Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 720s Spider Choice

JR-550:

Do you really think the car manufactures are going to make special UK editions? Keep on dreaming. If the UK wants to sell to Europe they have to apply to the European lwas. In this case do you think the UK producers are going to make UK versions?

I assume McLaren will do two or three versions, one for the EU, one for the US (and maybe the UK) and one ROW version. I can also imagine that the EU version will be exported to California for example or some sort of special version of the US version.

Or...they make, like other manufacturers, one version only because I can imagine the logistics and manufacturing nightmare if they need to do several different versions.

I give you an example: There was a court case in Germany with a Jaguar F-Type V8 S. This car is, as many of you probably know, extremely loud (factory). The car is certified at 96 dB (comparison: my Performante is certified at 94 dB Smiley, my former Audi R8 was certified at 100 dB and the Audi R8 RWS was certified at unbelievable 107 dB, which probably was some sort of error because this is insane).

So the police stopped this guy in his F-Type a couple of times, car was technically OK (no mods) and they fined him, even confiscated the car twice. The F-Type owner went to court and...lost. The judge argued that it doesn't matter if the car is street legal or not, he cannot drive around, revving high, especially not at night or in the city center. He is supposed to keep the noise level as low as possible, this is really the law, I didn't even know that.

He sold the car and Jaguar has, in the meantime, changed the software of the car and lowered noise emissions to prevent a mandatory software upgrade to reduce noise.

This is how it works nowadays, the days of loud cars are over, we need to deal with that and we cannot provoke other people, just because our cars are street legal. It doesn't matter, the authorities will always take the "other" side and literally f.ck you if you provoke others with your car too much.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    JR-550:

Do you really think the car manufactures are going to make special UK editions? Keep on dreaming. If the UK wants to sell to Europe they have to apply to the European lwas. In this case do you think the UK producers are going to make UK versions?

I assume McLaren will do two or three versions, one for the EU, one for the US (and maybe the UK) and one ROW version. I can also imagine that the EU version will be exported to California for example or some sort of special version of the US version.

Or...they make, like other manufacturers, one version only because I can imagine the logistics and manufacturing nightmare if they need to do several different versions.

I give you an example: There was a court case in Germany with a Jaguar F-Type V8 S. This car is, as many of you probably know, extremely loud (factory). The car is certified at 96 dB (comparison: my Performante is certified at 94 dB Smiley, my former Audi R8 was certified at 100 dB and the Audi R8 RWS was certified at unbelievable 107 dB, which probably was some sort of error because this is insane).

So the police stopped this guy in his F-Type a couple of times, car was technically OK (no mods) and they fined him, even confiscated the car twice. The F-Type owner went to court and...lost. The judge argued that it doesn't matter if the car is street legal or not, he cannot drive around, revving high, especially not at night or in the city center. He is supposed to keep the noise level as low as possible, this is really the law, I didn't even know that.

He sold the car and Jaguar has, in the meantime, changed the software of the car and lowered noise emissions to prevent a mandatory software upgrade to reduce noise.

This is how it works nowadays, the days of loud cars are over, we need to deal with that and we cannot provoke other people, just because our cars are street legal. It doesn't matter, the authorities will always take the "other" side and literally f.ck you if you provoke others with your car too much.

I see it it noise specifically which you are talking about ( I thought you meant aftermarket stuff in general ) so the factory EU exhausts on the 720 both sport and non sport both have valves and at low revs (with valves closed) are pretty quiet hence lots of people (in EU) saying they sound crap the thing with this means the sport is barely different at low revs to the non sport as unless you are at wide throttle openings and higher revs there is barely any difference - hence why I am an advocate of aftermarket. 

In fact my QS exhaust is not really that loud at low revs I would say no louder than a rorty AMG so in the sound stakes it would not stand out to the cops for sure. 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

fistral blue for me please wink

Why are we all blindly and meekly accepting that the new EU laws make sense (and there is a new speed monitoring o e com8ng as well). This is the problem with Brussels and bureaucrats but there has to be scope for car enthusiasts to lobby against this....

Great looking car.

Fistral Blue or Belize Blue   kiss

Here is the paint sample from fistral blue alongside cepheus blue. the fistral blue is the one with metallic sparkle:

IMG_20180927_121924.jpg

IMG_20180927_121911.jpg

996FourEss:

Why are we all blindly and meekly accepting that the new EU laws make sense (and there is a new speed monitoring o e com8ng as well). This is the problem with Brussels and bureaucrats but there has to be scope for car enthusiasts to lobby against this....

England will introduce '' noise cameras '' , this on their own initiative, all government are moving into the same direction Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

@hunterone, whichever colour you choose, it will be a spectacular car, and you may be the first RT member to move up from an older McLaren to the new 720. (Sorry if I forgot someone? )   Will be very curious to hear your impressions after some km in the new car, simply because you are so knowledgeable about the 12C as your base for,the comparison. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

belize gets my vote

The blue color of the the crashed Senna looks stunning.

4trac:

@hunterone, whichever colour you choose, it will be a spectacular car, and you may be the first RT member to move up from an older McLaren to the new 720. (Sorry if I forgot someone? )   Will be very curious to hear your impressions after some km in the new car, simply because you are so knowledgeable about the 12C as your base for,the comparison. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

We have two other members who switched from an "older" McLaren to the 720S. Smiley I think.

One of our RT moderators is one of them (ALDO).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

hunterone:

I am thinking hard about a switch from my 12C Spider to a 720s Spider to get not the last but one of the last non-Hybrid ICE sport cars. It should last for the next decade. Im a turbo guy and in love with the 720s since i first drove it nearly two years ago.

The 12C feels now after 5 years and 40k km little bit like a 0.9 Version of a software as it provides lot of fun but feels sometimes a bit clumsy and not perfectly honed. It never let me down or anything like that, but my gut feeling says I should update. I saw the 720s Spider last Dezember in Woking and I was happy with the outcome. I am going to drive the Spider on 12.07. in Munich just to get sure it’s the right decision. Delivery would be next March/April but i need to pull the trigger till end of july.

Now its all about the color choice between:

Belize Blue

47968262743_a36077071e_z.jpg

Ludus Blue 

mclaren-drops-top-in-geneva-720s-spider-looks-even-better-in-the-flesh_2.png

Volcano Yellow

720PERF-VOLCANO-YELLOW-8-of-25.png

Memphis Red

1562251746143720PERF-MEMPHIS-RED-2-of-26.png

Fistral Blue

38929250214_7fb54561e3_o.png

38929240544_7e3d6bcfcd_o.png

I and my wife are leaning to Fistral Blue outside with orange brake calipers and inside all Alcantara with Fistral Blue stitching and orange seat belts. No carbon bits as it will raise the price too much.

Here my Spec so far:
    4WB03 Wheel Finish - Stealth
    4WB05 Special Colour Brake Calipers - orange
    4WB07 Tyres - Pirelli P ZEROTM CORSA
    2EX13 Sports Exhaust
    1ASTE Stealth Pack
    2EXT14 Retractable Hard Top Roof-Glazed Electr.
    3IN05 Seatbelt - Orange
    3IN03 Steering Wheel - Carbon Black Alcantara
    6SS02 Rear View Camera (incl. Parking Sensors)
    6SS05 Vehicle Lift
    5EN02 Homelink System
    7PR01 Branded Floor Mat Set
    7PR03 Car Cover
    TRANS Handover und Transport
    MSO14 MSO Bespoke Contrast Stitch - Fistral Blue
    8MS01 MSO Heritage Paint - Fistral Blue

looking forward to some comments about spec and color choice Smiley

So, please do no take Belize Blue - as I will get it on my 720 s spider Smiley

However, I would re-think the Alcantara interior. The new leather is so fine and the quality is extremely high. I would go for the leather options.

And yes, I have switched from 650s to 720s and do not regret it a second.

--

AM

Ah cool so you switch from 720s Coupe to Spider ?

I am 90% shure that i get Fistral Blue Smiley

That`s a nice colour! 

I switched from 650s spider to 720s coupé and will switch next year to 720s spider. The coupé is just for this year.

An incredible car - the best thing I ever have driven.

--

AM

have you already driven the 720s Spider ?

RC:

We have two other members who switched from an "older" McLaren to the 720S. Smiley I think.

...and one who switched from a 12C to a RAV4 SmileySmiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

hunterone:

Yes! Best car in the world under 500.000 $

--

AM

ALDO:
    hunterone:

Is there’s a waiting list for the spider ?

Waiting time for the car is right now around 7 month so i think the demand is there.

ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

--

hunterone:

Waiting time for the car is right now around 7 month so i think the demand is there.

7 months is not that bad. 

Is it the same for the coupe ?

RC:
    ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

BEST OVERALL Smiley

--

AM

ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

BEST OVERALL Smiley

Best in...? Smiley

I'd say price/performance ratio and straight line performance. 

Everything else is debatable. Smiley

Met with Michl (Gercollector) yesterday, he still prefers driving the 675LT over the 720S. Smiley Of course he is biased...he also had an Aventador SV with him...loudest Aventador I ever heard...oh hell, loudest car I ever heard. Smiley

--

ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

BEST OVERALL Smiley

... of the British car makers. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

BEST OVERALL Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

Rossi:
    ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

BEST OVERALL Smiley

...in Surrey Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Rossi:
    ALDO:
    RC:
    ALDO:
    hunterone:

Fastest... Smiley

BEST OVERALL Smiley

...in Surrey Smiley

Now you're mean... Smiley

Joking aside, McLaren really did a lot for the sports car world, they really kicked other manufacturers in the a.., so they were forced to come up with new and better products. This fact alone should be credited to McLaren, without them, the sports car world would be a lot more boring.

--

Short summary about my test drive:

Exterior: the coupe looks better with the glass roof to the back and design wise more consistent as the spider. The spider seems also to be more color sensitive. The test car color was belize blue and it was quite dark and greenish and doesn’t look good under cloudy weather. Overall i was a little bit unimpressed.

Interior: The glass roof is as expected sensational. It is now light and airy inside and also the visibility is very good. Overall the build quality is top notch. I don’t like the electronic display as it looks for me a little bit dated but that’s a problem with all electronic displays when they age.

Driving Slow Speeds: From the solidity, braking, steering, gearshifts, suspension... it feels as perfect as a Porsche. That’s two steps up from my 12c and an absolute joy to drive.

Driving: I really think that the car is overpowered and for that power under wheeled. The traction control is awesome but when you give it some beans the rear wanders around all the time. You need to be careful at overtaking, at corner exits, with throttle application all the time.... The car was fitted with P Zero tires and i think with Cup 2 it will work better but any tire like P Zero, MPS4S, even P Zero Corsa will have these problems. My 12C with CUP2 is so in balance as a car that for sure i will be most of the time faster in my 12C under real driving conditions because I don’t need to take care of the cars back and what it is doing. I understand RC now that in a group a 720s can have some problems and you need to be very good behind the wheel. I also don’t like the sport mode on drive train setting because the simulated short break in gearshifts makes the car a little bit unstable.

Nonetheless the car goes like hell and the best thing you can have on an autobahn.

One of the problems right now for me is that we have in Austria 32% Eco tax in addition the 20% sales tax and the overall price for the 720s spider is 412k €. For my 12C i would get 110k ... Not that i cannot afford it but that’s a whopping 300k difference and for me it’s not worth it.

I’ve so much fun in my 12C. Did yesterday a 600km trip https://kurv.gr/2m6bX in a spirited style and it was very satisfying.

Can you register the car in another country?

No the government is after these cars. When you drive a car with plates from e.g. Germany or Slovakia you have sooner than later the finance police visiting you and looking for bills (Gas,..) from the country where the car / company is registered. Way too much hassle and then you have the full attention from them ....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776310 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441234 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262502 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260703 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85025 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5452 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880250 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815312 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM