Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordered new family SUV - X7

After a long trial phase of various modern SUVs, we decided to go for an X7 50d as the next family car. 

We test drove the Cayenne V6 (felt dated and not agile), the Panamera Sport Tourismo Hybrid (felt sexy but had no space), the X5 3.0d (very agile, lots of fun, but no space), the Model X (lots of fun but terrible quality and simply no luxury inside), the G63 (would have been by optic and statement our favorite car but no semi-autonomous driving is just dated), the GLE 450 (great car but not enough space), the new GLS 450 (great car but even longer than the X7, and also not much as sporty as the X7 / no rear-wheel steering). 

So - looking forward to a fully equipped X7 as family transporter. Only option I didn't order was the Captain Seats (6-seater) on the rear (simply as you can't fold them flat). Other than that its a full car with all Gizmo's and Lux. I like that BMW adds you to the Excellence Club and treats you as a Seven-Client. I also liked that the car has all modern assistants and due to the rear-wheel steering, it really feels agile and fun to drive while the Magic Carpet (Executive Drive Pro) adds comfort. The semi-autonomous driving works flawless and the engine as lots of torque and power with a long-range per tank. And the leather, interior quality is on a Bentley Level. What more can you ask for?

Delivery is hopefully mid of Jan. Will keep you posted!

Re: Ordered new family SUV - X7

interesting comparison table, did you study the Bentayga in diesel? Not sure there is any semi-autonomous driving with it...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

I tested the X5 and X7 too. I preferred the X5, more agile to drive (both not sporty), big enough. I don’t think that moveable backseats are necessary, room for the legs is more than enough. Trunk size in the X7 is really big. I didn’t recognize any difference regarding the assistant systems, both work great. But cars were to wide for my parking lot so I ended with the 840d (which qualifies you to be member of the excellence club too), unbeatable in the category “costs per car quality”

Congrats, interesting choice. wink I confused the new X7 (was still camouflaged) twice for a Mercedes GL...funny. frown

It is a pretty big car, not sure it is the right choice for European roads, especially in Germany. 

Also not a fan of the design but I guess BMW had to adapt to certain markets and the European market certainly isn't the main target market for the X7.

Don't forget to post a driving report and some photos once you get the car next year. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I was told by my dealer that less than 20% of the X5/X7 is sold in Europe. So size and design is made for Non-European markets

Amazingly the X7, while large, isn’t the largest of SUVs in the States.  Suburbans, Escalades, Expeditions, and Navigators are larger.  There’s a Nissan/Infiniti twin that’s probably larger too along with a large Toyota/Lexus pair.  A neighbor next to the weekend place just purchased the giant Lexus following the birth of their first child as this is what new parents, with means, in the States do.  

A couple of weeks ago, I instructed at a teen driving school and had a student with a Ford Expedition.  Surprised at how well something so large handled and braked.  The braking efficacy really was amazing.  Another student had a Honda Pilot.  The Ford was superior to the Honda in performance, materials, and fit and finish.

Returning to the X7.  If one needed a large SUV, this would top the list.  The exterior may be challenging but the interior is sublimely divine.  Another positive is that it is manufactured at BMW’s largest manufacturing facility located in South Carolina.  

I drove the new Ford Expedition Max for over two weeks in the US, drove over 3000 miles in it and I loved it. Perfect family travel car, very powerful (6-cyl Biturbo I think, not even a V8) and comfortable. Quality was OK but not at par with European SUVs like the BMW X5 or even Cayenne.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Comparison was with an albeit lower priced Honda Pilot, but the Honda was subpar.   Comically many of the larger SUVs by Mercedes and BMW are manufactured in the States.  Audi produces the Q5 in Mexico for markets outside of China.   A few years ago, the old Hummer H2 assembly hall built Mercedes R-class vehicles exclusively for export to China.  That facility is based in Northern Indiana near Chicago.  

the-missile:

interesting comparison table, did you study the Bentayga in diesel? Not sure there is any semi-autonomous driving with it...

Nope - Bentley is min. double the price and not in the same league. 

Itsme:

I tested the X5 and X7 too. I preferred the X5, more agile to drive (both not sporty), big enough. I don’t think that moveable backseats are necessary, room for the legs is more than enough. Trunk size in the X7 is really big. I didn’t recognize any difference regarding the assistant systems, both work great. But cars were to wide for my parking lot so I ended with the 840d (which qualifies you to be member of the excellence club too), unbeatable in the category “costs per car quality”

Agree to all what you say. I just love the comfort of that huge trunk. I do a lot of various hobbies and have always sport equipment with me. Smiley

RC:

Congrats, interesting choice. wink I confused the new X7 (was still camouflaged) twice for a Mercedes GL...funny. frown

It is a pretty big car, not sure it is the right choice for European roads, especially in Germany. 

Also not a fan of the design but I guess BMW had to adapt to certain markets and the European market certainly isn't the main target market for the X7.

Don't forget to post a driving report and some photos once you get the car next year. 

Will keep you updated. Yes - huge car. But not much difference to my current Volvo. Think I can handle it ;)

Looking forward to your driving impressions and how it is to live with it' s size . Bigger then the Q7 , I presume ?

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Lars997:
    RC:

Will keep you updated. Yes - huge car. But not much difference to my current Volvo. Think I can handle it ;)

I think you made the right decision. I hat SUV and if SUV then a real SUV, not this small-sized SUV or coupé SUV. I have seen yesterday one and in flash, it isn't ugly at all.

--

AM

There is one in our basement, big boy size smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

ALDO:
    Lars997:
    RC:

I think you made the right decision. I hat SUV and if SUV then a real SUV, not this small-sized SUV or coupé SUV. I have seen yesterday one and in flash, it isn't ugly at all.

I recently met a guy at my Lamborghini dealer, he owns two(!) Lamborghini Urus (one for him and one for his wife) and this Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. He told me that the Jeep is his daily beater, he loves this car, no issues yet. When I asked how it drives, he threw me the keys and told me to take a short ride in it. Smiley I drove the Trackhawk for around 10 minutes only (didn't want to be rude) and loved it. Very good offer from Jeep in my opinion, even if the officially imported car with EU warranty costs around 120k (my dealer offered me one end of last year).

IMG_9729.jpg

--

with the regular funny beating about how shitty the Tesla interior is for such price and promoting a good car as a jeep at 120kE, we are definitely doing something wrong here indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Lars997:

After a long trial phase of various modern SUVs, we decided to go for an X7 50d as the next family car. 

We test drove the Cayenne V6 (felt dated and not agile), the Panamera Sport Tourismo Hybrid (felt sexy but had no space), the X5 3.0d (very agile, lots of fun, but no space), the Model X (lots of fun but terrible quality and simply no luxury inside), the G63 (would have been by optic and statement our favorite car but no semi-autonomous driving is just dated), the GLE 450 (great car but not enough space), the new GLS 450 (great car but even longer than the X7, and also not much as sporty as the X7 / no rear-wheel steering). 

So - looking forward to a fully equipped X7 as family transporter. Only option I didn't order was the Captain Seats (6-seater) on the rear (simply as you can't fold them flat). Other than that its a full car with all Gizmo's and Lux. I like that BMW adds you to the Excellence Club and treats you as a Seven-Client. I also liked that the car has all modern assistants and due to the rear-wheel steering, it really feels agile and fun to drive while the Magic Carpet (Executive Drive Pro) adds comfort. The semi-autonomous driving works flawless and the engine as lots of torque and power with a long-range per tank. And the leather, interior quality is on a Bentley Level. What more can you ask for?

Delivery is hopefully mid of Jan. Will keep you posted!

Congrats Lars SmileySmiley

If I were in your shoes, I would have pick the X7, too. It is my favorite family SUV by far; in terms of both looks and interior quality + driving agility/comfort.

What is your color combination?

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

the-missile:

with the regular funny beating about how shitty the Tesla interior is for such price and promoting a good car as a jeep at 120kE, we are definitely doing something wrong here indecision

The Jeep is amazing to drive, also sounds amazing and beats anything I have driven so far in this price category. Smiley In Germany, it also has the advantage of a "sleeper" car, many people still believe that a Jeep is a serious off-roader, so Jeeps aren't really considered SUVs, which is a good thing.

--

the-missile:

The interior only matters when it helps someone’s point of view, humans’ distorted reality Smiley

the-missile:

Correction: Munich dealer offers Trackhawk for 90k EUR, incl. a 4 year warranty, EU model. Car has been registered already last month but is brand-new. This is actually a good offer. Truck can be tuned to 891 hp with German TÜV. Smiley

He also offers two SRT (468 hp), also registered but brand-new for 59k. Bargains. 

--

Top large sized SUV. And the large grille has already grown on me. kiss

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

I'm strangely warming to it as well... Not on the 7 series though.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

It does look ok in real life eye in the middle of other cars. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Porker:

I'm strangely warming to it as well... Not on the 7 series though.

The new grill looks so bizarre on the 7, but it is somehow alright on the X7. 

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I like the blue 7 series with the darkened grille + other bits (Hochglanz Shadow Line option) as below:

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

It looks actually so much better ..... but only suited for Miami and driven by a rap star indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Crap star 

not in blue but it looks better with darkened grill, BMW is trying hard to be back at the top.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-hilariously-the-huge-2019-bmw-x7-grille-fits-1835330294

indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-hilariously-the-huge-2019-bmw-x7-grille-fits-1835330294

indecision

huge plane, huge grill...small plane...small grill Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761680 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434973 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260280 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80869 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871783 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807123 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM