Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Next Macan generation EV only

The Porsche Board has decided...next Macan generation will be an EV only.

It will be based on the PPE (Premium Platform Electric) platform, developed together with Audi.

Mind you, the current Audi E-Tron is still based on the MLB platform.

It seems that Porsche thinks that by 2025, every second manufactured Porsche could be an EV.

Porsche will invest over 6 Billion EUR into EV tech/development until 2022.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Re: Next Macan generation EV only

EV meaning full EV or hybrid?

EV means no hybrid

--

daily (no fun): BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

Press Release 26/02/2019

The Leipzig site is being transformed into an automobile plant for electromobility

The next generation of the Porsche Macan will be electric

Stuttgart. Porsche brings electric mobility to its site in Saxony: The Supervisory Board of Porsche AG has decided to manufacture the next generation of the Macan as a fully electric series. This will be the first all-electric compact SUV from Porsche, and is due to roll off the assembly line at the start of the next decade. The development represents an expansion of the Porsche range in the field of electromobility: the Taycan – the first purely electrically driven sports car from Porsche – will be launched to market at the end of 2019, followed shortly thereafter by its derivative, the Taycan Cross Turismo.

“Electromobility and Porsche go together perfectly; not just because they share a high-efficiency approach, but especially because of their sporty character,” comments Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG. “By 2022 we will be investing more than six billion euros in electric mobility, and by 2025 50% of all new Porsche vehicles could have an electric drive system. Nevertheless, over the next ten years we will focus on a drive mix consisting of even further optimised petrol engines, plug-in hybrid models, and purely electrically operated sports cars. Our aim is to take a pioneering role in technology, and for this reason we will continue to consistently align the company with the mobility of the future.”

The decision to manufacture the next generation of the Macan at the company’s Leipzig site was taken as early as the beginning of July last year. Making this investment in electromobility at the Leipzig site creates the opportunity to produce fully electric vehicles on the existing production line in future. The next generation of the Macan fires the starting pistol for electrification. Like the Taycan, this compact SUV features 800-volt technology and is based on the Porsche PPE architecture (Premium Platform Electric) developed in collaboration with Audi AG – highlighting the future viability of the site and enhancing its flexibility and efficiency even further.

Porsche Leipzig GmbH started series production of the Cayenne SUV in 2002, with 259 employees. Since then, the site has been continually developed to become one of the most advanced and sustainable production facilities in the automotive industry. The Macan model signified a revolution right back in 2011, and is a real success story: when it was launched, the Leipzig plant was expanded into a “full plant”, which included its own body shop and paint shop. When the factory started operations in February 2014, 40,000 units per year of the compact SUV were planned; today it produces more than 90,000 units annually for global markets. What is currently the final expansion stage was put into operation two years ago, making it possible for the Panamera series to now also be fully manufactured in Leipzig, and bringing employee numbers up to today’s figure of more than 4,000. Since the groundbreaking ceremony in February 2000, Porsche has invested more than 1.3 billion euros in development in Leipzig.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

laugh...they are dying(petrol engines)...sad, but I guess necessary...

--

That is a bold move...

One day headlines will say: "Next 911 generation EV only" surprise

--

After 992 circa 2026 generation... The writing is on the wall, only a few stubborn people here have not seen this coming for years...

When battery prices will drop even more, watch Porsche margins explode in 5-10 years if they go full EV although at some point they will have to drop their prices towards the end of next decade.

SciFrog:

That is a bold move...

You got your wish though

--

This is my wish today. In 2022? Who knows...

Don't kid yourself, what else is in the pipeline from anybody else for 2020 that will beat a Macan at its own game, Tesla? lol

--

Range Rover? Ferrari or AM SUV? Who knows... not limiting to EV only...

And when is it arriving? I guess 2021?

21 or 22...

SciFrog:

Not limiting to EV now? You have been going on and on aboit how great the Macan is, but Porsche not making it EV, how crappy hybrids are and how great are EV's and now boom, Porsche surprises with a Macan EV announcement and you are considering ICE SUV's from others?yesYes who knows by 2020, the Macan EV will be outdated by then by revolutionary ICE engines from RR and Ferrari... Sorry, but this sounds like iwhatever Porsche does is a bad move and bashing Porsche no matter what...

--

RC:

The Porsche Board has decided...next Macan generation will be an EV only.

It will be based on the PPE (Premium Platform Electric) platform, developed together with Audi.

Mind you, the current Audi E-Tron is still based on the MLB platform.

It seems that Porsche thinks that by 2025, every second manufactured Porsche could be an EV.

Porsche will invest over 6 Billion EUR into EV tech/development until 2022.

The Macan probably will be the launch vehicle for the PPE platform, followed by the next generation Q5, A5, and A4 for the first phase.  Porsche is going all-in with EVs and has publicly stated that the entire lineup will be EV by 2030.  This means that the 911 will essentially be dead by before the end of the next decade as an EV version will no way replicate the unique driving and handling dynamics of this august sports car.  

You forget that we are still at the beginning of EV development. Technologie will improve heavily.
    I am quite sure, that in 2030 batteries will weight only the half as now. So buidling a sports car with 1500-1600kg will be possible. Lower center of gravitiy and better balanced than now.
    But the emotions a GT3 for example give to the driver will be gone. Performance will be superior.

--

As they should.

Macans got god awful engines, neither sound good or drive good. Might as well switch to electric.

Or, they put a proper V8 in them, say the 550HP V8TT from the Cayenne smiley

--

acky:

You forget that we are still at the beginning of EV development. Technologie will improve heavily.
    I am quite sure, that in 2030 batteries will weight only the half as now. So buidling a sports car with 1500-1600kg will be possible. Lower center of gravitiy and better balanced than now.
    But the emotions a GT3 for example give to the driver will be gone. Performance will be superior.

--

Explain to me, like I am a five year old how this wonderful future EV technology will emulate the weight distribution or the sound quality of the current GT3, both of which add to the driving dynamics and emotions of the car.  

SciFrog:

EV meaning full EV or hybrid?

Full EV.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Looks like I'll have to hold off my plans to get a Macan until the next generation; seeing as generation 2 is due by late 2020/early 2021, that'll come sooner than we all know so I'll hold onto my pennies for the EV version. I just hope they don't get an overdose of the awful touch interiors we've seen on the Panamera/Cayenne/992...

Looking forward to more details as they emerge. Exciting times at Porsche.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

CGX car nut:
    acky:

--

Explain to me, like I am a five year old how this wonderful future EV technology will emulate the weight distribution or the sound quality of the current GT3, both of which add to the driving dynamics and emotions of the car.  

You can put batteries wherever you want and replicate the weight distribution.

Sound will be gone, emotion replaced by vastly superior performances. You can always buy a vintage car with ICE though.

Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:

Not limiting to EV now? You have been going on and on aboit how great the Macan is, but Porsche not making it EV, how crappy hybrids are and how great are EV's and now boom, Porsche surprises with a Macan EV announcement and you are considering ICE SUV's from others?yesYes who knows by 2020, the Macan EV will be outdated by then by revolutionary ICE engines from RR and Ferrari... Sorry, but this sounds like iwhatever Porsche does is a bad move and bashing Porsche no matter what...

On the contrary, I applaud Porsche for making a Macan EV, and even more because it will be EV only Smiley

But I need one now, not in 3 years. My point is that in 3 years, the car landscape might be different from today and I need to get a car to bridge the gap. If I get a Urus now, I will keep it 5-6 years, who knows what will be on the market in 2024?

Sound? Emotion? Forget it, progress is coming:

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/mandatory-speed-limiters-to-be-fitted-to-all-new-cars-in-europe-within-three-years

Sounds like a dystopia. 

Sounds like castration for driving emotions....enlightened I guess this is the time for one to get a NA 991.2 GT3/RS, NA GT4, NA Boxster Spyder or a 991.2 GTS and stick with it for a very long time 

--

That's part of the overall plan.  In a planned economic system, private automobiles are viewed as a wasteful, underutilized asset.  Therefore, the plan is to get people away from the concept of ownership and into the shared economy.  Most major cities around the world already have shared resources ranging from rental bicycles in urban centers to ride-sharing programs such as Uber, Didi, or Lyft.  When high congestion tolls, parking fees, and other associate costs are factored in, moving toward shared transportation resources become the sole economic viable option for most individuals.  Add autonomous systems and the goals are almost reached.

Whoopsy:

As they should.

Macans got god awful engines, neither sound good or drive good. Might as well switch to electric.

Or, they put a proper V8 in them, say the 550HP V8TT from the Cayenne smiley

A V8 would be perfect!

pierre:

Sound? Emotion? Forget it, progress is coming:

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/mandatory-speed-limiters-to-be-fitted-to-all-new-cars-in-europe-within-three-years

Relax, here is the original press release:

https://etsc.eu/in-vehicle-technology-vital-to-tackling-speeding-in-europe/

It will take time...a lot of time. Certainly not within the next three years.

--

Obviously there are already cars available with the ISA tech:

https://etsc.eu/intelligent-speed-assistance-isa/

You gotta love the logic of the bureaucrats and their genius when it comes to statistics: "2,100 lives could be saved each year if the average speed dropped by only 1 km/h on all roads across the EU." heart

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808575 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450202 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267625 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90840 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7758 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837361 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM