Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdD0DCifNs

blush

absent:

Why do you think it is schizophrenic?

I would like to know the same? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    absent:

It pretends it's a 911, but it's really a Panemera Coupe

watt:
    RC:
    absent:

It pretends it's a 911, but it's really a Panemera Coupe

I think the "schizophrenic" remark was referring to my post, not the 992. Smiley Smiley

I think the only schizophrenic thing is the price development of the 911... Smiley (as a hint: the McLaren 540C starts at 160k in Germany).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

As posted in the other thread, a “low spec” 991 GTS C4 convertible came at $171k. The 992 will be over $180k. With PCCB and a few leather/carbon options it will be $200k. No thanks.

The 992 TTS convertible price well optioned will be eye watering mail

SciFrog:

As posted in the other thread, a “low spec” 991 GTS C4 convertible came at $171k. The 992 will be over $180k. With PCCB and a few leather/carbon options it will be $200k. No thanks.

The 992 TTS convertible price well optioned will be eye watering mail

But isn't that the case for nearly all sportscars? Smiley

Just have a look: Italian cars like Evo or F8 may start at around 220k to 230k, but with the "right" options you won't get a car below something like 270k (in case of Ferrari even higher). Same goes for a 600LT or a 720S. And "special" versions like a Pista or an upcoming Performante successor are/will be well above 300k. The new hybrid-V8 from Ferrari will take that even further, okay, you'll get 1.000 hp for the price.

But the question remains: who's gonna pay for all this or are such cars in the future only for the super rich? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    But the question remains: who's gonna pay for all this or are such cars in the future only for the super rich? Smiley

Go to any Porsche/Lambo/McLaren track day and you'll find (mostly) 40+yr males beating the hell out of their >250k€ toys. From what I see, the number of rich (enough) people willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money for a car is increasing and Porsche ist King in educating customers about pricing. I'd not be surprised if I could spec a 992 Turbo S for almost 280k€ and still Porsche will sell all of them   

schmoell:
    Rossi:

Go to any Porsche/Lambo/McLaren track day and you'll find (mostly) 40+yr males beating the hell out of their >250k€ toys. From what I see, the number of rich (enough) people willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money for a car is increasing and Porsche ist King in educating customers about pricing. I'd not be surprised if I could spec a 992 Turbo S for almost 280k€ and still Porsche will sell all of them   

Depends on how the economy does and what kind of products the competition offers...

True, the 911 Turbo S is basically the daily driver sports car and the daily driver capabilities have always helped the 911 Turbo S to keep a steady foot in the sports car market but at 280k, I'm not so sure the 911 Turbo S would sell. It is often used as a (pretty stealth) business car and 280k are already a different number than the already too high 210k (911 Turbo S with a few necessary options).

Prices have gone up a lot lately, with Lamborghini charging 17k EUR more for the new Huracan Evo. OK, the customer gets a nice upgrade and many former at cost options are now standard but I think that there is a certain limit on how much "ordinary" people are willing to spend for a weekend toy and I think the limit is in the 200-300k range.

Those who spend more than 400-500k for a car are usually either collectors and/or people who can easily afford it.

I am curious where the 992 GT prices are going to be: I have the feeling that a 992 GT3 RS will easily jump the 200k mark...base price. So the 992 Turbo S will clearly see a 210-215k base price, meaning that a well optioned Turbo S will be around 250k EUR. Minimum. I'd rather see a "960" in this price territory to be honest.

For years, I was looking for the holy grail in the sports car world and the 911 Turbo S came pretty close but in the end, it was "just" another weekend toy car for me and for this kind of money and emotional feedback, not worth it.

Biggest mistake in my life was the Panamera Turbo S. Wonderful car, don't get me wrong, very nice to drive, very sporty, lots of power but neither meat nor fish as we say here in Germany. Smiley At the end of the day, it couldn't make a sports car lover happy.

Am I 100% happy with my current choice, the Huracan Performante? Nope. The reason is different than you guys may think: I need to pay too much attention in this car, being so low and with low profile tires. Too easy to damage on public roads, not always easy. This causes additional stress. On the track, there are usually no potholes, boardwalks, sewer covers which are too high up in the road or the contrary, etc.. Just last weekend, there was a piece of wood(!) on the Autobahn, I barely made it avoiding it. At speeds over 200 kph, not always easy. Long story short: There is no perfect sports car on the market, we need to make compromises, so why not choose something more extreme for those fun weekends, instead of getting something we can use on a daily basis but gets boring soon (911 Turbo S)?!

Some people, like Whoopsy, are of course an exception since they have many other cars at their disposal and also have the opportunity to do some pro amateur racing but for people like me who have very limited financial resources and not much time either,  a 911 Turbo S makes no sense. People like me need a single weekend toy they can enjoy, even if it is only for an hour or two. A 911 Turbo S would be completely wrong for that purpose.

--

RC:

Am I 100% happy with my current choice, the Huracan Performante? Nope. The reason is different than you guys may think: I need to pay too much attention in this car, being so low and with low profile tires. Too easy to damage on public roads, not always easy. This causes additional stress. On the track, there are usually no potholes, boardwalks, sewer covers which are too high up in the road or the contrary, etc.. Just last weekend, there was a piece of wood(!) on the Autobahn, I barely made it avoiding it. At speeds over 200 kph, not always easy. Long story short: There is no perfect sports car on the market, we need to make compromises, so why not choose something more extreme for those fun weekends, instead of getting something we can use on a daily basis but gets boring soon (911 Turbo S)?!

Oops, this one came early this time. Smiley

But on a more serious note: don't you have some experience with your former R8 in this respect? Smiley
    I've never driven one, but could imagine the R8 is not that different in this respect.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

But on a more serious note: don't you have some experience with your former R8 in this respect? Smiley
    I've never driven one, but could imagine the R8 is not that different in this respect.

track oriented car such as performante or the GTs from Porsche are low, like very low...my GT3 is around 120mm front ground clerance, the rear is slightly more with the underbody diffuser.

you need to check your itinerary and pretty much anything on the road will be subject to a damage on the car, potholes, speed bumpers...let alone objects. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:

Long story short: There is no perfect sports car on the market, we need to make compromises, so why not choose something more extreme for those fun weekends, instead of getting something we can use on a daily basis but gets boring soon (911 Turbo S)?!

You have 3 to 4 cars and thus can have a fun weekend car like a Lambo.

A lot of people can only have just one car to do it all, and 911 Turbo, or any 911, is their best choice.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

If you have the means to have a 911 turbo, you are not limited to one car per person...

SciFrog:

If you have the means to have a 911 turbo, you are not limited to one car per person...

If you have, or know someone who lives in Hong Kong or certain Asian countries, you will know how hard it is to get a parking spot. 

They can easily afford a few cars and parking spots, but just not right at their own buildings.  And for some of them, parking some of their cars elsewhere is not convenient and they decided not to do it.

Besides, one can easily survive in these places without owning cars as public transit is way easier.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

I was just in the Provence France with a Turbo S - it was already a challenge with that front height mail

992 Turbo will get 650HP; hybrid version with the facelift. No info about the weight, hopefully Porsche can keep it under control (sorry if that has already been posted )

Turbo with 650hp?  Speed is getting crazy angel 

And Turbo S?

Don’t know if this figure is for the S or non-S, but my guess would be the S

schmoell:

Don’t know if this figure is for the S or non-S, but my guess would be the S

650hp is for the turbo sSmiley

Rossi:
    RC:

Surprisingly...not. Car didn't even have a lift, probably the reason Audi doesn't even offer one. Very good daily driver, minus the exotic look. Chassis was also way softer in Dynamic mode vs. the Performante. I am actually surprised how different both cars are, always thought that the difference is in some details only but both are completely different cars. Even compared to the regular Huracán, the Performante is a lot different. Best example is the gearbox in Corsa mode, the gears change so brutal and fast that you actually think this is a completely different gearbox.

--

Targa Tim:
    RC:

Long story short: There is no perfect sports car on the market, we need to make compromises, so why not choose something more extreme for those fun weekends, instead of getting something we can use on a daily basis but gets boring soon (911 Turbo S)?!

You have 3 to 4 cars and thus can have a fun weekend car like a Lambo.

A lot of people can only have just one car to do it all, and 911 Turbo, or any 911, is their best choice.

OK, I would be surprised if someone who can afford a 911 Turbo or Turbo S has only one single car but yes, if you can choose only one car, the 911 Turbo S is definitely the holy grail of sports cars, no doubt about it. Perfect combo of sportiness, performance, comfort and room for luggage and passengers. Although...thinking about my E63 S...well...I'm not really convinced (anymore).  Especially since you also have that air suspension to rise your chassis (very helpful in winter time or on bad roads). Price-wise, the AMG is also much cheaper.

Personally, I do not see any reason (anymore) to get a 911 Turbo S but I understand why this car is so popular, no doubt about it. I had three 911 Turbo (2x S), so I get it. kiss

--

A famous philosopher once said, “Man’s greatest sin is his fickleness”.

Wonderbar:

I always thought man's greatest sin is man's inhumanity toward man? Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Wonderbar:

I always thought man's greatest sin is man's inhumanity toward man? Smiley Smiley

Yes, but very fickle about the target of inhumanity!

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Dave C👍

We all share a common affliction; always wanting more, no matter how much we have. And in the end we all leave with nothing 

Thats life 

Not all of us leave with nothing.  My goal is to make help make this a better place and remain a footnote in its history.

I'm don't plan on leaving......

bvineyards:

I'm don't plan on leaving......

😂👍🤘

--

CGX car nut:

Not all of us leave with nothing.  My goal is to make help make this a better place and remain a footnote in its history.

Yes you do. You can leave behind a net worth and a legacy of deeds, but when you go, you go with nothing. Nobody gets out alive, period. Enjoy your time here on earth, love your family and buy all the toys you want. The only advice I can give you is not to take things too seriously

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM