Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SLK55/CLS55 VIDEO GERMAN

http://www.kabel1.de/info/aa/autos_im_test/index.php?19279

CLICK UNDER DAS VIDEO

Re: SLK55/CLS55 VIDEO GERMAN

SLK 55 looks pretty nimble -
    4.9 Seconds is pretty good
    since it doesnt have the supercharger,
    any reason why they didnt put it on?

SLK 55 looks pretty nimble -
    4.9 Seconds is pretty good
    since it doesnt have the supercharger,
    any reason why they didnt put it on?

they wanted to use N/A V6s in the lower models, and get rid of any 4 cylinders.

thusly they had to have a V8 to differntuate the SLK AMG from the lower SLKs

they didnt supercharge the V8 because it would make TOO much horsepower if there is such a thing, and compete with teh SL class (not really).

Tom

they wanted to use N/A V6s in the lower models, and get rid of any 4 cylinders.

thusly they had to have a V8 to differntuate the SLK AMG from the lower SLKs

they didnt supercharge the V8 because it would make TOO much horsepower if there is such a thing, and compete with teh SL class (not really).

Tom

The SLK uses a 1.8 litre supercharged fourbanger and the new 3.5-V6 with 4 valves/cylinder in Europe.

The supercharged 3.2-V6 used in the old SLK, C-class and now in the Crossfire was never appreciated.
    Since the SLK shares the platform with the C-class, which uses a V8 also, it might have been a lot cheaper to install this engine.

The SL55 is about twice as expensive - how many people would still buy this car if you can get the same engine in the even lighter SLK?

The SLK uses a 1.8 litre supercharged fourbanger and the new 3.5-V6 with 4 valves/cylinder in Europe.

The supercharged 3.2-V6 used in the old SLK, C-class and now in the Crossfire was never appreciated.
    Since the SLK shares the platform with the C-class, which uses a V8 also, it might have been a lot cheaper to install this engine.

The SL55 is about twice as expensive - how many people would still buy this car if you can get the same engine in the even lighter SLK?

The only reason AMG used the supercharged V6 in the old SLK was due to the chassis' incapability of having a V8 and bonnet space. The old SLK was based on the old C-class chassis and it didn't exactly bode well for performance, hence using a more compact supercharged V6 instead of their V8.

The new facelifted C-class and new SLK share many chassis components, and now can use V8's. The V8 in question is AMG's ubiquitous 5.5 V8 which is really about 7-8 years old now. However, even though it shares the same basic arhcitecture as the old E55 engine block, its all aluminium now and revs to a quite high, 6700rpm. Peak power though is still around 5750rpms.

The supercharged V8 in the SL55 is the same V8, but strengthened much more and only revs to 6500rpms. AMG wanted to take itself to new heights, and with their previous albeit limited experiencne of supercharging, (32 Kompressor) chose to supercharge its V8, hence the V8 Kompressor was developed.

Putting the V8 kompressor in the SLK55 would render all other AMG cars useless, 1500kgs and 500hp and 700NM,= SLR performance (almost).

AMG will shortly be replacing its V8 Kompressor with an all-new 6.3 N/A V8 with 4 valvles per cylinder and high tech gadgetry found in the 350 engine. Some sources say the new 6.3 engine is developing 500bhp/600NM already on the engine dyno, some say it will be bumped to 525bhp for the E-class, and a massive 600bhp for the SL/S/CL. But I think thats wishful thinking at this stage.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39037&stc=1

The only reason AMG used the supercharged V6 in the old SLK was due to the chassis' incapability of having a V8 and bonnet space. The old SLK was based on the old C-class chassis and it didn't exactly bode well for performance, hence using a more compact supercharged V6 instead of their V8.

The new facelifted C-class and new SLK share many chassis components, and now can use V8's. The V8 in question is AMG's ubiquitous 5.5 V8 which is really about 7-8 years old now. However, even though it shares the same basic arhcitecture as the old E55 engine block, its all aluminium now and revs to a quite high, 6700rpm. Peak power though is still around 5750rpms.

The supercharged V8 in the SL55 is the same V8, but strengthened much more and only revs to 6500rpms. AMG wanted to take itself to new heights, and with their previous albeit limited experiencne of supercharging, (32 Kompressor) chose to supercharge its V8, hence the V8 Kompressor was developed.

Putting the V8 kompressor in the SLK55 would render all other AMG cars useless, 1500kgs and 500hp and 700NM,= SLR performance (almost).

AMG will shortly be replacing its V8 Kompressor with an all-new 6.3 N/A V8 with 4 valvles per cylinder and high tech gadgetry found in the 350 engine. Some sources say the new 6.3 engine is developing 500bhp/600NM already on the engine dyno, some say it will be bumped to 525bhp for the E-class, and a massive 600bhp for the SL/S/CL. But I think thats wishful thinking at this stage.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39037&stc=1

Bilal,

Mercedes has a long history in using superchargers. They did so in the very past and started again with the 2.3-I4 Kompressor about a decade ago.
    Even the Mini Cooper S uses a supercharged engine and according to BMW this was only due to their partnership engine-production with Chrysler (hence MB). On the other hand, I remember Mercedes engineers comment on the use of turbochargers, which they heavily denied to use in upcoming models - until the 500hp-V12 came out...

The old C-class was also sold with V8 engines as C43 and C55 - but you are probably right that those engines wouldn't fit inside the SLK's boot without expensive modifications. Remember Brabus installed the previous-generation V8 in the SLK!

I rather believe that they wanted to strenghten their expertise on supercharged engines - too bad that the 3.2-V6 wasn't a big hit!
    The V8 on the other hand, in 5.5litre configuration, seems to be a marvellous engine - no matter if with or without supercharger!

I heavily doubt that the 6.3-V8 will produce 600 hp. 550 at the very highest in my opinion! Power would have to come by high-revving engines and power and RPM-wise they would be in BMW territory. The fact that even AMG engines have to last makes me doubt these numbers!

Greetings!

Bilal,

Mercedes has a long history in using superchargers. They did so in the very past and started again with the 2.3-I4 Kompressor about a decade ago.
    Even the Mini Cooper S uses a supercharged engine and according to BMW this was only due to their partnership engine-production with Chrysler (hence MB). On the other hand, I remember Mercedes engineers comment on the use of turbochargers, which they heavily denied to use in upcoming models - until the 500hp-V12 came out...

The old C-class was also sold with V8 engines as C43 and C55 - but you are probably right that those engines wouldn't fit inside the SLK's boot without expensive modifications. Remember Brabus installed the previous-generation V8 in the SLK!

I rather believe that they wanted to strenghten their expertise on supercharged engines - too bad that the 3.2-V6 wasn't a big hit!
    The V8 on the other hand, in 5.5litre configuration, seems to be a marvellous engine - no matter if with or without supercharger!

I heavily doubt that the 6.3-V8 will produce 600 hp. 550 at the very highest in my opinion! Power would have to come by high-revving engines and power and RPM-wise they would be in BMW territory. The fact that even AMG engines have to last makes me doubt these numbers!

Greetings!

Ferdie, I'm not doubting Mercedes experience of supercharging, hell, they invented the supercharged engine back in 1921. I was commenting on AMG's experience with superchargers. As you know, even though AMG is in-house, their engineers still build separate engines, that are only "based" on Mercedes blocks. The 5.5 V8 is an example of this. Supercharging for AMG was still a unique concept, until now, now they use it quite willingly, but will soon abandon them for N/A or turbocharged motors. The latter, will heavily sacrifice sound quality for torque

Anyways, yes, the old C-class had V8's, but the chassis was incapable of handling the increased noseweight and handling was atrocious. Can you imagine that natural Mercedes handling trait of understeer coupled to a very heavy V8 up front? The SL73 also suffered as a result of the inexperience of engineering in the handling department.

Moreover, I also agree, 600hp for a 6.3 V8 is very high, I also claimed 550hp maximum for this engine. Look at this thread...
    http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84126

I don't think Mercedes would build an F1 type high revving powerplant, especially when that configuration loses low down torque and reduces durability, thats just not Mercedes. However, later on in that thread, you will see a reference to a Porsche 928 engine...surprisingly that only revs to about 6-7000rpm and produces a hell of a lot of HP. Could you comment on this? I am "devoid" of Porsche history , but if such a low revving, high displacement powerplant can make such power, should we really be doubting Mercedes' ablity to make such an engine?

Ferdie, I'm not doubting Mercedes experience of supercharging, hell, they invented the supercharged engine back in 1921. I was commenting on AMG's experience with superchargers. As you know, even though AMG is in-house, their engineers still build separate engines, that are only "based" on Mercedes blocks. The 5.5 V8 is an example of this. Supercharging for AMG was still a unique concept, until now, now they use it quite willingly, but will soon abandon them for N/A or turbocharged motors. The latter, will heavily sacrifice sound quality for torque

Anyways, yes, the old C-class had V8's, but the chassis was incapable of handling the increased noseweight and handling was atrocious. Can you imagine that natural Mercedes handling trait of understeer coupled to a very heavy V8 up front? The SL73 also suffered as a result of the inexperience of engineering in the handling department.

Moreover, I also agree, 600hp for a 6.3 V8 is very high, I also claimed 550hp maximum for this engine. Look at this thread...
    http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84126

I don't think Mercedes would build an F1 type high revving powerplant, especially when that configuration loses low down torque and reduces durability, thats just not Mercedes. However, later on in that thread, you will see a reference to a Porsche 928 engine...surprisingly that only revs to about 6-7000rpm and produces a hell of a lot of HP. Could you comment on this? I am "devoid" of Porsche history , but if such a low revving, high displacement powerplant can make such power, should we really be doubting Mercedes' ablity to make such an engine?

Bilal,

I strongly believe that the connection between Stuttgart and Affalterbach is quite strong.
    Since the AMG engines have to pass the same durability tests as the serial prod. counterparts I don't think this should be a problem. Furthermore the supercharger is bought from an independent manufacturer, if I remember correctly the current ones are from IHI from Japan?

There are several different manufacturers and variants of superchargers so reliability shouldn't be the issue. Besides that, every engineer will figure out what stress you put on an engine, once you install a supercharger. MB's experience with the four-cylinder engines might have helped in this case!

Just figure out that hp/litre ratios usually tell you something about the characteristic. Every engine with a high ratio, e.g. M3, M5, 360 & 430, S2000, have their peak torque on a very high level. Just for comparison, all of the above mentioned range at around 100 hp/litre.
    The 928 you mentioned might produce around 600 hp (?) at the crank in very optimistic conditions and special equipment. On the bottom of the page, 477 RWHP are stated.

In fact every single engine has a slightly different graph. The last one of the 928 looks like the engine is cut-off pretty soon if you consider the graph - it might produce even more hp at higher revs. On the other hand the graph just starts at about 3k rpm, so no clue what the engine produces below that number!
    Fact is, that hp is a product of RPMs and torque. If you don't have torque up there, which is best increased by displacement or charging the intake air, you have to increase the maximum of revolutions and enable the engine to produce more hp. There are of course other features that can improve this, like variable-intake manifolds for good torque AND high hp output, "pulsating" air (can't find the right word in English) in the intakes on n/a-engines etc.

Fact is, on a serial production engine, lasting for several thousands of km in different conditions (temp., moist., fuel quality, driveability) demands are set much higher. MB won't be able to squeeze more hp out of significantly lower RPMs than BMW. So 600 hp would mean 95 hp/litre...

The SL73 shouldn't have been much heavier than the SL600 - the std. car was already very noseheavy, so all AMG could do was to minimize this effect by adapting the suspension!
    The old C-class had a pretty wooden chassis as well, so I wouldn't even fault AMG or their engineers for that!

Greetings!

Bilal,

I strongly believe that the connection between Stuttgart and Affalterbach is quite strong.
    Since the AMG engines have to pass the same durability tests as the serial prod. counterparts I don't think this should be a problem. Furthermore the supercharger is bought from an independent manufacturer, if I remember correctly the current ones are from IHI from Japan?

There are several different manufacturers and variants of superchargers so reliability shouldn't be the issue. Besides that, every engineer will figure out what stress you put on an engine, once you install a supercharger. MB's experience with the four-cylinder engines might have helped in this case!

Just figure out that hp/litre ratios usually tell you something about the characteristic. Every engine with a high ratio, e.g. M3, M5, 360 & 430, S2000, have their peak torque on a very high level. Just for comparison, all of the above mentioned range at around 100 hp/litre.
    The 928 you mentioned might produce around 600 hp (?) at the crank in very optimistic conditions and special equipment. On the bottom of the page, 477 RWHP are stated.

In fact every single engine has a slightly different graph. The last one of the 928 looks like the engine is cut-off pretty soon if you consider the graph - it might produce even more hp at higher revs. On the other hand the graph just starts at about 3k rpm, so no clue what the engine produces below that number!
    Fact is, that hp is a product of RPMs and torque. If you don't have torque up there, which is best increased by displacement or charging the intake air, you have to increase the maximum of revolutions and enable the engine to produce more hp. There are of course other features that can improve this, like variable-intake manifolds for good torque AND high hp output, "pulsating" air (can't find the right word in English) in the intakes on n/a-engines etc.

Fact is, on a serial production engine, lasting for several thousands of km in different conditions (temp., moist., fuel quality, driveability) demands are set much higher. MB won't be able to squeeze more hp out of significantly lower RPMs than BMW. So 600 hp would mean 95 hp/litre...

The SL73 shouldn't have been much heavier than the SL600 - the std. car was already very noseheavy, so all AMG could do was to minimize this effect by adapting the suspension!
    The old C-class had a pretty wooden chassis as well, so I wouldn't even fault AMG or their engineers for that!

Greetings!

Thank you very much for that informative post. As you say, 95hp/litre is BMW M and Ferrari territory, and those engines have extreme stresses, Mercedes will never build an engine like that.

So, shall we say 500bhp and 600NM N/A for the 6.3 V8

...and about 700bhp twin turbocharged?

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=7678

Thank you very much for that informative post. As you say, 95hp/litre is BMW M and Ferrari territory, and those engines have extreme stresses, Mercedes will never build an engine like that.

So, shall we say 500bhp and 600NM N/A for the 6.3 V8

...and about 700bhp twin turbocharged?

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=7678

You're welcome. I hope I could shed some light on that issue - not that I am an absolute expert on that issue but I should know enough people who can give you answers if you have further questions!

Well, I could imagine that they might get it to 550 hp, but 500 hp might be more likely and even more reasonable!
    I am surprised that they want to install a turbocharged version on the McLaren! What about their supercharger technology? What about a certain similiarity to the SLR?

You're welcome. I hope I could shed some light on that issue - not that I am an absolute expert on that issue but I should know enough people who can give you answers if you have further questions!

Well, I could imagine that they might get it to 550 hp, but 500 hp might be more likely and even more reasonable!
    I am surprised that they want to install a turbocharged version on the McLaren! What about their supercharger technology? What about a certain similiarity to the SLR?

Ferdie, there a number of strategic issues that might come into play here.

MB intends to build the SLR for another 6 years or so. With conditions of HP progressing so rapidly at MB, I cannot imagine the SLR will stay at 617bhp for very long. Now, who knows, they may in the future offer a twin turbo 6.3 V8 in the SLR? This type of engine reduced to 600bhp could power the future 55K replacement cars? As the 65 engine can developed over 700bhp, I wouldn't be surprised if those cars were bumped to future SLR power specification, optmistically around 700bhp. I personally think thats wishful thinking at this stage but who knows? I remember when the 55K cars came out, and though AMG will never top these, but they did, and not by 100bhp and 300 extra NM, but by over 200bhp and 500NM (which autocar say the engine is actually capable of (700bhp))

Lets just wait and see how things go, one thing's for sure, its very funny when MB moves the goalposts so far in the HP wars, and then everyone has to play catchup Just kidding Porsche and Ferrari fans

Ferdie, there a number of strategic issues that might come into play here.

MB intends to build the SLR for another 6 years or so. With conditions of HP progressing so rapidly at MB, I cannot imagine the SLR will stay at 617bhp for very long. Now, who knows, they may in the future offer a twin turbo 6.3 V8 in the SLR? This type of engine reduced to 600bhp could power the future 55K replacement cars? As the 65 engine can developed over 700bhp, I wouldn't be surprised if those cars were bumped to future SLR power specification, optmistically around 700bhp. I personally think thats wishful thinking at this stage but who knows? I remember when the 55K cars came out, and though AMG will never top these, but they did, and not by 100bhp and 300 extra NM, but by over 200bhp and 500NM (which autocar say the engine is actually capable of (700bhp))

Lets just wait and see how things go, one thing's for sure, its very funny when MB moves the goalposts so far in the HP wars, and then everyone has to play catchup Just kidding Porsche and Ferrari fans

I don't believe and honestly don't hope that this hp war will continue much further. 500 hp in a car like the E-class is more than enough - I still believe that there are torque issues with the gearboxes. The maximum they can handle are the 1000 Nm in the 65 variants and even that is not really applicable in std. driving!

It somehow makes me a little bit sad that hp numbers are the only way they go for in the moment. German - or better European - cars were never about all-out hp numbers so far and I am a little bit disappointed that that's the way they are going right now.

I would be happy if BMW or MB would provide a more user-friendly vehicle, similiar to the X3 or a middle variant between the upcoming CST and GST, with enough sporting potential. Hey, the A-class didn't receive a true AMG variant in the past...

I don't believe and honestly don't hope that this hp war will continue much further. 500 hp in a car like the E-class is more than enough - I still believe that there are torque issues with the gearboxes. The maximum they can handle are the 1000 Nm in the 65 variants and even that is not really applicable in std. driving!

It somehow makes me a little bit sad that hp numbers are the only way they go for in the moment. German - or better European - cars were never about all-out hp numbers so far and I am a little bit disappointed that that's the way they are going right now.

I would be happy if BMW or MB would provide a more user-friendly vehicle, similiar to the X3 or a middle variant between the upcoming CST and GST, with enough sporting potential. Hey, the A-class didn't receive a true AMG variant in the past...

Ferdie, you really want AMG to stuff their V8 in the FWD A-class? Thats all they seem to be doing nowadays

I personally feel Mercedes is making too many models these days, but if they're finding buyers, then why should Mercedes care?

500bhp is enough now, but what about 5 years from now? It'll will seem almost average. Mercedes is finally starting to build its cars properly these days, just look at the SLK/A and CLS. Maybe the CLS is not exactly beautiful from all angles but the interiors of these cars are top notch. The upcoming S-class will prove to be a wonderful vehicle. The days of cost-cutting are limited, the return of the star is coming, have faith. The cars from Mercedes for tomorrow will be exceptional vehicles in their own rights. I heard ages ago Mercedes plans to make an X3 competitor, so lets see how that turns out, probably will look like a baby ML.

Anyways me and you have hijacked this thread enough, back to the SLK55, what a noise! Does anyone know how they managed to get that induction shriek?

Ferdie, you really want AMG to stuff their V8 in the FWD A-class? Thats all they seem to be doing nowadays

I personally feel Mercedes is making too many models these days, but if they're finding buyers, then why should Mercedes care?

500bhp is enough now, but what about 5 years from now? It'll will seem almost average. Mercedes is finally starting to build its cars properly these days, just look at the SLK/A and CLS. Maybe the CLS is not exactly beautiful from all angles but the interiors of these cars are top notch. The upcoming S-class will prove to be a wonderful vehicle. The days of cost-cutting are limited, the return of the star is coming, have faith. The cars from Mercedes for tomorrow will be exceptional vehicles in their own rights. I heard ages ago Mercedes plans to make an X3 competitor, so lets see how that turns out, probably will look like a baby ML.

Anyways me and you have hijacked this thread enough, back to the SLK55, what a noise! Does anyone know how they managed to get that induction shriek?

Don't worry the next oil crisis will kill the high hp wars, just like last time.

Don't worry the next oil crisis will kill the high hp wars, just like last time.

Bilal,

I don't have a problem with highjacking this thread - everybody is invited to join us.

I cannot open the vid so no clue about the sound you're referring to. I'd say that it is probably due to the intake's sound tuning.

Maybe a V8 A-class might be a bit over the top, but you probably know the twin-engine A-class as well as the HWA A-class with supercharged 3.2litre - V6!

As far as I know a stretched version of the A-class, dubbed the B-version, is supposed to be some kind of entry-level SUV in Mercedes range.

The only negative thing about Mercedes high model output might be their shorter-living design and a slight lack of sophistication like in the past. When you buy a Mercedes nowadays, you don't "invest" in them as you used to in the past.

Anyways, surprisingly lots of people seem to appreciate their current route. My respect!

Bilal,

I don't have a problem with highjacking this thread - everybody is invited to join us.

I cannot open the vid so no clue about the sound you're referring to. I'd say that it is probably due to the intake's sound tuning.

Maybe a V8 A-class might be a bit over the top, but you probably know the twin-engine A-class as well as the HWA A-class with supercharged 3.2litre - V6!

As far as I know a stretched version of the A-class, dubbed the B-version, is supposed to be some kind of entry-level SUV in Mercedes range.

The only negative thing about Mercedes high model output might be their shorter-living design and a slight lack of sophistication like in the past. When you buy a Mercedes nowadays, you don't "invest" in them as you used to in the past.

Anyways, surprisingly lots of people seem to appreciate their current route. My respect!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776824 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441566 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260845 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85122 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880562 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815716 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM