Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017)

Cool! Ich drücke dir die Daumen :-)

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Cool! Ich drücke dir die Daumen :-)

--

Danke. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Audi Nurburgring 24-hour winner set to inspire a sharper, more driver focussed - and RWD - V10 supercar...

(24 June 2019)

Anyone fancy a rear-drive R8 that takes its cue from Audi Sport's GT3 race car? Because fingers crossed that's exactly what the manufacturer's performance division boss, Oliver Hoffman, is cooking up. Buoyed by the success of the rear-drive RWS and acknowledging that Audi Sport lacks an equivalent to Porsche's GT models and AMG's soon-to-return Black Series, Hoffman said "pedestrian safety regulations" not a lack of internal support are the biggest challenges engineers face when it comes to building a GT3-inspired R8. 

"We have some good ideas for a more extreme R8 as we know the powerful exterior design of our racing car is amazing - people want to drive this on the street," Hoffman told PH at the weekend's Nurburgring 24 Hours, the day before Audi Sport's R8 LMS GT3 won. "The racing car engine is almost identical to the road car's, so that's already proven, but we have the GT3 drivers doing chassis testing for us. For example, Frank Stippler, he's driving our GT3 car and is also our development guy doing the Nurburgring testing for road cars."

Hoffman said that Stippler, who was one of the four winning Audi drivers at N24, is "doing a lot of work with [Audi] road cars regarding suspension and brakes", suggesting the next rear-driven R8 will have a GT3-derived chassis as well. While he wouldn't elaborate any further, Hoffman did confirm that the naturally-aspirated V10 would remain hybrid-free - at least until this R8 generation finishes - so significant increases in power output are unlikely.

That being said, with the most potent version of the R8, the Performance, already producing 620hp at 8,000rpm, few would gripe at a new range-topping R8 restricted to weight loss and downforce. For now it seems like things remain at the drawing board stage - but with the R8's importance as a halo car long established, its motorsport kudos reaffirmed and the enthusiasm of Audi Sport's top man obvious, there's a decent chance we might be seeing something R8-LMS-like wearing road tyres on the Nordschleife in the not too distant future. 

Elsewhere, Hoffman noted that Audi Sport "doesn't feel the need" to offer two-wheel drive versions of any other RS cars despite the RWS's success. He added that the division has no interest in recreating something like BMW's adjustable xDrive hardware - as used by the M5 and upcoming M3 - stating that "quattro is Audi Sport and we believe our customers value all-wheel drive in our main RS cars". That's that, then.

Hoffman also confirmed that in addition to the just-revealed mild-hybrid SQ8 TDI - powered by a twin-turbocharged 435hp 4.0-litre V8 - the flagship SUV lineup will soon grow to include an RS Q8; a car widely previewed during development and thought to output in the region of 650hp.

Link:  https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/audi-sport-mulls-gt3-styling-cues-for-extreme-r8/40416

Smiley 

I thought the next gen R8 was axed? 

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

The last kicks of a dying horse. And an opportunity for Audi to make some extra money from a special edition.

The current R8 doesn't sell very well, it seems. It is a nice, well made performance car but it is neither exotic, nor practical enough nor cheap. Rumour is that it will be discontinued.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

The last kicks of a dying horse. And an opportunity for Audi to make some extra money from a special edition.

The current R8 doesn't sell very well, it seems. It is a nice, well made performance car but it is neither exotic, nor practical enough nor cheap. Rumour is that it will be discontinued.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

The current R8 certainly is no bestseller. 

I assume they will take the basis of the next Huracán "special edition" model (rumored Supertrofeo Stradale with RWD and lower weight based on current Evo) and offer a R8 with a similar concept.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

The current R8 certainly is no bestseller....

I have the feeling that the looks have a great part in this. The original R8's looked mean and lean and sleek and new. The current generation lost most of that imo... it is much more a generic design than the original R8 was. 

--

Joost:
    RC:

The current R8 certainly is no bestseller....

I have the feeling that the looks have a great part in this. The original R8's looked mean and lean and sleek and new. The current generation lost most of that imo... it is much more a generic design than the original R8 was. 

I like the R8 a lot but not the facelift. I'm not a fan of the first gen though.

The problem with the R8 was the price, it just got too expensive and there was no "cheaper" V8 model.

Another problem in Germany was that Audi had special lease offers which were very attractive but many potential customers who applied were rejected. Smiley Another issue was insurance, same thing...potential customers had the money but insurance wouldn't cover them, unless they pay a big premium. Even the RWS wasn't much of a success, probably because traction was crappy and there was no manual. From a driving dynamics view, the RWS didn't offer any advantage over the AWD, even if some reports claimed so (I drove the RWS and it (almost) felt like an AMG...crappy traction).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Audi Sport boss: We are fighting for V10 in next-gen R8

Senior figures have strong desire for 10-cylinder engine to remain, while more hardcore variant will be previewed by GT2 race car at Goodwood next week

(28 June 2019)

Audi Sport is fighting to ensure the V10 remains an integral part of the next-generation R8, despite the increasing likelihood the flagship supercar will go all-electric in its next generation.

Speaking to Autocar at the recent Nurburgring 24-hour race, Audi Sport managing director Oliver Hoffmann suggested there was a strong desire to see the free-revving, naturally-aspirated engine live on in the third-generation R8.

However, increasingly stringent emissions regulations and a broader move towards electrification make such an engine increasingly difficult to justify. Hoffmann explained there is a need to not only identify what type of drivetrain will be most appropriate for such cars, but also which engines would be best suited to electrification.

“The V10 is an icon, and a USP within the segment,” he said. “With the current R8, our customers love this car. We are fighting for the V10, but [for the next-generation] it’s more or less a question of ICE or electrification, and which kind of engine is useful for it.”

Autocar has reported previously that the third-generation R8, understood to be arriving in 2022, will be all-electric, and would potentially mark the end for the use of the V10 by the firm.

However, with other brands within the Volkswagen Group - most notably Lamborghini - reportedly committed to continued use of the V10, most likely in hybrid form, it’s possible we’ll see limited-run V10 versions of the new R8 offered alongside a mainstream electric model.

Hoffmann said: “Lamborghini has to have a naturally-aspirated engine, no other brand stands for NA like Lamborghini.

“We are working very close with the guys from Sant’Agata. The only way to develop such kinds of cars is to share the cost for development work and to have a very, very tough platform strategy. 

“The [current] Lamborghini Huracan is based on the R8 platform, and this helps us - together with Lamborghini, with Porsche, with all the sporty brands in our group - to share the development costs.”

Hardcore race-spec Audi R8 set to morph into production version 

Audi is also tipped to release a hardcore race-inspired version of the R8, previewed by a ‘GT2’ spec customer racing car to be revealed at next week’s Goodwood Festival of Speed. 

Hoffman suggested that more “extreme” versions of the current R8 were a likelihood. “We have some good ideas for a more extreme R8,” he said. “We know the powerful exterior design of our racing car is amazing. People want to drive this on the street.”

He added that “pedestrian safety” issues, as opposed to any lack of internal support, were one of the challenges his engineers would need to overcome before such a model can roll into production. 

Link:  https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-sport-boss-we-are-fighting-v10-next-gen-r8

Smiley

The article makes no sense. 

Audi boss Abraham Schot has recently (end of May) already told shareholders that the Audi R8 will be discontinued.

--

"Hybrids and rear-drive: a peek into the Audi R8’s future" (Top Gear)

(28 June 2019)

The Audi R8 won its fifth Nürburgring 24-hour race in eight years last weekend. Quite the record, then, but when will it all lead to a properly hardcore road car?

“We have some good ideas for more extreme models of the R8,” says Audi Sport boss Oliver Hoffman. “Developing the R8 road and race cars in parallel was a great experience for both sides. The R8 GT3 shares 50 per cent of parts with the road car, the GT4 60 per cent, and they actually produce less power on the race track.”

They’re also rear-wheel drive. Is that something we’ll see again in the R8, following the limited-run R8 RWS?

“The RWS (pictured, blue) was a success,” assures Hoffman. “You spoke about some new, extreme models… maybe we will launch some extreme cars regarding the RWS.”

We can hear your whoops of delight from here. But could an R8 that rivals the 911 GT3 RS (and its ilk) ever look as wild, taking more inspiration from ginormously winged R8 racers?

“The powerful exterior design is amazing and everyone wants to drive it on the street,” says Hoffman. “The problem is pedestrian safety, where there are very high regulations.”

While the R8 will continue with V10 power in its current form, there’s a much bigger question mark for the model’s future, but Lamborghini’s endeavours to keep naturally aspirated engines alive – using electrical assistance – could benefit Audi’s next sports car.

“It doesn’t make sense to change the engine for the current model,” Hoffman tells us. “The V10 is an icon and provides a USP in the segment. Our customers love this car and its naturally aspirated engine. We are fighting for the V10 but it’s a question of how high is the electrification, and which kind of engine is useful for it?

“The Huracan is based on the R8 platform and this helps us – along with all the other sporty brands in our group – to share the development costs. Lamborghini has to have a naturally aspirated engine, no other brand stands for them like it does.

“We are working very close with the guys in Sant’Agata. This is the only way to develop this kind of car, to share the cost, to have a very tough platform strategy. We work very closely with Porsche and Lamborghini. It is the only way to make such cars in the future.”

If Audi works so closely its cousins, though, does it not pose problems if it wants to launch more extreme road cars?

“What you see on the racetrack is perfect,” he says. “If we fight for the victory with Porsche everything is fine.”

If they keep on winning he’ll be very happy indeed.

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/hybrids-and-rear-drive-peek-audi-r8s-future

Smiley 

Extreme version, rear wheel drive, lightweight, racecar like...perfect ingredients. Please deliver. smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Extreme version, rear wheel drive, lightweight, racecar like...perfect ingredients. Please deliver. smiley

Yeah...because that R8 RWS was a huge success, right?! Smiley (hint: dealers tried for months to get rid of these cars, some were offered for 999 EUR per month leases without initial payment and incl. VAT, cars priced at around 165k EUR).

All these articles make no sense since the Audi boss has already announced that the R8 will be discontinued. Smiley

--

RWS had nothing special apart the 2WD. Castrated, no lightweight, no extreme. Just numbered. We have to be realistic, Audi tried to make a different version with same ingredients than Porsche. Very little and let’s try marketing. But Audi is no Porsche. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:
    the-missile:

Yeah...because that R8 RWS was a huge success, right?! Smiley (hint: dealers tried for months to get rid of these cars, some were offered for 999 EUR per month leases without initial payment and incl. VAT, cars priced at around 165k EUR).

All these articles make no sense since the Audi boss has already announced that the R8 will be discontinued. Smiley

Do you have bad dreams at night about 2WD cars? SmileySmiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    RC:
    the-missile:

Do you have bad dreams at night about 2WD cars? SmileySmiley

I don't like them. Only 2WD car I like is the 911 because this car has no major traction issues.

Just take a 720S for a spin and you'll find out fast why too much power and 2WD aren't always fun. McLaren has an amazing traction control but at some point, the software magic is done.

When a car is overpowered, 2WD becomes a nightmare. Take my wife's C63: Lots of fun to drift, to do stupid stuff on a closed road/parking lot but if you want to enjoy it on a pass road or even on the track, you have to forget about being the fastest. I know that some people define fun by going sideways but my adolescent years are over. Smiley I define fun by not sweating all the time because the car cannot put the power on the ground. The C63 has always traction issues, even in C mode, even when adapting Individual mode to the "safest" setting. 

I know there are people who cannot really drive 4WD cars (they offer require a certain driving style adaptation and if you are used to 2WD, 4WD can be a pain in the ass), this is why they prefer 2WD cars but I got used to 4WD early, so maybe this is the reason I prefer it over 2WD. Same goes to the tranny, I prefer DCT gearboxes over manual gearboxes but to your surprise, I always shift manually in my Performante.

--

Stating "my adolescent years are over" in the same sentence as "then you have to forget about being the fastest" doesn't really compute. 

I have no desire whatsoever to be "the fastest", certainly not on the public road, hence I much prefer the clarity, purity and simplicity of a 2WD setup. In everything from a sedan to a sportscar. 

I agree one 4WD family car is a must in Bavaria or in the Alps obviously.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

Stating "my adolescent years are over" in the same sentence as "then you have to forget about being the fastest" doesn't really compute. 

I still have a little bit of ambition in me, so yes, I want to be the fastest but it isn't easy with the pack I'm driving around, too many excellent drivers who have a much more professional driving background than me. Smiley I can still try though... Smiley Keeping up is sometimes very satisfactory as well, especially when you drive along with real pros. Only downside is that you never know if they really try hard. They say yes but you never really know. Nice people who don't want others to feel bad. Smiley Or maybe I'm just too skeptical and they tell the truth. Smiley

I have no desire whatsoever to be "the fastest", certainly not on the public road, hence I much prefer the clarity, purity and simplicity of a 2WD setup. In everything from a sedan to a sportscar. 

2WD is less safe than 4WD on public roads, in any driving situation. Your claim kind of contradicts what you say. Smiley

Also, I know people who drove with you on public roads. Do you really want to tell me that you respect the law 100%? Smiley Smiley

I agree one 4WD family car is a must in Bavaria or in the Alps obviously.

A 911 is actually pretty drivable in winter time but a C63 for example not. 4WD is not a must but a very welcomed feature, I wouldn't want to miss it on a family car.

--

RC:
    Porker:

2WD is less safe than 4WD on public roads, in any driving situation. Your claim kind of contradicts what you say. Smiley

Also, I know people who drove with you on public roads. Do you really want to tell me that you respect the law 100%? Smiley Smiley

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I'm anything but holy on any occasion. I'm just saying I don't try to be the fastest anywhere, but certainly not on the public road. That's all.

--

Audi R8 LMS GT2 deliveries...

EC62581B-D25C-4E8B-B174-3310517137B5.jpeg

E65A2B1F-CA70-414B-928E-32F2355765C6.jpeg

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661435 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400996 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254572 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229040 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59386 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853366 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761522 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM