Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Carrera GT seized

racerx, calm down and be a little more respecful with other members. Getting personal is not worth it, really, its not going to get you far, calm down and just try to "argue" why you think otherwise. I know its easy to get ruffled up but but its better for ALL of us in the end

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    racerx, calm down and be a little more respecful with other members. Getting personal is not worth it, really, its not going to get you far, calm down and just try to "argue" why you think otherwise. I know its easy to get ruffled up but but its better for ALL of us in the end

Very well said, Carlos!

We have different opinions but there is no need to get personal and insult people.
    And to add some gasoline to the fire: I never liked the 944 and I also believe it wasn't a "true" Porsche.
    But I think the 968 and the 928 were "true" or "real" Porsches but I guess it always depends from what point of view you see it.

And if somebody would put me the keys of a 944 Turbo S in my hands and say "here, take them...the car is yours", I surely wouldn't reject that offer.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I agree RC, except that possession of arms here is no crime. In fact, the right to possess them is ,Constitutionally guaranteed and, at present, no permit or registration is necessary in most states. Certainly none required in Texas.

Well, Gary...I'm a man of feet and fists, not of gun metal.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Certainly none required in Texas.

"Only in Texas"...

now that the assault weapons ban is gone... ...it'll only get worse, or better, depending on where you're from

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Sure, i will calm down, but who threw the first grenade. Usually when someone posts a pic of their car most who comment will compliment the owner. Others will not comment if they have negative feelings or are indifferent. But adias not only shows monumental ignorance of Porsche history but insults me to boot. I am very proud of my car and its condition.
    Who insulted who first, Carlos? I never directed an insult at anyone individual, nor did i insult 911's. All i did is point out what i have read about many times. I think your admonishment would be better off directed at adiass. He was wrong not me.

Tom

The only reason I reply is to set the record straight. I did not insult you - you did insult me.

You state: "Usually when someone posts a pic of their car most who comment will compliment the owner." -- Ah... sensitive, aren't you? Did I strike a nerve, perhaps a little insecurity? But actually, I did praise that model in 2 posts and here are quotes of what I wrote:

"... The 928/944 are interesting vehicles..."

"... The 928/944 are very good cars..."

Do I have an opinion about Porsche models? You bet I do. Am I a 911 snob? Far from that. I love the 550, the 356, the 911, the Boxster and others in the line.

Chill!

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Sure, i will calm down, but who threw the first grenade. Usually when someone posts a pic of their car most who comment will compliment the owner. Others will not comment if they have negative feelings or are indifferent. But adias not only shows monumental ignorance of Porsche history but insults me to boot. I am very proud of my car and its condition.
    Who insulted who first, Carlos? I never directed an insult at anyone individual, nor did i insult 911's. All i did is point out what i have read about many times. I think your admonishment would be better off directed at adiass. He was wrong not me.

Tom

Tom, I was refering to the "What a little baby you are!" "I for one will not miss a fool like you..." "You are a 911 snob" etc. All ADias said was that he didn't consider the 944 and 928 a Porsche. I understand that can feel like an insult to a very proud owner of one of those Porsches (yes, I do believe they are Porsches myself) but it is his opinion clearly not meant as an insult, and should be respected. If you don't share it, you can "arguement" why its not so to you but don't get personal.
    Thats all, I don't want to play referee here, just wanted to try to calm things down before it scalates and we regret it later on, we all get carried away sometimes (myself included, I'm human too) since its only natural with so many opinions and views coming together. You can tell Antonio that the 993 was the last real 911 and that his water-pumper 996C4 is no 911

Tom, Adias might have "insulted" your car but not you.
    You insulted him, not his car. Huge difference in my opinion!

We are here to discuss cars. Many people say the Cayenne is just a re-badged Volkswagen Touareg. I have no hard feelings towards these people because if they don't know the development background as I do, their opinion is understandable. A certain amount of irony and sarcasm is permitted and I have to confess that I sometimes get a little bit too involved in a passionate post, resulting in some pretty aggressive comments. But I try to stay civilized and I don't insult. The fact that our automated word censoring system was targeted by your post shows that you were a little bit out of line.

My personal experience with 944/924 owners isn't always the best, exactly because of a certain reaction when somebody criticizes their car. One german 924 driver even thought he met me on the street (which wasn't true) in my Cayenne and he was so p.ss.d that I (of course not really me ) outran him in the Cayenne and didn't even salute him, that he apparently seized posting on this forum. I have to live with that but to be honest: I don't have a clue why people react that way. I mean a car is a car and as much as I love my Porsches, I would never take such things to the heart. It would be different if someone insults my family but hey, we're talking about cars, a thing, nothing worth fighting for and having hard feelings afterwards.

Your comment
    Quote:
    even today i would take a stroker or supercharged 928 over any 911 variant

actually shows to me that you care too much about straightline performance and that you didn't understand the idea behind Porsche cars and especially the 911. The 911 is not about red light to red light racing, it is about a very unique rear engine design (how many cars still have that, even the new VW Beetle has a front engine...), incredible traction and endless fun. Try it, you might get addicted.

The 928 was supposed to replace the 911, I'm not sure you know that. But it didn't happen, the unique rear engine design and drive feel of the 911 are something which only 911 owners can appreciate. Walter Röhrl, the famous german race driver and Porsche development testdriver recently bought an old 911 with 231 HP for himself. For those nice moments in life... Why didn't he get a 928 or a 944?

No hard feelings my friend but sometimes we have to face reality. And you can't talk about tradition and mention at the same time a supercharged 928. We have those HP monster over here in Germany too, sometimes with gigantic wings in the rear and monster wheels which stick out from the arches. But in the first curve, they're history, no matter if they have 500 or 700 HP.

Porsche is about having fun, not posing. And of course older Porsche cars provide a lot of fun too. But the 924/944 actually drive like every other car from it's production age, nothing special about them. And this is the reason why a lot of people don't consider them to be real Porsches, not to speak about the development process behind these models and the parts used. The 928 of course is a different story, this is where I fully agree with you. But every time I see a modified 928 with a wing big like the one on a Cessna or other bling bling mods, I'm always close to throwing up. Honestly.

And now...peace man.

OK but I took it as an insult. It was and is an insult to the 928 to say it is not a porsche. I have seen it said before and i think a lot of people mean it that way.

RC my 928 sticks to the pavement like slot car and i have been on country roads driving as hard as possible with a 996 in front and a gt3 behind me and they did not school me at very high velocity.
    I have seen you get a little animated also. In the future i will remark only about the comments and not the commenter. As i see that that is acceptable. Since my comments were referred to as bullxxxx. But when someone does not know what they are talking about I must point it out. Just in a nicer way.

If I had the ability to do a screen capture off my TV now, i could show you all a nice shot of Ferry draped on the hood of his 928. But perhaps he didn't recognize a porsche when he saw one.

Tom

Re: I don't get it

The 914, the 924, the 944, and the 928 were all Porsches. The 914/6 used the same 911 transmission, steering rack, front end, the same engine as a 911. Yet I get the feeling that many here do not consider it a Porsche. Same with the 924, 944 and 928. They all carried the Porsche badge. And how about the 912E? Specifically made for the US market. Was that not a Porsche also?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JS said:
    Read this in my local paper. nsnews

125 kph, 150 kph, 200 kph...WOW...what a CRIME.
    We have kids over here racing at night through the woods (NOT Autobahn!) at speeds way over 200 kph. I don't say this is OK and I actually think they're crazy but this wouldn't be worth even a short notice in any local newspaper.

Such "events" usually get to the newspapers only like this:
    "3 young men killed at night when driving home from the disco, they were probably exceeding the legal speed which led to the fatal accident."

I'm really surprised to read how "anal" North American police is about speed. I wish they would be the same about drugs, violence and posession of arms.

Speed traps here in Vancouver are everywhere. There are alot of high power Porsche, Ferrari ,Benz ,BMW and most of the highway system is 90 kph - 120 kph you need to get to the track to enjoy you car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm really surprised to read how "anal" North American police is about speed. I wish they would be the same about drugs, violence and posession of arms.

Revenue generation seems to be one criterion, seemingly more so than the persuit of providing a safer state. I totally agree with your opinion.

For example, on more popular twisty roads and places where bikers tend to go, cops will actually sit there for extended periods hoping to catch a speeder. This is a total waste of tax payer money in most cases.

Unfortunately, the other aspect I must admit (even as an American myself), is that we are not trained as a public to drive at high speed. There are plenty of people with fast cars on the freeway that don't know their own limits or that of the vehicle they are driving. To compound the problem, many drivers multitask while driving and are generally careless while around others. Every morning commute I have to worry about a person colliding with me when I take a left turn in the outside of two left turn lanes. Usually the person on the inside just decides to cut over because it is easier than turning.

Furthermore, a random inspection of tire pressures in various types of cars (especially SUVs) would be quite revealing.

- J

PS: If I am ever caught doing 100+ mph, and the officer is not sympathetic, I can go to jail.

Quote:
    JS said:
    Speed traps here in Vancouver are everywhere. There are alot of high power Porsche, Ferrari ,Benz ,BMW and most of the highway system is 90 kph - 120 kph you need to get to the track to enjoy you car.

I am a regular visitor to Vancouver and am amazed at the car culture. Seems like show is a very big aspect of it, perhaps due the lack of places to drive quickly, especially in areas closer to the city.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    JS said:

I am a regular visitor to Vancouver and am amazed at the car culture. Seems like show is a very big aspect of it, perhaps due the lack of places to drive quickly, especially in areas closer to the city.

There are tons of people wearing their cars like an accessory in vancouver but on the other hand I know alot of true enthusiasts that spend alot of money on their cars and make use of them at the track.

Quote:
    Revenue generation seems to be one criterion, seemingly more so than the persuit of providing a safer state. I totally agree with your opinion.

For example, on more popular twisty roads and places where bikers tend to go, cops will actually sit there for extended periods hoping to catch a speeder. This is a total waste of tax payer money in most cases.

It's not really a waste of taxpayer money. I agree with your first statement, speed traps are a hugh source of revenue for some communities and could in fact reduce the tax load with the income they generate. I am familiar with some cases where judges ordered cities to stop the speed traps because it became obvious revenue collection was the primary goal. In some cases as much as 80% of a towns budget was being funded through traffic enforcement.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    JS said:

Justin, I agree with you 100%. Many of the expensive cars here are strictly status symbols; There are a few enthusiasts though. A big deterrent to sports car enthusiasts is definitely the cops here (and to some extent a lack of an area to let loose). From what i've witnessed cops on the highways are generally lenient until you exceed 20km/h over a 100km/h limit. 30-40 over and its like you've committed an unforgivable sin!!!

In my personal opinion the driver who drives 10km/h slower than everyone else in the fast lane is more dangerous and more likely to cause an accident than someone going 40km/h over and paying attention. i'm not going to mention cellphones, reading the paper while driving The road systems here seem to keep getting worse and worse.

Guess its time to move to europe!!

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    Quote:
    Justin said:
    Quote:
    JS said:

Justin, I agree with you 100%. Many of the expensive cars here are strictly status symbols; There are a few enthusiasts though. A big deterrent to sports car enthusiasts is definitely the cops here (and to some extent a lack of an area to let loose). From what i've witnessed cops on the highways are generally lenient until you exceed 20km/h over a 100km/h limit. 30-40 over and its like you've committed an unforgivable sin!!!

In my personal opinion the driver who drives 10km/h slower than everyone else in the fast lane is more dangerous and more likely to cause an accident than someone going 40km/h over and paying attention. i'm not going to mention cellphones, reading the paper while driving The road systems here seem to keep getting worse and worse.

Guess its time to move to europe!!

It's getting worse here by the day. It seems that the idea of revenue collection has crossed the English channel and has infected Europe. The public has been convinced by the governments, that speeding is unsafe, while not nearly enough attention is being devoted to cellphone, which have been found to have been the cause of a HUGE percntage of accidents. Of course, cell phone use is not as easy to sanction as sitting at the side of the road and aiming your LaserPatrol at some poor, unsuspecting driver.

Wow, I just realized i resurrected an incredibly old post, can't believe i didn't notice until now. I don't even remember how i came across it

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    Wow, I just realized i resurrected an incredibly old post, can't believe i didn't notice until now. I don't even remember how i came across it

Heh heh, I knew the Vancouver CGT incident sounded familiar .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777322 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441726 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262790 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260969 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85242 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5582 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815988 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM