Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

BMW M5

So I went down to the BMW dealer today, was there with my gf as she wanted to check out a car for her dad.

There is this brand spanking new M5 Competition sitting in the showroom, black with brown interior.

The car looks great, seat is also super comfy and supportive, and I love the part that the little M5 badge on the seat back lights up.

My gf said it doesn't have the boy racer look of the M3 and describe the car as in someone in a suit but it's an animal in the bedroom.Smiley

If my Panamera isn't arriving in 10 days, I probably would have walked out of there with the car. 

It is't a hybrid and is also slower than the Panamera, but it is less than 1/2 the price of my Turbo S. I think it's the the best bargain in the performance sedan category. 

--

Re: BMW M5

Whoopsy:

So I went down to the BMW dealer today, was there with my gf as she wanted to check out a car for her dad.

There is this brand spanking new M5 Competition sitting in the showroom, black with brown interior.

The car looks great, seat is also super comfy and supportive, and I love the part that the little M5 badge on the seat back lights up.

My gf said it doesn't have the boy racer look of the M3 and describe the car as in someone in a suit but it's an animal in the bedroom.Smiley

If my Panamera isn't arriving in 10 days, I probably would have walked out of there with the car. 

It is't a hybrid and is also slower than the Panamera, but it is less than 1/2 the price of my Turbo S. I think it's the the best bargain in the performance sedan category. 

Not really... Smiley 

Yes, the new M5 Competition is a bargain but it doesn't sound too good. Smiley Lease offers are pretty good in Germany as well as far as I heard but AMG leases are even better. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy:

and describe the car as in someone in a suit but it's an animal in the bedroom.Smiley

.... and looked at you with that kinky smile and full of desire in her eyes and added : Just like you , my little tiger ! Smiley

Next thing she walked out of there with a brand  new M4 cab as a gift Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

and describe the car as in someone in a suit but it's an animal in the bedroom.Smiley

.... and looked at you with that kinky smile and full of desire in her eyes and added : Just like you , my little tiger ! Smiley

--

Well, if she has the looks and keeps him good company, why not. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

.... and looked at you with that kinky smile and full of desire in her eyes and added : Just like you , my little tiger ! 

Exactly my thought... Whoopsy probably thought to himself that she’s talking about him again. Smiley

I bought one for a friend of mine who isn't into cars at all. Found a British Racing Green over cognac example, drove it for a few hundred km's last week, I really enjoyed it, a hooligan in 2WD mode and very secure and quick in 4WD.

Biggest letdown for me is indeed the sound, doesn't come close to E63.

jxedwJ6hSFCI6lXYcqdnLQ.jpg

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

Nice one. It’s not a former press car, is it?

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

--

She had her eyes on the M2 in Hockenheim Silver, but too bad she can't drive a manual.

Heck, I haven't walked into a BMW dealer for a long time, but a few things there seems to look good yesterday. I like the looks of the M850i coupe, that M5, and also the M2, and the new Z4. 

Outside of the cars looks really nice, and the interiors are also nicely done, I think it's a wash between them and the Audi interior now.

That's very different than Mercedes. one of the current offering have attractive interior, and I absolutely hated the interiors of pretty much everything they currently offers except the AMG GT, I love that interior but I can't stand the looks of the exterior.

Also, the only Mercedes that I actually wanted to buy is the one they don't want to sell here, the A45. They sell the CLA45 sedan and the GLA45 crossover but not the hatchback because of the Americans Smiley

--

Porker:

I bought one for a friend of mine who isn't into cars at all. Found a British Racing Green over cognac example, drove it for a few hundred km's last week, I really enjoyed it, a hooligan in 2WD mode and very secure and quick in 4WD.

Biggest letdown for me is indeed the sound, doesn't come close to E63.

Yes the sound. On start up it's loud on the outside. But once going the sound inside is hmm meh.

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Not really... Smiley 

Yes, the new M5 Competition is a bargain but it doesn't sound too good. Smiley Lease offers are pretty good in Germany as well as far as I heard but AMG leases are even better. Smiley

M5 Competition isn't faster than my Panamera Turbo S, straight line or on a track Smiley

It's probably faster than a Panamera Turbo though.

--

Ferdie:
    Porker:

Nice one. It’s not a former press car, is it?

Not sure, might very well be! Warranty covers any issues I guess...

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

I find the guy slightly obnoxious but the color of the car is great... hence my thought that its the same car. Your firend´s look like a solid color though. Anyways, you're the expert for green.

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Not really... Smiley 

M5 Competition isn't faster than my Panamera Turbo S, straight line or on a track Smiley

It's probably faster than a Panamera Turbo though.

Not so sure about the track time (although the M5 Competition currently holds the record for the Nordschleife among Sport Auto test cars) but from 0-200(!) kph, the M5 Competition is almost a second faster according to German reviews. Btw: My E63 S does 200 to 300 kph in 21 seconds flat (GPS measured)...a monster.

Still, the Panamera Turbo S is very impressive, considering it weights over 300 kg more than the E63S and over 400 kg more than the M5 Competition. I also like the Panamera better for its looks. Smiley

--

Ferdie:

I find the guy slightly obnoxious but the color of the car is great... hence my thought that its the same car. Your firend´s look like a solid color though. Anyways, you're the expert for green.

That's Malachitgrün, indeed a metallic colour, similar to Oakgrün at Porsche. My friend's indeed solid green, it's unusual but works well as it is dark enough to pull it off on such a big car, in my opinion.

--

To be honest do you really need something faster than a Panamera Turbo (without the S and 300 kg)? Different league in terms of looks, quality, lower center of gravity, than an M5. And people move out of the way in the left lane on the autobahn, which doesn’t happen so quickly when you are in the M5.

996FourEss:

To be honest do you really need something faster than a Panamera Turbo (without the S and 300 kg)? Different league in terms of looks, quality, lower center of gravity, than an M5. And people move out of the way in the left lane on the autobahn, which doesn’t happen so quickly when you are in the M5.

M5 and E63S lease offers in Germany are unbeatable, a Panamera Turbo (not Turbo S) which is much slower (it is!), costs around 700 EUR more...per month! Not worth it.

--

Agree with your assessment of some of the new BMW offerings. The 850 and Z4 look quite good, and the M5 is very impressive. I had a chance to drive the new X3M Competition last weekend and was very impressed. It’s quick and sounds good as well, but the engine is fantastic. Also, seats were comfortable and it offers good utility. I think BMW will do quite well with it. Way better value than a Macan Turbo.

Porsche might have a slight edge over BMW in terms of dynamics (e.g. brakes) but someone must be crazy to pay the 50%, extra that Porsche usually asks for its models. The 911 might justify some  premium and more so the GT models but not the sedans and SUVs.

The Porsche over BMW price differential is money down the drain really because Porsche is neither exclusive nor rare anymore and other brands like BMW or M-B have improved enormously. It is not as if someone throws money into Lamborghini ownership, for example.

BTW I saw a Lamborghini Urus for the first time today in black and it looked amazing kiss The king of SUVs.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

RC:
    996FourEss:

M5 and E63S lease offers in Germany are unbeatable, a Panamera Turbo (not Turbo S) which is much slower (it is!), costs around 700 EUR more...per month! Not worth it.

Speed is not the only argument... A Panamera is much more luxurious, has a different image, ...

--

Whoopsy:
    Also, the only Mercedes that I actually wanted to buy is the one they don't want to sell here, the A45. They sell the CLA45 sedan and the GLA45 crossover but not the hatchback because of the Americans Smiley

I agree!  But they are going to import the A45 Sedan here (just not the hatchback which is way more practical.  Same thing with the Audi RS3)...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Porker:
    RC:
    996FourEss:

Speed is not the only argument... A Panamera is much more luxurious, has a different image, ...

And depreciation. Smiley

996FourEss:

The Turbo S is a hybrid, hence gets all the same benefits from the government as a EV.Smiley

And, if you have a chance, get a ride on the track in a Panamera Turbo S, your jaws will drop and say fucking hell this pig can do that!?!?!?!

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

I agree!  But they are going to import the A45 Sedan here (just not the hatchback which is way more practical.  Same thing with the Audi RS3)...

The A45 sedan is the CLA45.

I still much prefer the look of the A45 hatchback. But Americans hates hatchbacks and Mercedes Canada goes with whatever Mercedes USA orders, we only gets what Mercedes USA orders.

--

Whoopsy:

No, they are two different models.  You can see here the body styles with the 2020 CLA 35 and 2020 A35 (same basic chassis as A45 which is supposedly coming too):

https://www.mbusa.com/en/future-vehicles#upcoming

1564676229883amg.PNG

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Mercedes is making too many variants... I am not sure having two of essentially the same gets anymore sales than just having one.

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

No, they are two different models.  You can see here the body styles with the 2020 CLA 35 and 2020 A35 (same basic chassis as A45 which is supposedly coming too):

https://www.mbusa.com/en/future-vehicles#upcoming

1564676229883amg.PNG

--

Thanks. I stand corrected then.

The CLA is the couple like sedan. The A is the sedan-like sedan SmileySmiley

Still, they don't bring in the best of the class, the hatchbackSmiley It's the only hatchback that's better than my Golf R.

--

No surprise to see the Panamera last...

Think that's the M5 and not the M5 Competition though.

But doesn't quite matter. The M5 Competition is pretty much the best bargain for a 4 door performance sedan.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774272 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439997 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261895 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260185 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84764 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879128 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813856 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM