Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

HELP WITH COLOR?????

Hey guys,

I need some major help I have an order for a March production 997S. Right now the color combo I have is arctic silver with blue interior. However I am having some major doubts. I have narrowed my options to these three: arctic silver with sea blue, speed yellow with black, or guards red with tan. I live in canada and almost everyone goes with some sort of silver with black interior. The guards red has really caught my attention it was posted in this forum and it is the main picture for an article on the 911 in the current issue of the Robb Report. The guards red with tan looks amazing, I am just curious is RED a Porsche color?? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: HELP WITH COLOR?????

A great color for a Porsche?......the one *you* like!

My main question is RED a porsche color?

Flame me but there's really no choice if you want to emphasize the sculptural aspects of the car.

I say "no choice" in a _resigned_ way. Would like to see more choices a champagne would be nice. a much lighter "slate grey" maybe.

Pre-production clay models are always in silver.

funny but other than Red, black white and yellow, silver is the only light color. all others are _really_ dark.

Blue and burgundy are arbitrary choices for a this car. Choosing a color because it is your favorite is not a good enough reason.

No one ever says, "Gee, why _silver_?"

Silver gets in fewest accidents (they don;t know why) stays "cleaner" looking longer.

It's the German racing color (yeah, used to be white).

Nothing "boring" about AS. It's just _sounds_ like there's a modicum of truth to that statement.

Matches the wheels, so you don't have alot of contrasts between headlights, wheels and car body: monochrome means sculpture.

Yes RED is a porsche colour

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Yes RED is a porsche colour

I have to agree with you...

I went through the same kind of insanity, first AS, then SY, back to AS, then SY, then CBlue, then finally I came to my senses and without a doubt AS. The other hot colors, including Red, I'm afraid you will grow tired of them. believe me when I first hear that comment, I thought you're out of your mind, how could any one tire of these hot great colors. Well, for me, I cant say more often, but AS is so right for me, I like the fact that it hides minor scratches, swirls, better than the other colors, but most of all, the color just fits me, it looks like it belongs on a Porsche. In my opinion, its not a boring color, its just that a lot of people see why AS is so easy to wear, especially on the eyes. Buy what your heart tells you, just give it some thought, are you going to love that color every time you drive it?

Beside the point that I don't like a blue interior. Please consider that Ocean Blue as well as Sand Beige seem to be leatherette!?!

I'm in doubt about that by myself. A 100,000 Euro car with leatherette?? But it's written so.

best car ever in best colour ever in front of best hotel ever

Quote:
    skinnylad said:
    I have to agree with you...

Quote:
    porsche997 said:
    My main question is RED a porsche color?

Well, yes, I guess it is "a" Porsche color.

BUT really, now, red is "THE" Ferarri color.

I think silver would be "the" Porsche color as red is the Ferarri color.

$.02

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Couldn't agree more!!

i actually own a arctic silver 997s ,its very nice ,but since all my previous porsches were silver ,yes it was boring,i did not feel a reaal change,i decided to order a guards red one ,i saw it, look awesome. you cant go wrong with arctic ,but you might not get the best..

Quote:
    skinnylad said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Couldn't agree more!!

Hm, I'm still not sure about the colour but the rest is absolutely correct. At least until the 997 TT comes out!

I have to admit that I am not too fond of the red colour on the 996 and 997 models, though the very first picture I have seen of the 996 C2 a couple of years ago was the red one and it looked great. The red colour fits much better than on previous models but I would still rather go for a light silver, dark colour or Speed Yellow! Just my personal taste.

In terms of resale value it strongly depends on your market. White cars (and also red Mercedes limousines) in Germany are something like an absolute no-go - though I suppose it will re-appear in the near future. Especially white colours with a tint (towards certain colours like blue) should be a hit in a short time!
    On the other side, from what I've heard, white cars are very popular in the Middle East.

Greetings!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:

On the other side, from what I've heard, white cars are very popular in the Middle East.

Greetings!

thats true ferdie ,and the reason is that in countries like saudi arabia,quatar,kuwait and uae ,the weather is quite hard,most of the year the temp is between 40 and 50degrees celsius,so imagine a black car parked under the sun ,you could fry an egg on the dashboard ,white color doesnt get hot like other colors.

Quote:

Hm, I'm still not sure about the colour but the rest is absolutely correct. At least until the 997 TT comes out!

I have to admit that I am not too fond of the red colour on the 996 and 997 models, though the very first picture I have seen of the 996 C2 a couple of years ago was the red one and it looked great. The red colour fits much better than on previous models but I would still rather go for a light silver, dark colour or Speed Yellow! Just my personal taste.

In terms of resale value it strongly depends on your market. White cars (and also red Mercedes limousines) in Germany are something like an absolute no-go - though I suppose it will re-appear in the near future. Especially white colours with a tint (towards certain colours like blue) should be a hit in a short time!

Greetings!

I understand your apprehension. I didn't think I would ever buy a red Porsche until I saw my latest in the flesh (as it were)and I immediately knew I just had to have it.

For me, an unadulterated 996TT, red with black interior, is about as perfect as a car can get. I need no more in life!

White cars here are ubiquitous. Pretty hideous generally, but there's no accounting for taste and I'm not one to judge!

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    ..thats true ferdie ,and the reason is that in countries like saudi arabia,quatar,kuwait and uae ,the weather is quite hard,most of the year the temp is between 40 and 50degrees celsius,so imagine a black car parked under the sun ,you could fry an egg on the dashboard ,white color doesnt get hot like other colors.

Dhayek, that's what they say around here also - in the century of airconditioning it shouldn't be such an issue anymore. Anyways, I believe that a lot of people do this out of tradition also, what would you say?

I remember a comparison in AutoBild about the heat-up depending on car colours. The differences were comparably low, the amount of glass and their position relative to the sun was way more of an issue if I recall correctly.

Quote:
    skinnylad said:
    ...For me, an unadulterated 996TT, red with black interior, is about as perfect as a car can get. I need no more in life!

White cars here are ubiquitous. Pretty hideous generally, but there's no accounting for taste and I'm not one to judge!

Hey, just go for a red 997 then!
    It is a matter of taste - Russians wear pink leggins and like it. To each his own!

Seriously I don't think there is anything bad about a red Porsche. I wouldn't want this colour on the 911 to 993. The new models seem to look way better in this colour, especially with the red colour currently available for them!

How long are you going to keep the car? If it is more than four years, resale value shouldn't be affected severely - if someone shouldn't like the colour! On the other hand, with internet and the possibility to locate a car throughout the whole country or continent, there might be someone out there that looks for exactly your car in the future. I am currently dreaming about a car with a certain amount of Alcantara and other fabrics, leaving the All-leather path. I do believe that chances are much higher to find such an unusual car on the web now!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    ..thats true ferdie ,and the reason is that in countries like saudi arabia,quatar,kuwait and uae ,the weather is quite hard,most of the year the temp is between 40 and 50degrees celsius,so imagine a black car parked under the sun ,you could fry an egg on the dashboard ,white color doesnt get hot like other colors.

Dhayek, that's what they say around here also - in the century of airconditioning it shouldn't be such an issue anymore. Anyways, I believe that a lot of people do this out of tradition also, what would you say?

I remember a comparison in AutoBild about the heat-up depending on car colours. The differences were comparably low, the amount of glass and their position relative to the sun was way more of an issue if I recall correctly.

i totally agree ,not only tradition but this is what they like and find nice over there its all a matter of preference and i respect that even tough i would never buy a white 997.its true that the color does not affect a lot the internal temp.,but what affects a lot more is an black leather interior,under the sun and with a swimming suit its a guaranteed 3rd degree burn..

Quote:
    [How long are you going to keep the car? If it is more than four years, resale value shouldn't be affected severely - if someone shouldn't like the colour! On the other hand, with internet and the possibility to locate a car throughout the whole country or continent, there might be someone out there that looks for exactly your car in the future. I am currently dreaming about a car with a certain amount of Alcantara and other fabrics, leaving the All-leather path. I do believe that chances are much higher to find such an unusual car on the web now!

I have already decided that I'm never going to sell it, just as I'm never selling my first Boxster! This baby's with me for life!

Then go for the red colour - there seems nothing to worry about! Just make sure that the colour won't wear out on you too soon!

Good luck!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441517 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260817 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85086 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815657 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM