Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018)

Top end pedal feel  meaning  the first 2 cm pedal travel PCCB is miles better than steel - other than that not much of a difference except that they look better as they are bigger discs/calibers.

From Rennlist:

World wide/North America 

here are the estimated production numbers for 991GT that haven’t changed in months.

2019 Speedster - 1,948 / 685
    2019 GT3RS - 4,740 / 1,671
    18/19 GT2RS - 3,700 / 1,292
    18/19 GT3 - 9,541 / 3,367
    2016 911R - 991 / 323
    2016 GT3RS - 4,621 / 1,529
    14-16 GT3 - 6,459 / 2,133

schmoell:

I've got some questions re the GT3 (RS) and I'm sure some of you can help

1. My Turbo has PCCBs and they are the best brakes I ever had on any car, but for the GT3 RS I want to go for the steel brakes, mainly because of costs, when using the car as a track toy. Makes sense ? 

Makes sense. Go with steel for a track toy. Will save you a lot of money (and possible grief).

2. The Turbo has the sofa seats, which I tend to not like. For the GT3 RS I can choose between the full bucket seats and the foldable bucket seats (hope the translation makes sense). Is it correct , that the height of the full bucket seats can be adjusted, which is not possible for the other one ? If so, is the seating position potentially lower than in the foldable seats ? 

Seating position should be identical. Talk to your dealer, ask them to talk to Porsche and drive to Zuffenhausen for a seating test. Or maybe they have customers with both, so you could talk to them.

3. I'm considering a complete wrap for the GT3 RS, maybe with some vintage theme. A couple of days ago I talked to the nr 1 wrapping guys here in Munich. They said, that the best car color for such a wrap is black. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of black cars (I know, it will not be black after the wrap, but still). Does someone have any experience or even has a non black wrapped car ?  

Thanks for your help
     wink

Black is the optimal color for wrapping. I didn't want a black car though because I wasn't sure if I (color) wrap the car or not and I didn't want to be stuck with black, so I went with white (the worst color for a color and transparent wrap Smiley). 

So you met Gianni in Munich? Smiley Yes, they are the best. Smiley Have you seen his Huracan Performante? If not, it is worth it, just ask him to show it to you. I would never have mine this way but it is pretty spectacular.

You can choose whatever color you want for your car but be aware that if you don't choose black and more of a lighter color, the wrapping will take more material and more time, thus resulting in higher cost (unless you don't care about how the car looks when you open a door or whatever).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (May 2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Some say Foldables are more comfy. Personally I haven't tried them - just passing the word.

Thanks all for your help. very much appreciated !  Still unsure what to do with the color

>>So you met Gianni in Munich?
    He wasn't there, so I talked to one of his guys. They had a white Lambo in the works and I initially thought, that it might be yours; but then realized, that it was missing the wing :). On another note Daniel send me an invitation and I'll likely go there next week. Do you have any plans to visit him ?

>>Some say Foldables are more comfy. Personally I haven't tried them - just passing the word.
    I'll be at Salzburgring on Sunday. Maybe I'm lucky and can test both seats. 

Kobalt:

From Rennlist:

World wide/North America 

here are the estimated production numbers for 991GT that haven’t changed in months.

2016 911R - 991 / 323

That is rennlist at its best...wrong info. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    Kobalt:

From Rennlist:

World wide/North America 

2016 911R - 991 / 323

:-)

Hmmm ... I wonder what correct info might be.

schmoell:

Thanks all for your help. very much appreciated !  Still unsure what to do with the color

He wasn't there, so I talked to one of his guys. They had a white Lambo in the works and I initially thought, that it might be yours; but then realized, that it was missing the wing :). On another note Daniel send me an invitation and I'll likely go there next week. Do you have any plans to visit him ?

>>Some say Foldables are more comfy. Personally I haven't tried them - just passing the word.
    I'll be at Salzburgring on Sunday. Maybe I'm lucky and can test both seats. 

Steel : as other ' s said . All the ones I know that had PCCB have changed them to steel for track 

Seats : The non foldable can be adjusted in hight , but only a few cm 

Color : All  GT3 Cup cars come in white . Nearly all of them have complete wraps for the races . Does not seem to be a problem .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Kobalt:
    the-missile:
    Kobalt:

From Rennlist:

World wide/North America 

2016 911R - 991 / 323

+ 1 

--

Happy with steels here (because tracking). For me the only benefit of PCCB would be the lighter weight, it is a considerable weight advantage of unsprung mass of some 15-17kg as far as I know, translating to better driving feel, but it isn't that relevant (unless you are doing your car with a hardcore lightweight spec way...no radio, no lift, no led, with lightweight exhaust and lightweight wheels and WP for maximum performance...always cool to see those kinds of cars but still it's all about the driver ;))

Regarding the seats, I chose foldable buckets (originally found from 997 GT cars as option) instead of the 918 full buckets for these reasons:

- A more comfortable seating position, with full buckets and helmet you are quite (too) upright.

- Have no need for the seat height adjustment (I have heard some girls preferring the full buckets as you can move them higher.)

- Actually the folding buckets seem to have less space for your butt, you sit in there tighter. So especially if you are closer to a skinny rather than a big guy, then these are better. The 918 seats were originally designed for quite big guys after Porsche got complaints the CGT seats are too tight! (The CGT seats are surprisingly tight - and I love them)

- Easy to fold for a lot of rear luggage space, even with the Clubsport cage you can get there bags etc.

- Foldable buckets are lighter than full buckets as they don't have the seat motor for the height adjustment (very much a minor meaningless detail but this is still a fact).

Neverthless, I do agree that the 918 full buckets are arguably the better looking seat, but I prefer the folding bucket seats. If searching for used car, I would not skip one with the full buckets though (especially as vast majority has them).

Just my two cents kiss

Thanks Gnil, Kaizu. That helps a lot !   

I want to second Kaizu when it comes to ass width of the buckets: yes they are a bit wide.

Another thing I just remembered is that at least I really need to strap in myself hard with the 6-points, I mean hard to sit as steady as in my Carrera GT seats (997GT3).

Btw: just did 4.5 hours of driving with the buckets and I feel better than I would in my BMW 5-Series with the sport seats.

Tomorrow it will be 6-8 hours - just looking forward to it :-)

(If the buckets are comfy or not seems to be very individual.)

Kobalt:
    the-missile:
    Kobalt:

From Rennlist:

World wide/North America 

2016 911R - 991 / 323

There aren't close to 3700 GT2RS being made.

There isn't 3700 clients in the world willing to pay 400k for a GT2RS. Most of those go for Ferrari and Lambo and McLaren.

At best the number will be between 2500-2800.

The extra 100k+ between the GT2RS and the GT3RS is a big barrier for people that try to 'stretch' and go up.

The US numbers are also skewed by those scumbag dealers. 

--

Kaizu:

Happy with steels here (because tracking). For me the only benefit of PCCB would be the lighter weight, it is a considerable weight advantage of unsprung mass of some 15-17kg as far as I know, translating to better driving feel, but it isn't that relevant (unless you are doing your car with a hardcore lightweight spec way...no radio, no lift, no led, with lightweight exhaust and lightweight wheels and WP for maximum performance...always cool to see those kinds of cars but still it's all about the driver ;))

Regarding the seats, I chose foldable buckets (originally found from 997 GT cars as option) instead of the 918 full buckets for these reasons:

- A more comfortable seating position, with full buckets and helmet you are quite (too) upright.

- Have no need for the seat height adjustment (I have heard some girls preferring the full buckets as you can move them higher.)

- Actually the folding buckets seem to have less space for your butt, you sit in there tighter. So especially if you are closer to a skinny rather than a big guy, then these are better. The 918 seats were originally designed for quite big guys after Porsche got complaints the CGT seats are too tight! (The CGT seats are surprisingly tight - and I love them)

- Easy to fold for a lot of rear luggage space, even with the Clubsport cage you can get there bags etc.

- Foldable buckets are lighter than full buckets as they don't have the seat motor for the height adjustment (very much a minor meaningless detail but this is still a fact).

Neverthless, I do agree that the 918 full buckets are arguably the better looking seat, but I prefer the folding bucket seats. If searching for used car, I would not skip one with the full buckets though (especially as vast majority has them).

Just my two cents kiss

918 seats are just bad Smiley They only looks good.

I should know, I have had like 4 cars with them. I endured 23,000km in them in my 918, another 6000km or so in my GT3RS, 6600km in my 911R and tomorrow I will have to put up with it again in my GT2RS. 

They are NOT that comfortable, they don't support that well for street driving. The folding buckets are just that much better. Height adjustment is overrated, it's basically an inch difference. They do however works decently on track.

I simply hate those Americans. It is them that makes the folding buckets not legal in Canada. (Canada pretty much follows the US DoT rules)

--

Whoopsy:

I should know, I have had like 4 cars with them. I endured 23,000km in them in my 918, another 6000km or so in my GT3RS, 6600km in my 911R and tomorrow I will have to put up with it again in my GT2RS. 

They are NOT that comfortable, they don't support that well for street driving. The folding buckets are just that much better. Height adjustment is overrated, it's basically an inch difference. They do however works decently on track.

I simply hate those Americans. It is them that makes the folding buckets not legal in Canada. (Canada pretty much follows the US DoT rules)

Thanks. I saw that in the US configurator. Do you know the reason for this ? Hope you didn't kill your back :)

Whoopsy:
    Kaizu:

Just my two cents kiss

I don't struggle with the 918 seats, but certainly don't like them as much as the buckets in my 997, these were perfect. Perhaps the folding ones would be a good compromise between both. 

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

The best way to beat Porsche buckets is to buy a Ferrari - theirs are the best.

Sun had folding ROW buckets on the .1 GT3, the wide wings were irritating as even with the fold, putting luggage in back a pain, not actually easier than sliding a 918 pass bucket forward......  The Labs actually slide between the 918 easier into the back.....  Sun ordered the .2 GT3 with 918 buckets, not ROW folding although both are available ROW

Even at 163#, the 918 LWBs are fine, but perhaps you should sit in both.

schmoell:
    Whoopsy:

Thanks. I saw that in the US configurator. Do you know the reason for this ? Hope you didn't kill your back :)

I believe it's the collision standard at work, side airbag.

--

I too have the folding buckets in my GT3 and I find them more comfortable than the 918 Spyder buckets in my (Boxster) Spyder.  Furthermore and for what is worth the foldable buckets are about 1.5 Kg lighter than the Spyder buckets . Not relevant for me but for someone else might be.  

schmoell:

Daniel is a very nice guy, so is Niko (if you have to deal with him). I will surely be there when I pick up my car but unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, the VIN is already in the system though, so it can't be long anymore. They had an Evo yesterday there, maybe it is still there if you're interested.

Yes, I met Gianni, very nice and knowledgable guy and he really loves his Performante.

I'll send you a PM once I have a pick-up date for my car, so maybe we can meet.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (May 2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

>>I'll send you a PM once I have a pick-up date for my car, so maybe we can meet.
    Thanks, appreciate this ! I'd bring a bottle of Champagne, but since you don't drink alcohol, it will be Coke Zero :)

So I did a rather quick seat test yesterday (one in the crashed GT3 mentioned in another thread). To give you some reference, I'm not skinny, not particularly fat and about 185cm. To me the non folding bucket seats felt more comfy and the few cm that they can be lowered made a big difference. I'll be in Franciacorta next week and hope to catch some rides with different seats.

- Rick

The 991.2GT3RS is one hell of a car. Even the Mac 600T couldn't cope with it.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/911/2019/mclaren-600lt-vs-porsche-911-gt3-rs-comparison/

--

There is nothing stronger than gentleness.

Has anyone been approached by Porsche to finally get their carbon fibre steering wheel of the Weissach pack fitted?

I believe this activity should be imminent and will have the structure of a “recall” and owners of WP cars should get approached automatically by the dealers.

Maybe somebody already has the experience from a CF frunk lid retrofit? 

nberry:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/911/2019/mclaren-600lt-vs-porsche-911-gt3-rs-comparison/

I always get a chuckle from those that say the engine is in the wrong place... with just that one line I know how much they actually know about sportscars...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

apollo225:

Has anyone been approached by Porsche to finally get their carbon fibre steering wheel of the Weissach pack fitted?

I believe this activity should be imminent and will have the structure of a “recall” and owners of WP cars should get approached automatically by the dealers.

Maybe somebody already has the experience from a CF frunk lid retrofit? 

Got my frunk in January. 

Still waiting for the steering wheel. It is now a 10 month wait !    !! 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:

I always get a chuckle from those that say the engine is in the wrong place... with just that one line I know how much they actually know about sportscars...

I know what you mean...I often got a "oh, you're driving a beetle successor" comment. Smiley

--

Just the coincidence, found out over the weekend my ex wife traded in the Huracan and bought herself a lizard green GT3RS Weissach, market price. Think she is trying to upstage me around town before my GT2RS arrives. 

--

Your ex-wife has good tastes angryindecision

--

Whoopsy:

Just the coincidence, found out over the weekend my ex wife traded in the Huracan and bought herself a lizard green GT3RS Weissach, market price. Think she is trying to upstage me around town before my GT2RS arrives. 

as long as she is not faster on the track than you everything should be fine Smiley

Gnil:

Your ex-wife has good tastes angryindecision

Guess he successfully infiltrated her over the years with knowledge... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690733 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256111 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65730 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774884 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM