Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 992 Turbo Thread Closed

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

According to Lamborghini, the Performante length is 4506 mm and the width is 1924 mm. Height is 1165 mm.

check your manual buddy, the width you mentioned is without the side mirrors..Smiley.

I thought we discuss the width without the side mirrors? Smiley

Without side mirrors the Performante is 7.2 cm wider than the Carrera.

With side mirrors the difference is 21.2 cm.

Mirrors add much less to the overall width of the Carrera because the doors are recessed compared to the rear. Thus the width is extended by just 8.6cm each side.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

d997h:
    reginos:

I inspected a 992 with Sport Paket in Agate grey and I liked it (more). The new 911 is colour sensitive and the Sport Paket hides some of the bulk.

Sitting inside you can see the extra width. It is like sitting in a limousine. I wonder how it would feel on  narrower roads. That's a minus given that the 911 has always been a B road king.

There was a GT3 RS near the 992 which didn't look much smaller, however.

--

I had a 992 4S as a loaner recently with PDDC, RWS, etc...though  you note that it is a big car (for me anyway as my 981 is more or less a shoe box), the handling / turning on twisty roads is superb and feels just like sitting a smaller car...

RWS works miracles for agility. It can even make a Sumo sized car like the current BMW 8 move almost like a Gymast.

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

To me the 997 "felt" the same size as the 996, the 991 on the other hand felt noticeable bigger than the 997, the 992 over the 991? .. not so much really.

I saw a 992 Carrera S today, driving towards me. Some sort of slate grey color. Looked very good, better than expected. This is the first time I saw the 992 from this specific "angle" and I have to say the car has a lot of street presence, like a supermodern 911. The front looks much better (and modern) from that angle and the rear (fenders) looked very wide as well. I liked it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I think the same Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

reginos:
    d997h:
    reginos:

I inspected a 992 with Sport Paket in Agate grey and I liked it (more). The new 911 is colour sensitive and the Sport Paket hides some of the bulk.

Sitting inside you can see the extra width. It is like sitting in a limousine. I wonder how it would feel on  narrower roads. That's a minus given that the 911 has always been a B road king.

There was a GT3 RS near the 992 which didn't look much smaller, however.

--

I had a 992 4S as a loaner recently with PDDC, RWS, etc...though  you note that it is a big car (for me anyway as my 981 is more or less a shoe box), the handling / turning on twisty roads is superb and feels just like sitting a smaller car...

RWS works miracles for agility. It can even make a Sumo sized car like the current BMW 8 move almost like a * Gymast.

* Gymnast

--

Carlos from Spain:

To me the 997 "felt" the same size as the 996, the 991 on the other hand felt noticeable bigger than the 997, the 992 over the 991? .. not so much really.

The 996 and 997 shared the same platform and glass house, no?

996FourEss:
    Carlos from Spain:

The 996 and 997 shared the same platform and glass house, no?

Right, 991 and 992 also share same platform.

I think a lot of the in bigger size issue is subjective perception and it has a lot to do with the bigger interior feeling, and the less sporty and nervous handling with each gen. specially with the 991's forward windshield and electric steering, and now the heavier, softer ride and turbocharged 992. The 992 feels like you are in a sedan compared to a 997, and gives the impression that you are in a bigger car.

Just my impressions though, but in practical terms in day to day there is little difference between the size of the water cooled 911's, they have a similar enough footprint, they turn the same, park them in the same spots, tackle the same roads, etc... subjectively, that is another matter but just as important in the end.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Yes, the basic platform is always shared by two generations (currently 14 years of production) with minor changes.  Major changes happen only every 14 years...

911 64-73 shared with 911 74-89 (however, wheelbase increase in 1969)

964 shared with 993

996 shared with 997

991 shared with 992

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Porsche 911 Turbo S review by Car Magazine

(19th December 2019)

► Turbo S ride
    ► A change in image
    ► Sharper, faster, better? 

— by Georg Kacher (European editor, secrets uncoverer, futurist, first man behind any wheel)

There are very few straight roads in the Black Forest, so it’s just as well we’re in a car that relishes bends so much, and has the comfort and composure to sustain that enthusiasm all day, and the grip to ensure we don’t have a sudden career-change to lumberjack. 

This is not some reckless thrash on the roads that weave through the wooded vastness of south-west Germany. I’m in the very safe hands of a Porsche test driver who comes here so often that he’s given some of these trees names;  and we’re in the new 992 Turbo S.

What’s it look like?

Like most pre-production Porsches, this 911 Turbo S is black with minimal camouflage. There are no visual surprises, but the most significant new elements are the redesigned rear apron-cum-diffusor, which accommodates four trapezoidal tailpipes, plus flush multi-spoke lightweight wheels, bigger and more slippery lateral air intakes, slimmer and wider daytime running lights, restyled bumpers and a more elaborate ground-effect wingwork.

A change of direction

You can see why they might want to keep the 911 Turbo visually low-key, and let its performance speak for itself. It’s struggled with image in the past. Early Turbos were decried as widow-makers that would turn your hair grey between breakfast and lunch, but more recent generations have seemed to target rich ego-trippers, notorious poseurs and chest-wigged best-agers. 

This time, Porsche has steered the Turbo in a slightly more back-to-its-roots direction. 

Give me some specs

If the external changes are low-key, there’s a little more going on under the skin. But nothing that alters the fundamentals – no hybrid elements of even the mildest sort, for instance.

Here’s Frank-Steffen Walliser, the man behind the 918 project, and more recently in overall charge of the motorsport division, but now the new ‘Mr 911’, replacing the recently retired August Achleitner.

How was the driving experience sharpened up? ‘Little things helped: stiffer joints, harder rubber bushings, tighter attachment points, modified spring and damper calibrations,’ says Walliser. ‘What we definitely refrained from is turning a nicely balanced GT into a hard-edged street fighter.’

The cast-iron sombrero-size brake discs measure 410mm up front and 390mm in the back. The tyres measure 255/35 ZR20 front and 315/30ZR21 rear. Variable-rate, variable-effort steering controls all four wheels, enhancing the manoeuvrability and solidifying the directional stability. And there’s a digital safety net that’s highly configurable.

The rear wing is still fixed, but its surface area has been increased by about 20 per cent for even more downforce and straightline sure-footedness. The nose cone sports bigger air intakes to cool brakes and radiators, but it also incorporates a venturi effect bumper-to-underfloor ramp-lip-exit device which teaches the front end manners at high speed. The newly developed engine is fed a bigger dose of oxygen, rams cooler air straight into the intake manifold, and exhales through a modern-art intestine exhaust system which sounds more Harley than Porsche at idle speed. 

What’s it like to be driven in?

Equipped with marginally beefier rear wings and an accordingly wider track, the 992 Turbo S is almost as aggressively-tyred as the GT2 RS. The tiny contact patch deficit is on turf like this easily compensated by the broader calibration of the spring and damper settings. The rear-wheel steering is not quite as slam-dunk radical as in the 690bhp tearaway, and then there is the added benefit of all-wheel drive which demonstrates, apex by apex, a reassuring ´you push, I pull´ effect. 

Repeatable on all types of sealed surfaces, it´s the never wavering turn-in grip that completes the 10 out of 10 handling score. A quick flick at the wheel, a stab at the throttle, a moment’s wait followed by a little opposite lock and, voilà, another creamy slide is safely in the can. I just sit there and watch in awe, gaping, wide-eyed, hoping for an encore.

Despite the intrinsic choke effect of the mandatory particulate filter and the absence of an electric booster, the high-revving but low-end-torquey six-cylinder unit obeys throttle orders with the hurried efficiency of an infallible footman. Fuel consumption? We don´t have numbers yet, but on the road a lot depends on how it’s being driven.

Messing with the settings

We go out again with a Porsche works driver for a second exploration round. On a busy Friday afternoon, you need to know where to go to avoid traffic, and Jonas knows. Unlike Walliser, he activates the sports exhaust – a new option for the Turbo, and one which defies the ‘gentleman’s GT’ side of the car’s character. The same goes for the firmer spring and damper setting in Sport Plus and the weight of the steering, which trades some of the lightness and the relatively strong self-centering force for a more progressive and beefier action. 

There’s no official verification of this, but according to the Weissach grapevine the hottest 992 can accelerate in 2.7sec from zero to 62mph, which is phenomenally quick for a vehicle that– unlike an EV – does require an extra blink of the eye to summon maximum torque. We would like to add that this Porsche can beam itself from a standstill to 125mph in about 8.5sec. (The non-S version of the Turbo has around 580bhp, we’re told.)

Early verdict

A tiny improvement in acceleration and equally minuscule increase in top speed does not suggest that the new Turbo will turn out to be better than the old one. But the finer points do. What matters more is the how, not merely the how fast.

Link: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche/911-992-turbo/

Smiley

Love those rims!

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

Such a busy rear end...

KMM:

Such a busy rear end...

+1

I'll wait until I see the closed version in a proper colour totally without camouflage.

Cabrio 911s especially the Turbo always look odd with a disproportional rear..

--

Where are the four tailpipes referred to in the article?yes

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

nberry:

Where are the four tailpipes referred to in the article?yes

0C5C9F77-1D24-4626-BF21-8073C40E06CD.jpeg

Smiley

Thanks but the picture in the article only shows two.indecision

--

Having everything is nice, but it's even nicer to make sure everything you've got is actually worth having.

No turbo at the LA motor show?

--

Tesla Model S P100d & Model X P90D & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. Tesla Model 3 Performance on order. 

EnglishManInNY:

I don’t attend the LA auto show. 

--

EnglishManInNY:

Looks so....Smiley

Smiley

Great pictures, but I am afraid that looks-wise, this will be a big "meh" for me... Then again, the turbo was never about looks I guess.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Looks pretty good imho. Issue as always will be the sound I suspect 

There will be a switchable sports exhaust on this one.

--

reginos:

Engine program switchable, no button. Also, exhaust cannot be louder than standard mode in any sport mode. Bummer. So basically, the tone will change only, not the loudness.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    reginos:

Engine program switchable, no button. Also, exhaust cannot be louder than standard mode in any sport mode. Bummer. So basically, the tone will change only, not the loudness.

You mean it will be an artificial sound? No exhaust valves etc.?

--

reginos:
    RC:
    reginos:

You mean it will be an artificial sound? No exhaust valves etc.?

The technology is irrelevant: The exhaust sound cannot be louder, under any circumstances, that the "standard" exhaust sound. So manufacturers need to be creative...valves...resonators...speakers...all of them together...whatever.

Also, no exhaust modes "switching" button (as far as I know) for newly certified cars. Exhaust sound can only be "switched" through various driving modes (which are still allowed). 

Sound engineering has new challenges, I am curious myself how this is going to influence future exhaust/engine sounds.

--

That's the price we now have to pay for the excesses of the past few years, with increasingly noisy exhausts with minimal musical value, all very well documented in countless stupid YouTube videos.

KMM:

That's the price we now have to pay for the excesses of the past few years, with increasingly noisy exhausts with minimal musical value, all very well documented in countless stupid YouTube videos.

The YouTube videos aren't the issues here, other than they (might) have ignited a wave of people feeling cool to play with their throttle at a stop light...in a residential area and/or downtown when dozens of pedestrians wait at stop lights. Smiley

The truth is: A few idiots ruined it for us all. This is a fact. At least here in Germany but I assume it isn't much different in other regions. 

Why are they doing that? Most girls nowadays aren't into cars anyway Smiley and apparently it is enough to have the latest iPhone or Android high end smartphone to impress your friends. Smiley

Last Saturday, I was standing with my Performante at a stop light in Munich and a young(er) guy in a Mini Cooper S directly on my right side started playing with his throttle, grinning at my son (who was with me in the car). My son looked at me and told me "what is this idiot doing, why is he doing that?" and I have to admit that I didn't have a clue. 

Then, about two weeks ago, weekend, at night (around 2 am), we went to bed late and opened the bedroom window to let some fresh air in. I heard two extremely loud cars in the neighborhood, very likely a 10-cyl and a maybe a V8 AMG, squeaking tires and acceleration and braking noises. It lasted at least five minutes or so, unbelievable. I myself was ready to go outside, jump into the car and find these assholes. We live in a residential neighborhood with single family houses only, so you can imagine how disturbing this was. Neighbors were already looking out the windows. Another five minutes or so later, we heard police sirens, so I guess someone called the police. 

A major problem is the fact that 90% of the "crazy" drivers here in my town have a migration background and you can imagine what the locals feel and think. These young people don't seem to realize how damaging their behavior is, not only for their own nationality group but also for other sports car drivers who just want to enjoy their cars in peace. 

--

RC:

Then, about two weeks ago, weekend, at night (around 2 am), we went to bed late and opened the bedroom window to let some fresh air in. I heard two extremely loud cars in the neighborhood, very likely a 10-cyl and a maybe a V8 AMG, squeaking tires and acceleration and braking noises. It lasted at least five minutes or so, unbelievable. I myself was ready to go outside, jump into the car and find these assholes. We live in a residential neighborhood with single family houses only, so you can imagine how disturbing this was. Neighbors were already looking out the windows. Another five minutes or so later, we heard police sirens, so I guess someone called the police. 

Well, they were just looking if it was you. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

Well, they were just looking if it was you. Smiley

Smiley Smiley No, the car bully here in my neighborhood is actually that McLaren gynecologist I told you guys about but he is waiting for his 720 S Spider zu arrive, so...no car yet. Smiley Smiley

--

My two AMGs had this very loud sound when starting the engine (after 2 sec it was over).  I always found this more than embarrassing, because - more often than not - I had to leave at 5am. I very much hope that AMG has changed this. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 12:10 PM
    Enmanuel
    802779 1805
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89970 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6445 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885454 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832500 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM