Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Hesitant to let ML55 go

Hehehe I don't know if you guys are over exaggerating or what, but the lag/hesitation issue is not as bad as you guys say it is. I know it's a little bit annoying but not to the extent to say that you feel it's not safe to drive in the city.

You are correct, the Cayenne is safe to drive and some descriptions may exaggerate or overemphasize the safety factor.

BUT, the merging into traffic situation will occasionally produce that severe delay that puts you in a tense situation until the car finally takes off. Maybe you don't put yourself in those situations, I don't know. I do know that I avoid putting myself in those situations now. I allow myself an extra safety margin when committing to a lane change at the entrance ramp because I know the Cayenne can sometimes leave me powerless.

So, ones perception of the safety factor is partly dependent on how you drive. I believe all Cayennes have the same delay problem and yet some owners don't experience any delay at all. Your individual driving habits may be the reason. Some people simply may not drive in a way that produces the effect. Others may drive in a way that makes the delay very obvious.

I still think the Cayenne is a great car. My wife drives an X-5 and I much prefer the Cayenne. In particular, the handling is just so much more crisp on the Cayenne. And off-road, there is just no comparison. Don't even think of taking the X-5 off-road. At the same time, the X-5 clearly has the better e-gas setup. It has minimal throttle delay and finds the right gear right away. It's been nice having it available for comparison. The Cayenne can and should have the excellent throttle response of the X-5 or ML

Same here when I switch lanes it takes a second or two before the car really takes off. Thats the only thing that is annoying

There's a reason for the safety point to be pressed.

To me the hesitation/dead pedal behavior isn't annoying, It's something I've never had to put up with in a vehicle (including vehicles in the Cayenne's class, with e-gas, PSM, etc.) and it is unacceptable.

As has been noted, you can avoid putting yourself in some situations that expose you, there are others that are forced upon you. It's those situations, some of which I've documented to my dealer, that I spent the extra money on the Cayenne to give me an edge in. While the Cayenne does handle well, as my CT stands today, with the hesitation issue, it doesn't give me the safety edge I paid a for.

My standards are high and, from past Porsche experiences, I thought Porsche's were too. While they certainly price the CT like their standards match mine they haven't delivered for me yet.

I stand by, behind and in front of, my statement that neither my wife or I feel as safe in _our_ CT around town as we do in our ML55. The Cayenne maybe able to cut a turn or rut better but _ours_ does not do something as simple and basic to city vehicle survivability as consistently responding to the throttle when it's depressed.

Having written the above I also have to note that I'm convinced that some people don't experience the issue to the level that other do. I think it has a lot to do with driving inter city most of the time. I also think it is something that is worse with the Turbos. Given the opportunity I can drive as aggressive as anybody to 'makeup for the stupidity' of the programming in the Cayenne. I don't think around town is the place to drive aggressive. There's also no way a CT can be driven as aggressively as a CS intercity a daily basis.

There's a reason I press the safety point. If you understand it, you also understand why I'm focused on that point. If you don't, I hope you'll be forever happy with a vehicle that does not perform as it should or can.

Re: There's a reason for the safety point to be pressed.

Quote:
    Having written the above I also have to note that I'm convinced that some people don't experience the issue to the level that other do. I think it has a lot to do with driving inter city most of the time. I also think it is something that is worse with the Turbos. Given the opportunity I can drive as aggressive as anybody to 'makeup for the stupidity' of the programming in the Cayenne. I don't think around town is the place to drive aggressive. There's also no way a CT can be driven as aggressively as a CS intercity a daily basis.

I'm glad you brought this up because it's a topic that has not been discussed enough. Maybe we can all compare notes. I'm talking about the adaptive quality of the shift mapping. How long is it's memory? I have researched this and asked the service technicians but no one seems to have a satisfactory answer. My only clue is the length of time it holds the very aggressive shift mapping I get when I accelerate and brake hard. It's not very long, only a few seconds I think. When I'm driving quickly on a winding road and I detect the aggressive shifting and gear holding, I find it only takes about a quarter mile of straight road and steady speed before the car reverts to the more laid back shifting. Has anyone else had this experience?

I defiantly experienced it GM Austin

You described my exprerience in my MB to a 'T' Gary. It was more noticable than I find on the Cayenne, I always knew what it was doing (or not) and could always fix it. If I started driving aggresively it would respond and continue in that "mode" for the journey (mostly home across country from the office at about 1am) and that thing would fly.

The next morning it would start off the same but after a short while during the regular commute it would revert to sedate/smooth mode.

On the MB it coincided with hitting the "emergency" power button at the bottom of the gas pedal travel, that way it "knew" what you wanted to do it did not have to "guess" or calculate based on behavior.

As I said in another post, they should modify the PSM button to also switch to a sport mode, that would shut everyone up (coffee spillers and racers).

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I'm glad you brought this up because it's a topic that has not been discussed enough. Maybe we can all compare notes.

This is what I find so frustrating about Porsche. They could really help the situation if they promoted dealers forwarding owner's findings and coordinated dissemination of information. Instead I get the feeling that Porsche promotes the dealers dismissing and blocking owner's concerns.

If something is done about the hesitation/dead pedal issue it frequently seems to be done in Wizard of Oz (ignore the man behind the curtain) manner.

I understand that Porsche is trying to troubleshoot a complex problem. I'm also sure that they're trying to avoid a flood of Cayenne 'hypochondriacs' running in demanding the lastest firmware or module updates just because they read about it on the Internet. It's one thing if you are really experincing the problem. It's another if you're just running in about and issue that someone else was having.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Maybe we can all compare notes. I'm talking about the adaptive quality of the shift mapping. How long is it's memory?

Having driven several Cayenne's, and spoken with several dealers at length, I'd say the experience varies greatly. Put driving styles and environments (intercity vs. highway, vs. mixed) on top of DME and other firmware version levels and note comparing becomes very confusing.

Keeping all things the same on, my DME updated and adapted, CT I've been hit by the hesitation / dead pedal both with 100% city driving in intercity traffic and 97% highway driving on an Interstate merge.

If I perform the magic reset my CT seems to be a bit more aggressive with shifting (up shifting appears to be at about 2k instead of about 1.5k, seems to stay out of 6th more and finds the right gear coming out of a rolling corner more frequently) for a couple of weeks. Beyond that I'd say that I'd say GM's description matches with my CT. It doesn't stay aggressive for long. Certainly not long enough.

Quote:
    Mick said:
    You described my exprerience in my MB to a 'T' Gary. It was more noticable than I find on the Cayenne, I always knew what it was doing (or not) and could always fix it. If I started driving aggresively it would respond and continue in that "mode" for the journey (mostly home across country from the office at about 1am) and that thing would fly.

The next morning it would start off the same but after a short while during the regular commute it would revert to sedate/smooth mode.

On the MB it coincided with hitting the "emergency" power button at the bottom of the gas pedal travel, that way it "knew" what you wanted to do it did not have to "guess" or calculate based on behavior.

Unless my memory is failing, there is a big difference between my old ML430 and our current ML55. The ML430 was certainly better than the Cayenne and displayed the classic Mercedes 'press down to go' that Mick describes. It (nor ML320 for that matter) also never exhibited the throttle inconsistently I've experienced with the Cayenne.

Where the ML55 shines it that it is even better than the ML430 at keeping the transmission inline. This is very telling when compared to the Cayenne around town. The 55 aggressively, but smoothly, downshifts and keeps you ready 'to go'. This behavior was really driven home when I watched the 55 during an emissions test. The first technician couldn't keep it in the speed range the test demands. They'd come off the throttle completely and (I assume go for the brake) and I'd watch the speed nose dive out of the test range.

Switching between the 55's behavior and the CT's just amplifies the CT's deficiencies around town.

Sport button for all!

Quote:
    Mick said:
    As I said in another post, they should modify the PSM button to also switch to a sport mode, that would shut everyone up (coffee spillers and racers).

You are dead on about a non PSM sport mode Mick. I've got a loaner CS right now and turning the PSM off gives me exactly what I want from the transmission and think will keep it out of the dead pedal zone.

PSM off (in the CS loanser) behavior seems to map very closely to what the Sport transmission button on the T-reg does. I really love the way it keeps shifts in the 3-4k RPM range with normal around town driving. On top of this it stays in a lower gear and out of 6th much more. I don't think it gives us the 6th gear 'lockout' that the T-reg's Sport button does but just starting out in D1 is a step in the right direction.

I know I shouldn't write this but, once my hesitation / dead pedal issues are addressed, I'd probably be willing to pay for a Sport / Chrono like button and function for my CT. Given what I've put up with, I certainly don't trust Porsche enough to lay out $19kish for the Power Kit just to see _if_ they've gotten it right. I could however, be convinced (we put the "changed accelerator pedal characteristics" in, you like it, you pay for it, you don't we take it out) to go for Chrono like functionality.

I just got my S back with the 05 auto trans module. I have not been on a true test drive yet but it now switches to D1 when I knock PSM off.

Full report soon.

Quote:
    Mick said:
    I just got my S back with the 05 auto trans module. I have not been on a true test drive yet but it now switches to D1 when I knock PSM off.

Full report soon.

Can't wait to compare notes. I figure it'll take me a few weeks for a good review.

At the least, I now understand all the PSM off comments from other folks.

I'd still like to get that Sport button <g>.

Hmm..I'd even settle for being able to hardcode some non aggressive driving shift points between 2nd and 3rd.

My first drive this morning with the updated auto trans control unit installed.

Parts Used

955-618-022-02 Control Unit. Tans

Procedures

37010000 - Tiptronic ODB
    37301900 - Transmission Control Module Removed and Reinstalled

Initial impressions

1 - When PSM turned off transmission now switches to D1.
    2 - With PSM off, Aggressive changes, higher rev mapping.
    3 - All Changes much smoother (significant change)
    4 - On the 90 degree corner test at 45mph, 3 still the lowest gear selected with PSM on, will try later with PSM off

Next Tests this afternoon

1 - Straight line freeway speed kick down
    2 - Merging onto freeway
    3 - acute angle turns with kick down

Seems a step in the right direction.

Looks like we are getting some early reports in on the transmission control module replacement. The module part numbers, for those getting replacements, seems to vary in the last two digits. A user on another forum (LINK) reported a part number of 955-618-022-12 for a 2005 CS while Mick, with a 2004 CS, reports 955-618-022-02. I have a message from a 2004 CTT owner who received a module with part number 955-618-021-03. I began this thread with information I had received from a dealer who gave me part number 955-618-022-11.

The 2005 CS owner mentioned above also reports a possible recall or TSB for the transmission control module replacement, WS515. I have no other information about this and the WS515 does not appear on his service ticket.

Is it a fix? It's still a little early to tell. Two owners report very clear differences in how the car functions with PSM off. The new module starts in D1 when PSM is off and gives a very aggressive shift mapping. My Cayenne, a 2004 S built 7/2003, has always behaved that way so that would not be new for me. The other differences seem to be positive but everyone wants to wait for more drive time before saying anything definite. Stay tuned.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Two owners report very clear differences in how the car functions with PSM off....My Cayenne, a 2004 S built 7/2003, has always behaved that way so that would not be new for me.

As you've excellent at expressing, this continues to be a tricky one.

This is part of what messed with me when RC posted his "Shifting/Throttle Delay POLL." I just knew I had a delay that had left me did in water when I pressed the throttle.

The thing that I find concerning is that there are folks with '05s that are reporting delays after the throttle is pressed. The link you pointed to details incidents with both a CS and CT. It's also notable that both of these folks have experienced a similar problem with other vehicles (the CS owner has an Allroad, while the CT owner is on his second CT).

Did you see the report on this other forum about an accident that is attributed to the delay: left turn across a 7 lane rd

Cayenne Sport Chrono Plus for all!

Yes, I saw that accident report. It's not entirely clear to me how the throttle issue played a part. The driver says it was caused by the delay so I guess we will take it at face value. I hope that's the worst we see before this gets fixed.

BTW, I just dropped my car off for an oil change, tire rotation and turn signal fix. There were four TSB's that came up for my VIN, all new:

W406 - towing module replacement/repair
    W420 - latch/switch at rear glass replacement
    W424 - headlight fogging fix
    W516 - DME update!

I think we must have Porsche's attention finally on the throttle issue. Many things are happening.

Update

Left Turn / Right Turn PSM, off or on, lowest gear at normal speeds = 3. Drive like you stole it (not quite drift) so your kicking down on the apex of the bend STILL = 3

Car back at dealer !

Straight line merging onto freeway.

Still not right the pedal goes down, nothing then everything at once with fury. More than you wanted (but fun except your passenger might not think so) unpredictable, definitely not in control.

I did here a story from my cousin from South Africa this weekend (left turn across 7 lane hway) this happened in an unlicenced taxi in J'berg. It was found that the reason that the taxi with 14 people got squashed by a very large semi was that the disk callipers on one side of the car were held on with chicken wire and they broke free under heavy braking for the light at which point the car did an instant 90 degree turn. So much for Toyota reliablility huh !.

Quote:
    Mick said:
    Update

Straight line merging onto freeway.

Still not right the pedal goes down, nothing then everything at once with fury. More than you wanted (but fun except your passenger might not think so) unpredictable, definitely not in control.

Hmmm .... doesn't sound good.

Anyone else have a report?

OK, new throttle adaptation is required to work with the 05 module. This was done today. No time to test tonight, tommorrow perhaps. Seems perky.

Gary how about these words from the invoice

D When PSM is turned off vehicle responds properly to throttle input

99 That puts it into a "Sport" mode totally different from other modes

D = Service desk fault description

99 = reply from tech.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    The driver says it was caused by the delay so I guess we will take it at face value. I hope that's the worst we see before this gets fixed.

Couldn't agree more on both points.

Its been nearly a week since the 05 module was fitted to my CS. During that time I have done commuting, long haul freeway and town driving, here are my impressions.

First of all the change in performance with the PSM off is quite staggering. The aggression is obvious from the D1 start all through the range. I never could get a D1 start before the change, M1 yes, apart from the cold start scenario.

With PSM on I do notice quite a change to the behavior of the transmission, it seems more inclined to change down than before in response to gas pedal imput in the 40-55 speed range. It does change down faster if you floor it than it did before, I think that response is more like my MB in that respect, but there is still a wind-up.

When floored the revs start to climb quickly but there is still a slight delay before the tranny drops a gear or 2. I think they are using revs instead of G force to change down ( I am not an expert in this but this is my engineering view) All of this happens in a fraction of a second but the delay between revs climbing and the change down is still notciable.

The main things I was concerned with were the 90 degree cornering at low speeds (45 mph into the turn 25 mph out of the turn) and the sprint response joining freeways / autobahn's etc

The S still does not change down to 2 on the corner, leaving you in a torque no-mans land with the engine fighting to respond to the gas pedal in 4 or 3 when its obvious that it should be 2.

Again I do not think the Cayenne has a G force setup to sense the condition and force the logical change. Its a heavy car without gearing help the engine cannot do it alone.

I did not experience the sprint "death" problem at all during my testing, its too early to say but it may be gone, I will let you know if it does happen.

If you have specific questions let me know.

I am pretty happy right now !

Thanks for the report Mick. I have some questions.

1) What is your build date? I am wondering if the transmission control module exchange may only be applicable to the earlier builds. I have a 7/04 build date and have always had the PSM characteristics you describe. I know there was a change in trans modules sometime in MY 2004.

2) Was your control module exchange a result of the W515 recall?

3) Did you also have the latest DME update applied, W516? I am still trying to determine the effectiveness of this update. I read elsewhere that it is only to correct a "check engine" message.

1 - My build date was April 03 Build (yours was 03 also 07/03 right ?)

2 + 3 - The Auto Transmission Module was not changed due to the recall, they were trying to make me happy. But as the 05 module is not compatible with some 04 equipment they had to change my DME to 3.1 so it would work in the car., They did not call it W516 on the paperwork, and I have never had a check engine light.

Yes! My mistake! I have a 7/03 build and it is a 2004 MY.

I have never had a check engine light either. Maybe I will start getting them after this update. Also, I have not read the W515 or W516 bulletins so ... who knows what they really say.

I would like to close out this thread and start a new one, maybe about hesitation in general. With your report, and what I have seen from others, the transmission control module exchange is no silver bullet, at least not by itself. Maybe if we could get a final report from bancu, and then I could start a new thread with a summary of these experiences.

agree

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    1) What is your build date? I am wondering if the transmission control module exchange may only be applicable to the earlier builds. I have a 7/04 build date and have always had the PSM characteristics you describe. I know there was a change in trans modules sometime in MY 2004.

I think you're on the right track related to the build date. My PSM characteristics have changed with the update like Mick's did.

My CT 'build' date was just after Mick's. Going by the driver's side sticker it's 4/03. Service invoices show production date as 5/03.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I would like to close out this thread and start a new one, maybe about hesitation in general. With your report, and what I have seen from others, the transmission control module exchange is no silver bullet, at least not by itself. Maybe if we could get a final report from bancu, and then I could start a new thread with a summary of these experiences.

I agree that the updated module/DME code does _not_ seem to be a silver bullet.

I'll work on a write-up.

One thing I'm hoping, as we write this stuff up, is that people don't go into their dealer's saying they need XYZ update. That seems to be what is happening in some cases and it appears to rub the dealers and PCNA the wrong way. This in turn slows things down.

Am I saying don't go to your dealer if you have the problem? Not at all. Just go in and describe _your_ symptoms.

I'm also not saying that you should be deterred or defected by blocking statements like:

- It's the PSM
      - It's the e-gas
      - It's characteristic
      - It's an SUV

Other 'in-class' vehicles using similar technology do not have this issue, which at its extreme is a safety concern, so just keep describing and chipping away at them.

I didn't see anyone comment on george.chu's fix for the throttle delay problem. Any comments?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441823 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261029 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880717 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM