Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide - Europe - France Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ferrari 488 PISTA

Yeah, he doesn't look 100%, but what are you suggesting?

Rossi:

Mr. Harris sounds a bit disillusioned, no? yes

He wasn't too enthusiastic with the Huracan Performante either...

Maybe he just got bored with his job of whatever. 😧

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

He is more into real’s man car...

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

He is more into real’s man car...

Like a Renault Alpine? 😂

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

In this video the Pista sounds just boring.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Are you surprised? No new car will sound better than the old one.

Turbo charged cars will get MUCH quieter because it is very difficult to design a proper exhaust system with particulate filter and all, especially since new regulations say that at no time, an exhaust can sound louder than the "base" sound, even in different driving programs and with open flaps.

Some manufacturers already started to equip US bound cars with different exhaust systems than EU cars. 😟

--

RC:

Some manufacturers already started to equip US bound cars with different exhaust systems than EU cars. 😟

This is what will happen also for cars going outside EU with ROW standard...Porsche as an example for the cars delivered in Middle East...No particulate filter

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

This is what will happen also for cars going outside EU with ROW standard...Porsche as an example for the cars delivered in Middle East...No particulate filter

Lucky bastards... 😉

--

RC:
    Rossi:

Are you surprised? No new car will sound better than the old one.

Turbo charged cars will get MUCH quieter because it is very difficult to design a proper exhaust system with particulate filter and all, especially since new regulations say that at no time, an exhaust can sound louder than the "base" sound, even in different driving programs and with open flaps.

But AFAIK the Pista doesn‘t even have PF. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

To increase the power output of the engine, Ferrari changed the piston rods, improved the intake and did some exhaust mods. Unlike Lamborghini with the n/a engined Performante, it was much more difficult for Ferrari to deal with the changed backpressure and emissions values, turbos and all. This is why I suspect the sound didn't improve, on the contrary.

There is a video of a straight piped non-cats GT2 RS on YouTube. It has a very loud turbo "whoosh" and "turbine" sound but it still sounds like crap. Turbo engines...you have to love them for their power output but sound and throttle response? Well... 🤮

--

Rossi:

What I never understood - why can't you make the car sounding like old days, just not that loud? Smiley

Just turn that volume down but leave the old sound, is that so difficult? 

Lars997:
    Rossi:

What I never understood - why can't you make the car sounding like old days, just not that loud? Smiley

Just turn that volume down but leave the old sound, is that so difficult? 

Loud is easier than actually creating a better sound I've been told. Problems are turbo chargers, catalytic converters, particulate filters and even the room for the muffler (size). Unless you would prefer an artificial sound.

Btw: My E63S and C63S Cab both have "fake sounds" in the interior. The sound of the engine is "transported" through  the loudspeaker system into the interior. They sound both the same from the outside as from the inside but apparently (my guess) the noise insulation on modern cars is so good nowadays that the interior sound gets too muffled. 

Porsche uses that sound symposer and/or a Helmholtz Resonator...basically similar.

The Performante is one of the last cars to have an "honest" sound, interior and exterior: In Corsa mode, hell brakes loose, the Performante is basically straight piped then (with a cat of course).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

No sound symposer on GT cars broken heart

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Do they produce 134db? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    the-missile:

yes, just before they blow up Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:
    the-missile:

The current 5.2 l V10 is much more reliable than the 991 GT3 engines, 3.8 and 4.0 l. Smiley

Also, unlike the GT3 engines, it is actually used 1:1 in professional racing. Only difference is the injection system. Smiley

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:
    the-missile:

The current 5.2 l V10 is much more reliable than the 991 GT3 engines, 3.8 and 4.0 l. Smiley

Also, unlike the GT3 engines, it is actually used 1:1 in professional racing. Only difference is the injection system. Smiley

You have the best, here's a crown! 

220px-Crown_of_George_XII_of_Georgia.jpeg

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

RC:

You know, entering the 9000rpm territory needs some extra risks Smiley the .2 version is for now pretty good.

GT3 engine is quiet close to GT3 cup engine...but I still don't see the Huracan GT3 with AWD Smiley

Oh, the crankshaft bearing are reinforced, secondary fuel injectors removed and different ECU. yes, 1:1 almost Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Porker:
    RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:
    the-missile:

You have the best, here's a crown! 

220px-Crown_of_George_XII_of_Georgia.jpeg

I know, thank you. I know how to choose them (age, eternal wisdom and all... Smiley). You should start trying too. Smiley

--

the-missile:
    RC:

You know, entering the 9000rpm territory needs some extra risks Smiley the .2 version is for now pretty good.

GT3 engine is quiet close to GT3 cup engine...but I still don't see the Huracan GT3 with AWD Smiley

Oh, the crankshaft bearing are reinforced, secondary fuel injectors removed and different ECU. yes, 1:1 almost Smiley

Actually, the Performante uses the same crankshaft bearings... Smiley

I told you about the fuel injection mods and the different ECU really matters how exactly? Smiley

Or let me put it this way: How many parts has a comparable Porsche GT3 race car in common with the road version in comparison with the Huracan Performante and the Huracan GT3 Trofeo for example? I bet you that much more. Engine? Basically the same. 

Or take the GT2 RS: Basically a mix of a tuned 991.2 Turbo S and GT3 RS. Wow...I'm impressed. Smiley Yes, Porsche did a good job in the performance department but how reliable is this thing when you max out the power? We'll see... Smiley

Try to make fun of it as long as you want but I am right. Smiley

You don't see a Huracan GT3 with AWD? Well, I don't see a Porsche GT3 with AWD. Smiley You know very well that a Huracan GT3 with AWD or a Porsche GT3 with AWD would destroy the competition. There is a reason why AWD systems aren't permitted in pro racing series. Not because they make the cars slower obviously. Smiley

Btw: My Audi dealership has the Audi and Lamborghini workshops basically under one roof. My mechanic told me that he's never seen a broken V10 engine in any new R8 (4S) or late model years Huracan. 

Now go to a Porsche workshop and tell me how many engines you see there and/or cars without an engine in them? Just saying... Smiley (yes, I am often walking through the Audi/Lambo workshop and never saw a V10 engine there).

It is actually a well known fact in the sportscar community that those V10 5.2 l engines are bulletproof.

Or ask Vehicle Virgins (Parker) or others who tuned their V10 engines with VF Engineering superchargers: I don't know of any broken engine and some of these cars already put over 30-50k miles(!) on them. Only the bi-turbo setups have serious issues. 

The 5.2 l V10 is Lambo's/Audi's Mezger engine. Smiley 

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

Now go to a Porsche workshop and tell me how many engines you see there and/or cars without an engine in them? Just saying... Smiley (yes, I am often walking through the Audi/Lambo workshop and never saw a V10 engine there).

It is actually a well known fact in the sportscar community that those V10 5.2 l engines are bulletproof.

--

I'm sure they enjoy your constant presence walking through the Audi/Lambo workshops! Smiley

I don't think anyone is debating whether the 5.2 V10 is a good engine, why would they... No need to prove anything.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

I am more often in Audi/Lambo workshops than you are in Porsche ones...but not for the reason you think. Smiley

Some people, like me, enjoy wandering around in those workshops, talking to mechanics, watching them work, exchanging information, for me a great experience and I learn a lot from it. Sometimes the mechanics are not too fond of this but usually, after they get used to me, we're good "buddies" (I usually also bring some coffee or sandwiches, so... Smiley). This is always a condition when I get a car: Full access to the dealer's workshop. Since I always have a very good relationship to the dealer (sales persons, owner, manager, whoever), it is not a problem. You should try it, it widens your horizon and they take better care of your car(s). Unless you already do it. 

--

RC:

The reason could be, that Porsche GT-cars get a lot more track time, than other exotics.

For one Lamborghini or Ferrari on the track, you will see 30 Porsches.

At the end of a Track day - you will see of them in the workshop, one broken down exotic and about 2 Porsches...Smiley

Blueflame

blueflame:
    RC:

The reason could be, that Porsche GT-cars get a lot more track time, than other exotics.

At the end of a Track day - you will see of them in the workshop, one broken down exotic and about 2 Porsches...Smiley

Blueflame

We all have our theories... Smiley

--

RC - if the Performante has only different injectors and ECU it would be the perfect replacement for your R8!  Fantastic sound from that v10 as well.  With the EVO coming out the ‘older car’ may even be discounted. 😎👍

blueflame:

Blueflame

Never saw audi R8 on track day...and saw one Huracan for 30 minutes. GT Porsche are just there at every single event... yes, bullet proof never pushed engine SmileySmiley compared to abused cars...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

blueflame:
    RC:

Blueflame

@blueflame...

could it be that there are pics missing of that new weapon / tracktoy of yours...? Smiley

the-missile:
    blueflame:

Blueflame

Never saw audi R8 on track day...and saw one Huracan for 30 minutes. GT Porsche are just there at every single event... yes, bullet proof never pushed engine SmileySmiley compared to abused cars...Smiley

Simple reason for that: Just look at the price tags. Smiley Smiley

--

d997h:

@blueflame...

could it be that there are pics missing of that new weapon / tracktoy of yours...? Smiley

Off-season - the new toy sleeps under it´s cover...Smiley

But I posted some pics in the "Carrera T-thread" in before Christmas.

Next mission will be in march at the Sachsenring with AMS.Smiley

Blueflame

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM