, with no mufflers, it's a very crude, almost agricultural sound, that the riders love, and everyone else hates.

Kind of pathetic if you ask me, that loud farting sound makes no sense in a bike that is overweight, underpowered, and handles like a pig... which is fine if you are into that as opposed to a sport, trail or touring bike, but not the obnoxious farting loud exhaust, its not like it is loud because it is a sports exhaust on a performance machine. Its embarrassing imo... Same as teenagers on lame scooters with aftermarket exhausts.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

nberry:

Motorcycles in Europe usually have so called db killers installed. 

Unfortunately, some aftermarket exhaust manufacturers make their design in a way that these db killers can be easily

removed (see photo). 

252.jpg

German police knows these tricks, so it gets harder and harder to pull these stunts. If they catch you without a db killer, they can confiscate the bike on the spot.

Funny part: Most motorcycle riders have the (removed) db killer with them, so they can put it back on (because otherwise the bike cannot be used anymore or the police confiscates it). The moment they put it back on in front of the police officer, the fine doubles(!) because this is considered "intent" then and it is more expensive. Smiley Quite a tricky situation for bikers. Smiley

Harley drivers? 
    Well..last year, I was standing with my son in my R8 behind a Hell's Angels biker from my hometown at a red light. That Harley looked really cool, a very modern bike (don't know the type) and the biker himself looked pretty scary as well (everything in matte black, including a face mask and helmet). The biker turned around and started playing with the throttle: It was unbelievable. My R8 started shaking (I'm not kidding), this was the loudest and most powerful sound I ever heard from any vehicle in my life. I'm not kidding. We felt his exhaust in our bodies, as if we had a 10000 Watts car stereo with a mega bass in our car. 

Then, the biker stopped (me and my son were still laughing in shock Smiley) and put his left hand at his left ear, as if he was saying: Let's hear it from you. Smiley I didn't do anything because I didn't want to play games with a Hell's Angel but he was riding for another 2-3 kms in front of us and every time he accelerated only slightly(!), we felt(!) it in the R8. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I will put the cats back on my Harley as the extra  noise is killing me lately, just full open flaps is good enough  

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Carlos from Spain:

Kind of pathetic if you ask me, that loud farting sound makes no sense in a bike that is overweight, underpowered, and handles like a pig... which is fine if you are into that as opposed to a sport, trail or touring bike, but not the obnoxious farting loud exhaust, its not like it is loud because it is a sports exhaust on a performance machine. Its embarrassing imo... Same as teenagers on lame scooters with aftermarket exhausts.

Harley products fit perfectly with the size and mentality of most of their owners,  it's about as antipodal to a European way of thought as you can get.  The bikes are expensive, from 25-30K USD, and that's before replacing the factory exhaust.

Owners with stock exhausts get ridiculed that it "doesn't sound like a real Harley." 

They also have a "loud pipes save lives" campaign.  Since the pipes face rearward, it doesn't make for much of a safety case.

The medium and long-term trouble for the company, their core customers are getting too old to ride bikes, and younger guys aren't interested.  

Adventure bikes seem much more popular for younger guys with the means, e.g., BMW R1250GS.

Harley noise? Porsche I think owns the patent to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJVeape-6Y

Sounds like a 4 cylinder angry

Seems fairly rapid

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

EnglishManInNY:

Seems fairly rapid

Make no mistake, those mild hybrids will be stupidly fast but is that all the fun we want? Most countries have a speed limit and I wouldn't be surprised if we are going to have a speed limit in Germany as well sooner or later.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691065 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410186 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256236 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858827 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM