Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cobalt Blue it is then.....

Well put the spec in today, and they'd already had one Cobalt accepted so took the plunge.

Final spec is:

Cobalt Blue
    Ocean Blue interior
    Metropole Blue Hood
    Full Leather
    19" Carrera S Alloys
    Bi-Xenons
    Climate Control
    Heated Seats
    Bose/Wind Deflector Pkg
    Roll Over Hoops in Exterior Colour
    Homelink
    Park Assist
    CDC-4 Six Disk Changer
    Coloured Wheel Crests
    Porsche Crests in Headrests

A few more toys/personal bits than I'd first anticipated, but hell you only do this once, errr OK twice.......... so far!

Now for the wait....

Re: Cobalt Blue it is then.....

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:

...Metropole Blue Hood...

Hood? Is that the top or the actual front hood?

Hood in the UK means top.

That's a nice spec Rich. In fact it's got me waivering about changing to cobalt. I'm thinking of dropping the Porsche sound pack from my order (only chose it because I wanted to make sure I got speakers in the doors, but these are now standard apparently). Therefore I'd have an extra Pounds380 to put towards something else. Cobalt blue paint is top of that list at the moment. The only thing is that my driveway would look really strange as my second car is a VW Polo in Mercato blue, which is an almost identical colour to cobalt (VW only charge Pounds250 for it though )

Nice spec. Are the xenons that much better than standard?? notice a lot of people are choosing them

I'm also still unsure about the color Ive chosen (Silver / Blue).... The color is def the hardest part to choose...

Wish I could actually see some in the metal!

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Well put the spec in today, and they'd already had one Cobalt accepted so took the plunge.

Final spec is:

Cobalt Blue
    Ocean Blue interior
    Metropole Blue Hood
    Full Leather
    19" Carrera S Alloys
    Bi-Xenons
    Climate Control
    Heated Seats
    Bose/Wind Deflector Pkg
    Roll Over Hoops in Exterior Colour
    Homelink
    Park Assist
    CDC-4 Six Disk Changer
    Coloured Wheel Crests
    Porsche Crests in Headrests

A few more toys/personal bits than I'd first anticipated, but hell you only do this once, errr OK twice.......... so far!

Now for the wait....

Congratulations, Rich! I was down there today and had a blast in the 997"S" manual demo car. WOW!! Apart from the performance the thing that really struck me was the sheer quality of all the parts. Incredible! Anyway, no PASM for me. Painted roll bars and crests on headrests? Are they accepting those options now? Apparently the painted rear section of the centre console is available now on the 997 so heres hoping for the Boxster before it is too late. So my spec is also now finalised. Until I change my mind! Can't have Cobalt - already have it on my wife's Kia Picanto. Cost Pounds250 on that!

i would assume this is a january or later build right? since some of hte options mentioned, off the top of my head, roll over hoops, crests in headrests, mabye park assist and homelink, arent availible until the january.

other than that small logistical barrier, this is a beautiful car! personally i'm a more conservative black interior kind of guy, but blue is very cool!

Currently Feb build for me, although I know of one person with Jan build who's also gone for Cobalt - apparently my dealer had 3 people see the Cobalt Blue in Paris and want to change to it(excluding myself), but 2 were too late as they were Dec builds.

RichJ,

I always wondered why people would go for Xenons, I mean std lights do the job hey. But I had them as std on my Lupo Gti and couldn't belive what a difference they make. I live in the sticks so lots of dark country lanes - I think if I lived/mainly drove where there were plenty of well lit roads I'd have second thoughts on speccing them.

Thanks for the compliments guys & gals - perhaps a UK Rennteam meet early next year after a few of us have our cars? (Although the PPBB one we did 4 years ago got off to an auspicious start when on guys handbrak failed on his 2 week old S and rolled down the hill in the car park we were meeting in into 2 other boxsters - two ended up be trailered home and one had quite a few dents!)

Quote:
    Atlantis said:
    ...In fact it's got me waivering about changing to cobalt. ...

I thought everybody was going for silver so far...?

Rich, I would definately go for the Xenons. They should provide better light and, I have to admit that, seem to be taken more serious on motorways when you appear behind someone else!

besides, in a 60k USD or 40k quid car, you would want xenons they are so very worth it.

I wish it was on 60K USD, final spec was knocking on the door of Pounds46K, at current rates that over US$82k - so definitely Xenons!!

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    I wish it was on 60K USD, final spec was knocking on the door of Pounds46K, at current rates that over US$82k - so definitely Xenons!!

US$82K- At a US 997S level with an option or two.

In the UK a base 997 is approx Pounds58K which is about US$104k, the 997S is Pounds65K, US$116K - I used to cry when I was living in the US from that point of view.... I think I worked it out at one stage that I could have bought a Cayenne Turbo for about the same as my Boxster S had cost me in blighty.

the exchange rates are really abysmal lately, good thing porsche hedges against them and is able to provide the USA people with such good prices.

cars in the USA are the cheapest in the world!

at one point a few months ago it was 1.8 or 1.9 to the dollar.!!!

The way this is going there will be more here going for cobalt than arctic silver. Still, I am going to stay with arctic silver. My car now Pounds1.5k LESS than I started with

You absolutely MUST upgrade the sound system. Can't wait to see the pics when you get it...

the sound system is more or less unupgradable with the fiber optic bus.

get the bose and be done with it.

Good point Moogle, just noticed no Bose! You have to get that it sounds great!

Have to say though, Im unsure of the Xenons, my car is currently at Pounds43,00 which is more than enough! Any more and I'll be living on bread and water for the next few years!!!!!!

the more options the better

some MUSTS in my opinion, in order of importance:

guards red
    full leather
    bose
    xenons
    some minor painted options like rollbars and center consoles

most of the other options can be added later.

xenons can be added later but you will lose the auto-level functionality, which is required in the UK/EU, and therefore, you will not be able to retrofit it.

Don't worry guys 'n' gals - Bose is there (with the wind deflector pkg). Through gritted teeth though - always gone aftermarket in the past, but with the 'MOST' system not much option now on Porsches...

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    the exchange rates are really abysmal lately, good thing porsche hedges against them and is able to provide the USA people with such good prices.

From an article that I found:

"German carmakers traditionally say, 'We're in the car business, not the currency business,' " said
    Ferdinand Dudenhöffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research in Gelsenkirchen.
    Mr. Dudenhöffer raised eyebrows here recently with a study meant to dramatize how exchange rates
    can shake up the global auto industry. He showed that the euro had risen so much against the dollar that
    it would be cheaper for Germans to buy high-priced German cars in the United States and pay import
    duties and other costs to have them shipped back to Germany than to buy them at home.
    One example used in the study was Porsche's new Carrera GT sports car, which costs $440,000 in the
    United States. Converting that into euros at $1.30 each yields a euro price of 338,462. Add 16 percent
    in taxes and that total rises to 392,615 euros. Getting the car back to Germany might add a few
    thousand euros.
    The Carrera GT, Porsche's most expensive model, sells for 452,690 euros in Germany. A German buyer
    could save enough in America to buy one of Porsche's new Cayenne sport utility vehicles as well."

I think I read somewhere this is already happening with the 6 series BMWs - so not just the mega-expensive stuff.

Similar to the situation with 'britsh' cars on the European mainland - a lot cheaper to buy a Jag in France for example and ship it back than at the dealership next to the factory.

Just had my confirmation mail back from Porsche following my order on Sat - Crests on Headrests and Colour coded roll over hoops currently unavailable - was thinking about dropping the rollover hoops anyway.

So, now the wait begins in earnest. Still undecided on roof/interior colour - may switch both to black but we'll see.....

Hi Rich

Doesn't look good for my painted centre console then although Friendly Porsche Salesman, following trouser change after my go in the 997, said that some of these currently unavailable options have freed up on the 997 so here's hoping. I think if I had cobalt I would go for grey interior and blue roof, to give a bit of contrast, with, if available, painted centre console. But each to his own, of course 1st/2nd week December drop dead date for changes.

Cobolt is nice, however you still have the issue of that nasty looking grey Air intake on the side!

Anybody asked about getting that color coded yet?? I'm toying with the idea of changing to Black instead of silver but not If you have to keep the silver intakes!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Cobolt is nice, however you still have the issue of that nasty looking grey Air intake on the side!

Anybody asked about getting that color coded yet?? I'm toying with the idea of changing to Black instead of silver but not If you have to keep the silver intakes!

Bet within a year "colour coded side vent slats" becomes yet another Pounds400 option. They're not daft in Zuffenhausen are they

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

Bet within a year "colour coded side vent slats" becomes yet another Pounds400 option. They're not daft in Zuffenhausen are they

@Rich J - I've a picture of the car as my wallpaper with the hope that if I stare at it enough I'll get used to it.

@Dreamcar - you're not kidding, similar thing happened with the old Boxster, although the coloured vents did become std. May hunt around for a bodyshop to colour code them for me.

BTW if you needed a change of trousers after going out with Julian in the 997 (I assume he did his trademark 100mph+ sprint into the carpark off the A31) then you should NOT do a test drive plus

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

@Rich J - I've a picture of the car as my wallpaper with the hope that if I stare at it enough I'll get used to it.

@Dreamcar - you're not kidding, similar thing happened with the old Boxster, although the coloured vents did become std. May hunt around for a bodyshop to colour code them for me.

BTW if you needed a change of trousers after going out with Julian in the 997 (I assume he did his trademark 100mph+ sprint into the carpark off the A31) then you should NOT do a test drive plus

Does have good brakes, the 997. My God, that is some car! I can fully understand why you could be tempted if a) good enough driver (me not, probably) b) could afford one (me can't, definitely!)

congrats for your order ,excellent choice ,dont forget to post pics when you receive it!

Quote:
    [the exchange rates are really abysmal lately, good thing porsche hedges against them and is able to provide the USA people with such good prices.

From an article that I found:

"German carmakers traditionally say, 'We're in the car business, not the currency business,' " said
    Ferdinand Dudenhöffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research in Gelsenkirchen.
    Mr. Dudenhöffer raised eyebrows here recently with a study meant to dramatize how exchange rates
    can shake up the global auto industry. He showed that the euro had risen so much against the dollar that
    it would be cheaper for Germans to buy high-priced German cars in the United States and pay import
    duties and other costs to have them shipped back to Germany than to buy them at home.
    One example used in the study was Porsche's new Carrera GT sports car, which costs $440,000 in the
    United States. Converting that into euros at $1.30 each yields a euro price of 338,462. Add 16 percent
    in taxes and that total rises to 392,615 euros. Getting the car back to Germany might add a few
    thousand euros.
    The Carrera GT, Porsche's most expensive model, sells for 452,690 euros in Germany. A German buyer
    could save enough in America to buy one of Porsche's new Cayenne sport utility vehicles as well."

Add 10% import duty for cars from outside EU and you end up with approx 425k euro. Leaves only a 5% discount on EU price, so not that interesting, I guess

Quote:
    WF said:

Add 10% import duty for cars from outside EU and you end up with approx 425k euro. Leaves only a 5% discount on EU price, so not that interesting, I guess

The main statement of the article was that German car manufacturers use currency hedging to protect their American market. That is why Porsche are so cheap in the US compared to the rest of the world. They are limited in raising their prices. The last time Porsche did not use currency hedging was in the early 90's and it was a disaster for Porsche and it American dealers. Porsche lost money and dealers.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689042 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408934 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255631 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234887 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65469 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857767 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773742 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM