Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Weight of front axle lift system?

Please tell the weight of this system?  Cant find difinitive amswer.  Thanks

Re: Weight of front axle lift system?

Here you will see all details . It is 7 kg

1462110306867Sans titre.tiff

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Thanks Eric,

Sun thinking about another GT3- pccb,lwb,no lifts, lithium battery, exhaust change another 60#....  Since daddy finally has no excess weight, time to think about the car..blush.. For canyon slamming

Watt, FWIW the biggest impediment to selling my GT3 was the lack of a front lifter. No matter what I told the buyer (they would scrape the front end whether they had one or not and replacing the rubber piece costs no more than $250) they stated it was a deal breaker for them. The lifter doesn't weigh enough to make a difference in the driving performance of the car.kiss

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

Watt, FWIW the biggest impediment to selling my GT3 was the lack of a front lifter. No matter what I told the buyer (they would scrape the front end whether they had one or not and replacing the rubber piece costs no more than $250) they stated it was a deal breaker for them. The lifter doesn't weigh enough to make a difference in the driving performance of the car.kiss

I think because your car was for sale without the bucket seats or track mods in Southern CA, it probably didn't attract the track rats.  Those guys wouldn't care about the lift (or even prefer not to have it).

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    nberry:

I think because your car was for sale without the bucket seats or track mods in Southern CA, it probably didn't attract the track rats.  Those guys wouldn't care about the lift (or even prefer not to have it).

My spec as above.  Grant is spot on.  Nick with your spec, it would have made sense to have lifts for the (much larger)  non-weight conscious segment, those seats weigh a lot.

Watt, are you getting a front lifter?

--

nberry:

According to what he wrote , he is not . But I would take it if the main driving is open roads . I use mine quite often, and when I forget, it touches on the speed bumps and when entering some drive ways , or when there are road works  . The RS is not like the R .

--

Gnil:
    nberry:

According to what he wrote , he is not . But I would take it if the main driving is open roads . I use mine quite often, and when I forget, it touches on the speed bumps and when entering some drive ways , or when there are road works  . The RS is not like the R .

Yes according to what I wrote, Im notSmiley

Watt, why bother with the weight question? The entire system weights only 7kg. Surely your not that good of a driver to notice the difference? If you are, then do you take a crap before you go "canyon slamming"?😀

--

7kg, that's the weight of a work bag...

When you' re after weight, any 1 kg get's important, specially at the front,  and, according to what he wrote, he wants as light as possible . 

Still, the lift is very handy on public roads, but maybe Watts will only stick to his bump free canyon roads and flat driveways indecision

--

Challenge that any normal person can actually feel the difference...

In the GT4, because it is so light and agile, you feel a different when the tow hook is mounted or not indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

In the GT4, because it is so light and agile, you feel a different when the tow hook is mounted or not indecision

I would have thought that GT4s are so bullet-proof that the provision for screwing in a towing eye will have been dispensed with, as an additional weight-reduction measure.   Smiley

--

fritz

bluelines:

But but but, you surely weight at least 60-70kg.

So that means the car will be much faster standing still than with you inside driving itSmiley

--

SciFrog:

7kg is not much, a small dog could weigh more, but does the lift kit affect handling? One would think it would have to, at least a little, besides being a bunch of extra moving parts that could malfunction.

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:

But but but, you surely weight at least 60-70kg.

So that means the car will be much faster standing still than with you inside driving itSmiley

Well, all motion is relative, which explains the paradox.

apias:
    SciFrog:

7kg is not much, a small dog could weigh more, but does the lift kit affect handling? One would think it would have to, at least a little, besides being a bunch of extra moving parts that could malfunction.

I don't see why it would.. All it is is a pneumatic actuator in the top of the strut housing. There's no extra linkages or anything.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:
    apias:
    SciFrog:

I don't see why it would.. All it is is a pneumatic actuator in the top of the strut housing. There's no extra linkages or anything.

During "normal" driving the lift system would be inoperative and inactive, so it would be in a failsafe condition which wouldn't affect handling if, for instance, there is a loss of pressure.  

--

fritz

fritz:
    DaveGordon:
    apias:
    SciFrog:

During "normal" driving the lift system would be inoperative and inactive, so it would be in a failsafe condition which wouldn't affect handling if, for instance, there is a loss of pressure.  

SciFrog was probably  referring to the weight affecting the handling . 

--

SciFrog:

Please add up the weight of all the items I mention:  I bet even you could feel it...  It's cumulative, but is addressed item by item....  The lift was the only item i didnt know the weight for.  I dont need lifts, theyre not on the gt4 and are not needed.  Macca doesnt have them on his GT3 and doesnt need them.  And how many of you have done as much gravel and dirt driving as Sun in his GT3 and GT4?  He can well speak to whether he needs liftsSmiley  

Gnil:
    fritz:
    DaveGordon:
    apias:
    SciFrog:

SciFrog was probably  referring to the weight affecting the handling . 

I was not referring to SciFrogs post, but to apias', which made it appear as if he thought that the lift kit might involve "moving parts" which have some role to play (and could therefore be prone to "malfunction") while the car is being driven normally.
    I just wanted to reassure him that this shouldn't be the case. 

--

fritz

watt:
    SciFrog:

Please add up the weight of all the items I mention:  I bet even you could feel it...  It's cumulative, but is addressed item by item....  The lift was the only item i didnt know the weight for.  I dont need lifts, theyre not on the gt4 and are not needed.  Macca doesnt have them on his GT3 and doesnt need them.  And how many of you have done as much gravel and dirt driving as Sun in his GT3 and GT4?  He can well speak to whether he needs liftsSmiley  

Watt, I agree that lifts are not needed. When I was ordering my GT3 Indebated ordering the lifter. My SA took me into his dealer lot an he has two GT3's in for service. He told me one had a lifter and one did not and for me to guess which one had it. I could not tell because both of the cars had scrapes to the front rubber lip. So I did not order it. But as I wrote earlier, not having a lifter was an issue when I decided to sell the car.

--

A lift is just an insurance, one might not need it at all for ages, but there might be that one time it's needed.

But it also only works if the owner remembered to actually use it. 

I have done it myself, misjudging the need to use the lifter and scrap the front lip. 

--

nberry: 

Watt, I agree that lifts are not needed. When I was ordering my GT3 Indebated ordering the lifter. My SA took me into his dealer lot an he has two GT3's in for service. He told me one had a lifter and one did not and for me to guess which one had it. I could not tell because both of the cars had scrapes to the front rubber lip. So I did not order it. But as I wrote earlier, not having a lifter was an issue when I decided to sell the car.

I decided against a used 997.2 GT3 RS due to lack of lifter on that specific car. As Whoopsy says, it is an insurance. The day you need it you really don't want to be without. Even if it is only once.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755611 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79960 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869026 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803144 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM