Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

He, he, he... putting the Taycan and the Model 3 in the same segment was funny, it is like putting a Lincoln Navigator and a Lamborghini Urus in the same segment 

Tesla has nothing in the same segment as the Taycan... actually, nobody does yet.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Tesla has nothing in the same segment as the Taycan... actually, nobody does yet.

Including PorscheSmiley

So what's the release date? 

It's still on track for Frankfurt debut last I check.

Configurator and ordering will open at that time.

--

McQueen:

So what's the release date? 

September 4th

"Awaiting all the golfers teeing up for the fifth edition of the Porsche European Open is a spectacular highlight on hole No. 17. The first player to hit an ace will receive the new Porsche Taycan – the first purely electrically powered car manufactured by the title sponsor which will be officially launched only one day before the start of the tournament."

The Golf tournament start on September 5th.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/sport-lifestyle/porsche-golf-european-open-2019-taycan-top-stars-18070.html

Carlos from Spain:

He, he, he... putting the Taycan and the Model 3 in the same segment was funny, it is like putting a Lincoln Navigator and a Lamborghini Urus in the same segment 

--

A loaded Tesla Model 3 Performance and a naked base Taycan might not be that far apart in price if the rumors are true... They are close in size, seat 5 people... They are both luxury cars the same way a BMW or Mercedes or Audi are luxury. The Porsche will have a nicer interior, the 3 will be faster and more practical.

They are all competing in the M3/C63 AMG/RS4 segment the same way the Cayenne is against X5/GLE/Q7 where the Y will eventually be and the ETron is. Porsche is always sitting on top with a better interior and most of the time handling, but at a large premium and with lower volumes.

And before someone starts denigrating again, let me remind you the Model 3 is the #1 seller in the USA in the luxury sedan segment so clearly they have stuck the right cord somewhere, with the corollary that they do not have a crossover/SUV yet in that segment and that there will obviously be some lost sales for that.

And Teslas don't have the luxury class interior to match the luxury class pricing..........

The Model S compete with say Acura luxury wise, but cost many times over.

The Model 3 compete with Camry yet cost many times over. 

The incoming Model Y will be a RAV4 competitor but will cost may times over.

Model 3, Model X, Model S, Model Y are miles behind in interior against the e-tron.

All Tesla interiors are econobox grade. 

Yes the pricing puts them at the luxury segment, but they are definitely not luxury cars. 

This also makes you wonder why with Tesla charging so much yet giving a basic el cheapo interior yet still manage to lose so much money.

--

SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

A loaded Tesla Model 3 Performance and a naked base Taycan might not be that far apart in price if the rumors are true... They are close in size, seat 5 people... They are both luxury cars the same way a BMW or Mercedes or Audi are luxury. The Porsche will have a nicer interior, the 3 will be faster and more practical.

Rest assured - no buyer of a Taycan will consider a Tesla as a comparable car. Tesla might be cheaper or more versatile. However, they are very different cars for very different classes of car buyers Smiley

Whoopsy:

And Teslas don't have the luxury class interior to match the luxury class pricing..........

Model 3, Model X, Model S, Model Y are miles behind in interior against the e-tron.

Yes the pricing puts them at the luxury segment, but they are definitely not luxury cars. 

This also makes you wonder why with Tesla charging so much yet giving a basic el cheapo interior yet still manage to lose so much money.

This.

--

Whoopsy:

That’s what you would like to to be. But that’s not the case Smiley Just wishful thinking.

You wonder why Tesla is charging so much for their interiors? Because people think they are nice Smiley Are they as nice as the top of the line of Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW? No. Are they better than the base of all these? Easily. They slot in the middle. And not only that’s good enough to define them as luxury interiors, but because of their minimalist and different look, people think are are more than good enough for the price they pay. They are far beyond the average interiors like Ford GM and Toyotas and that’s why they are luxury class, it is not even debatable. Have you seen a base BMW series 3 or Audi Q5 interior these days? The Teslas even the Model 3 easily holds the comparaison. Alcantara roof lining rings a bell? The X has it standard but you have to get pretty far up in price to get it in the Germans. And Tesla does not use leather. So how are you going to compare to a full leather Porsche interior which by the way is going to cost you an arm and a leg?

People here have means way above average and tend to forget what a normal car interior is. Tesla is a luxury mass market car manufacturer whether you like it or not and they own the luxury sedan market in the USA Smiley

EV tech is expensive, do you think Audi makes money on the ETron? I doubt it. They priced it aggressively to hurt Tesla.  Tesla is a major headache for the Germans. They already cost BMW CEO its job and they have stolen ten of thousands of the most profitable sales in the usury segment in the USA. And that’s even before the Model Y comes out because so far the even more lucrative small luxury crossover segment has been shielded away from Tesla. But they are coming and it is going to hurt the wallet.

I ride in average mass market cars almost everyday and there is simply no comparaison with the cheapest Model 3 interiors. Even before you even compare the interior designs and materials used, the screen interface and tech is two decades behind Smiley

SciFrog:
    They are far beyond the average interiors like Ford GM and Toyotas and that’s why they are luxury class, it is not even debatable. Smiley

That's what I meant with "different class of buyers". Tesla buyers compare Tesla to lower class cars. If you compare them with premium products (like the Taycan) they will fall apart. They are cheaper and more versatile. But they are not comparable in terms of refinement Smiley

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Rest assured - no buyer of a Taycan will consider a Tesla as a comparable car. Tesla might be cheaper or more versatile. However, they are very different cars for very different classes of car buyers Smiley

Another ridiculous statement. You have several people HERE that prove you are wrong Smiley

SmileyWhoopsy:

Lot's of exaggerations there as usual. You seem to not have the ability to get your head around that we all prefer different and that a lot of people actually  prefer the minimalism in Teslas and all the smart tech. It's something new and refreshing that many actually really like. 

I have lot's of experience with all sorts of german cars and have been driving around in an E-tron for a week or so in total. After all these comparisons I still prefer the Teslas complete package at the same price level.

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    They are far beyond the average interiors like Ford GM and Toyotas and that’s why they are luxury class, it is not even debatable. Smiley

That's what I meant with "different class of buyers". Tesla buyers compare Tesla to lower class cars. If you compare them with premium products (like the Taycan) they will fall apart. They are cheaper and more versatile. But they are not comparable in terms of refinement Smiley

Have we seen what the interior of a base Taycan will be? You guys keep inferring that Porsche interiors are so much better but use only the most expensive declinations of it. Have you seen the interior of a base Macan or a base Cayenne? They are full of plastics and not as « luxury » as you mean it. They have no leather, no Alcantara and their tech is a decade old. Not only that but the Taycan is a brand new product from Porsche and probably they do not make money from it. Of course Porsche is going to try to bring a Tesla killer product, and they found a way to do so without killing their own sales by creating a sedans size they did not have before...

SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Another ridiculous statement. You have several people HERE that prove you are wrong Smiley

There is no buyer of the Taycan yet. So how should it be possible that a Taycan buyer considers a Tesla. This will only be possible after the Taycan will be driven by its buyers. And I guarantee you that no Tycan buyer will then consider a Tesla any more - except if he wants to safe some money or needs more space Smiley

And how would you know? Have you driven one? We do not even have the final specs, the prices or even know how they will look like and the materials they will employ at what trim levels. Will the $180k fully loaded Taycan will amaze everyone as a package? I have zero doubts it will. Will the base Taycan do the same? That will be more debatable.

Money talks my friends. Fact is I have owned Porsches and VW cars for decades representing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Today there are none in my garage. And in the end, that’s the only thing VW cares about and they already lost that one big time, at least for now. YOU might not care about it. But I can assure you VW/BMW/Mercedes executives gets grey hairs over thousands of people like me and a few right here on Renteam.

Tesla has been struggling to produce their vehicles and they are not out of the woods yet. But all they need is one homerun (Y? Semi? Pickup truck?) to establish themselves as a solid long term player. The real danger for the Germans is that Tesla is not after profits yet. They are after market share. And that puts tremendous pressure on the other luxury auto makers because it steals some of their most profitable sales away. Tesla has already sold like 500,000 cars. Where do you think these sales come from? Hint, they do not all come from people who have never bought a luxury car beforeSmiley

I am puzzled. Why buy any EV car today when they all are a work in progress? EV cars are in their infancy and will Improve significantly with each new model.

It seems like present day buyers are getting EV’s just to say the own one. yes

--

Assume most people are stupid and hope they surprise you.

SciFrog:

And how would you know? Have you driven one? We do not even have the final specs, the prices or even know how they will look like and the materials they will employ at what trim levels. Will the $180k fully loaded Taycan will amaze everyone as a package? I have zero doubts it will. Will the base Taycan do the same? That will be more debatable.

Money talks my friends. Fact is I have owned Porsches and VW cars for decades representing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Today there are none in my garage. And in the end, that’s the only thing VW cares about and they already lost that one big time, at least for now. YOU might not care about it. But I can assure you VW/BMW/Mercedes executives gets grey hairs over thousands of people like me and a few right here on Renteam.

My gut tells me... The Porsche will be a car in a totally different league Smiley Tesla has been selling their cars because there was no competition, one should never forget this. Times will change very soon.

nberry:

I am puzzled. Why buy any EV car today when they all are a work in progress? EV cars are in their infancy and will Improve significantly with each new model.

I kind of agree. The technology is in a very simple state. These cars will age very, very badly. And somebody has to pay the cost/depreciation.

Competition is great and a cornerstone of capitalism. And EV totally a large part of the future of automobiles. I cannot wait to see where we will be in 5 years.

As to Nick question, EV is ready for prime time, it is just not ready if you need a car to drive very long distances without wanting to stop and supercharge.

MKSGR:
    nberry:

I kind of agree. The technology is in a very simple state. These cars will age very, very badly. And somebody has to pay the cost/depreciation.

Once again, yapping without any real arguments.

There are plenty 7-8 years old Teslas on the road, and worse these where gen 1 cars with a few issues. They do not depreciate or age any different than luxury cars which for these gen 1 cars is simply amazing. The Tesla used market is apparently functioning normally and actually the trend is more that the solid used market is hurting Tesla because it is taking away from new sales. That’s how well 2-3 year old ones are seen by people who are looking to buy them.

But because I am not biased and try to paint a balanced fair picture, I will write that there are some issues. MCU1 were prone to failure and some people have some issues replacing them. Some screens had yellow discoloration and there were no replacements for them until a couple of months ago. Some parts were hard to find a few months ago but that’s apparently solved now. Building a good service from scratch is not an easy task.

But others have issues too. I have been waiting for 9 months for an electrical harness for my Ferrari 612 from the factory Smiley

When can we expect the Taycan to be unveiled? At this years' IAA in Frankfurt maybe? 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

There is no buyer of the Taycan yet. So how should it be possible that a Taycan buyer considers a Tesla. This will only be possible after the Taycan will be driven by its buyers. And I guarantee you that no Tycan buyer will consider a Tesla any more - except if he wants to safe money or needs more space Smiley

Completely different type of buyers with different needs and preferences.

Taycan is sized as the Model 3 but will cost 2-3 times as much. Model S/X appeal to families and those who need a bigger car where the Taycan is too low and too small. I don't even see many people cross shopping those cars?

Why do you think Tesla has so many happy and pleased owners? You can ask yourself why the few people in here who have Teslas and are former and existing owners of Porsches really like their Teslas. It's because the cars are great to live with when considering the complete package.

Gauss:

When can we expect the Taycan to be unveiled? At this years' IAA in Frankfurt maybe? 

Porsche sent out a VIP invitation for a Taycan event on Sep 19th in Frankfurt. So I'm quite sure that it will be IAA

SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    nberry:

Common sense... You will realize when all the products float the market. A new technology like EV will always age very badly, of course. There will be enormous advancements - if EV will get to a reasonable market share.

For example yesterday we went for our usual 100+ miles total shopping trip that we do in the summer. I asked what car she wanted, she could have picked any. She asked for the X... I am still baffled that some people here simply blindly denigrate Teslas because it doesn’t fit into their brains that as a package, they are simply one one the best vehicle on the market today.

Gauss:

Correct Smiley

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    nberry:

Common sense... You will realize when all the products float the market. A new technology like EV will always age very badly, of course. There will be enormous advancements - if EV will get to a reasonable market share.

Do you even read other posts? Been there, done that...

There ALREADY has been huge advances in range and performance in the 8 years of the Model S and the used market is functioning normally. You are just WRONG, again.

SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:
    MKSGR:
    nberry:

Do you even read other posts? Been there, done that...

There ALREADY has been huge advances in range and performance in the 8 years of the Model S and the used market is functioning normally. You are just WRONG, again.

Are you serious? The technology is very new. These cars sold today will look like old crap in 5-8 years Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM